I was thinking about this while going looking at a debate about Bruce Lee's type, and the most convincing arguments I kept seeing were either for ISTP or INFJ, and I've seen this before with others like Leonard Cohen and George Harrison, and it got me to thinking about how our types can be hard to tell apart sometimes. In a way, this makes sense, we share all the same cognitive functions, and we don't repress the other's dominant function; and yet, according to traditional MBTI thought, we're meant to be very different. So I wondered if we might come up with a list of similarities and differences between us.
- Can be very aloof with other people. Though the reason for this is different–ISTPs don't really seem all that interested in other people outside of their circle, whereas INFJs have this weirdo complex where we don't feel as though we fit in with others.
- Prone to overthinking things.
- Both tend to have a melancholic and/or contemplative air about them.
- While not as much as our extroverted cousins, we both can be charming with people we're comfortable with.
- ISTPs tend to be more blunt, or brutally honest; whereas INFJs tend to be more diplomatic in what they say to avoid offending others.
- ISTPs have a direct, concise way of speaking. INFJs deal much more heavily in abstractions.
- INFJs like to discuss their feelings with others and "vent." ISTPs just "deal with it."