Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm supposedly an ENTJ based on my many tests but I just took a really great cognitive function analysis quiz that I found in another thread and got the following result:

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.8)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************* (31.8)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************** (23.7)
limited use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************* (31.8)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************************** (39.1)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.9)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************** (23.5)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.6)
average use
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Thinking (Te): Measuring and constructing for progress. Making decisions objectively based on evidence and measures. Checking if things function properly. Applying a procedure to control events and complete goals.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTJ, or ISTJ

I read about ISTJ and that is absolutely NOT me, but INTJ and ENTJ both sound a lot like me, so I'd love to hear some comparisons between the two to get some clarity on the marked differences.

For example, do one of these two types have to have the absolute definitive answer to something more than the other? lol

And for the record I'm a very outgoing person and I like to be around people, but I wouldn't say wildly extroverted like my ENFJ husband is, to give some context as to why I would even be considering an I type for myself.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I think that if you would be an INTJ you wouldn't be able to live with an ENFJ husband. ENTJ's however can deal much better with ENFJ's.

ENTJ's are more focused on convincing other people of what they think they should be convinced of. INTJ's will try to convince other people too, but if that seems to be impossible, they won't be interested in wasting more time on it. (Where ENTJ's won't stop until they changed that person's opinion.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that if you would be an INTJ you wouldn't be able to live with an ENFJ husband. ENTJ's however can deal much better with ENFJ's.

ENTJ's are more focused on convincing other people of what they think they should be convinced of. INTJ's will try to convince other people too, but if that seems to be impossible, they won't be interested in wasting more time on it. (Where ENTJ's won't stop until they changed that person's opinion.)
@Peter ha I do tend to hammer my ideas and opinions over people's heads. My husband had to inform me one time that I was being a drag at a party because I was trying to convince a girl of how the cereal she was eating leads to weight gain. I am basically so passionate about my latest ideas that I feel like everyone needs to know about and subscribe to it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...also, what I don't get about this test result is that Te was the only function in which I scored "excellent use". Wouldn't that mean it was my dominant function?

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
For ENTJ and INTJ, the difference will be in the rational/irrational dichotomy. ENTJ are rational types because their dominant function is a Jungian rational/judging function, INTJ are irrational types because their dominant function is an irrational/perceiving function.

This presents as a difference in focus between the two types when communicating. ENTJ judge before they perceive - therefore, they look to structure, facts, logical sequence, and end-points before all else. The Ni presents itself as a lesser focus on models, frameworks, images, and illustrations that give a future perspective, symbolic purpose, or conceptual bouyancy to the structures they have developed. Example - the classic businessy ENTJ who reads Porter and uses his strategic models as a way of managing his segment of the corporation. In short, for ENTJ, Ni ideas justify Te judgments, and the judgments come first.

The INTJ perceive before they judge - therefore, they look for innate meaning, conceptual depth, symbolism, innateness before all else. The Te presents itself as a lesser focus on projections, rationale, practicality, output for the ideas they have. Example - a critical theorist who has a vision of what they see as a new way of looking at a work, who justifies their vision with other works, data, logical accuracy, etc. In short, for INTJ, the Ni vision comes first, and Te logic supports the vision.

If you are sure you prefer Te, and are sure your husband is an ENFJ, you can actually use your husband's similarities as a way of determining your own type. ENFJ and ENTJ share the same rationality and Ni; ENFJ and INTJ only share Ni. ENFJ and ENTJ are both rapid fire decision makers. INTJ take more time to gather information or weigh it. If you find that your husband is more efficient in thought than you are, you may be an INTJ. If you are similarly efficient/expedient but more logical, you may be an ENTJ.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For ENTJ and INTJ, the difference will be in the rational/irrational dichotomy. ENTJ are rational types because their dominant function is a Jungian rational/judging function, INTJ are irrational types because their dominant function is an irrational/perceiving function.

This presents as a difference in focus between the two types when communicating. ENTJ judge before they perceive - therefore, they look to structure, facts, logical sequence, and end-points before all else. The Ni presents itself as a lesser focus on models, frameworks, images, and illustrations that give a future perspective, symbolic purpose, or conceptual bouyancy to the structures they have developed. Example - the classic businessy ENTJ who reads Porter and uses his strategic models as a way of managing his segment of the corporation. In short, for ENTJ, Ni ideas justify Te judgments, and the judgments come first.

The INTJ perceive before they judge - therefore, they look for innate meaning, conceptual depth, symbolism, innateness before all else. The Te presents itself as a lesser focus on projections, rationale, practicality, output for the ideas they have. Example - a critical theorist who has a vision of what they see as a new way of looking at a work, who justifies their vision with other works, data, logical accuracy, etc. In short, for INTJ, the Ni vision comes first, and Te logic supports the vision.

If you are sure you prefer Te, and are sure your husband is an ENFJ, you can actually use your husband's similarities as a way of determining your own type. ENFJ and ENTJ share the same rationality and Ni; ENFJ and INTJ only share Ni. ENFJ and ENTJ are both rapid fire decision makers. INTJ take more time to gather information or weigh it. If you find that your husband is more efficient in thought than you are, you may be an INTJ. If you are similarly efficient/expedient but more logical, you may be an ENTJ.
My husband and I actually own a business together and we both make decisions for our business pretty rapidly. I always figure if it makes sense, why not take action now? I do sales with our business as well and actually get very frustrated with people who need to mull things over for another week or two when I've shown them all the facts as to why our service is a great investment for them. So I guess I may have my answer with that.

... although the descriptions of INTJ talk a lot about not being in the moment and having a bad temper. Both these sound a lot like me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, I have a tendency to sit up late researching my latest interests/thoughts/theories. My husband often says, "please don't get wrapped up in your weird stuff for too long," in reference to my researching obsessions.-- but I share a ton of my findings with my husband and other people throughout that process. Trying to figure out if that points to INTJ or ENTJ

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
My husband and I actually own a business together and we both make decisions for our business pretty rapidly. I always figure if it makes sense, why not take action now? I do sales with our business as well and actually get very frustrated with people who need to mull things over for another week or two when I've shown them all the facts as to why our service is a great investment for them. So I guess I may have my answer with that.
I'd say you've got the answer too.

For confirmation, next time you talk real-time with an INTJ, notice how you will understand each other very easily (shared Ni and Te), but how much more the INTJ focuses on ideas/speculations/tangential musings instead of decisions (Ni in front of Te). They are taking information in - you are assessing before doing so.

... although the descriptions of INTJ talk a lot about not being in the moment and having a bad temper. Both these sound a lot like me.
Haha yeah, my temper gets out of control sometimes, and I know ENTJ who aren't in the best control of theirs either so it's possible for both types. ENTJ should be more "present" than INTJ, however, with Se better in ENTJ. It aids in the rapid decision making.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
@kb82

Your results can be interpreted by a machine many ways. But note that your T scores were the highest by far, and your F scores lagged way behind. This is the typical T-dominant F-neglected polarity. And from the other thread, you seemed to have no issues with paying attention to the details of sensation for various purposes. It wasn't like an "I have to argh so I do it" thing.

I don't interpret these things in terms of function-attitudes directly (that is: just because it gives one number for Ne and one for Ni, I won't interpret this as your actual relation to those -- I'll more likely consider it your relation to intuition at large). These questions are way too general to differentiate between the extroverted and introverted versions of a function with any definite nature, which are conceptually actually very hard to differentiate between if one does it carefully. They do, on the other hand, point to general trends in the 4 functions (N, T, F, S) at large.

There are some who would go as far as to trash cognitive functions test at all. I don't go that far. I think it's a great little resource, and one can't lose track that its limitations are not that "tests suck" -- nay I'd probably trust the test over most people's typing abilities anyway. But more to the point, I don't trust either most people's typing ability nor the test's ability to accurately diagnose by itself, in the way it states it does, in the way to gain the clearest picture as per my POV at least.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after a bit more reading on this and how the functions develop from childhood on, I'm still not fully convinced of which one I am. I started a new thread about this but it didn't get any response so I just figured I'd go ahead and continue here.

At this point, after all the research and more fully understanding the functions, I know that I am XNTJ without a doubt. But learning about the functions and looking back to my childhood makes me very confused as to if my dominant function was Ni or Te. Knowing that INTJ= Ni dominant and Te auxiliary and knowing that ENTJ= Te dominant and Ni auxiliary makes me unsure mainly because I almost felt dominant either one of these as a child.

Signs of extroversion and Te
-I was perceived by my parents to be bold and outgoing. If I wanted to meet someone, I would go straight up and introduce myself.
- I would organize and put on performance shows involving all the kids in my neighborhood at the age of 6
- I was very bossy and often got scolded for it
- I had a terrible temper (still do- more a sign of low Fi than Te)... and I constantly spoke without thinking and stuck my foot in my mouth
-I was often the leader of my childhood friends. I decided what we did and when
- I would always have a new project going, was very impatient to put my ideas into action
-I was loud and loved to talk just to hear myself talk. My dad affectionately called me "motor mouth"

Signs of introversion and Ni
-I never minded being alone and often chose to be alone
-When I spent time in my room, I'd come up with all kinds of ideas, plans and scenarios and would play them out in my head
- I loved going to museums and could spend hours looking at all the different exhibits
- I got in trouble a lot in elementary school for "daydreaming". I was in my head so much that one of my teachers had me tested for the autism spectrum (I was not on the spectrum)
-I was often unaware of my surroundings, not in the moment
-I could get really absorbed in non fiction and history books for hours
-Although there were plenty of times I was a leader, as I got into higher elementary grades, I was less dominant and in the background more.

I should add though that I was most likely more confident early on and after we moved I was subject to some severe bullying at my school, which I, for whatever reason, did not even mention to my parents until years later.

Also, a couple of things about me that I don't even know if I could categorize as leading Ni or leading Te, but I think definitely say a lot about me:

-I loved to spend time alone imagining what it may have been like to live in different times in history, almost wishing I could transport myself there. I also was prone to thinking a lot about how strange historical phenomena could have happened and about scientific theories as well. I could spend hours contemplating these things by myself. (doesn't mean I didn't talk to myself in the mirror quite a bit too though, lol)

-I dragged my parents to the same historical plantation/museum literally 10 times over the course of a few months (they never let me forget). It was all I ever wanted to do for awhile there. And I basically learned everything about it to the point that I was correcting the tour guides by the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts