Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you at compartmentalizing?

Personally, it's a hit or miss for me. If I have feelings about something and it hits close to home, then it's more difficult for me to compartmentalize. If it's something that is less relatable, then I have no problem doing so.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Compartmentalizing is keeping things in their own silo--home separate from work, parents separate from family, wife from the kids, etc.

And then, for guys, there's the nothing box--the box where a guy goes, where he does nothing--no thinking, just existing.

I don't think I'm very good at compartmentalizing emotionally, but mentally I am. But I also don't think I have a nothing box. My mind is always thinking and feeling--I don't think with words a lot, but I can't say either, that it is a nothing box. Just not a verbal box. Maybe that's what guys mean about their nothing box, but I don't feel I have one--or if I do, it's a small one...

Compartmentalizing also means, IMO, that one is not good at multi-tasking. When I was young, in college, I thought I was good at multitasking, but I have no way of doing that now. None. In fact, I now doubt I was ever good at multi-tasking. I think I just fooled myself. I can 'do' it, but it wears me out.

People say these things are male-female based, that women are good at multitasking, but can't compartmentalize, while men are good at compartmentalizing, but not multitasking. Mythbusters covered the multitasking thing, and pretty much slaughtered the men on multitasking. oops. ;-)

·
Registered
697 Posts
It's very strange but I can do it sometimes when I'm very upset about something. I just block everything else out and focus on what I have to do . I can actually do better sometimes .I don't know if that is Te at work but if I can't do anything about one problem for the moment I focus on something else and get that done.I wouldn't want to depend on that but it will work for me at odd times.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,836 Posts
Compartmentalizing basically means that you have to put on different roles and masks
if you are talking about how you deal with people.

I personally feel that it is an imposition to compartmentalize.
Only reason I do it is cause a lot of people would make my life hell if I didn't.
So it is a forced solution if anything.

I guess what I*m saying is that I rather not compartmentalize if I can avoid it.

Reactions: LegendaryBoobs
1 - 5 of 5 Posts