Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you have heard of the dating site "eHarmony". What I find somewhat interesting is their 29 compatibility dimensions idea. A lot of people think that compatibility means the other partner likes the same musical bands as they do. (Yes, you can laugh now.)

However, eHarmony stresses more important things. I'll list them and give you the definitions for each one... Now after this, I want you to bold the ones you would like your partner to have (Must-haves) and leave the unimportant ones unbolded. (Apparently, someone can be your "soul mate" if they match all 29 traits. That, I'm assuming, is a pretty rare thing though.)

1. Self-Concept- How a person sees himself. Self-esteem is the same as their partner's.

2. Emotional Status- Whether or not the person’s emotional health is good or not. (Emotional Intelligence) Is similar to the partner's emotional status.

3. Obstreperousness- Whether or not the person is naturally aggressive and loud or not, like their partner is.

4. Character- Good character: Honest and trustworthy, as well as loyal to their partners.

5. Kindness- Whether or not the person is more nurturing and giving or not, like their partner.

6. Dominance- Whether or not the person is more dominant or submissive, like their partner. (One partner may be dominant and want a submissive partner.)

7. Sociability- Whether or not the person is extroverted or introverted (or somewhere in between.) like their partner is.

8. Autonomy- Personal independence.

9. Adaptability- The ability to change (or be changed) to fit changed circumstances. Flexibility.

10. Intellect- IQ Mantra. On the same intelligence wavelength as their partner.

11. Curiosity- If they are willing to learn more about the world as much as their partner does.

12. Humor- Having the same sense of humor as their partner.

13. Artistic Passion- If they are interested in Art, Music, or otherwise as their partner does. (Or is naturally talented in this area like their partner is.)

14. Energy- Having the same energy level as their partner in bed, in life, exercising, having fun in general, etc.

15. Sexual Passion- Sexual compatibility.

16. Vitality and Security- The capacity to learn and grow with their partner, as well as making sure their partners feel physically and emotionally safe.

17. Industry- Diligence: persevering determination to perform a task. Whether they are "carefree" (low industry) like their partners, or more busybody like them.

18. Appearance- Physical Attraction.

19. Communication Style- How two people talk to each other. If the two partners are on "the same page" with each other and can communicate efficiently.

20. Anger Management- The ability to control and blow their anger in a healthy manner, or at least in a similar manner like their partner does.

21. Conflict Resolution- The ability to come up compromising ideas to fix problems together effectively.

22. Spirituality- Same religious and spiritual beliefs.

23. Family Goals- Wanting children or not in the future, what they want out of their children in the future, etc.

24. Traditionalism- Strict adherence to traditional methods or teachings. Both partners follow the same set of traditions.

25. Ambition- Has dreams, goals, passions and a satisfying career like their partner.

26. Family Background- Similar stories of both persons families (Ex. They both came from a broken home, so they find comfort in one another because of this.)

27. Education- A person with a PhD, for example, should be with someone who also has or strives to get a PhD. Same educational backgrounds.

28. Mood Management- The ability to manage and control their feelings, as well how they come across to other people like their partner (Appear more “steely” or “warm” towards people.)

29. Values Orientation- The principles of right and wrong that are accepted by an individual. Both partners have the same moral values. (Ex. Two liberals, or two conservatives.)

I will give my answers in a minute. Go.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
5. Kindness- Whether or not the person is more nurturing and giving or not, like their partner.
4. Character- Good character: Honest and trustworthy, as well as loyal to their partners.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1. Self-Concept- How a person sees himself. Self-esteem is the same as their partner's.

2. Emotional Status- Whether or not the person’s emotional health is good or not. (Emotional Intelligence) Is similar to the partner's emotional status.

3. Obstreperousness- Whether or not the person is naturally aggressive and loud or not, like their partner is. (I refuse to date anyone who is aggressive and loud, so someone who has a low obstreperousness is good for me.)

6. Dominance- Whether or not the person is more dominant or submissive, like their partner. (One partner may be dominant and want a submissive partner.) - (I changed my mind on this one... I don't really care. I've met some nice submissive guys and interesting dominant guys. It's whatever for me!)

7. Sociability- Whether or not the person is extroverted or introverted (or somewhere in between.) like their partner is. (I prefer an introvert ideally, but if an extrovert loves me and understand that I sometimes need some alone time and spend some quality time with me without his annoying friends blowing up his phone, then that's fine by me. So overall, someone more balanced between the two pulling in the introverted side would be nice for me.)

9. Adaptability- The ability to change (or be changed) to fit changed circumstances. Flexibility.

11. Curiosity- If they are willing to learn more about the world as much as their partner does.

13. Artistic Passion- If they are interested in Art, Music, or otherwise as their partner does. (Or is naturally talented in this area like their partner is.)

14. Energy- Having the same energy level as their partner in bed, in life, exercising, having fun in general, etc.

16. Vitality and Security- The capacity to learn and grow with their partner, as well as making sure their partners feel physically and emotionally safe.

17. Industry- Diligence: persevering determination to perform a task. Whether they are "carefree" (low industry) like their partners, or more busybody like them. (Would like a carefree guy who is like that unless life calls him on duty, then he can perform them, though he'd hate it as much as I do!)

19. Communication Style- How two people talk to each other. If the two partners are on "the same page" with each other and can communicate efficiently.

20. Anger Management- The ability to control and blow their anger in a healthy manner, or at least in a similar manner like their partner does.

21. Conflict Resolution- The ability to come up compromising ideas to fix problems together effectively.

22. Spirituality- Same religious and spiritual beliefs. (Right now, I'm on the fence on what my religion is, so I'll just leave this alone.)

23. Family Goals- Wanting children or not in the future, what they want out of their children in the future, etc.

24. Traditionalism- Strict adherence to traditional methods or teachings. Both partners follow the same set of traditions. (Changed my mind on this as well... It wouldn't be my fault if the love of my life lives in some other country that teaches them different things than here in America. I would find it interesting to learn new traditions, anyway... We could blend each others and have fun with them.)

25. Ambition- Has dreams, goals, passions and a satisfying career like their partner.

26. Family Background- Similar stories of both persons families (Ex. They both came from a broken home, so they find comfort in one another because of this.) - (Nah, I don't care. Not everyone has their parents together like I do, but I won't write them off because of that.)

27. Education- A person with a PhD, for example, should be with someone who also has or strives to get a PhD. Same educational backgrounds. (Totally subjective. I'll be going after my Psy.D, but if I like a guy who only has a BA, I won't care.)

28. Mood Management- The ability to manage and control their feelings, as well how they come across to other people like their partner (Appear more “steely” or “warm” towards people.)

29. Values Orientation- The principles of right and wrong that are accepted by an individual. Both partners have the same moral values. (Ex. Two liberals, or two conservatives.)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
People with good self-esteem tend to have the drive and independence that I like.

3. Obstreperousness- Whether or not the person is naturally aggressive and loud or not, like their partner is.

6. Dominance- Whether or not the person is more dominant or submissive, like their partner. (One partner may be dominant and want a submissive partner.)

7. Sociability- Whether or not the person is extroverted or introverted (or somewhere in between.) like their partner is.

17. Industry- Diligence: persevering determination to perform a task. Whether they are "carefree" (low industry) like their partners, or more busybody like them.

24. Traditionalism- Strict adherence to traditional methods or teachings. Both partners follow the same set of traditions.

26. Family Background- Similar stories of both persons families (Ex. They both came from a broken home, so they find comfort in one another because of this.)

27. Education- A person with a PhD, for example, should be with someone who also has or strives to get a PhD. Same educational backgrounds.

...I did mix up traits I'd find attractive and traits where I'd like to find some compatibility, though.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I can be flexible though..it highly depends..

I highly prefer introversion though

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Music taste is sooo icing on the cake....really delicious icing :tongue:

I disagree with some of this, as far as complementary traits & compatibility meaning the same, although I think these components are very important to consider.
------------

1. Self-Concept- How a person sees himself. Self-esteem is the same as their partner's. - Healthy self-esteem is important for both of us.

2. Emotional Status- Whether or not the person’s emotional health is good or not. (Emotional Intelligence) Is similar to the partner's emotional status. - I'd not say similar, but healthy. If we're both not healthy, then the relationship still will not work, IMO. I think EQ is a lot easier to develop than IQ. It's not about meeting a set potential so much as maturing emotionally.

3. Obstreperousness- Whether or not the person is naturally aggressive and loud or not, like their partner is. - I prefer someone more outgoing than me, more aggressive, but not obnoxiously so. I wouldn't mind someone who is quiet necessarily though.

12. Humor- Having the same sense of humor as their partner. - Not hugely important, but ideal.

- Talent is not necessary, appreciation is appreciated.

14. Energy- Having the same energy level as their partner in bed, in life, exercising, having fun in general, etc. - I'm low energy...I don't mind a higher energy person, as long as he's okay leaving me at home sometimes.

15. Sexual Passion- Sexual compatibility. - This is important, but I think it can be adapted to suit each person's needs.

16. Vitality and Security- The capacity to learn and grow with their partner, as well as making sure their partners feel physically and emotionally safe. - I'm big on self-growth & relationship growth; I don't want to stay stagnant (how NF of me!)

- I want someone MORE structured than me in some ways, but not suffocating either.

21. Conflict Resolution- The ability to come up compromising ideas to fix problems together effectively. - For me, this encompasses anger management....

23. Family Goals- Wanting children or not in the future, what they want out of their children in the future, etc. - I don't want kids. They're great, just not for me.

25. Ambition- Has dreams, goals, passions and a satisfying career like their partner. - "Career" is overrated, but passion is not.

26. Family Background- Similar stories of both persons families (Ex. They both came from a broken home, so they find comfort in one another because of this.) - NOT important to me, and I don't want to be judged for having divorced parents (as if it's my fault?),

27. Education- A person with a PhD, for example, should be with someone who also has or strives to get a PhD. Same educational backgrounds. - People can be self-educated, & there are some with a pile of degrees who still manage to be morons. I respect someone who appreciates learning though, however they go about it. I like academics myself, but I wouldn't judge someone negatively who did not go to college.

28. Mood Management- The ability to manage and control their feelings, as well how they come across to other people like their partner (Appear more “steely” or “warm” towards people.) - I want someone warmer &/or less moody than I am. It actually helps me be less moody to be around even-tempered people.

29. Values Orientation- The principles of right and wrong that are accepted by an individual. Both partners have the same moral values. (Ex. Two liberals, or two conservatives.) - VERY important, but I don't uses political categories to gauge this.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I ordered mine from most important to lesser, but they're all important to me, just not equally so I guess. There's not a lot separating them though. Ideally, there would be some compatibility with everything in the top half, under the line, the things not on my radar don't really matter as much, or not much at all, so I don't really care.

Character- Good character: Honest and trustworthy, as well as loyal to their partners.

Values Orientation- The principles of right and wrong that are accepted by an individual. Both partners have the same moral values. (Ex. Two liberals, or two conservatives.)

Vitality and Security- The capacity to learn and grow with their partner, as well as making sure their partners feel physically and emotionally safe.

Communication Style- How two people talk to each other. If the two partners are on "the same page" with each other and can communicate efficiently AND Conflict Resolution- The ability to come up compromising ideas to fix problems together effectively.

Humor- Having the same sense of humor as their partner.

Autonomy- Personal independence.

Adaptability- The ability to change (or be changed) to fit changed circumstances. Flexibility.

Curiosity- If they are willing to learn more about the world as much as their partner does.

Ambition- Has dreams, goals, passions and a satisfying career like their partner.

Kindness- Whether or not the person is more nurturing and giving or not, like their partner.

Mood Management- The ability to manage and control their feelings, as well how they come across to other people like their partner (Appear more “steely” or “warm” towards people.) AND Emotional Status- Whether or not the person’s emotional health is good or not. (Emotional Intelligence) Is similar to the partner's emotional status.

Intellect- IQ Mantra. On the same intelligence wavelength as their partner.

Energy- Having the same energy level as their partner in bed, in life, exercising, having fun in general, etc AND Sexual Passion- Sexual compatibility.

Anger Management- The ability to control and blow their anger in a healthy manner, or at least in a similar manner like their partner does.

Artistic Passion- If they are interested in Art, Music, or otherwise as their partner does. (Or is naturally talented in this area like their partner is.)

Appearance- Physical Attraction.

Family Goals- Wanting children or not in the future, what they want out of their children in the future, etc.

Spirituality- Same religious and spiritual beliefs.

Self-Concept- How a person sees himself. Self-esteem is the same as their partner's. Though, I don't know how i'd go with a nacrissist, so as long as there's not a -huge- gap.

The rest aren’t really on my radar

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Before I start, you should join OKCupid. You may be a match for me, if: YOU ARE NOT A VEGITARIAN! Or... YOU LIKE FOOD! Or here's the prime most important question... "Do you believe in dinosaurs?" Sign up at OKCupid now and see if we're going to be together forever!

On a serious note, humorous raving aside: the bold black are the items I want in an ideal relationship, while the green or bold green are the items I maintain myself. The red are ones which I am poor/not good with. They are in no order aside from category.

I prefer, and I have "to offer:"

1. Autonomy - Bold this x2 or x3, probably the most important.

2. Self-Concept - very important the other person has at least average self esteem.

3. Character - Not exactly by this definition; as long as she's loyal/honest with me and herself, I'm fine.

4. Intellect - To me it's not intellect but rather willingness to think for themselves. All in all it's probably perceived the same way, just defined inaccurately. I think I'd match best with an ENTJ, INTJ, ISTP, ISTJ, or possibly another INTP.

5. Energy - Very important to me--high sexual appetite along with desire to at least occasionally ride a bike, hike, or just on a walk/jog is a major plus. Maybe a combination of all-of-the-above, hehe.

6. Sexual Passion - Must have.

7. Curiosity - Very important, which is why I can only cerebrally grasp the concept of dating an "S."

I have "to offer," but don't expect the same:

1. Adaptability - Somewhat important, not enough to make or break a relationship.

2. Vitality and Security - Not too important; I will grow with or without her, but I hope she grows too, and would be willing to engage/help her when possible.

3. Anger Management - Not mandatory, but anger does irritate me a lot. I have a rather immature reaction to anger, thinking it's trite or immature myself (when in reality is is a valid expression of emotion), and don't react too well to it. Still, I am conscious of this and not overly concerned as to their ability to control/engage in it appropriately. I also don't bottle up my emotions and forget to release them.

4. Conflict Resolution - I can be extremely flexible for both of us, as long as it doesn't cross the few lines I've drawn.

5. Ambition - It's a plus, but not mandatory. I can be very ambitious myself, and if I had an ISTP or ISTJ partner would probably end up starting my own business with her assistance.

6. Values Orientation - Although I hold myself to high standards (morals even), I think it's just residual habits/streams of consciousness I developed when growing up. I almost never judge others for their standards or beliefs nor do I care about this in a partner at all.

I also prefer:

1. Dominance - Again, dominant or no she has to be independent. Dominance in bed would be a plus too, although that can go both ways.

2. Communication Style - Again intuitiveness is highly important. I can run off Ne or Ni just fine.

3. Mood Management - I'm gonna say yes simply because it's important here for a person to realize when I absolutely need to be alone versus absolutely need affection, and it's a strong plus for her to see when I just simply want one or the other.

I prefer but can't or don't offer well (or at least conventionally):

1. Family Goals - Don't want children any time soon, and don't see that changing--ever. Also can't be overly attached to their own biological family; blood family means nothing to me, and do not want unnecessary drama if possible.

I can't/or don't offer well (at least at home):

1. Industry - Eh either way, but low industry will breed few results around the house; I basically clean/organize when I have to or am in the "right mood," which is rarely. As for work ethic at work, I maintain a very strong work ethic and have been working at the same job for 8 years.

2. Traditionalism - She can follow what she wants, but needs to leave me out of most of it.

3. Family Background - Irrelevant.

I have neutral/no preference toward:

1. Emotional Status - not too important; I am confident my own lack of emotional intelligence will develop/grow without the need to involve a SO; introspection or friends can provide this.

2. Obstreperousness - Eh not sure, don't like overly loud people but I DEFINITELY want a woman who will not back down and is independent.

3. Kindness - Not relevant

4. Sociability - No relevance.

5. Humor - eh, I don't need to laugh.

6. Artistic Passion - It's whatever.

7. Appearance - Entirely based on intellectual/emotional attraction.

8. Spirituality - Irrelevant.

9. Education - I think it's important for one to develop themselves continually, and look forward to finishing college myself, eventually.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm bolding the ones that are important and bolding/italicizing the ones that are ultra important.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm sure many of you have heard of the dating site "eHarmony". What I find somewhat interesting is their 29 compatibility dimensions idea. A lot of people think that compatibility means the other partner likes the same musical bands as they do. (Yes, you can laugh now.)

However, eHarmony stresses more important things. I'll list them and give you the definitions for each one... Now after this, I want you to bold the ones you would like your partner to have (Must-haves) and leave the unimportant ones unbolded. (Apparently, someone can be your "soul mate" if they match all 29 traits. That, I'm assuming, is a pretty rare thing though.)

I will give my answers in a minute. Go.

It seems I am more demanding than I had always assumed.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts

Feel free to tell me if I seem too picky. Kind of curious since my friends have told me to lower my standards a few times in the past. :angry:They don't even know what my standards are. To be fair I am not even sure what mine are:crazy:

·
Banned
605 Posts

Bold are the "must haves" and italics are a bit more flexible. Communication is probably my top priority at the moment, followed by an interest in continual growth/improvement. Honestly, most of these I wasn't entirely sure on.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I pick these:

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.