Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as school goes, I was involved in spelling/mathematics competitions for a while - I tended to place high in most of the competitions, leading to the state level in some cases.

I also played basketball through high school, as well as dabbling in soccer, track, and tennis -- in each case, I did fairly well.

I don't get frustratingly competitive unless I'm competing against people I'm really close with. An easy way to really get me going is to give me a terribly hard question in Trivial Pursuit (sports & leisure category) that nobody under the age of 75 can possibly get. Cranium also becomes a much angrier game when people give away answers, etc.

I've also been known to have a longstanding hatred for Super Smash Brothers (N64) since the first time I played involved me not knowing controls and losing terribly.

No, I'm not competitive at all :p

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Tell me a bit about yourselves when you have to compete with others

What kind of competitions have you been a part of? Do you normally win?
Not a real big sports guy, but I'm in it to win it. Second place is just first loser. Archery, music, chess, quizzing, spelling bee, etc.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Normally I have a great dislike for competition--I'd rather things be more peaceful, and I can sometimes get offended by competitive people. Sometimes I can get competitive when I am playing card games, but that's about it. I feel like it's an obligation to compete when a friend tries to compete against me for something (whether it be beating each other in tests at schoolor at video games), but I still don't like it.

Though if someone gets in a competition with me, sometimes I feel a need to win. Not because I like being first and winning, so much as the fact that I don't like being teased if I lose. And I think I really don't like to lose either.

I'm not sure where my lack of desire for competition comes from--maybe the fact that I suck so much at sports?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am a very competitive person. My best friends and I are in a constant struggle for dominance in almost everything we do. May it be when we work out at the gym, running laps, playing video games, exams, discussing philosophy, etc. It doesn't really matter.

I don't see it as a negative thing at all. We do it to push each other to grow, and become better. If it was just one of us doing something, we would likely do just the minimum required. With two of us vying for dominance, we tend to do better work, and get more out of life. Maybe it's a male thing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sports? ... *shivers* Hell no!! :dry:

I am competitive with marks/scores from an academics viewpoint (both with others and also against my own previous ones).

I try to beat my "step count" when going up a staired esculator that I use frequently - the faster I go, the less steps and the better the record.

I race people up/down the stairs at the train station... and by race, I mean they don't know they are involved... well except for this one time when it was a school boy and he figured it out and sped up!! We almost bumped into another person doing so and we both sniggered! (and for the record, I beat him - although not by much). :cool:

Mario carts, Tetris, Zuma, and some other computer/video games - again, both against myself and also against others. If a family member knocks me off the highest score I become addicted to that game until either a) I beat them or b) I realise that it probably won't happen, get bored with it and then go find a new game to master and wait for them to catch up and knock me off the scoreboard again. :crazy:

If I'm repeating something (eg: binding manuals), I sometimes time myself each and see if I can find a more efficient... nah... I try to beat my previous time. :wink:

Reactions: Sela, niss and Wake

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
I'm a very competitive person, especially when it comes to my grades at school. When I took Economics last year, I struggled the first three weeks of the class; after that, it clicked, and I sailed through it. Anyway, turns out that I ended up getting the highest score in the class. Yes, I took pleasure in knowing that I'd outperformed everyone else in the class.

HOWEVER ... this is the deal. I like competing when it's something that I can either learn or I can acquire as a skill (for instance, I like bowling; I'm so-so at it, but I like to practice and play and get better at it). The one thing that I do NOT like (in fact, I detest) is other people trying to compete based on how "pretty" they are, how well they are dressed, how quickly they can attract someone of the opposite sex, and flaunt all of the above in my face. Seriously? That's not a competition; that's their low self-esteem disguised as something else. Part of me feels pity for someone like that, but OTOH, the other part of me feels like letting them think they're high on the hog and having it come back and bite them later.

To summarize, if it's a skill or something that can be learned, then I'm all for it. I like seeing how well I've learned something! But otherwise, if it's the "one-up" deal ... take your ball and go play with someone else.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Tell me a bit about yourselves when you have to compete with others

What kind of competitions have you been a part of? Do you normally win?
I don't compete. I seriously worry that tension will eat away at my life expectancy, and I plan to live to 120.
I just make sure I'm actually prepared for whatever I'm about to do, which often yields pretty good results. I'm a full-time student so most of it has been exams or academic competitions of various sorts. I lack interest in sports.

I don't see this effort as competing with myself either, because given my lazy-ass mentality the inner dialogue usually goes like this:

Me: 'Yo I'm done here. Stuff looks pretty good now, so let's ditch this and go home.'
The other me: 'Dude I completely agree. It's playtime.'

I just do what I'm supposed to do, and I don't think much about it.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I care about doing something well I will normally hold myself to others standards. I want to get the best grade in the class I'm in because I try harder, not because I need fame or to prove I'm smarter.

School, work, and playing pool are my favorite activities to excel in.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a very competitive person, especially when it comes to my grades at school. When I took Economics last year, I struggled the first three weeks of the class; after that, it clicked, and I sailed through it. Anyway, turns out that I ended up getting the highest score in the class. Yes, I took pleasure in knowing that I'd outperformed everyone else in the class.
Is it to prove you have a superior intellect when compared to others or that you are better prepared than others because you care more?

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Is it to prove you have a superior intellect when compared to others or that you are better prepared than others because you care more?
Because I care more about learning and applying it to practical things (like a future job!). A superior intellect is fine if your career is at a research college or something like that; for the rest of us, being able to apply what we've learned is far more important.

·
Registered
384 Posts
An ISTJ philosophizin'? Preposterous!
I have a love-hate relationship with Philosophy. It's not something I can break down into small pieces and understand all the details, so I get very tired of doing it after about an hour or two. However, I have INTJ, INTP, and INFJ friends that all discuss it constantly. I use it more as mental exercise to keep myself sharp, and on the ball. If it gets out of hand, and way out of the realm of the plausible, I just turn on my headphones and sink back into my Geochemistry. I sigh and relish in the world of facts, definitions, and mathematics.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The simple things: Volleyball, Tennis, basketball, etc. And I usually won... I guess i'm athletic or something... don't think its a personality trait though.

Now a day its MMA, and because I apply myself, remember techniques, study the sport (all of those things are a personality trait though) I almost always win.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, I wanted to see if you guys had similar views to myself. I'm quite the idealist when a competition is at hand and the likes of ENTJ or P's take an annoying attitude towards this item as they take a more cut-throat approach to competition. My buddy if he's on hard times he falls into a "by any means necessary" mode and he does win more than he may otherwise, but his ethics take a hit in the process. I blame it on him being an Enneagram type 3.

My take on the overall message that comes from our camp seems to be that we "play to win the game" but its really about how well we perform under circumstances and not all about winning over the other guy. Then again that "maybe its a guy thing" caius said could say otherwise.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't get motivated into competition very easily. Most of the time I don't see a reason to be competitive. That doesn't mean when I do play a game I don't give my all, giving my all at almost everything is one of my core values. (note the almost *thinks about homework*)

There are rare occasions when I do get competitive though, like when I used to spar with my friends. When you have three people fighting you at once, them being a black belt, a yellow belt, and a hobby wrestler, you have to be competitive to stand a chance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also discuss philosophy, may not be something natural, just learnt it because I took the lesson in school. However, it's always me who brings the logical, scientific arguments to the debate lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to competitively race bicycles (still dabble in it now and then). I love the speed and athleticism involved. If you understand the sport, it's actually a rolling chess match. Each move calculated, always thinking (aha! there's an ISTJ connection). I really just like being out there, with other like minded individuals. It's a subject I'm quite social about. Winning was kinda cool too, but not really a necessity.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I used to competitively race bicycles (still dabble in it now and then). I love the speed and athleticism involved. If you understand the sport, it's actually a rolling chess match. Each move calculated, always thinking (aha! there's an ISTJ connection). I really just like being out there, with other like minded individuals. It's a subject I'm quite social about. Winning was kinda cool too, but not really a necessity.
Always wanted to do this, but never got involved professionally. Still follow the Tour de France.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts