Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to the gym several times a week at roughly the same time of day. My friend goes too so we work out together. In the last two weeks or so, we've had a weird problem that I'm not sure how best to handle.

While working out on ellipticals, we were suddenly punched in the face by such a strong odor that we nearly choked. My friend looked to the person who'd just gotten onto the elliptical beside her, expecting to perhaps see a homeless person, but instead it was a very well-kept looking young 20-something woman. Her hair was immaculately done, her clothes and shoes were nice, she looked good and healthy...but she had the smell of someone who'd been working out daily for a few weeks without bathing. Since breathing had become so unpleasant, we just decided to move on to other machines without making the woman any the wiser about why.

Unfortunately, this hasn't been a one time thing. This woman keeps showing up, and even when there's a ton of empty machines, she always chooses the one beside us and sometimes follows if we move to other machines. The smell is extreme and I'm wondering if she really never bathes, or if she has something medically wrong with her that gives her terrible BO...but that part doesn't matter.

What does matter is that my friend wants to complain to the gym employees about her to try and get something done. I'm not sure that is the right way to go about it, but I'm not seeing any nicer options. Thoughts? What would you do?

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
First of all, your signature always makes me laugh. Secondly, I would approach the woman yourself. Something tells me you might be a little too chicken for a direct approach though. Perhaps just blame the odor on your friend while the girl is working out next to you and hand your friend some deodorant. Maybe then that woman will get a little self-conscious and make sure she puts on deodorant. Also, this isn't meant to sound rude, but some people just flat out smell funny. It could just be a funky personal scent, not B.O. Like me... my skin naturally kinda smells really sweet like fruit. Not all people are that blessed though :p I know some people that just flat out fucking REAK. My guess is that the foods and spices they're consuming are seeping through their pores.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My guess is that the foods and spices they're consuming are seeping through their pores.
I think this is what's happening. Even if you bathe on a regular basis, what you've been eating/drinking will come out of your pores when sweating, most of the time, without the culprit being the wiser. Does your gym have elliptical machines in more than one area? I know both gyms I've been a member of have had elliptical machines in two different places in the gym. I would first move to another area of the gym (if at all possible).

If that's not possible, I would ask the gym for advice on the situation. There's really no other way I can think of to handle the situation other than talking to her about it. You don't have to point her out to the gym employees or anything, just ask them how they would handle the situation. That way, if you do chose to talk to her, and she freaks out at you, you'll have the back up of saying "Well, this is how "X" employee recommended I handle the situation". Who knows, the gym might offer to talk to her for you, based on an "anonymous" tip. If the gym doesn't offer; I would have either your friend or yourself talk to her in private. If that doesn't help, I might make mention of it in private to the woman. She obviously cares about her appearance enough to look nice at the gym; I'm pretty sure if I were in her position I would want to know I was producing an offensive smell. Let her know that you don't mind her being around; and that you're only doing this because you would want to know if you were in her position, and leave it at that. If nothing else, she'll probably stay away from you afterwards.

But seriously, talk to the gym first and see what they say.

Reactions: Ace Face

·
Registered
594 Posts
That way, if you do chose to talk to her, and she freaks out at you, you'll have the back up of saying "Well, this is how "X" employee recommended I handle the situation".
I... don't think pointing fingers is the best way to do it. I'd definitely go talk to an employee "of trust", of you have any (such as whoever handles your training schedule).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I... don't think pointing fingers is the best way to do it. I'd definitely go talk to an employee "of trust", of you have any (such as whoever handles your training schedule).
Yikes! I do see how that came across now. I meant more of saying that to yourself, mentally, as opposed to saying it aloud. I thought it would be beneficial; talking to the gym about the situation prior would help alleviate some responsibility; even if options are limited, at least the OP would be able to tell themselves that they spoke with a gym employee prior,and did what was thought to be the best solution by the gym.

Reactions: ENTJam

·
Registered
305 Posts
haha maybe try talking up a conversation with her "whats ur favourite deodarant brand?" eventually she'll get the hint :p

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I was thinking something medically wrong too. I'd just move, she follows you around? Comon. Tell her to get lost if she's doing that.

:)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Or you tell her!!! :O :O :O *Gasp!*

·
Registered
594 Posts
"You smell really bad. Go away."
"Hi! Fun fact, did you know that perfume first became a major industry in France? That's because they didn't take many showers, so they used perfume to hide the odor! By the way, are you French?"

(By no means do I mean to offend any French people around here!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts