Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyway I have decided I will be abandoning my 3 year old windows laptop (except for gaming, it still does that good for some reason) in favor of a shiny new (or in this case refurbished) MacBook, I will be using it for:

Streaming video, surfing the web (forums, social media ect.), some light photoshop and video editing (I'm into photoagrahy), school/homework, definitely not torrenting things, playing the odd low graphics indie game/roguelike and possibly setting up a parallel to run linux or windows.

My main deciding factors are portability(I will be taking this to school), battery life(previous reason), RAM/Speed(for paralells, photoshop and games), storage(will probably download lots of stuff, however I could use a SD card, my old laptop or the family NAS for this).

The models I am comparing are:

And

-------------------------------------------------------

rMBP pros (hehe) and cons

Pros:
-Much more powerful than MBA
-8gigs of RAM
-Retina display
-More ports

Cons:
-Less storage than the MBA
-Less Portable
-Less battery
-More expensive

MBA pros and cons

Pros:
-Very portable
-Amazing battery life
-More storage
-Cheaper

Cons:
-Much less powerful than rMBP
-Less RAM
-Worse screen than rMBP

Note: The prices are in CAD, also while the two pictures above are the models I'm considering, if you can find another version for relatively the same price that is better suited, feel free to post them down below, I also want this computer to last for at least 3-4 years.

·
Registered
447 Posts
A PC. Oh wait.

My brother was able to get a custom macbook with all the features he wanted from Apple. If you're a student, they may throw in a few discounts along with it. So if you are looking to buy a new one, I'd look into it. Other than that, I don't know jack about Apple products, I'm still using the same laptop I've had for like 8 years.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the best mac book is a toshiba with ubuntu installed

·
chicken chaser
10,145 Posts
Mac Mini, and buy a cheap HP laptop and install xubuntu on it. I would never suggest a mac laptop, but macs are nice desktops / HTPC entertainment centers.

For the money you're spending on refurbished, you can get a new hp laptop and a new mac mini.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.