Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for 1's, 2's, and 6's (the "compliant" types). Were you all good children growing up?

I ask this especially of the 1's, because if there's one trait of the 1 that absolutely DO NOT relate to, it's that 1's were model children. I was only a model child in that I got good grades in school. Behavior-wise, I was a problem; I didn't get along with other kids because I was too "different" from them and the teachers didn't know what to do with me because I always acted out during class.

So any well-behaved Compliants here?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Oh yeah. So much so that my mother's idea of my teenage "rebellion" phase was my failure to get straight A's due to lack of motivation. I was so well-behaved that my parents were practically spoiled by my lack of boundary-pushing. Hence, my getting the occasional B in high school was not due to motivation, confidence, or issues with depression, but clearly because I must be finally going against them...? Or something?

I always based my behavior on what I was supposed to do, and always thought in terms of my parents' expectations for me. I may have misbehaved in very small ways (like eating candy when I wasn't supposed to or whatever), but even then I felt bad because I was going against what I was supposed to do, and I just viscerally knew that was bad. It went against a sense of internal conscience that has always been a part of me.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I definitely stayed out of trouble for the most part.

·
Meh.
8,054 Posts
Not sure I like the 'compliant' label.. Perhaps that fits a phobic 6 better than a counter phobic 6?

I definitely wasn't the 'good child' at home but did make sure I stayed under the radar. I was never openly defiant, just did what I wanted and managed to keep it under wraps to stay out of major trouble.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I was only a model child in comparison with my older, lazier/acting out brothers.

But I actually brought/bring the most headaches to my parents for being difficult to deal with...or agree with.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
I was an extremely well-behaved child, right up until teenage rebellion hit. And that wasn't even about breaking the rules because I could, but because my Fe mother couldn't give me a Te reason for them; it was the clash between my own conscience and the rules.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Not sure I like the 'compliant' label.. Perhaps that fits a phobic 6 better than a counter phobic 6?
"Compliant" doesn't mean "obeys all the rules," it means "complies to their superego." So if a compliant type thinks the rules aren't worth following, they'll gladly break them... Often in favor of their own "rules" (superego), whatever they may be. Age plays a role, too. Teenagers rebel and we mature and all that.

---

I was neither good nor bad, just quiet. I was polite and preferred adult company, but was called ornery and a smart aleck from a young age. I didn't know how to interact with anyone my age, nor they with me, so I grew up a tad isolated. I spent too much time reading or on the computer to cause any real trouble. Probably the worst thing I did was causing my parents grief by having horrible grades in high school due to (mostly) apathy, and I can't even say that was an actual problem.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Yeah, I never really caused any problems. I got good grades and was a mostly quiet kid. My grades dropped just a bit in high school, but that didn't really seem to bother them.

I did "rebel" about two times or so in high school. I really wanted to go to a concert and my parents didn't let me, so I asked my friend to buy me a ticket and I went there right after school. I felt super bad though and called them multiple times to tell them that I was okay. But ugh, it really pissed me off that I wasn't crazy to deal with like other kids my age and even then they wouldn't let me go out, when the others went out all the time.

The second time was when I was "dating" this guy, I lied to them and told them I was at the library when in reality I was in NYC with him. I don't know why they freaked out over me going there. Anyway, turns out they went to the library and didn't see me there. Oh boy. I still feel terrible about that today. I didn't even really like that guy. :x

·
Registered
778 Posts
No, absolutely not ,because I was always the free-spirit child ,doing what I liked and that is why I was always a source of embarrassment to my parents because they wanted me to be like other children of my age who would sit quietly and obey their parents .

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
You could say that as a 6 with a 1 fix I have been a "good child", however there is one fault in me: I do not listen to people, am stubborn, willful and can be aggressively rebellious. (good thing I plan on either dieing before I get old and annoying or setting myself up in a retirement home so I don't become a burden to the family. I swear all old ppl should think like this...you annoying smelly idiots past your expiration dates need to learn to stay out of your family's busyness, especially when you are too outdated to even know what they are talking about.)

I may not go out and take drugs, get drunk or blow up something or fall in with a bad crowd and such stuff, but I may decide it is not worth listening to someone who is giving me an order or such thing. I'm not below threatening the individual either. I have issues with authority as in I hate being authority myself and I absolutely despise any and all authority, will only tolerate it in case I benefit in some way like getting payed (and even then I could get triggered and may decide to leave and sink the ship too).

I do not listen to illogical bullshit from ppl and I backtalk all the time. All in all I'm compliant with my superego and mostly just with myself. If I don't agree with something I generally do not comply.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I was a "good children" growing up, seeking to establish a sense of harmony and order around me, yet I used to be painfully timid. My greatest difficulty was a dependency on the love and approval of my parents, but, as I grew older, I started to become a little bit more rebellious, satisfying the need to express my inner vision. At my worst, I was dramatic and shown my anxiety through bounts of intense shyness and withdrawal. However, I still was a very good-natured, level-headed and responsible child.

6w7-?-9w8​

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
buhahahahahaha! what?

... this is actually kind of interesting to think about... it really just depended on the situation. i'm sure there would be some people who thought i was a "little angel", and there were others that had a more intimate view of me (and their opinion would veer the other way).

i would say that both had a half-picture to work with, because i wasn't/am not either of those images (i never really understood other peoples' want to try and classify a person by a series of actions that were at least in some way beholden to a situation [school, work, etc.]).

i wasn't good or bad--i was just me (still am, i think). i ended up graduating from an alternative school (voluntarily)--i'm sure this validated one image in particular, but, just in the heads of other people (so who cares, right? :p).

the whole process was really good for killing off the compulsion to garner some sort of "image of worthiness"; the worst of this occurred--maybe not "oddly enough"--when i was at my worst. that compulsion is still there, still a driving force, and it still comes out in different forms as i get (slightly) older, but each time it seems to be something that is closer to "who i am".

... i don't think the super-ego theme would necessarily make us "better kids" (behind the curtain i was a hellian), but would just cause us to see ourselves and actions in a way that requires justification in relation to our existence in this world...?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I remember always finding myself into some kind of trouble growing up, especially during my teenage years. I wasn't a problem child. I had good grades for the most part, very well behaved throughout a lot of childhood (not really teenage years), but I often did things I wasn't supposed to. My aim was usually not to get caught. I was more emotionally rebellious growing up living in an immigrant household and dealing with the clash of two cultures. I didn't do drugs or drink. I just liked having fun, being away from my family and their strict guidelines, just escaping.

I didn't really care to be up in their face about it just to have a good time. It's pretty counter-intuitive. I did get into several fights with my mom when things were bad, but it wasn't because of my wanting to have fun. Yes, my misbehavior caused some very stormy arguments, but the root of it was my wanting to be myself, hold my own values and in a way be accepted. The things often fought about were the way my parents things vs. the way I thought they should. Not even necessarily what they should do, but what they shouldn't do.

Now that I live thousands of miles away from my mom, she's convinced that I'm such a good girl even though she hardly knows anything that's going on in my life. That's idealizing for you. It's funny because I fought with her so much, we went through so much shit together, I got in so much trouble, and yet she calls me the good kid. XD I lean phobic 6.

I know a 1 who got into quite a bit of trouble growing up - not drugs, sex, drinking trouble, but she was a peculiar individual and it ended up in some interesting run ins. She had excellent grades. She just wasn't afraid to talk back. 1s aren't always the model children. They see they perceive as a problem or flaw? They'll say it or do something about it. This results in some conflict sometimes. I thinks 1s are very misunderstood in that way. They aren't robots.

I do think they don't always rub people the right away. I mean that goes for any type, but 1s typically hold themselves and everyone around them to a high standard, and at an average level of health, that can be grating to others. They can be, but aren't necessarily the archetypal perfect children. I imagine a 1 will speak up, a 1 will debate you, a 1 can tire you out that way. Not always, but such has been the case I've found. They are high maintenance individuals when it comes to upholding their values and principles. 1s are pretty intense, man!

·
Registered
457 Posts
6-1-2 here. Yes, I was. ;) When I couldn't do what I want w/o getting in trouble (starting at teenage age), though, I just pretended to be well-behaved & misbehaved behind ppl's backs, which no one would've suspected from lil ol' innocent me.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I was neither good nor bad, just quiet. I was polite and preferred adult company, but was called ornery and a smart aleck from a young age. I didn't know how to interact with anyone my age, nor they with me, so I grew up a tad isolated. I spent too much time reading or on the computer to cause any real trouble. Probably the worst thing I did was causing my parents grief by having horrible grades in high school due to (mostly) apathy, and I can't even say that was an actual problem.
That's more or less what I was like as well.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
A question for 1's, 2's, and 6's (the "compliant" types). Were you all good children growing up?
I ask this especially of the 1's, because if there's one trait of the 1 that absolutely DO NOT relate to, it's that 1's were model children. I was only a model child in that I got good grades in school. Behavior-wise, I was a problem; I didn't get along with other kids because I was too "different" from them and the teachers didn't know what to do with me because I always acted out during class.
So any well-behaved Compliants here?
1s: yes
2s: usually
phobic 6s: for the most part
counter phobic 6s: noooo

overall, I'd say E9 children are far better behaved than E6 children

on the other hand, Id children are little spawns of Satan most of the time

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've known CP6s who were far better children than I was. They are more inclined to talk back, speak their mind. They aren't automatically problem children. There are PLENTY of problem children and rebellious CP6s, but CP6 doesn't guarantee misbehavior. Upfrontness, yeah, but not misbehavior. CP6s don't back down, but it doesn't mean they always break the rules because they inherently hate rules or anything. They hate unfairness (as do most 6s) and will be pretty clear about pointing it out and not following the rules for that reason, but if things are within reason to them, many are likely to abide by them. A CP6 will fight, yes, more likely than flee, but there is usually something threatening them. An Id child may perhaps go against things like that far more likely than a CP6.

·
Registered
ISFJ, 6w7 9w1 2w3, sp/so
250 Posts
I was that archetypal good kid, but my sister, who's a 1 (probably with cp 6 in her tritype) is a pistol. She has anger problems and was the definition of the rebellious child; like, she would holler and throw and hit (there's still a hole in the bathroom door from her fist) and was often dragged kicking and screaming to her room. I guess 1 is part of the anger triad.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I was a good kid in the fact that I was A) honest and B) not activity-rebellious. If I wanted to do something or didn't want to do something, I was upfront about it. I always disliked being two-faced. I also never had the urge to sneak out or go to places/do things my parents wouldn't approve of.

That being said, I was a nightmare to control growing up. I have a sharp tongue and a strong will-- which led to many, many arguments in my household.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts