Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting compliments, and each and every time I get one, I have absolutely no idea how to react. :|

Does anyone have some pointers on how to respond? (Yes, I know that "Thank you, you're too kind," is an acceptable response, but it still feels awkward.)

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
Just a simple Thanks and a smile should suffice for most instances!

Sometimes something more could /or should be used depending on the situation.

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Bah... I never know how to react either. My problem is that I already know I'm good at something, and its not in me to say "no I'm not" or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I am not exactly sure how to take a compliment myself. In fact, I am terrible at taking compliments. I have literally cussed at a friend or two that attempted to assure me how talented at art I was. I know this absolutely silly. Who doesn't enjoy a nice compliment every once in a while, especially one that is obviously sincere and heartfelt? But, you need to realize that besides going through a difficult and angry time in my life, the compliment also contradicted my self-loathing image. Since I was in fact emotionally unstable at the time, my psyche couldn't handle the compliment, reverted to the belief that my friend was lying to me, and then basically lashed out at her. Pretty intense, no?
Well, I am pretty sure I am done with all that now. I am more stable now.

However (getting back to the point), I have been told before that when someone compliments you don't try to play down the compliment by insulting yourself. For example if a friend tells you your hair looks good today, don't say something like, "Erh, I guess. I kind of feel like I am having a bad hair day." Not only can this come across as false modesty, but it can be rather insulting towards your friend. Most people like to be appreciated for the compliments they hand out.

So, accept the compliment. Find a way to show appreciation towards the person who complimented you such as a simple thanks. But of course, never act you are suddenly top dog just because you received a compliment either. That's distasteful.

Reactions: vel and myjazz

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I keep getting compliments, and each and every time I get one, I have absolutely no idea how to react. :|

Does anyone have some pointers on how to respond? (Yes, I know that "Thank you, you're too kind," is an acceptable response, but it still feels awkward.)
Keeping saying Thank you until this no longer feels awkward.

Reactions: beanz

·
Banned
89 Posts
I smile really akwardly and blush a lot. I thank them over and over and I keep thinking my thanks is not a good enough response. And I have a really hard time looking people in the eye when they compliment me.

When I was younger I used to say things like "no, I'm not" in a response to a compliment like "you're so pretty or you're so good at that"...but my mother told me over and over that it was inconsiderate to not take a compliment. I really took that to heart and since I didn't want to insult someone nice enough to give me a compliment I ended that bad habit.

The thing is I really love compliments, I want more of them, they make me really happy but I just never quite know how to respond to them. I almost get embarrassed by them and maybe it comes off that I don't like them yet I totally do.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts

John Athix, you are awesome! :happy:

(some practice there...)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The thing is I really love compliments, I want more of them, they make me really happy but I just never quite know how to respond to them. I almost get embarrassed by them and maybe it comes off that I don't like them yet I totally do.
This is awkward for me too. When a compliment really means something to me, as they do most times I get one, simply saying 'Thanks' seems so impersonal and commonplace.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It depends on the compliment. If it's something like "That sweater is nice. It looks really good on you" I'd say a plain "Thanks." or maybe add "I really like it too". If it is some kind words about me and my nature I would say something like "aw shucks, thanks, you're making me blush" to let them know that I appreciate it but am feeling a bit uncomfortable being in the spotlight. If they are complimenting me on a job really well done, that's a bit more difficult because I'm normally performing it well for my own satisfaction rather than to garner praise from anyone else. In those sorts of cases I will try and say thanks but it more than likely will come out as a weak smile and some sort of phrase indicating that it really wasn't any bother.

Also, depends on the situation. Sometimes I pick up that the compliment is a false one - someone just feeling like they need to say something to fill a gap, or even just to start getting into a particular conversation. In instances like that I just tend to smile and ignore it and get on with what they really want to talk about.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I second Vel's response.

I always kind of 'reject' the compliments, but everyone tells me it just sounds like I'm fishing for more LOL

So now I just say "thanks", but in terms of.. preventing compliments from coming my way, I dish out a lot of compliments all the time. You figure if you're the one constantly complimenting someone they're not going to have the time to say anything back except thanks HAHA!

Reactions: vel and penchant
1 - 12 of 12 Posts