Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm interested to hear about your organization systems. Ie- how do you organize all the files/folders/documents on your computer? If you want to get really elaborate, i'd love to hear about how you organize your life/etc but let's start with computers first.

what i've always done is, categorize things into folders of meaning to me (ex. photos, documents, books etc and then perform routine actions (ex. delete all files in "clutter" every so often, etc). The documents folder is a mess sometimes because, there's so many files and i don't have a strict naming convention

sometimes i name my files like, "godly" or whatever that comes to mind. it looks somewhat chaotic and disorderly, although i know what it is/where it is because it's a term of meaning to me. but in the future...perhaps i wont and plus, i want something that looks more "orderly". so, let me know how you organize your (virtual) life and soul!

feel free to include screenshots :p
thanks in advance thank u :laughing:

·
Registered
623 Posts
As simple and organised as possible I guess. So far the most cluttered files are downloads and documents. Downloads are a mess, from all over the web. As for documents its just assignments, plain boring, but I give them silly names sometimes. Desktop is kept to only shortcuts I use, bout two rows.
Im guessing mine might be neat compared to others since theres less content.

·
Banned
619 Posts
I'm not going to describe my exact system for privacy reasons, but I can describe the basic principles while using fabricated, but similar, examples. Some details below are not how I actually do it, but close enough that you get a decent idea without revealing too much. I wouldn't dream of sharing an actual screenshot of my computer with anyone, let alone a bunch of online strangers.

1. Two hard drive partitions or, if possible, two separate hard drives
A) one for OS and unimportant files
B) one for all personal files (e-mail, documents, photos, audio etc.)

2. Partition/hard drive B is fully encrypted and backed up 24/7 to two separate zero-knowledge cloud backup providers. Needs a 20+ character password (changed regularly) to de-encrypt upon logon. In addition, I carry an encrypted copy on a small flash drive on my person. I am aware that there will still be some privacy-breaching information on hard drive/partition A, but my attempts at fully encrypting my entire computer haven't been satisfactory so far.

3. All files on hard drive/partition B are organised by
A) type (document, photo, video, audio etc.)
B) when necessary, subtype (Documents - Bills etc.)
C) year - month (eg. 2010-07 for July 2010)

4. Files are purged whenever I'm on my computer, which is more or less daily. I keep a separate recycling bin with 2 months' backlog of files, after which they are generally deleted forever. As with everything else in my life, I aim at tiny, sleek and portable - for things to take up as little space as possible while providing comprehensive coverage.

5. At this time, I offload photos, videos etc. manually instead of using the cloud. My zero-knowledge providers do not have phone/camera apps for automatic uploading, and I don't trust Dropbox et al. How often I offload them depends on how often I'm photographing etc. Upon offloading, I delete most and only keep a small, representative sample, which is then filed under the appropriate folder/subfolder etc. on hard drive/partition B.

6. The above is subject to continuous revision to further improve and streamline it in terms of time efficiency, space, apps/providers used etc. I don't regard it as absolutely cracker-proof, but it doesn't need to be - my main line of defense is anonymity and never ending up on anyone's radar as an important target. It's safe enough should my computer end up stolen or destroyed, and well-organised enough that everything can be found in a matter of seconds.

7. Never, ever, save anything on desktop. My desktop is reserved for gorgeous visuals only.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
My computer can be like a labyrinth:

Example: Documents>Recipes>[categories by type i.e. dessert, slow cooker, etc]>[subcategory i.e. chicken, comfort food, soup]>[actual recipes with possible additional subcategories e.g. bbq]

This is geared towards my personal thought process when I am selecting something:
Hmm what should I make for dinner this week? I wanna use the slow cooker. Probably chicken. BBQ sounds good. Ok, picked.

The pictures folders get a little squirrelly because I can perhaps over-organize and then when I'm sorting new pics I think "well this could technically go into one of 5 folders... so where would I most likely look for it" and then always have a different mindset when actually trying to locate that pic.

I combat this with how I name things and then just search the pics folder e.g. vacation.seattle.dec2012.sister.coffeeshop.jpg

So in summation, I'm a nerd.

edit: mostly agree with @Acataleptic re: nothing on the desktop - it is empty aside from the recycle bin and then if I have something I am working on at that time e.g. the hockey team folder (because spreadsheets) is on my desktop because I am updating it almost daily.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My computer can be like a labyrinth:

Example: Documents>Recipes>[categories by type i.e. dessert, slow cooker, etc]>[subcategory i.e. chicken, comfort food, soup]>[actual recipes with possible additional subcategories e.g. bbq]

This is geared towards my personal thought process when I am selecting something:
Hmm what should I make for dinner this week? I wanna use the slow cooker. Probably chicken. BBQ sounds good. Ok, picked.

The pictures folders get a little squirrelly because I can perhaps over-organize and then when I'm sorting new pics I think "well this could technically go into one of 5 folders... so where would I most likely look for it" and then always have a different mindset when actually trying to locate that pic.

I combat this with how I name things and then just search the pics folder e.g. vacation.seattle.dec2012.sister.coffeeshop.jpg

So in summation, I'm a nerd.

edit: mostly agree with @Acataleptic re: nothing on the desktop - it is empty aside from the recycle bin and then if I have something I am working on at that time e.g. the hockey team folder (because spreadsheets) is on my desktop because I am updating it almost daily.
My laptops name is literally Squirrelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Meh.
8,050 Posts
I like my desktop clean. I will usually have a clean up folder where I will dump random stuff that don't have a spot yet and I usually clean that up once every couple of months.

Clutter annoys me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Often I tend to do things in a hurry so I don't always have time to organize.

I have 2 computers so I have to deal with synchronization, but at the same time I don't want to have 2 copies of everything.

mac: directories for movies, music, pictures, documents, downloads, development and work

movies come and go (after I watch them) so I don't really organize it.
In music I have one directory for the musicians/groups whose name starts with any given letter of the alphabet. I have separate directories for greek and bulgarian music (because they use different alphabets).
pictures is messy and I'm looking for a good way to organize it. Ideally I'll have separate directories for separate events (probably grouped by place).
documents contains mostly text documents that I have written. I use a git repository to keep history and synchronize this between my two computers. This is the most precious directory, because most of the things here cannot be found online.
downloads contains things I can find online. It has: application packages I may some day need to install; links to streams - radio, tv, etc.; books and articles I have downloaded and find useful to keep (some I have read, others I haven't). The books are categorized by topic (fiction, hardware, programming, physics, mathematics, etc.)
development contains software I'm writing or have written. It's grouped by projects.
work is where the files related to my job go

I usually have some unsorted stuff scattered around the place

pc with linux: has a more complete movies directory, documents directory which is based on the same git repository, a separate downloads directory. I use this computer as a server so there is also server stuff

I have a development directory here as well, but just so that the chaos is complete, its contents are different. Some projects I have on both computers (possibly at different stages of development). Others I have just on one of them.

Here I also have directories with the content of my web server, virtual machines, several git repositories, videos sent by friends, a directory with customizations I have done to my linux

----

Usually I am able to find what I'm looking for fast.
Trying to organize everything is an ongoing effort and I just manage to keep up with the natural increase in entropy. Attempting to organize consumes a lot of time.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I organize similarly to @martinkunev minus the programming and git/web server. I keep my virtual machines in their own folder, and everything else is the same as his. :)

Nothing on my desktop, and I purge regularly. I am not a hoarder.

Reactions: martinkunev

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
how do you organize all the files/folders/documents on your computer
I don't. I have one folder on the desktop, inside there are another few inside which there are other folders and so on. Even my bookmark folders are kind of all over the place.

PerC.jpg

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't. I have one folder on the desktop, inside there are another few inside which there are other folders and so on. Even my bookmark folders are kind of all over the place.

View attachment 717385
HOTS tho amiright? That's the only game on my laptop at the moment :laughing:

Mine is fairly similar to this. I generally have just 1 or 2 folders on the desktop that inside of those then branch off neatly into anything I need. Like others have said in this thread, normally every month or two I go through and anything I haven't used recently/won't use anytime in the near future, I tend to purge and get rid of.

I made the terrible decision once when I was younger (around 14 or 15 I believe), of trying to get rid of a virus that the computer I had by myself, with 0 knowledge about what to do. So I was going through all the files in the computer that I could see, then I found the hidden folders, and continued to trawl through those looking for strange files that don't make sense. And I came across a ton of files with just long strings of letters and numbers... seemed like virus material to me, so I deleted a bunch. Turns out they were system files :crazy: Had to factory reset my computer because it was the easiest solution. That adventure did however teach me a ton about how operating system files work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I tend to build up a collection of things on my desktop that i use frequently and then move them into a folder called 'Everything' from there it get sorted into type and sub type

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
My desktop (1920 by 1080 screen) has 4 rows of icons, most of them are often used program or folder shortcuts so I dont have to click through a bunch of windows to find something.

My downloads folder is where I put pretty much all of my internet related junk, it is sorted automatically with the build in windows sorting system, first by alphabetic order and then by type and so on. This is good enough because if I want to find something then I have a vague idea of what its name is. Sometimes I clean it up of useless junk to get more disk space.

Important folders have a more definite structure. Schoolwork for example, it goes subject -> lectures/practical work/problems -> situational subdivisions within those. The main focus of this is to make it easier to find those lecture materials with cryptic file names for example. Everything is easy to find, I like it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
HOTS tho amiright? That's the only game on my laptop at the moment
Yup. Best quick game for when you need to finish the fight in between the suspicon walks your superior does through your office while you are supposed to be working.
I made the terrible decision once when I was younger (around 14 or 15 I believe), of trying to get rid of a virus that the computer I had by myself, with 0 knowledge about what to do. So I was going through all the files in the computer that I could see, then I found the hidden folders, and continued to trawl through those looking for strange files that don't make sense. And I came across a ton of files with just long strings of letters and numbers... seemed like virus material to me, so I deleted a bunch. Turns out they were system files :crazy: Had to factory reset my computer because it was the easiest solution. That adventure did however teach me a ton about how operating system files work.
I did the same thing when I was around the same age. I actually had a passion for messing up my family's computers even before I was in secondary school hehehe.

End of off-topic.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Files on my computer are pretty basic, but they're always up to date and are cleaned of excess at least once every two months. I try to keep my desktop as clean as possible too. Whenever too much junk is saved there from downloads, I create new folders to keep them in.

I'm really particular about my iTunes library. It's pristine. Every song has an album cover and the tags are appropriate. The only two issues I have with the system is that it's optimized for efficiency, not accuracy and I no longer keep full albums. So, say I have music from Arai Akino and KOHH. They're both Japanese artists but perform within different genres. However, I list them both under "J-Pop" in order to easily find them if I want to create a playlist.

The entire library is set up this way. I don't keep custom genres like "witch hop" or separate the classics into Romance or Baroque.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like my desktop clean. I will usually have a clean up folder where I will dump random stuff that don't have a spot yet and I usually clean that up once every couple of months.

Clutter annoys me.
seems like all of us like keeping desktop clean.
messy desktops make me feel an odd impulsive sort of way

·
Registered
100 Posts
No files on the desktop except one textfile i use for writing these forum postings. Because my companys server is my server, I don't use the windows user folders and keep everything on my server folder which is a RAID5 15k SAS with serveral backups. Unfortunately, because of the space restrictions I have big folders like my photo archive or video on a second server drive with larger 7k drives (also RAID5), but I merged these folders with links into the main one. Inside my personal folder, everything is sorted first by application/category, and then by projects. Photos by year and then by opportunity.

Backup with two drives: One in use connected, the second one in a fire-resistant safe.

I copy the subfolders I work on to my netbook personal folder and sync it with FreeFileSync Realtime. Works fine and I never had any data loss, even if I had at least four crashed HDDs in the last twenty years. But only IDE/SATA drives malfunctioning, never the SCSI/SAS ones ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts