Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you rather mess around with code or take apart/build a computer?

I'm asking because my Computer Professor is an ENTP as well, and we started talking, and, while I love code and the software aspect of it, he can't stand code and loves dealing with the hardware. I thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Software: But really I like to design creative stuff, rather than follow all these rules of programming.

The easier the programming approach, the better.

The less syntax I have to remember, the better

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I hated apple .... til I got a macbook .... I still hate apple .....tho I'm prob not gonna own a computer that's not a mac for the next couple decades I'd guess

It's kinda like if someone who you disliked for being a racist bigot does something nice for you..... I feel I shouldn't hate you so much now, but I still think you're an awful human being ... that except in regards to a corporation that stupidly horribly exploits humans ...Fuck Steve Jobs, I have about as much respect for him as Pol Pot ....well maybe that's a lil extreme, I do like my macbook

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I'm not particularly great at computers (I can hold my own but I am not going to be an IT tech any time soon); however, I am significantly better at software than hardware. I find that if you give me a new program to work on, I can screw around and figure it out. Hardware looks like a bunch of wires and pieces of metal to me. I think it is because with software, you can just mess around until you figure it out, if it didn't do what you wanted it to do, it still works usually, you just have to figure out a different way. Hardware usually does not have many different ways to do it so nothing works until you get it exactly right. I am guessing that most ENTPs are going to prefer software. It's more creative and less detailed.

My INTJ dad is very good at figuring out wiring for electricity, electrical components, or computers. He works at turtle's pace (as most INTJs do) but he will carefully read 15 articles on how to hook something up, figure out his design, and then carefully follow his own directions.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I hated apple .... til I got a macbook .... I still hate apple .....tho I'm prob not gonna own a computer that's not a mac for the next couple decades I'd guess

It's kinda like if someone who you disliked for being a racist bigot does something nice for you..... I feel I shouldn't hate you so much now, but I still think you're an awful human being ... that except in regards to a corporation that stupidly horribly exploits humans ...Fuck Steve Jobs, I have about as much respect for him as Pol Pot ....well maybe that's a lil extreme, I do like my macbook
you are such a weirdo :laughing:

I'm a huge mac fan, I've owned probably 8 macs so far.

Fuck hardware, I mean, it's pretty rare I even need to mess with it. Software is where it's at for me. Especially intuitive software. For example Apple's "Numbers" vs. Microsoft's "Excel." Numbers has a MUCH more simplified and zen interface whereas excel looks like the dashboard of a Boeing 747.

So I kind of take back the hardware comment. I have noticed that I have a lot of computer peripherals. And am extremely interested in HCI (Human computer interaction). So I have webcams, trackballs, microphones, even this thing called "LEAP" that is a little motion detector for your hands and you can use and program differend hand gestures to interact with the computer.

I've also spent countless hours setting up Dictation commands to control my OS, and recently just bought this AWESOME infrared usb thing that allows you to program virtually ANY remote control. You can map any button to do anything. Like push a button and iTunes will play a specific playlist, or a button will open a certain application. It's endless. I've even set up my PS4 controller to act like a virtual mouse.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I'm better at code, but i prefer hardware.
It's because usually with code, I can use one hand for one computer, and another for another.
I can multitask if i focuse hard enough

But hardware doesn't make my head hurt after 2 hours

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Programming. Simply because presents possibilities beyond the common physical laws of the "real world".
That would be no different than art. Programming is the ultimate law based language. You have to adhere to codes and math to the 100th degree.

So where the outcome of programming can be very creative original and artsy. The act of creating said art is all about 0's and 1's in perfect sequence.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
I'm not particularly great at computers (I can hold my own but I am not going to be an IT tech any time soon); however, I am significantly better at software than hardware. I find that if you give me a new program to work on, I can screw around and figure it out. Hardware looks like a bunch of wires and pieces of metal to me. I think it is because with software, you can just mess around until you figure it out, if it didn't do what you wanted it to do, it still works usually, you just have to figure out a different way. Hardware usually does not have many different ways to do it so nothing works until you get it exactly right. I am guessing that most ENTPs are going to prefer software. It's more creative and less detailed.

My INTJ dad is very good at figuring out wiring for electricity, electrical components, or computers. He works at turtle's pace (as most INTJs do) but he will carefully read 15 articles on how to hook something up, figure out his design, and then carefully follow his own directions.
Hey Geonerd... The same can be said for hardware.

You can just mess around with hardware and achieve something. It is just a different physical set of items.
Basically its just reverse engineering, with either, to figure them out without existing knowledge.

I do not agree that software is more or less creative or less detailed.

I mean think about it ... Crazy Birds is probably something huge like 6million lines of codes of math.

My hard drive works with no moving parts and has a few jumpers.

Programming= numbers and math in perfect styling. At least with hardware you can "rig" stuff up.

Apples to oranges really.

·
Registered
202 Posts
At least with hardware you can "rig" stuff up.
You clearly haven't seen much source code. There are programming languages like perl that are clearly designed to "rig" stuff up. I think that it's that property that excites me about programming. Sure you can properly write code and comments but you can also go quick and dirty and tryout stuff and peek and poke at problems from any angle.. It's fun.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
You clearly haven't seen much source code. There are programming languages like perl that are clearly designed to "rig" stuff up. I think that it's that property that excites me about programming. Sure you can properly write code and comments but you can also go quick and dirty and tryout stuff and peek and poke at problems from any angle.. It's fun.

I would say lets agree to disagree but my lack of any math based give a care says I would
disagree with agreeing to disagree.

I will defer to your good judgment on coding as I hate the stuff.

I was, without stating the code type, referring to binary to Octal to Deci to Hex as a derivative of ON/OFF.
Open/Close or Empty/Full 0/1 . In such a case if one instruction set is wrong it fails.

Depending on software fail safes and user messaging it may just do nothing at all when it does fail.

But alas my argument holds no merit as the OP started this thread based on software and not
coding anyhow.

I have seen massive amounts of source code which is exactly why I dodge it.

I used to script a lot back in my BBS/IRC days that was kinda fun but it was
a written program for creating script as appose to coding it from scratch.

Hardware without software is a great door stop or something to throw at
people yer mad at. Software without hardware has no use and is not even possible.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Let's put it this way: No matter if an entp likes hardware or software better. Whatever we do, the engineers will get angry. No matter if I rig hardware or software, I won't follow procedure, I wont comment what I do and usually I am done when it sorta works.

In the office building where I work there is a company that check source codes for problems and the people who do that are very intp, some borderline aspergers, some borderline autistic. If any of them saw what I do with code, I am sure they would stone me to death.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Speaking of, just upgraded my mac to El Capitan (what's up with these national park named operating systems?) and so far, my socks have not been blown off. :(

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Let's put it this way: No matter if an entp likes hardware or software better. Whatever we do, the engineers will get angry. No matter if I rig hardware or software, I won't follow procedure, I wont comment what I do and usually I am done when it sorta works.

The bane on ENTP existence !

I have never fixed a hardware problem the same way twice :)

I do not believe this is productive but it definitely was-is way more fun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts