Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's a common perception that ENTPs generally lack the concentration skills of the SJs. But today I realized that concentration is like any other skill, in that you have to practice it. Starting today when I was preparing a new sales script for business I would constantly have this urge to switch screens to my internet browser where I can check Facebook, personality cafe, NBA news, entrepreneur sites, and all the the sites I routinely visit. What I'm trying to accomplish is to improve my concentration so that it comes more naturally.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have just taken my laptop out of my study so I can sit down to pay the bills, do the household admin etc without temptation. Trying to turn over a new leaf since the car insurance debacle.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just taken my laptop out of my study so I can sit down to pay the bills, do the household admin etc without temptation. Trying to turn over a new leaf since the car insurance debacle.
I guess these silly admin things are a constant struggle if you're an ENTP eh. I swear, as soon as I have the money I'm hiring an accountant to do all that stuff for me. Ultimately I want to delegate ALL of the stuff I hate doing, such as cooking, cleaning and paying bills to other people, and then I can only focus doing stuff I like, such as talking to clients, figuring out solutions to problems and driving.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, I suffer from the urge to jump to the next task before it is finished because I have already finished it in my head. I live by the rule: "No. Finish the thing you were doing first."

Otherwise, I think I am a very skilled multitasker. I can do work, listen to radio and keep an eye on web/mail etc. When faced with a challenge I can focus intensely. So intensely that other people can have a hard time reaching me sometimes.

Physics problems or logical quizzes need more of my brain than linguistics or general knowledge questions. Some answers just come to me without conscious effort.

EDIT:My SJ friends are jealous of me because of my mental quickness and the apparent ease with which I do it. They focus/concentrate on one thing, step-by-step but it takes forever for them to reach conclusion. Then, most often, it is one of my earliest and already scrapped (for several logical and correct reasons) ideas. I say that we have a multitasking skill that they havent got (and a model of thinking that surpasses theirs x10 when being creative) , but we must keep tight reigns on our minds so that we finish what we do and not wander off.

NT description says that we are able to focus intensely on any matter, and that we can seem like off-wordly to others....

Reactions: purplevelvetmask

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I guess these silly admin things are a constant struggle if you're an ENTP eh. I swear, as soon as I have the money I'm hiring an accountant to do all that stuff for me. Ultimately I want to delegate ALL of the stuff I hate doing, such as cooking, cleaning and paying bills to other people, and then I can only focus doing stuff I like, such as talking to clients, figuring out solutions to problems and driving.
The ENTP girl I had a "fling" with recently did just that. And she also said that she was uninterested in developing weak sides, but wanted to work purely on her strengths. I found her unbalanced and actually a bit Immature. But she showed all the traits of an ENTP. Also the negative ones. Personally I try to better the weaknesses AND my strengths (but strengths come naturally: You just use them, dont you?).

I guess Ihate the weaknesses and perhaps try to fight myself out of the Personality type folds... But retaining strengths while gaining new ones, and new insights.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Maybe just as you said, your not made for the mundane tasks & they bore you. Find a way to get through them asap & then you won't abandon these things or put them to the side. I'm still working on it too... I doubt it's a concentration issue though as much as it's an issue of finding ways to get through the rote unquenching tasks and chores required in day to day life. Sure, I skip them sometimes too but they only pile up making it worse when I decide to finally face them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
BOO! Cooking is awesome and not a boring Si task. Seriously dude learn to cook and it'll be awesomely fun!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yes!

Took a while to learn that "just being myself" wasn't really going to get me where I needed to go. So recognizing my weaknesses (and addle-mindedness is one of them) and working to develop them is very important to me now.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Ultimately I want to delegate ALL of the stuff I hate doing, such as cooking, cleaning and paying bills to other people,
They will rob you blind if you don't watch them, yourMom. You have to understand what they do in order to watch them. There are no shortcuts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm surprised that you listed cooking as a thing you hate doing. Granted, I only enjoy cooking if I'm in a state-of-the-art kitchen, but when I'm in control of the appliances and ingredients, and I'm making up a new recipe from scratch like, say, coffee-flavoured caramelized onions, and everything about the kitchen is there for the sole purpose of making my job easier, it's...

Well, it's the closest thing I'll experience to being a dictator, I guess.

*sigh*

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Cooking something special when you have time and space and want to do it is fun.

Wondering what the kids are going to eat tonight on your way home from work, and trying to make it different from last week and the week before, not fun.
:dry:

Moving the laptop out of the study is proving to be very useful. I'm getting stuff done. It also helps that I am home alone for a few days. It's only when I get a chance to move at my own pace and in my own erratic way that I realise how distractable and distracted I am normally. I've been doing a little bit of this job, then a bit of that, then checking out the newspaper, saying hello to the cat, back to job 1, and so on. When the family are around I get interrupted constantly and forget where I was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts