Personality Cafe banner

9221 - 9227 of 9227 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
This is why it's important to stop and reflect on your life sometimes to see if the things you're doing have a point. If not, stop doing them.
If I truly reflect on the real point of anything, I'll just end up lying in stasis on the hard ground until I terminate 😂

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If I truly reflect on the real point of anything, I'll just end up lying in stasis on the hard ground until I terminate 😂
If you just start with the assumptions that it's good to stay alive and comfortable, at least half of your day is already spent doing something valuable.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
If you just start with the assumptions that it's good to stay alive and comfortable, at least half of your day is already spent doing something valuable.
For the record, I'm not depressed or unhappy about life in any way.

My core idea about "the meaning of life" is that all living creatures exist with the sole purpose of maximising the amount of time for which they're alive. If my constituent atoms were all one element, I'd just be a big inert block, but that's not what I am, I'm a complex organism and my purpose is to live as one. If I find joy in irrelevant things like eating cheese, then that's just the way this universe set me to be.

Having said that... If someone is depressed or unhappy or finds no joy in the concept of life, then arguably that's the way the universe set them to be. Hmmmm. Tricky! Oh well, I'm content.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
For the record, I'm not depressed or unhappy about life in any way.

My core idea about "the meaning of life" is that all living creatures exist with the sole purpose of maximising the amount of time for which they're alive. If my constituent atoms were all one element, I'd just be a big inert block, but that's not what I am, I'm a complex organism and my purpose is to live as one. If I find joy in irrelevant things like eating cheese, then that's just the way this universe set me to be.

Having said that... If someone is depressed or unhappy or finds no joy in the concept of life, then arguably that's the way the universe set them to be. Hmmmm. Tricky! Oh well, I'm content.
I didn't think you were depressed or unhappy in life, I'm just trying to understand why the question "what was the point?" is a hard one to answer for you.

Why do you have a problem reflecting on the "real point of anything" if the answer is always that things happen "because that's the way the universe set it".

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I didn't think you were depressed or unhappy in life, I'm just trying to understand why the question "what was the point?" is a hard one to answer for you.

Why do you have a problem reflecting on the "real point of anything" if the answer is always that things happen "because that's the way the universe set it".
In my defense, I was very drunk when I had that thought, and was in the tired hungover "day after drinking" state while it lingered. I don't really give it that much thought normally.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I've been staying up too late all week and sleeping not enough. The result has been an odd sense of sadness and tiredness today that I did not like. It has been remedied by whisky now.

Next week I intend to be in bed before 11pm every single day. As in, in bed, with the lights off, in the dark, sleeping. Not sitting on my phone for a couple of hours longer. Next week is habit-breaking week. Or in another sense, it's new-habit-forming week. Sleep habit!

9221 - 9227 of 9227 Posts