Personality Cafe banner

9641 - 9660 of 9701 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
@HAL on the subject: I was gonna buy a pack again just now... But then I read this: "Smoking just one cigarette a day has a much higher risk of developing coronary heart disease and stroke than expected -- about half the risk of smoking 20 per day."

So occasional smoking is half as bad as going all-out, all day, every day. What's your take on that? It's actually stopping me from running to the store right now.
That's bizarre. Can't say I know much about how true it is though.

Oh haha, quite possibly.
They also 'anonymized' all packages here: grey sleeve, can't really tell the difference between brands anymore (just says so in Arial 12 on the front). Same in the UK?
Yep! Dull packs and an image showing death and disease in some form.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Maybe it was an EU thing. Maybe Brexit will bring back my mint cigs! :unsure:
Also: I think way healthier alternatives should be stimulated. So if mint (like light etc.) is, what, 80% of the regular cigarettes (?), I think we should take it much further and develop a brand/taste that calibrates at about 20-25% or even lower. It's really just about the act of smoking for most people. Like a tic. So by promoting instead of blocking the healthier alternatives, don't we tackle the health issue?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That's bizarre. Can't say I know much about how true it is though.
I guess the particles stick or something, for a certain period of time. So every new one just prolongs the effect, I don't know.

Yep! Dull packs and an image showing death and disease in some form.
Infertility is like - sure, give me that one.

·
Registered
INTx
135 Posts
@NipNip just go cold turkey. I quit smoking 2 years ago, no problem. It's need is illusory, and so is it's power over you.

On that note, even though I find EU regulative concerning cigarettes to be hypocritical and overly covert, I am against any freedom to create more appealing forms of cigarettes, either through artificial taste, or marketing. So I guess I'm more on their side. There's nothing good in smoking.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
@NipNip just go cold turkey. I quit smoking 2 years ago, no problem. It's need is illusory, and so is it's power over you.
Yeah agreed. It's more of an impulse (i.e. psychological), because I cannot for the life of me become a long-term/full-time smoker.

On that note, even though I find EU regulative concerning cigarettes to be hypocritical and overly covert, I am against any freedom to create more appealing forms of cigarettes, either through artificial taste, or marketing. So I guess I'm more on their side. There's nothing good in smoking.
If anything, commerce. And I think it's still the choice/responsibility of the individual, so why should it be governed?

·
Registered
Fool
927 Posts
Yeah agreed. It's more of an impulse (i.e. psychological), because I cannot for the life of me become a long-term/full-time smoker.
It's psychological and chemical, for any people who don't smoke it's disgusting, I only smoke when I drink ... but I'm drinking too much in this banana crisis, so yeah ... it's not good.

If anything, commerce. And I think it's still the choice/responsibility of the individual, so why should it be governed?
I am probably the most anarchist capitalist here but I am not in favor of any drug that kills you little by little and I do not support any business that does that ... you are not creating value or a better life for others, you are making them slaves of some chemical and obtaining benefits in lowering the quality of life of people, totally disastrous. Of course, stupid as I am, I can get high and drunk every week, but it's not something I want for other people.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
Who knows.

But I'm not so sure. The most outstanding thing in the INFP type description is that they feel bound by a quest to do moral good for society. I feel bound by moral good in my own personal life framework, but I have no interest in going out of my way to push any extra moral good onto wider society. Also I highly suspect my definition of 'moral good' is very subjective, and what I really mean is "my perfect vision of the world".
INFPs are all bout theMselves. Kind of like INTPs.

Except facts don’t care about feelings. ESTJs always win these fights.

I recommend New Thought systems within MBTI to you as I do to the others. Only 7 traits need to be identified to complete the pattern.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
INFPs are all bout theMselves. Kind of like INTPs.
infp tend to look like large eyed defenseless and somewhat pathetic animals... thus others seem more keen to protect them from danger.. and in turn, view them as more altruistic.

while NTs are generally viewed as feral animals, in particular, cats... which they fear will attempt to suffocate them in their sleep.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
infp tend to look like large eyed defenseless and somewhat pathetic animals... thus others seem more keen to protect them from danger.. and in turn, view them as more altruistic.

while NTs are generally viewed as feral animals, in particular, cats... which they fear will attempt to suffocate them in their sleep.

I’m watching the Type Police and people are going to jail for thinking they are not the types they are.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
The beating up a bully story is quite interesting to me. It is like a personal thing about courage and bravado. It makes a person better than others simply because they were able to fight back and beat the bully.

I presume that when a person physically fights others, they may become insensitive to words. They are weak compared to physical attacks.

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
I joined the "expats in Saigon" facebook group a while ago. Recently I dared to make a post in there asking about how things are for programmer jobs in Vietnam.

One guy messaged and asked me to send him my CV, so I did. He has now just asked me what my salary expectations are. I told him an amount which is lower than I currently earn, but high-ish for Vietnam. Overall I'd be taking a pay cut, but not by much, because of price differences between UK and Vietnam in general, i.e. I'd still be able to save some money and live a relatively comfortable life.

However, I'm now doing that classic INTP self-doubt thing where I've convinced myself that the salary I told him is way too high, and I need to go back to him and add some kind of caveat like "I'd also still be interested to know about opportunities if the salary is a little lower". But I'm trying to play hardball and see if I get a response based on the salary I said. But that also scares me because it means he might start looking for positions way above my experience level. Or he might just ignore me completely.

And so I am in a vortex of mild doubt and worry.

Update: Never mind. I've just researched average salaries for Saigon and it seems I gave exactly the right ballpark figure.

But still I am in a vortex of mild doubt and worry :D

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
I joined the "expats in Saigon" facebook group a while ago. Recently I dared to make a post in there asking about how things are for programmer jobs in Vietnam.

One guy messaged and asked me to send him my CV, so I did. He has now just asked me what my salary expectations are. I told him an amount which is lower than I currently earn, but high-ish for Vietnam. Overall I'd be taking a pay cut, but not by much, because of price differences between UK and Vietnam in general, i.e. I'd still be able to save some money and live a relatively comfortable life.

However, I'm now doing that classic INTP self-doubt thing where I've convinced myself that the salary I told him is way too high, and I need to go back to him and add some kind of caveat like "I'd also still be interested to know about opportunities if the salary is a little lower". But I'm trying to play hardball and see if I get a response based on the salary I said. But that also scares me because it means he might start looking for positions way above my experience level. Or he might just ignore me completely.

And so I am in a vortex of mild doubt and worry.

Update: Never mind. I've just researched average salaries for Saigon and it seems I gave exactly the right ballpark figure.

But still I am in a vortex of mild doubt and worry :D
Those average salaries are untrustworthy. I thought I was doing my due diligence, but the average salary was $18,000 lower than the minimum amount they were willing to give. That screwed up the negotiations.

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
Those average salaries are untrustworthy. I thought I was doing my due diligence, but the average salary was $18,000 lower than the minimum amount they were willing to give. That screwed up the negotiations.
I feel it's the opposite for me. The 'average salary' website I looked at gave a particular number, but looking at job openings on Vietnam jobs sites gives a slightly lower number than the apparent average. Low enough to make me have seconds thoughts about any impulsive job-changing to the other side of the world.

And low enough to keep me in that vortex of worry and self-doubt.

But also, feeling kinda excited that I've taken the first step of sending my CV out.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
I feel it's the opposite for me. The 'average salary' website I looked at gave a particular number, but looking at job openings on Vietnam jobs sites gives a slightly lower number than the apparent average. Low enough to make me have seconds thoughts about any impulsive job-changing to the other side of the world.

And low enough to keep me in that vortex of worry and self-doubt.

But also, feeling kinda excited that I've taken the first step of sending my CV out.
I was never into negotiations anyway. The guy who I did it with already left the company of course.

I wonder what would happen if my teammates left the company and I had been there a few years. Would I became the new old guy? The one every asks their questions to?

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
I was never into negotiations anyway. The guy who I did it with already left the company of course.

I wonder what would happen if my teammates left the company and I had been there a few years. Would I became the new old guy? The one every asks their questions to?
I dread the thought of becoming that guy.

Actually maybe I don't. It's probably easier than starting as a new guy in a high position. I've always believed that "time served" is better than being "high ranked but actually a noob".

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
I dread the thought of becoming that guy.

Actually maybe I don't. It's probably easier than starting as a new guy in a high position. I've always believed that "time served" is better than being "high ranked but actually a noob".
I had a moment on Monday where I had suddenly been given some 5-10 extra items on my plate. They call them “requests” and it was the first time I felt slightly overwhelmed since the first couple of months.

That’s what being highly ranked must be like all the time. Probably a reason why I doubt seeing this being long term. But I don’t plan life ahead anyway. If everyday was like that, the diminishing returns of money would be amplified.

If I had made $50,000 more a year but I was constantly wrapped up in ten different things could I be pleased with that? I doubt it.

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
@Grandmaster Yoda Not that this is pertinent information for you, but it's closure to my original post that you replied to:

He just replied saying my requested salary amount is okay.

This is of course a good thing.

But I am still in my vortex of over-thinking, because now I wonder... should I have said a higher amount?!

Alas, greed befests us all.

(I just invented the word 'befest' and I think it sounds quite good there).

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
@Grandmaster Yoda Not that this is pertinent information for you, but it's closure to my original post that you replied to:

He just replied saying my requested salary amount is okay.

This is of course a good thing.

But I am still in my vortex of over-thinking, because now I wonder... should I have said a higher amount?!

Alas, greed befests us all.

(I just invented the word 'befest' and I think it sounds quite good there).
They say always ask for more.

On a pertinent note, my Change Request is being postponed. This is good because I was getting anxiety about it.

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
They say always ask for more.

On a pertinent note, my Change Request is being postponed. This is good because I was getting anxiety about it.
True, but then I fear that it would place higher expectations on me, cos it's like saying "I believe I am worth this much", which entails a following "I'll have to prove myself" mentality. And I hate it when pressure/competition/ego becomes part of my life.

I prefer the reverse concept, where an employer tells me how much they want to pay me, so then there's no pressure and my mentality can change to, "Hey it's not my fault if I do badly, they chose to employ me!" But yeah, that also risks being underpaid and/or cheated. The money world is lame.

9641 - 9660 of 9701 Posts