Personality Cafe banner

9661 - 9680 of 9701 Posts

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
True, but then I fear that it would place higher expectations on me, cos it's like saying "I believe I am worth this much", which entails a following "I'll have to prove myself" mentality. And I hate it when pressure/competition/ego becomes part of my life.

I prefer the reverse concept, where an employer tells me how much they want to pay me, so then there's no pressure and my mentality can change to, "Hey it's not my fault if I do badly, they chose to employ me!" But yeah, that also risks being underpaid and/or cheated. The money world is lame.
Use your techniques of persuasion to get higher pay. Strangely, they say all of this white boarding and role playing around interviews is “Ti-ing Fe.” I prefer to go with the flow. I think about what I’m going to say beforehand but I won’t rehearse it and by letting it happen naturally, I seem to have pulled much better answers than I initially imagined. Almost like there’s some alternate process at work when I’m thinking to answering a question after being directly asked.

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
Use your techniques of persuasion to get higher pay. Strangely, they say all of this white boarding and role playing around interviews is “Ti-ing Fe.” I prefer to go with the flow. I think about what I’m going to say beforehand but I won’t rehearse it and by letting it happen naturally, I seem to have pulled much better answers than I initially imagined. Almost like there’s some alternate process at work when I’m thinking to answering a question after being directly asked.
I've never done a whiteboard interview and intend to never do one. It's absolute bollocks. No relevance to programming at all. I'll walk out if there's a whiteboard interview for any job I apply for.

·
Registered
aɪntp
3,642 Posts
My coworkers find my facial expressions quite hilarious. Apparently my eyebrows twitch when I'm thinking, as if they're transmitting signals. I guess my eyeballs move around as well but I don't know for sure. When I get lost in my thought process I don't really have a grip on what's going on so maybe my face reflects it as I don't have control over what I'm displaying. I've heard them use a few technical adjectives when describing me, which would suggest that I may be a droid.

I don't know what to make of this. I don't mind them making fun of me, I'm just trying to figure out why people respond to me the way they do.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
I've never done a whiteboard interview and intend to never do one. It's absolute bollocks. No relevance to programming at all. I'll walk out if there's a whiteboard interview for any job I apply for.
Well, I’m about to put my practices to a test.

On Monday I asked a Developer to show me to API on my database inventory software.

My manager wants me to start writing scripts using APIs and libraries. The end goal for this procedure is to get some configuration automation going on.

I suppose I’m becoming a DevOps person now or OpsDev? Either way, I don’t know how to deal with any of this stuff, but I can imagine the power I will have with programming in this role. Most of my team is more or less traditional, and best takes advantage of existing automation. Would be awesome for me to skip over that and basically build the automation itself. I have low confidence in my current abilities, but somewhat nice prospects about my future abilities and what I can achieve.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Ulysses (Joyce) is a shit damn difficult read, especially as a non-native. But that's the whole point I guess, to toughen myself up. I wanna get good at writing, and unless I indulge myself in literature I'll never get there.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
I’m still thinking of that time in math class the professor asked me, “How many times do you need to cut a piece of paper to make four pieces of paper?” And I said, “Two times,” He said, “Actually it takes three times and said if you cut vertically three times you will get four pieces.

But you can do it in two cuts, if you cut horizontally and then vertically. If it’s a question of “need” then I was looking for the minimum numbers of cuts required, but at the same time I didn’t even think of cutting three times. I can’t tell which came first, the fact that I only needed two cuts or two cuts and then post-rationalization of it as being minimally needed,

·
Registered
Fool
927 Posts
Ulysses (Joyce) is a shit damn difficult read, especially as a non-native. But that's the whole point I guess, to toughen myself up. I wanna get good at writing, and unless I indulge myself in literature I'll never get there.
Reading translations is a hit or miss , i prefer alot of books in english rather in my native language 'cause is alot easier and more to the point.

the truth cervantes's writing of don quixote in spanish is fatal, each page has about 30 notes so that the modern person can understand it because cervantes used a much older language, don quixote was a mockery of ancient chivalric books.

So yeah ... I think reading in English is much easier and more accurate, but you lose a lot of the nuances that other languages have, but sometimes that loss of literary beauty is actually the best way to get the best message. well, this depends on each book and each translation ....

that is me tho , i don't like poetry that much and i prefer to obtain the meaning in the most logical way.

·
Registered
INTx
135 Posts
I’m still thinking of that time in math class the professor asked me, “How many times do you need to cut a piece of paper to make four pieces of paper?” And I said, “Two times,” He said, “Actually it takes three times and said if you cut vertically three times you will get four pieces.

But you can do it in two cuts, if you cut horizontally and then vertically. If it’s a question of “need” then I was looking for the minimum numbers of cuts required, but at the same time I didn’t even think of cutting three times. I can’t tell which came first, the fact that I only needed two cuts or two cuts and then post-rationalization of it as being minimally needed,
Haha this is awesome. In highschool it seemed that once a month a situation like this will happen. Gladly I forgot most of them by now.

I also had serious problems with teachers not understanding my questions at all. In 7th grade professor thought us that light moves in a straight line. I never thought about travel of light and I found it fascinating that it never bends (turns out it sortof does, if the space bends :p), so I asked the professor "how would it look like if light didn't travel in a straight line but would move erratically and in wierd patters? Would we see static with ocassional wierd shapes? Could we see this blackboard looking away from it if by some chance all this light was bent together in a way to make a coherent picture?

His answer was - "I don't understand the question, the light moves in a straight line." Pure disappointment on my part. But i quickly concluded that my hunch must have been correct.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Reading translations is a hit or miss , i prefer alot of books in english rather in my native language 'cause is alot easier and more to the point.

the truth cervantes's writing of don quixote in spanish is fatal, each page has about 30 notes so that the modern person can understand it because cervantes used a much older language, don quixote was a mockery of ancient chivalric books.

So yeah ... I think reading in English is much easier and more accurate, but you lose a lot of the nuances that other languages have, but sometimes that loss of literary beauty is actually the best way to get the best message. well, this depends on each book and each translation ....

that is me tho , i don't like poetry that much and i prefer to obtain the meaning in the most logical way.
Have you read Julio Cortázar?

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
I keep suffering from small bouts of mild depressive feelings and it's getting very annoying. There's no reason for it, so it must be due to the lingering winter lockdown isolation shit. But still, it isn't as bad as it was the other week, so I shall persevere.

At the very least, I'm quite proud of how I'm rationalising it. I can't imagine being the type of person to wallow in sadness for the sake of wallowing (although I do understand that some people suffer from chronic depression and it must be fucking horrible).

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
At the very least, I'm quite proud of how I'm rationalising it. I can't imagine being the type of person to wallow in sadness for the sake of wallowing (although I do understand that some people suffer from chronic depression and it must be fucking horrible).
Perspective is what makes you good at it. It's really just cycles, patterns repeating. The error mentally weak people make, is to think this whole run is gonna last forever. Never does.
The only trouble I have with that though, is that brighter periods/days lose some value as well because I just know it's only temporary.

Reactions: HAL

·
Registered
INTP
5,966 Posts
Perspective is what makes you good at it. It's really just cycles, patterns repeating. The error mentally weak people make, is to think this whole run is gonna last forever. Never does.
The only trouble I have with that though, is that brighter periods/days lose some value as well because I just know it's only temporary.
Haha amazing. This is exactly how I see it. Bad days don't last forever, and I indeed also have moments of clarity on good days when I remind myself that the good days probably won't be forever either.

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
Haha this is awesome. In highschool it seemed that once a month a situation like this will happen. Gladly I forgot most of them by now.

I also had serious problems with teachers not understanding my questions at all. In 7th grade professor thought us that light moves in a straight line. I never thought about travel of light and I found it fascinating that it never bends (turns out it sortof does, if the space bends :p), so I asked the professor "how would it look like if light didn't travel in a straight line but would move erratically and in wierd patters? Would we see static with ocassional wierd shapes? Could we see this blackboard looking away from it if by some chance all this light was bent together in a way to make a coherent picture?

His answer was - "I don't understand the question, the light moves in a straight line." Pure disappointment on my part. But i quickly concluded that my hunch must have been correct.
Some people are weak with counter-factuals. What if the sky was green? I don’t understand the sky is blue.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,048 Posts
Why are we here?
lack of adequate stimulation, repressive need for belonging

The nature of black holes?
empathy sinks; being near strong and exaggerated emotions of an external party or parties that lead to the an/nihilation of the internal sense of self and its perception of the world.

Are you gonna finish that croissant?
it's been there for two years, six and half months; if or when we remember to eat, it will be immediately accessible.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I made the terrible mistake of buying Camembert cheese, aka sweaty old man's sandals in my fridge.

Reactions: HAL

·
Registered
29,799 Posts
Why are we here?

The nature of black holes?

Are you gonna finish that croissant?
These are all related questions. Morgan Freeman was talking about how the universe could be a superorganism where the arteries carry neutrinos and the whole point is to reproduce using black holes.

It is pure coincidence that we as lifeforms evolved as carbon monoxide is needed to cool the exploding stars into plumes of space gas and then finally that will transform into black holes.

As for the third question, it my decision to not eat finish this croissant is purely incidental to the creation of black holes.

9661 - 9680 of 9701 Posts