Personality Cafe banner

9781 - 9800 of 9826 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
6,406 Posts
Today's good and bad news:

Bad
I lasted about a week without smoking, but am now back to doing it just like before. I don't like this.

Good
The weather has turned so nicely that my balcony cigarettes are now happening in shorts and t-shirt. To think it was icy and cold just a handful of weeks ago. UK weather is bizarre.

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
I don't really understand the creepiness of stalking (to some degree, obviously). Doesn't almost everyone do that? Specially nowadays with social media? The hypocrisy, the hypotenuse.

·
Registered
INTP
6,406 Posts
I don't really understand the creepiness of stalking (to some degree, obviously). Doesn't almost everyone do that? Specially nowadays with social media? The hypocrisy, the hypotenuse.
I think one of the most accidental creepy things I've done was when a friend of mine gave me her address and then I sent her a screenshot of her house from google street maps.

It was supposed be a joke, like heyyy haha I found your house because you gave me your address.

She found it funny but she also said I was an absolute weirdo for doing it.

I didn't feel weird when I did it.

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
I think one of the most accidental creepy things I've done was when a friend of mine gave me her address and then I sent her a screenshot of her house from google street maps.

It was supposed be a joke, like heyyy haha I found your house because you gave me your address.

Why the hell a weirdo? She gave you her address, you just did a logical thing out of curiosity. It's funny! I really don't get it🙃

Reactions: islandlight and HAL

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
The idea of making an internet account to pretend you are a different person seems like it would work too easily.
Daleks and I watched The Circle on Netflix. It's a reality show where the contestants only interact on a custom social media platform and the goal is to ranked the highest at the end of the game. Contestants are completely free to make their own profile and the fun is seeing how far the cat fishers get.

It was surprisingly decent for a reality TV show.

I do think it's weird. Why would anyone feel the need to learn as much about someone as they can without just asking them?

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
Why would anyone feel the need to learn as much about someone as they can without just asking them?
Because you're curious and you have the capacity to observe (?). Specially if it's on social media, if the person leaves info out there, well, it's out there. Who doesn't like to know more in general?
I don't get it, I bet if you just approach to the person and start making questions, that would be considered creepy as well because 'we don't know each other'. Then what

Reactions: Pifanjr

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Because you're curious and you have the capacity to observe (?). Specially if it's on social media, if the person leaves info out there, well, it's out there. Who doesn't like to know more in general?
I don't get it, I bet if you just approach to the person and start making questions, that would be considered creepy as well because 'we don't know each other'. Then what
The biggest problem is that creeps tend to stalk people on social media. Which doesn't mean that everyone who stalks someone is a creep, but it does mean that for someone that doesn't know you, you're more likely to be a creep than someone who didn't stalk you.

And I personally don't really care to know more about the majority of people. Most people I would say aren't all that interested in learning things about strangers or casual acquaintances. Unless they planned on using that information for something.

Also, I have just approached a person and started asking questions and it was generally well received. You do need the social skills to determine whether it is appropriate to approach someone and what questions are appropriate to ask at what time.

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
The biggest problem is that creeps tend to stalk people on social media. Which doesn't mean that everyone who stalks someone is a creep, but it does mean that for someone that doesn't know you, you're more likely to be a creep than someone who didn't stalk you.

And I personally don't really care to know more about the majority of people. Most people I would say aren't all that interested in learning things about strangers or casual acquaintances. Unless they planned on using that information for something.

Also, I have just approached a person and started asking questions and it was generally well received. You do need the social skills to determine whether it is appropriate to approach someone and what questions are appropriate to ask at what time.
People are defenitely not that interesting in real life, you're right, but the fact that you can look things up and realize on your own- is it really different from investigating anything? It's like checking up info on Google, you're not entering their house or waiting for them outside hiding inside a trash can. But you're right, if you're more likely to be a creep because of this to a stranger, then it doesn't only make sense, there's also not much you can do to change that...
I think I've screwed up several times, but I swear I've never had bad intentions, I was just interested - I don't know why I always assume curiosity is a high need for everyone. I'm figuring out that's not enough reason for many.😂

Wouldn't life be better if we were all in an anime?

However, can we say the term 'creep' is either overestimated or too widely used in incorrect situations? When is someone an actual creep? When you're putting the person in danger? Or when you're being too intrusive? I have limits, but I guess I am a bit more flexible with that compare to others. For example, I have a funny story but everyone always freaks out when I tell it: my best friend actually followed me home for over a year before we met, and I thought that was hilarious. I mean, we were classmates and I lived really close from school, so it made sense to me. Although I never understood why I whole damn year, but, you know, he is weird, that's okay. Radiohead intensifies

·
Registered
INTP
6,406 Posts
One of my least favourite words is 'mojo'. It feels so 1960s.

That being said, I feel fucking great at the moment and I think it's due to the change in weather and a minor increase in the amount of sociability I've been getting. On Saturday I went for a trek with 4 people and had an ace barbecue with some booze in the wilderness.

I feel all alive and happy now; very different from the real depression feelings I had a few weeks ago.

I also spent all of yesterday working on my vengeance project, and now it's Monday morning and I actually feel motivated to do some good work for my day job, even though I'm quitting in less than 3 weeks.

As the 60s people would have said, I think I've got my mojo back.

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
I have to present my dissertation in... fuck, 1 min (weell, the conference starts in 1 min) and I haven't memorized anything. I hope adrenaline takes its part. I need my improvising magic✨

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
HOLY SHIT, I FORGOT THE PRESENTATION.
I had to just talk and show my document... oh, jesus, how didn't I think it was needed? 🤦‍♀️
The good thing is it went pretty well after all, minor corrections. Some are getting scolded because their dissertation doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
16,021 Posts
The idea of making an internet account to pretend you are a different person seems like it would work too easily.
Tried that once. Didn't work out. Kept fighting with myself to see who was tops. Eventually we both lost.

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
This happens too often for my own sanity.

"Why are you so insecure?" You make me insecure, Karen. Fuck off.

·
Registered
INTP
6,406 Posts
Trying hard again to not smoke. Haven't had one since Sunday.

Again, I don't really crave the cigarette itself, but I just haven't had any little outdoor break for bloody ages. Permanently indoors.

Probably going to go and buy some more soon.

·
Registered
peronsality
513 Posts
Trying hard again to not smoke. Haven't had one since Sunday.

Again, I don't really crave the cigarette itself, but I just haven't had any little outdoor break for bloody ages. Permanently indoors.

Probably going to go and buy some more soon.

View attachment 877113
I mean, sure you have thought about it, but why don't you smoke electronic cigarettes?

·
Registered
INTP
6,406 Posts
I mean, sure you have thought about it, but why don't you smoke electronic cigarettes?
Yeah a lot of folk have suggested that, but I don't like the idea because it means I'm fully committing to smoking paraphernalia and being a 'real smoker'.

Also, electric cigs are ok to smoke indoors, and they don't offer that short 5 minute timespan of a normal cigarette, so I wouldn't use them in that same way to time a little break out on my balcony.

Anyway, there is good news :D I didn't buy any cigs yesterday. I only have 2 weeks left of my job, and then I'm totally free, so I won't be stuck in my house all day. I'm going to do my best to just not buy any more cigs now.

·
Registered
30,280 Posts
I am struggling with dichotomies where people suggest that there is a clear response to something, but if a step is taken back neither alternative response is really obvious.

This requires a specific example. I encountered this yesterday and it was about a video of wild animals hunting and killing other wild animals.

In a video a prey animal is brutally eaten alive by a predator. So a commenter posted something like this, “Videos like these make me want to be a vegan to prevent the unnecessary suffering of animals. Look how they suffer.”

But when I read that I thought wouldn’t it equally be convincing to not be a vegan as the video shows that prey animals are brutally suffering regardless of our personal choices?

The video doesn’t really beg a specific opinion. Why did they choose to say that the video made them want to be vegan when I could take the same exact thing and say it’s a reason not to be vegan?

These instances usually fall out of memory very quickly, but I have seen them many times before. They seem most common in ethical subjects.

9781 - 9800 of 9826 Posts