Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I wonder if this is something other Sixes have trouble with too. Perhaps this is because I'm phobic more than anything, but here goes.

Confidence is generally something I have a hard time with. My sister (two years younger than me) has always been the person who jumps into things first before me. So I can watch and learn and then test the waters before attempting. I absolutely hate jumping into things.

There's a lack of confidence and fear that I'm going to make a mistake. I do this especially in piano... if I have to learn how to do something new having to do with technique, my teacher has to seriously rope me into to just "go for it and try and do it". She also says that whenever I am playing a piece and I make a mistake, suddenly I get a lot quieter and it's as though I've lost all my confidence and play everything else timidly. She calls this "the mouse".

I suppose I just want to get it right the first time for the other people around me - especially if they are people I respect. I also don't want to act like I'm fully confident, because I there's something I fear about being all confident and then making a very apparent mistake. It's almost like somehow I think, "If I'm quieter or more timid about it, the mistake will be smaller." x_X

I think it's a confidence thing more than anything else. Maybe if I were more confident, I wouldn't fear mistakes as much - I'd just go for it. XD I'm working on that particular skill, now. Whenever I'm with my friends, it's nice because I have to force myself to "go for it", and I can actually have fun doing so. Because with them, I can freely look like an idiot and they won't laugh.

Anyone relate to this at all?

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Yeah I can definitely relate to this. It takes me some time to plan and do things first.

One thing that helped me overcome this was the thought process, "If I go first, I set the level of expectation." Meaning, everyone else will go either up or down in terms of success or failure.

Also, if you're doing something say in front of a group of people think about what those people want from you. They're sitting there because you have something important to do or say. They want you to succeed.

Being confident means always being ready to accept failure. It's a learning process and no matter how many times I've spent preparing I've made mistakes before.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I was pretty arrogant with my gifts as a young man, so most of my classmates took the initiative to cut me down at their earliest convenience. I think mostly due to my poor interactions with people growing up is why my confidence isn't astronomical. Living in an environment like that, I was always afraid of looking like a fool in front of anyone. These days, I'm not afraid to fail if the only casualty is me. I tense up really bad when I have to perform and others' futures are riding on my progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also don't want to act like I'm fully confident, because I there's something I fear about being all confident and then making a very apparent mistake. It's almost like somehow I think, "If I'm quieter or more timid about it, the mistake will be smaller."
yeah i can relate to that. somehow when I start feeling confident about something i immediately take a step back and think that i shouldnt be too confident or else i might miss something and make a mistake. I hate making mistakes i think its more that i care too much about what other people will think of me if i do. Im currently working on that :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts