Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a new idea; I’m trialling it here cos I respect you guys. You guys’ve got some keen eyes for a bad method of communicating when you see it haha

So, here goes, amigos –

I think so many of our problems fall into the category of either *relative absence of confidence*, or *relative inability to relax*

This could be mentally, socially, physically, sexually, doesn’t matter.

When there’s someone that exhibits these qualities, that we don’t have – that’s something special. We respond to CONFIDENCE and the ABILITY TO RELAX in others, because it’s like they’ve got something, which we unconsciously realise we need in ourselves

What do you think? This rings true for me, does it ring true with you, or is there something you think would be helpful to remember, that I’ve not expressed, in describing these issues?

This is not an invitation to derail the thread to what’s inappropriate for under-18s though!

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Congrats @Maker of helmets you shed an interesting light there.

- Question :

I am curious how the problem you identified would manifest with different settings of MBTI protagonists?
Oops, previous question looks a lot like socionics :D

- Clarification :

Model A could give you interesting nuances to refine your system. Pay attention to the different blocks (Ego, Super-Ego...) and 4D, 3D... functions.

- Expansion :

Ego would be functions where we show confidence... Trying to conquer / harness 2D, 1D functions is what we do when we are inable to relax, and thus we tend to form bonds with people who have these functions in their Ego block.

I suggest that we debate it with socionics tools :D Your take?

Reactions: Maker of helmets

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I am going to respond in a much more straight forward way than pulling in socionics. I think people are always drawn to people who have what we lack, in general. It is the Yin/Yang thing. @maker-of-helmets has an interesting perspective on the confidence/relax thing and in a way you may be right. It also may be your perception because as an INFJ those might be things that you are more aware. In my dealing with the many people in my life, the Introverts I know tend to struggle with confidence (usually more socially) and IJs in particular have a hard time truly relaxing (they live so much in their heads, it is hard to get away from something that is happening internally). Neither of those are traits that I struggle with in general (occasionally there are those bad days but in general I am confident and relaxed about most things). I'm ENTP which confidence tends to be our MO (or we are good at faking confidence) and although I have a hard time sitting still, when I do relax or step away from stressful situation, I feel no guilt or have no problem letting it all go and relaxing.

However, there are different Yin and Yang issues in my life. I think my husband (ISTJ) and best friend (ISFJ) may have been drawn to me because of my mental and social confidence, I was not drawn to them for their relaxed anything (they both tend to over analyze and stress out easily in all aspects of their life). Neither are particularly confident-not terrible but neutral to slightly not confident (maybe my best friend is confident sexually based on our girly conversations). I will say that it is almost the opposite for me, when people are not confident, it actually bugs the hell out of me. I have to practice a lot of patience with my husband when he is going through the unconfident loop (that seemly long winded discussions on whether he can do something and that he sucks). Although the confidence/relax thing does not really apply to me, I am an extreme iNtuitive and Perceiver (I'm closer to the border of I/E and F/T) and I have always tended to be attracted both in friendship and romantic relationships with SJs since they seem to have their shit together. That's my seeking what I lack. I guess I could call it "Confidence in Order and Organization" but I think that is stretching it.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
I’ve got a new idea; I’m trialling it here cos I respect you guys. You guys’ve got some keen eyes for a bad method of communicating when you see it haha

So, here goes, amigos –

I think so many of our problems fall into the category of either *relative absence of confidence*, or *relative inability to relax*

This could be mentally, socially, physically, sexually, doesn’t matter.

When there’s someone that exhibits these qualities, that we don’t have – that’s something special. We respond to CONFIDENCE and the ABILITY TO RELAX in others, because it’s like they’ve got something, which we unconsciously realise we need in ourselves

What do you think? This rings true for me, does it ring true with you, or is there something you think would be helpful to remember, that I’ve not expressed, in describing these issues?

This is not an invitation to derail the thread to what’s inappropriate for under-18s though!

There are other problems too, traffic jams, war, pestilence, politicians, whiny girlfriends. What do we do about these ?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think Socionics offers some pretty interesting insights into the versions of desirable traits we could look for and see in others @WikiRevolution.

I have a question. What do you see as some of the most interesting insights from Socionics. And could you explain more for me how you would see what you've outlined of Socionics playing out in practice, for example with the ENTp or INFp :)

@Geonerd I like what you've said about IJs. I enjoy reading your observations because it's like you give a survey of the types and their foibles just by describing your anecdotal evidence from observing them.

Do they sometimes get anxious when you show how observant you are of them? Do you let this show to them? In my experience I feel more self-conscious with ENTP because I am aware of how keen-sighted they are of me, and how they will go straight to what I cannot yet acknowledge in myself is somewhat weaker than it should be, objectively speaking. I say objectively speaking because being commonly N, Fe and Ti users, I find, means ENTP and INFJ will arise with the same kinds of values. And so the aspects ENTP would point out in me are prone to be aspects I agree should be worked on, once they are pointed out. And yet I do not know what they are, and am aware of potential absence in me and aware of the objective advantage ENTP has over me in seeing things I cannot see and yet nevertheless value.

Would the ISJs you know be slightly different from this, and not value so much the same things and yet still benefit from your different perspective? Do you benefit from their different perspective, even though the values are somewhat different? Comes across like you appreciate their groundedness and ability to organise themselves in a way which is simply natural to how they operate.

@yentipeee You are right I failed to qualify the kind of problems I was speaking of - relational problems :D Haha. I am pretty sure that was what you were pointing out to me (?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have self-esteem issues, it really does affect my life. I put everyone else in my life above me. I feel if I had my self-esteem issues together, I wouldn't be tripping over myself. I even got seriously depressed in the year.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Yeah I think Socionics offers some pretty interesting insights into the versions of desirable traits we could look for and see in others @WikiRevolution.

I have a question. What do you see as some of the most interesting insights from Socionics. And could you explain more for me how you would see what you've outlined of Socionics playing out in practice, for example with the ENTp or INFp :)
Currently, it is that our tertiary function is something that easily undermines our self-esteem and whose conscious crafting is possible and actually may be the key to self-growth/improvement. => Happiness.
I think we are kind of semi-conscious of our tertiary this is why we are not confident in it and unable to relax.

Then, our inferior function is something in what we need assistance during our lives, but we are aware of it.

Also, this is why I try to be creative with my Fe, and asked advice in the INFJ subforum. I also started a thread called "ENTPs Fe Territory" and "ENTPs Si Territory". They are relatively short and may give you broader insights.

Cheers.

Reactions: Maker of helmets

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@NomNom

I am interested to know, when do you feel the most relaxed? Is there anything you find makes you feel more confident, even just for a moment, when you are by yourself, for example when you are listening to music?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
@Geonerd I like what you've said about IJs. I enjoy reading your observations because it's like you give a survey of the types and their foibles just by describing your anecdotal evidence from observing them.

Do they sometimes get anxious when you show how observant you are of them? Do you let this show to them? In my experience I feel more self-conscious with ENTP because I am aware of how keen-sighted they are of me, and how they will go straight to what I cannot yet acknowledge in myself is somewhat weaker than it should be, objectively speaking. I say objectively speaking because being commonly N, Fe and Ti users, I find, means ENTP and INFJ will arise with the same kinds of values. And so the aspects ENTP would point out in me are prone to be aspects I agree should be worked on, once they are pointed out. And yet I do not know what they are, and am aware of potential absence in me and aware of the objective advantage ENTP has over me in seeing things I cannot see and yet nevertheless value.

Would the ISJs you know be slightly different from this, and not value so much the same things and yet still benefit from your different perspective? Do you benefit from their different perspective, even though the values are somewhat different? Comes across like you appreciate their groundedness and ability to organise themselves in a way which is simply natural to how they operate.
To me, looking at MTBI on paper tends to be a bit stereotypical. To me, it is easier to observe those around me. I tend not to comment on those types that I do not know well. As far as dealing with ISxJs, I tend to let them let it all out and only occasionally chime in with my perspective. I only really discuss my observations on this site or with my dad who is into MTBI. With my husband, I often have to give him the perspective of others because he is so hard on himself, he always assumes everyone else around him holds him to that high of standard. I have to remind him that most people are not that detailed. I have to let my ISFJ friend feel like she came up with her ideas. She stresses out if she feel pressured. After explaining my husband MTBI type, it actually has made it easier to discuss things because he is seeing better where I am coming from in perspective to where he is coming from.

I actually completely respect the SJs. I am amazed at how much detail they can see, how well they focus and get things done, and the forethought goes into their decisions. It can also irritate the hell out me because they get so focused on getting things done or hemming and hawing over decisions or future events that they forget to enjoy their life while it is happening. I'm sure my seemingly careless attitude and inability to focus drives them crazy as much as it also relaxes them. The Ne can get in the way with both of them. I don't have those all over the place, theoretical conversations with them. They tend to redirect the conversation when it goes in a place they are not confident talking about or is not a topic they want to discuss (usually by looking bored, so it makes me stop and move on). I have a few iNtuitive friends that I let my Ne go wild.

Admittedly I have not met in life an INFJ (they are illusive creatures), so I don't have any direct observations about them.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Geonerd

My mum and dad are ISFJ and ISTJ respectively (best that I can tell).

I think the N-S difference always really struck my mum and she'd wonder what I was worrying about.

Dad I probably modelled myself after a little more in terms of aspirations, not really sure.

One time this guy was trying to guess what my dad's profession was, for some reason.

And he got to lecturer (which is right), and he said it's cos of 'confidence in my intellectual aggression'.

But actually I don't find my dad is an aggressive person, just that he can't let it go when he thinks something is right :p

Any tips on how best to communicate with either ISFJ or ISTJ is thus of course very welcome, so whatever I glean from reading your anecdotal experience is probably helpful. :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also think you are a very patient person - you sound like it. I mean, I'm sure you don't always *feel* patient but sounds like you think about how best you can be with these kids, your husband and best friend. And I think that shows a lot of the kind of person you are! That you're willing to give them a lot of space to receive the kind of help that they need. I appreciate that :)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I also think you are a very patient person - you sound like it. I mean, I'm sure you don't always *feel* patient but sounds like you think about how best you can be with these kids, your husband and best friend. And I think that shows a lot of the kind of person you are! That you're willing to give them a lot of space to receive the kind of help that they need. I appreciate that :)
I try, but it took maturing to get it right. Young ENTPs love to debate and argue and don't quite get that most everyone else does not think it is a sport. We fought a lot the first few years we were together. I'm not afraid of an argument but I realized that ISTJs are completely unreasonable in the heat of battle or major stress. The also hate when someone plays devils advocate because it seems like we are switching sides and that is unfortunately often how an ENTP debates. When they feel their values are being "attacked" there is no reasoning or compromise (funny thing is, he fights harder when he realizes he's wrong and you call him out on it). If I want to have an actually discussion that will have some results, I have to wait until after he gets out his anger and he is relaxed. ISTJs are actually pretty flexible, you just have to discuss it at the right time. When he is relaxed, my very direct way of discussing things works.

ISFJ are harder for me because I feel like when I need to discuss something that is bugging me, I have to do it with a fluffy pillow, not a direct poke. It is very easy to hurt my best friends feelings. It is a little unnatural for me to have to do things in a round about way, but as I am not with her daily, it is not much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think it's funny that you're asking ENTPs because I think we are generally confident and are relaxed to a fault, lol. It's hard for us to actually get anything done but hey... we do nothing with style... :perc2:

What are you actually saying is the upshot of having these qualities? That we're admired? I find that to not necessarily be the case. I've been very wavering in my career. I've had all kinds of different jobs because I have such varied interests. I enjoy life but I haven't accomplished very much. This is fine with me. Accomplishment isn't a big motivator in my life. Joy is, and I find joy in being home with my kids, teaching them, getting them out into nature, being spontaneous, blah blah blah. Not climbing up some kind of career ladder. Don't get me wrong, I've done a LOT academically (BA and MA in political science and a teaching certification program for high school), I just haven't applied it.

Anyway, my relaxed nature isn't necessarily admirable to some people I know. It's looked down upon as lazy or unmotivated. But I'm just not motivated by the same things they are. And my confidence in myself despite my lack of conventional financial or career success is seen as blind arrogance sometimes I think. But I know myself and I'm still happy.

I think life is too short to be tense and insecure. I don't feel like I'm any better than anyone else, and I don't really think anyone else is any better than me. We're all people. So why feel inferior? Why not feel good about yourself and have a good time with life? Much more enjoyable than the alternative.

Did I actually answer your question somewhere in there? Lol, typical ENTP over here.

See, I was so attracted to my husband because he has a quiet confidence (INTJ), whereas mine is loud. He's smart and is very driven in his career, which I admire. He's the one in charge of the finances (because I absolutely could not get it together if it were up to me), does anything that requires planning, etc. But he likes me because I'm spontaneous and easy-going which helps him calm down because he gets uptight about things. We work well together.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
See, I was so attracted to my husband because he has a quiet confidence (INTJ), whereas mine is loud. He's smart and is very driven in his career, which I admire. He's the one in charge of the finances (because I absolutely could not get it together if it were up to me), does anything that requires planning, etc. But he likes me because I'm spontaneous and easy-going which helps him calm down because he gets uptight about things. We work well together.
Very similar to my husband and I's dynamic. I too can't balance a checkbook if my life depended on it (marking things off to the cent and trying to figure our discrepancies bores me to death-nothing makes my ISTJ husband happier then when everything balances) and we actually have a nest egg because he pays attention to it. You probably have it easier because INTJs tend to like to work in bubble and he just deals with it, my ISTJ like to discuss the finances in extreme detail and it takes all my being not to fall asleep or fidget like a 5 year old on a sugar high.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Very similar to my husband and I's dynamic. I too can't balance a checkbook if my life depended on it (marking things off to the cent and trying to figure our discrepancies bores me to death-nothing makes my ISTJ husband happier then when everything balances) and we actually have a nest egg because he pays attention to it. You probably have it easier because INTJs tend to like to work in bubble and he just deals with it, my ISTJ like to discuss the finances in extreme detail and it takes all my being not to fall asleep or fidget like a 5 year old on a sugar high.
lol

Yes, he just takes care of it and I occasionally say, "Hey thanks for taking care of the finances." He'll just say you're welcome and we'll agree that everything would go to $hit if I did it anyway.

Neither one of us have historically been the best at communicating our feelings, but over time I think we both realized the utility in doing so on a regular basis.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Think you got it backward there. The ability to relax stems from confidence, not the other way around. There are many times in my life when I feel confident but still can't relax, because I recognise the importance of a situation's outcome and/or have reason to fear a negative outcome.

Real confidence stems from acceptance. Accept who you are as a person, your limitations, etc. Accept the situation you're in and the precise amount of control (and lack of control) you have over everything. And then of course you have to be bold enough to face it all. When all of this occurs, you gain confidence, the ability to face a situation head-on. But sometimes situations still make you afraid or anxious even when you are confident. Because in being confident, you still have to recognise that you aren't in control.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@NomNom

I am interested to know, when do you feel the most relaxed? Is there anything you find makes you feel more confident, even just for a moment, when you are by yourself, for example when you are listening to music?
I love that you asked this question because I needed the answer.

I am most relaxed and feel confident when I have either :
exhausted my energy by having an extremely busy day , allowing myself to relax in the evening because I feel I deserve it (living on a day to day basis...chronic procrastinator problems ) .
Done a few hours of productive work, even if that includes for example analyzing the movements of animated characters in a cartoon in order to memorize it and enjoy the cartoon/ take in the colours etc - where the important part, confidence wise, is me taking what I've learned and implementing it into my work immediately that day or I will forget/loose the interest and confidence.

Somehow interest and confidence as strictly linked for me. Forcing my interest, however, ends up in disaster. So in other words, to get things done I am not interested in I have to let go of all care of criticism, being put down etc because I will end up doing it at the last moment, half assed, and will end up scolded for it a lot. And it will most likely kill a bit of my confidence because I expect myself to be good at everything and everything less than doing great in everything makes me feel less worthy. Yet, I am not arrogant enough to believe it is my duty to carry the world on my shoulders, I just expect it from myself most of the time. It's like experimenting with how much I can take before I break (already went to the hospital once, last year, because of the stress ). Guess 21 years was my limit :D -not proud-

Relaxation :
Meditation music. Hobbies that I consider productive.

Relaxation with people :
Next to people who can understand me without me having to explain myself. Especially emotionally, i feel relaxed next to ENFJ's and INFJ's for example, that don't need explanations and don't fear firmly stating their opinions once you ask for them. One sentence and a smile and we're already laughing. They also seem to be willing and happy to help me with my decisions and don't completely rely on me to figure everything out. I /can/ figure everything out for myself but I still need a source to turn to when I question everything all over again. And I hate having responsibility of other people's moods dumped on me, which neither ENFJ nor INFJ would ever do, I believe ? They seem so emotionally stable and secure. THey retreat when they need alone time and emerge back into the world when they feel ready. Open and at the same time know their limits...-sighs dreamily- <3

TL;DR
relaxation and confidence : Productive hobbies and shaman music, spending time with infj and enfj

·
Registered
17 Posts
@NomNom

If I'm not in a school environment, or in an environment when I'm given more control/freedom(and sometimes with responsibility) I feel way better and chilled out. Also, if I dance or play video games I feel better, but it sometimes works and doesn't work. While in school my self-esteem is seriously so bad, I'm always over-excited and my brain feels tired/overused and never satisfied with anything. I've become more introverted as a result of moving to this school. The school wears me out greatly, as I feel totally replenished in energy when I get home. My intuition on situations feels like total crap, and I can never communicate my ideas properly anymore. Ever. My general ability to communicate smoothly pretty much sucks as of now, in my opinion.

I looked up other MBTI types, and discovered I've been acting like an INTJ. I then took the cognitive test here, and was told that I'm an ESTP, ISTP, or INTP(in order of likelihood). Then according to the college board personality test,(which is really good) it appears I'm an ENTA(description in spoiler). Last year and the year before, I was typed as an ENFP. I've been consistently getting ENTP in every other test I take though, which may not be so accurate since I have to constantly tell myself not to think of what answers would apply to what MBTI description. I was also typed as 4 by the enneagram.

My point is, is this just a phase, or am I under a lot of stress that I'm not handling properly? If you need more information there's a whole story.

ENTAs are forceful, direct, driven, and adventurous. As an ENTA you place significant importance on your ability to solve complex, abstract challenges through analysis and mental effort. You value intellectual independence above all. You are willing to consider new information and differing points of view only when you think it strategically advantageous to do so.

You enjoy being around people who are as highly motivated as you are, but you also like to spend time with people who recognize and need your natural leadership ability. However, you may become frustrated when people do not display a minimal amount of competence in their areas of responsibility. You enjoy a good debate or intellectual discussion, and you are often able to come up with novel solutions for complex problems. Participating in group activities does energize you, but you may contribute the most by working autonomously.

You like to establish goals and then motivate people to work towards them with you. You believe that power is earned through superior leadership and competence. You like to work as part of a group with people you identify as experts in their respective fields. You always think of ways to improve things, people, processes, and outcomes. You pursue new ideas with great enthusiasm. However, you are easily bored once the idea is in place and the job becomes one of administration only or involves mundane tasks. You always have a new thought on the subject at hand and a willingness to tell others what it is. This sometimes manifests itself as a tendency to change your mind repeatedly, sometimes to a fault.

You are at your best when you are able to think out loud. You are a broadly curious, innovative, autonomous thinker and an energetic, enterprising, and voracious learner. You enjoy fitting broadly defined ideas into larger patterns and theories. You do not like to conform to society's norms but may emphasize the importance of doing so to others, especially as a means of realizing your own goals and ambitions.

Your Strengths Include...
  • A desire to reach beyond the stated goal.
  • Motivation to try to achieve the impossible.
  • Adaptability, versatility, and openness to ambiguity.
  • A tendency to take the initiative and instigate change.
  • Encouraging and rewarding risk-taking in others, thereby enabling them to better follow their vision.
  • Conquering problems by generating creative solutions.
  • Conceptual analysis.
  • Perceiving market trends and envisioning future designs and product enhancements.
  • Getting start-up projects going.
  • Debating all sides of an issue.

You Learn Best When Dealing With...
  • New and intellectually challenging topics.
  • Subjects that examine the future.
  • Discussion and activity.
  • Teachers who have mastered their subjects thoroughly.
  • Cutting-edge technology, theory, and application.

When Interacting Socially...
  • Speak with passion and commitment; display wit and wordplay in speech.
  • Reply with impromptu responses.
  • Prefer communicating in person.
  • Don't mind a lengthy explanation if it holds together logically.
  • Frequently debate the pros and cons of various options.
  • Talk about and are attracted to unusual insights and approaches.
  • Are persuaded by cool, logical analysis.
  • Persuade through compelling explanations.

You Are Best Motivated By...
  • The start-up phase of a project.
  • Change, flexibility, and risk.
  • The design and building of theoretical and conceptual models for projects.
  • Opportunities to use conceptual skills and creativity to overcome limitations.
  • Freedom from excessive routine and bureaucracy.
  • Freedom from being too closely controlled and managed.

To Maximize Your Potential...
  • Take time to hear what others are saying.
  • Stay with a new subject or activity until it is truly mastered.
  • Consider the importance of emotions and feelings.
  • Consider whether the direction you have taken on a task is the most appropriate one.
  • Remember that leaders can also be good followers.
  • Be more organized and neat.
  • Pay attention to small details.
  • Keep your mind focused on the task at hand.
  • Remember that rules and regulations are important.
  • Appreciate the efforts of others.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I'm not in a school environment, or in an environment when I'm given more control/freedom(and sometimes with responsibility) I feel way better and chilled out. Also, if I dance or play video games I feel better, but it sometimes works and doesn't work. While in school my self-esteem is seriously so bad, I'm always over-excited and my brain feels tired/overused and never satisfied with anything. I've become more introverted as a result of moving to this school. The school wears me out greatly, as I feel totally replenished in energy when I get home. My intuition on situations feels like total crap, and I can never communicate my ideas properly anymore. Ever. My general ability to communicate smoothly pretty much sucks as of now, in my opinion.

I looked up other MBTI types, and discovered I've been acting like an INTJ. I then took the cognitive test here, and was told that I'm an ESTP, ISTP, or INTP(in order of likelihood). Then according to the college board personality test,(which is really good) it appears I'm an ENTA(description in spoiler). Last year and the year before, I was typed as an ENFP. I've been consistently getting ENTP in every other test I take though, which may not be so accurate since I have to constantly tell myself not to think of what answers would apply to what MBTI description. I was also typed as 4 by the enneagram.

My point is, is this just a phase, or am I under a lot of stress that I'm not handling properly? If you need more information there's a whole story.
I would say you have been under a lot of internal stress, even just from moving schools.

What do you think?

I do not necessarily need to more, but I would like to hear more from your story.

When you felt more comfortable, would you have self-identified yourself as being ENTP?

The ENTA description, that sounds very intelligent :D

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

ENTAs are forceful, direct, driven, and adventurous. As an ENTA you place significant importance on your ability to solve complex, abstract challenges through analysis and mental effort. You value intellectual independence above all. You are willing to consider new information and differing points of view only when you think it strategically advantageous to do so.

You enjoy being around people who are as highly motivated as you are, but you also like to spend time with people who recognize and need your natural leadership ability. However, you may become frustrated when people do not display a minimal amount of competence in their areas of responsibility. You enjoy a good debate or intellectual discussion, and you are often able to come up with novel solutions for complex problems. Participating in group activities does energize you, but you may contribute the most by working autonomously.

You like to establish goals and then motivate people to work towards them with you. You believe that power is earned through superior leadership and competence. You like to work as part of a group with people you identify as experts in their respective fields. You always think of ways to improve things, people, processes, and outcomes. You pursue new ideas with great enthusiasm. However, you are easily bored once the idea is in place and the job becomes one of administration only or involves mundane tasks. You always have a new thought on the subject at hand and a willingness to tell others what it is. This sometimes manifests itself as a tendency to change your mind repeatedly, sometimes to a fault.

You are at your best when you are able to think out loud. You are a broadly curious, innovative, autonomous thinker and an energetic, enterprising, and voracious learner. You enjoy fitting broadly defined ideas into larger patterns and theories. You do not like to conform to society's norms but may emphasize the importance of doing so to others, especially as a means of realizing your own goals and ambitions.

Your Strengths Include...
  • A desire to reach beyond the stated goal.
  • Motivation to try to achieve the impossible.
  • Adaptability, versatility, and openness to ambiguity.
  • A tendency to take the initiative and instigate change.
  • Encouraging and rewarding risk-taking in others, thereby enabling them to better follow their vision.
  • Conquering problems by generating creative solutions.
  • Conceptual analysis.
  • Perceiving market trends and envisioning future designs and product enhancements.
  • Getting start-up projects going.
  • Debating all sides of an issue.

You Learn Best When Dealing With...
  • New and intellectually challenging topics.
  • Subjects that examine the future.
  • Discussion and activity.
  • Teachers who have mastered their subjects thoroughly.
  • Cutting-edge technology, theory, and application.

When Interacting Socially...
  • Speak with passion and commitment; display wit and wordplay in speech.
  • Reply with impromptu responses.
  • Prefer communicating in person.
  • Don't mind a lengthy explanation if it holds together logically.
  • Frequently debate the pros and cons of various options.
  • Talk about and are attracted to unusual insights and approaches.
  • Are persuaded by cool, logical analysis.
  • Persuade through compelling explanations.

You Are Best Motivated By...
  • The start-up phase of a project.
  • Change, flexibility, and risk.
  • The design and building of theoretical and conceptual models for projects.
  • Opportunities to use conceptual skills and creativity to overcome limitations.
  • Freedom from excessive routine and bureaucracy.
  • Freedom from being too closely controlled and managed.

To Maximize Your Potential...
  • Take time to hear what others are saying.
  • Stay with a new subject or activity until it is truly mastered.
  • Consider the importance of emotions and feelings.
  • Consider whether the direction you have taken on a task is the most appropriate one.
  • Remember that leaders can also be good followers.
  • Be more organized and neat.
  • Pay attention to small details.
  • Keep your mind focused on the task at hand.
  • Remember that rules and regulations are important.
  • Appreciate the efforts of others.

Keep in mind that MTBI tests are not extremely accurate when you are under 20 or not completely in a healthy place. My father use to administer Meyer-Briggs tests for his job. He said until you are out on your own where peers, teachers, and parents are not directly influencing you, your answers may be skewed to what is expected of you, rather than your deep down feeling. When he tested me when I was 18 (and still living at home), I tested as an ENFP but he said that he suspected the "F" was me reacting to what a female should be opposed to how I really processed things. He said, he was sure I was an ENTP but time would tell (the N and P were never in question, my Ne is wild). Since I was about 22, I have consistently gotten ENTP. One big thing that I see a difference when I was younger to now is that school is generally set up for SJs and although I failed miserably at conforming to school, my feeling of being different than what was expected affected how I processed things. Actually, getting out of my J parents (INTJ and ESFJ) house and SJ high school atmosphere made less of a Perceiver in my actions because the need to organize and be responsible came from my own abilities opposed to enforced ones (which I would often fight). I was able to figure out how it works for me opposed to someone telling me how to do it which often was different than how I would handle it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts