Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about what gives certain types their confidence. I read that ENTJs are the most naturally confident type with the strongest amount of personal power and presence naturally. I'm an ENFP and I have noticed that my confidence can be very unpredictable. Today I got so nervous and anxious just from sitting in class for the last 5 minutes that I needed to get up and leave. It felt like I practically had an anxiety attack. So, for any type with input on this. I'd be grateful to hear it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was curious about what gives certain types their confidence. I read that ENTJs are the most naturally confident type with the strongest amount of personal power and presence naturally. I'm an ENFP and I have noticed that my confidence can be very unpredictable. Today I got so nervous and anxious just from sitting in class for the last 5 minutes that I needed to get up and leave. It felt like I practically had an anxiety attack. So, for any type with input on this. I'd be grateful to hear it.
According to Keirsey, INTJs are the most confident type. And he argues along the following line - INTJs can determine quite accurately what they know and what they don't know, and what they can and can't do. They know well their limits and what they can do within them. They also have a strong conviction about what is true and what isn't. This self-knowledge, a product of Ni, is what gives them their confidence. It is the result of Ni's tendency to arrive at definite conclusions.

As for ENTJs, I guess it's roughly the same, but they'd have to answer that question themselves.

Since you are an ENFP, your dominant function is Ne - which is a function that comes up with many possibilities and doesn't like to settle on one particular conclusion. I don't see it contributing to a sense of high confidence. The things that Ne comes up with are very unpredictable - so that's probably why your confidence varies a lot also.

I hope this answered your question a little. :happy:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Actually yeah it did help a bit. So, Ne is what I'm dealing with. Now I just need to figure out how to combat that.
Maybe try to develop your Fi? Fi is all about having values and fostering them. Perhaps when you are more certain about the things you find important in life, you'll gain more confidence. The ideas your Ne comes up with may have a clearer purpose.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Depends, l've never struggled too much.

l don't really know how to put this, other than, l don't have a very high opinion of most people. So why would l feel like they were better than me? Most people are miserable inside and it exposes their weak spots.

lt's odd because based on factors related to my background, l should have thought people were better than me. l just notice the giveaways, most people don't like themselves, it's pretty hard for them to intimidate others.

ls this not very ENFP lol? l do idolize some people, just very few. l sometimes strongly relate to INTJ's confidence and can even become arrogant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends, l've never struggled too much.

l don't really know how to put this, other than, l don't have a very high opinion of most people. So why would l feel like they were better than me? Most people are miserable inside and it exposes their weak spots.

lt's odd because based on factors related to my background, l should have thought people were better than me. l just notice the giveaways, most people don't like themselves, it's pretty hard for them to intimidate others.

ls this not very ENFP lol? l do idolize some people, just very few. l sometimes strongly relate to INTJ's confidence and can even become arrogant.
That's quite different from me. I actually have a pretty high opinion of most people. Maybe I should change that? I don't know. I like the fact that I respect people, but maybe I should stop viewing their opinions as so important.

And OMG I just realized. In my other thread about super perceivers you said that you were internal. If so, then that explains this SO much.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
That's quite different from me. I actually have a pretty high opinion of most people. Maybe I should change that? I don't know. I like the fact that I respect people, but maybe I should stop viewing their opinions as so important.

And OMG I just realized. In my other thread about super perceivers you said that you were internal. If so, then that explains this SO much.
well, l have a pretty laidback attitude about experiences...so l'll talk to almost anyone and l don't like to get to the point where l would be outwardly arrogant.

l really don't analyze someone too harshly before deciding to socialize with them...but even when l do, l'm still analyzing them afterward.

Many people who l thought were totally secure turned out to be absolutely chaotic inside, and some who l thought of as really solid had no sense of self whatsoever. l was surprised, actually, and as critical as l can be with friends l thought l would have spotted it more easily.

l mean, yeah External-internal. lf l did measure by external methods, l can think of tons of people who are better than me. But l just seem to look into their core and then it's like..."You have a multi million dollar mansion but you're mentally 12 years old inside.'' Respect is lost, lol. l dunno.

Reactions: Percorso di Fuoco.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, l have a pretty laidback attitude about experiences...so l'll talk to almost anyone and l don't like to get to the point where l would be outwardly arrogant.

l really don't analyze someone too harshly before deciding to socialize with them...but even when l do, l'm still analyzing them afterward.

Many people who l thought were totally secure turned out to be absolutely chaotic inside, and some who l thought of as really solid had no sense of self whatsoever. l was surprised, actually, and as critical as l can be with friends l thought l would have spotted it more easily.

l mean, yeah External-internal. lf l did measure by external methods, l can think of tons of people who are better than me. But l just seem to look into their core and then it's like..."You have a multi million dollar mansion but you're mentally 12 years old inside.'' Respect is lost, lol. l dunno.
Wow. The fact that you said you don't value people very much, BUT you still talk to them is amazing. That's EXACTLY how I want to be. I want to be able to talk to everyone, but not care about what they say if they are negative.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Wow. The fact that you said you don't value people very much, BUT you still talk to them is amazing. That's EXACTLY how I want to be. I want to be able to talk to everyone, but not care about what they say if they are negative.
loool.

l dunno, l think l'm just kind of a dick. But, it's always interesting to get various viewpoints. l don't strongly dislike someone unless l have a reason to. l can't keep friends who will drive me up a wall, but l can be loosely associated with people l find less than satisfactory.

Maybe in some ways, ENFP is like an INTJ who is just taking a much more indirect route to being a dick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
loool.

l dunno, l think l'm just kind of a dick. But, it's always interesting to get various viewpoints. l don't strongly dislike someone unless l have a reason to. l can't keep friends who will drive me up a wall, but l can be loosely associated with people l find less than satisfactory.

Maybe in some ways, ENFP is like an INTJ who is just taking a much more indirect route to being a dick.
Could be. I feel like the alternative is to be some gushy pushover who everyone steps on.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Well, how about this. You are an ENFP, so develop Fi like the dude with the weird headless llama icon said. ENTJs are probably seen to have the most confidence because of two things:
1)It is shown, because they are external by nature.
2)They react less to people.

But, I think judgment functions in general will provide you with a sense of confidence, or at least centeredness. The problem comes when introverted and extraverted judgment battle within a person who prefers the former. You will care more about what people think, but grappling with the world to establish clear principles that ground you, that keep you safe when things are going wrong, might be important. I don't know. Try it. Figure out what makes you, you, and also enables you to deal with the world. Look at times of success, look at what you did, and develop a response to fall back on similar actions.

I can't open these fucking eyedrops

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, how about this. You are an ENFP, so develop Fi like the dude with the weird headless llama icon said. ENTJs are probably seen to have the most confidence because of two things:
1)It is shown, because they are external by nature.
2)They react less to people.

But, I think judgment functions in general will provide you with a sense of confidence, or at least centeredness. The problem comes when introverted and extraverted judgment battle within a person who prefers the former. You will care more about what people think, but grappling with the world to establish clear principles that ground you, that keep you safe when things are going wrong, might be important. I don't know. Try it. Figure out what makes you, you, and also enables you to deal with the world. Look at times of success, look at what you did, and develop a response to fall back on similar actions.

I can't open these fucking eyedrops
Cool. So, how do I develop my judging and feeling functions?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Cool. So, how do I develop my judging and feeling functions?
Your auxillary is Fi. Judging functions are thinking and feeling, and are characterized as being rational functions that grapple with their environment. Perception functions are sensing and intuiting, and are characterized as being irrational functions that interpret their environment.

So you've got Fi to balance your dominant irrational function. Learn what it does and then pay attention to your behavior to see when you're using it and use it more.

I'm not sure if that is what is going on, but you might just start there until you get a better understanding.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've noticed ENTJ and INTJ tend to be rather self interested, but with the inclination towards understanding how to move people.
This is the source of massive confidence!

·
mafia mod
13,316 Posts
@Percorso di Fuoco

I am going to approach this from another angle: A few questions

Is it one particular class in general or all classes? And does this happen all the time.

Has this occurred in the past, and if so under what circumstances?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
ENTJ's are focused on verifiable fact, the first priority in their function stack is Te. That's a pretty safe premise to operate from. I admire what I see as a bulldozer mentality, or a just do it clarity they have; but I can't really want to be Te dom because It would get old.

I would think ENFP's would benefit from examining if they have false guilt they put on themselves, and unrealistic expectations of others. It's okay to want what you want and set some boundaries before you find out that you pushed yourself too hard, or compromised more than you wanted to? Some people you want to save, you can't, because they need to figure out what works for them? Give yourself a break? That might not be OP issues, its just a guess.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Percorso di Fuoco

I am going to approach this from another angle: A few questions

Is it one particular class in general or all classes? And does this happen all the time.

Has this occurred in the past, and if so under what circumstances?
Oh boy, I've been figured out. :p But, in all seriousness it was one specific class. It doesn't happen often btw. (Or at least it is happening less and less. I have noticed that my confidence may swing from insanely high to ridiculously low depending on circumstances) Anyway, I asked a girl out a while ago, but turned her off by being needy (ironically b/c someone lowered my confidence when I told them about it) and had a lot of feelings for her and I guess I wasn't over her. While not my intention, and I know few will believe me, the end result was that she thought that I only wanted her for her body. I was quite nervous the next few times I saw her after that.

Additionally, my confidence did take dips in the past if someone took a shot at me. (usually a judger or personality that speaks with great conviction regardless of actual truth)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ENTJ's are focused on verifiable fact, the first priority in their function stack is Te. That's a pretty safe premise to operate from. I admire what I see as a bulldozer mentality, or a just do it clarity they have; but I can't really want to be Te dom because It would get old.

I would think ENFP's would benefit from examining if they have false guilt they put on themselves, and unrealistic expectations of others. It's okay to want what you want and set some boundaries before you find out that you pushed yourself too hard, or compromised more than you wanted to? Some people you want to save, you can't, because they need to figure out what works for them? Give yourself a break? That might not be OP issues, its just a guess.
I guess the above answers this. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts