Personality Cafe banner

Would I be closer to an INTP or INTJ function stack?

• INTP

• INTJ

• right in between

Results are only viewable after voting.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Interesting, thanks for the response. I find it interesting that I have clashes with the xSxJs I know. ISFP might work. I'll try to research and come to a conclusion.
I've seen them described as in the moment. I think I'm usually stuck in my head. Also, I'm not charming. But I suppose not every description has to be 100% accurate.
I'm also not very good at moving on from conflict. If others are conflicting, I try to make peace, but if I feel attacked I will try to confront them. I have "learned" to be less challenging though.
The weaknesses seem to be okay descriptions, but I'm not all that competitive unless I am skilled in the field.
I don't know if I really like spending time with my friends. I think I just don't have close enough friends. I've never been complimented on my ability to inspire or cooperate either.
I'm also not sure if I'm much of a doer. I've been criticized for that.
Additionally, I've seen descriptions that they are against abstract, theoretical information, as well as disliking arguments and conflict. I know I'll get attacked again for being "fake", but I don't think this is very accurate. Though I suppose I do tire from conflict that is actually not going anywhere.
The cognitive function descriptions are actually fine. So I will give credit to The Last for that.
I'm not all that friendly or light-hearted, though.
I have slight perfectionistic tendencies, but they're not as high as some of the people I know. Still, doesn't prove or disprove anything.
I'm not cheerful or enthusiastic unless it's something I am heavily interested in. Not warm either.
My values and motivations align, at least somewhat.
I feel like I am only caring and considerate when I feel like I need to compensate.
I have a heavy lack in physical skill, but it is enjoyable if it's not too competitive.
It works, I guess. Except not the actions over words thing. Or is it? I don't know.

Anyways, I didn't edit or revise anything, so:
  • apologies for spelling or grammar mistakes
  • I've try to reduce any fake tone

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I and funny you say you are repelled by traditionalism because I thought you had an open mind.
Traditional views are not inherently wrong or bad. I'm just not a fan of sticking to them or tradition in general, which is the traditionalism itself.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Own best judge. I think I'm an INxx. The most realistic possibilities are INFP and INTP.

Edit: Actually more accurate might be IxxP. Mostly NT, with SF where it works and when stressed. I think that about sums it up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Comments, Corrections, and Clarifications:

Yesterday I was thinking a little bit so I have this to contribute.

I am more sympathetic, not empathetic. See (1) for more details.
About open-mindedness, it all depends on how you define it. See (2) for more details.
There are a few things that might make the case for me to be an S type. See (3) for more details.
Finally, stress relief. See (4) for more information.

(1) To substitute for my lack of natural empathy, I have a very external view. For example, I see why someone might be feeling the way they are, what led them to feel this way, etc. But it's very rare that I actually step into their view of the world and have a look. When I feel what someone else is feeling, it's just a copy of what they might be feeling. Say, if someone is feeling sad, I feel sad for them, not with them. To have an accurate guess at what someone must be feeling, I rely on societal values and patterns based on both those and the individual. Also, as I interact more with someone, I notice their patterns in behaviour and triggers. It just gets mapped to a sort of generalized feel of the situation. It's kinda like deja vu, but instead of "wait, this feels familiar" it's "ah, here we go again". I think this is some sort of mediocre Fe, plus maybe introverted perception of some sort. So it's possible that Fe is my third or fourth function. As for the introverted perception, I am an introvert, meaning it can only be the dominant, relief, critic, or demon. Additionally, it's concerned more with others than myself, I think it could be the relief or the critic. Types that fall here are ISTP and ISFP (Ni/Si), INFP and INTP (Si/Ni).

(2) I am tolerant and accepting of views, as well as always wanting to hear the reasons for others' beliefs. However, I am critical and skeptical of new information, and take the time to make sure what I already believe is objectively right (if it's objective). I'm always ready to reconsider, so this can lead to me being indecisive. Usually, in discussion, I disagree when the person is objectively wrong or crosses my morals - which are mostly accepted universally (killing is bad, etc.) or if I'm comfortable and want to fuel discussion. I will agree when the person is objectively right or I just strongly agree, or if I can see both sides but am around less familiar people. Also, as for abstractness, I prefer to develop versatile models that can be applied to a wide range. However, I am good at spinning an example or analogy when I need to explain something in a way that is personal for someone else, so they can understand.

(3) I am quite observant. I have a natural ability to detect visual pattern without trying, but I can spot subtle things that are out of place or abnormal if I concentrate my energy. I space out a lot, but I am still able to slightly process what others are saying if it's not a crowded area. If I actually completely space out, I won't notice much except visual change, someone tapping on me, loud sounds, or someone calling to me rather loudly. So, fair enough if you want to say this makes me a sensing type. However, I tend not to notice things if I'm not on the lookout because it's boring or just uninteresting compared to what I'm currently pondering. I won't be so quick to let a bird outside the window distract me from my existential crisis.

(3.5) One thing to note is that I'm pretty good at replaying a tune in my head, or coming up with visualizations of a place I'm familiar with. These are, of course, synthesized and not actual memorizations and reproductions and of the senses. Is this anything Si related? Also, if you tell me to think of an apple, an image can pop into my head. I can either stick to the image or produce thousands more. None of these are actual, real images, though. Does that have any thing to do with it? Finally, I have an interest in hobbies of fixed pattern recognition (solving permutation puzzles) and general pattern recognition (strategy board game and the like).

(4) This is probably the most important part (as you'll see later). The way I handle stress, other than very rare emotional relief alone, is distraction. There are two main ones, I think - escape from reality and too much sensation. For example, if I'm feeling really sad or angry about something, reading a book will make me absorbed into its world, and I'll usually cope fine. As for too much sensation, it's things like listening to music, exercising, or more subtle things like having the light and fan on. These usually force me to pay more attention to it, as I very much enjoy some music and exercise (for this one, only if I'm in the mood). As for the light and fan, it just helps to have something different than the current surroundings, so if I ever need to escape from my mind as well, I can just tune in to listening to the fan. I don't know what functions this might relate to and where they fall, but if it changes thoughts on anything then feel free to comment respectfully.

Additionally, I am currently going through a depressive wave (if that makes any sense), so I guess I was wrong about question 1. I am depressed (not clinically). I also happened to score very high in depression on bigfive-test.

Okay, now for some other thoughts.

(5) A comment on Fi. Apparently, Fi is the most empathetic because they have a good sense of pain and being hurt. Unfortunately, there was a recent time when someone was crying and I was indifferent. I find it a bit easier to connect when I have gone through a very similar or basically exact same thing, but even then it is very hard to internalize someone else's feelings. From this, I think I overestimated my empathetic ability. The one downside of social distancing, even though it is technically my fault. I do have some empathetic ability though - I can relate to someone else's frustration, though to a lower level because it doesn't actually affect me, stuff like that. But if someone is angry for no reason, I can't really relate. Of course, there is a difficulty in defining "no reason". There is always a reason. It is just a reason that is not obvious to society (or me, but I find that others agree with my confusion). Additionally, if someone is close to me and very sad, I feel very comfortable objectively solving their problem. But if it's someone who isn't very close, I understand that the right approach is emotional comfort. I'm just probably not as good at it as I thought. It's more "oof, that must suck" and "well it'll be okay". I can't think of any examples where I was able to personally connect. What effect does this have on my Fi strength or preference?

(6) What I want most deeply is actually generalized to understanding. Normally it's all about understanding the universe and why it works. But going through one of these times it's more of understanding me and why I work. In any case, I just want to see and comprehend the "behind-the-scenes" part of it. I do want to build a strong sense of identity, though. Is this high Fi?

(7) I'm fairly confident that Te is a shadow function. It seems most likely that it is the opposing or critic function. Let me explain why. My INTJ friend likes to learn things when they know it can be applied. They're very based on making goals and achieving them - being successful with the knowledge. They'll usually only research things that have some sort of use to them. I, on the other hand, prefer to just take a lot of time trying to understand the knowledge. To me, the comprehension is of inherent value. Also, I hate memorizing things without understanding what they're made of and why they work. This leads me to go down a lot of Wikipedia chains and often space out just thinking about intriguing thoughts, or pause practicing a skill to take apart the methods. The INTJ rarely has time for that, but would probably enjoy it if they weren't on a tight schedule. Also, schedules. I think I'm an excellent planner. I'm just not very good at sticking to rigid plans. I prefer flexibility and even a bit of variety if it won't hurt.

(8) I am probably a perceiving type. Or at least I heavily am one compared to all the Js I'm often around. I don't think I'm an ISTJ. I pretty much know an ISTJ walking stereotype, and we are extremely different. I'm not saying ISTJ is out of the question, I'm just saying that it seems highly unlikely I am one.

I will keep updating this post when I think of new things.
If you have anything constructive to say, feedback is appreciated. Does this help any more with typing? It's probably more accurate than what I've previously said, considering I gave it some introspection and some sleep.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looking at test results, I usually agree 80-100% for introversion, 85-95% for intuition, 80-90% for thinking, and 60-80% perceiving.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,038 Posts
(5) A comment on Fi. Apparently, Fi is the most empathetic because they have a good sense of pain and being hurt. Unfortunately, there was a recent time when someone was crying and I was indifferent. I find it a bit easier to connect when I have gone through a very similar or basically exact same thing, but even then it is very hard to internalize someone else's feelings. From this, I think I overestimated my empathetic ability. The one downside of social distancing, even though it is technically my fault. I do have some empathetic ability though - I can relate to someone else's frustration, though to a lower level because it doesn't actually affect me, stuff like that. But if someone is angry for no reason, I can't really relate. Of course, there is a difficulty in defining "no reason". There is always a reason. It is just a reason that is not obvious to society (or me, but I find that others agree with my confusion). Additionally, if someone is close to me and very sad, I feel very comfortable objectively solving their problem. But if it's someone who isn't very close, I understand that the right approach is emotional comfort. I'm just probably not as good at it as I thought. It's more "oof, that must suck" and "well it'll be okay". I can't think of any examples where I was able to personally connect. What effect does this have on my Fi strength or preference?
I don't think you use Fi. Your description of other people's emotions is more quantitative instead of felt by yourself. I believe Fi comes with a sense of knowing that each person with have their own subjective feelings that we can relate with by placing ourselves in their shoes. I kind of see the same sort of thing regarding Ti and Te, where Ti users have this sort of unsolidarity-solidarity but regarding thoughts. The INFP forum is all about, "This is how I feel" "This is how I feel" "This is how I feel" "Oh hey we relate!" and it happens in a similar fashion over on the ISFP forum.

I also voted you as INTP rather un-scientifically.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don't think you use Fi. Your description of other people's emotions is more quantitative instead of felt by yourself. I believe Fi comes with a sense of knowing that each person with have their own subjective feelings that we can relate with by placing ourselves in their shoes. I kind of see the same sort of thing regarding Ti and Te, where Ti users have this sort of unsolidarity-solidarity but regarding thoughts. The INFP forum is all about, "This is how I feel" "This is how I feel" "This is how I feel" "Oh hey we relate!" and it happens in a similar fashion over on the ISFP forum.

I also voted you as INTP rather un-scientifically.
Interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I definitely understand what you mean by the unsolidarity-solidarity.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts