Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously, when I would carry out Enneagram tests, I'd usually get a tri-fix of 7w8 4w5(sometimes 4w3) 9w1 but the type description of 7w8 (specifically the 8 wing) never did really resonate with me and I found myself in a battle of opposites between Type 7 and type 4, relating to them both almost equally.

That was all soon forgotten about, however, in a very ENFP fashion with my mind searching for other intellectually stimulating pursuits to busy myself with. My understanding regarding my own Enneagram type was unfortunately not quenched and so I found myself, recently, returning to the land of online type quizzes, frantically completing test after test in a sudden need to reveal a little truth about my being, to capture and understand myself further.

Unfortunately (and unfortunately I'm using unfortunately a little too much) my skill for frantic-online-test-taking didn't become handy and I found myself lost in an even darker pit of confusion.

Firstly, it seems from both the tests and from my understanding of the types that I am both a type 4 and a type 7, relating strongly to both the polar opposite types (albeit scoring a bit highly on the 4 on more than one occasion and maybe relating to it just a tad bit more too)

Secondly, I keep on getting a 5 wing to accompany my 4 and although I relate to it extensively, I find myself disagreeing with parts of it and the description of 3 wing resonating a bit more with me at times. That being said, I usually score the least on 3 so it doesn't make much sense. One test told me that I had balanced 3 and 5 wings so I guess that makes a bit more sense. If that was the case, how would it effect me?

Alongside this, I'm a tad bit confused with interpreting my results. I don't relate strongly to the 479 "Gentle Spirit" description so maybe I'm doing the test wrong and not being entirely honest with myself? Maybe I want to be perceived as a 5 and it's just the most recent façade or persona of my 4w3? Or maybe i'm just a bit of everything and therefore find it harder to distinguish between the wings and the types. If it helps, I'm a very strong ENFP with my extroversion the least strong at 58 or so% (which is still fairly high so it puts everything in to perspective)

I've attached the following pictures in the hope that someone will take the time to look through some of my test results and make sense of them. Sorry if they are easy to read and i'm being complicated.

Thanks (((((((((((((:)

Text Font Line Parallel Number

Text Font Line Parallel Document

Text Document Paper Font Paper product

Text Font Line Document Screenshot

Text Font Line

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Hmm... a 4 or a 7. Interesting. Those two are so opposite in a lot of ways.

Well lets see, you're an extrovert so that means that you might be more likely to be 7-ish while not actually being 7. So being an extrovert actually, I think, means you're more likely to be a 4, since you're getting a high 4 score despite being an extrovert. (if you follow me).

I would highly suggest Beatrice Chestnut's descriptions of the 27 tritypes. (The 27 Paths to Self-Knowledge). I'm pretty sure you can google it or even find the descriptions on this website without having to get the book (although it is a fantastic book).
The Self-Pres Four, for example, is the anti-type Four, which means it doesnt seem like a Four, and might be why you're having trouble. A lot of other authors do not provide anything near these descriptions.

When you find your type, it should all click together like a puzzle. You can't be half one and half the other-- personality comes whole. But, you may have certain traits that dont make you an obvious example of any type. The best path to finding your type is practicing mindfulness. If you are aware enough of your mental processes, I can basically guarantee you'll find yourself in the enneagram. Keeping going down the rabbit hole... asking yourself...
what am I feeling?
why am I feeling this way?
what feeling underlies or motivates the original feeling?
why am I feeling THAT way?
what feeling underlies or motivates THAT feeling.... etc etc etc. As deep as you can go. Like digging a hole into your psyche alllllll the way down until you end up at basic survival anxiety, haha. (Thats up for debate of course but this isnt the time or place). Do that as many times a day as you can, in as many different situations. It really takes time-- its not going to happen immediately .Even if you always have been doing this, just keep doing it and go deeper and deeper.

Also, PS, examining the wings is worth a try-- if you overall relate to 3 and 5 more than 6 and 8, thats another good clue you're a 4. Although this is just technical and mindfulness is way more important! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... a 4 or a 7. Interesting. Those two are so opposite in a lot of ways.

Well lets see, you're an extrovert so that means that you might be more likely to be 7-ish while not actually being 7. So being an extrovert actually, I think, means you're more likely to be a 4, since you're getting a high 4 score despite being an extrovert. (if you follow me).

I would highly suggest Beatrice Chestnut's descriptions of the 27 tritypes. (The 27 Paths to Self-Knowledge). I'm pretty sure you can google it or even find the descriptions on this website without having to get the book (although it is a fantastic book).
The Self-Pres Four, for example, is the anti-type Four, which means it doesnt seem like a Four, and might be why you're having trouble. A lot of other authors do not provide anything near these descriptions.

When you find your type, it should all click together like a puzzle. You can't be half one and half the other-- personality comes whole. But, you may have certain traits that dont make you an obvious example of any type. The best path to finding your type is practicing mindfulness. If you are aware enough of your mental processes, I can basically guarantee you'll find yourself in the enneagram. Keeping going down the rabbit hole... asking yourself...
what am I feeling?
why am I feeling this way?
what feeling underlies or motivates the original feeling?
why am I feeling THAT way?
what feeling underlies or motivates THAT feeling.... etc etc etc. As deep as you can go. Like digging a hole into your psyche alllllll the way down until you end up at basic survival anxiety, haha. (Thats up for debate of course but this isnt the time or place). Do that as many times a day as you can, in as many different situations. It really takes time-- its not going to happen immediately .Even if you always have been doing this, just keep doing it and go deeper and deeper.

Also, PS, examining the wings is worth a try-- if you overall relate to 3 and 5 more than 6 and 8, thats another good clue you're a 4. Although this is just technical and mindfulness is way more important! :D
Thank you so much for the thoughtful and detailed reply, what you said makes a lot, a lot of sense and i'm now head-butting myself, wondering why I hadn't considered or thought of the 7 scoring high bec Extrovert (espesh ExxP)

In regards to the wings, I think 3 and 5 definitely resonate more with me over 8 and 6 so I guess that helps too.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'm definitely going to add it to my wish-list on amazon :) and also thank you for the tips on finding my tri type; i'll take your advice and i'll hopefully find it in order to further understand myself :)

Reactions: charlie.elliot

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
@StuffsGrooveyMan

Hey mate,

Tritype 749, could be -

Here's the description

Accepting and intuitive 7. This is the gentle, and magical, fairy-like 7. This 7 needs peace and harmony with depth, symbolism and meaning. This 7 is very allowing, but hyper-focused on being positive. This 7 is often mistaken for a 4, especially if a sexual subtype. The core fears are of emotional pain, sadness, disappointment, boredom, limitation, being incomplete, missing out, conflict, being loveless, complication, discord, being shut out, inharmonious, being inadequate, emotionally cut off, ordinary, commonplace, and being abandoned.
from page 51, https://www.scribd.com/doc/239698153/Tritype-Booklet-PDF

I hope this helps you somewhat!

My Tritype is self-identified as 146, subtype SX-SO :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.