Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So, almost every 'test' I've taken (and I know they can be unreliable) has typed me as INTJ, but sometimes I had trouble identifying with a lot of INTJ traits. The only other type that seemed remotely like me was ISTJ, but now that I'm reading up on that I'm having trouble with aspects of that type, too. It comes down to the differences between Ni and Si. One of the major things that made me doubt being an INTJ was that sometimes abstractions really annoy the hell out of me. I can't stand many philosophy classes, for example. I'm imaginative, but I feel like there's a point where you're so out there it's no longer useful. But as for ISTJ, it's an 'obey-the-rules' type, whereas I'm more willing to adapt as long as my ethical values aren't compromised. I would love some help settling this.

Here's a questionnaire in case it helps:

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I am neurotypical, so nothing there. I am female, age 21, and I've typically tended to act older than my age. I'm finishing a Master's Degree right now, and though the past year has led me to really fear the future, these past few weeks have been looking up as I have gotten a new car and new job for after school. The security in that eases me and now I can look forward to the future again (I feel like this is an Si thing but I could be wrong). Anyways, pretty optimistic right now.

2. Study these two images (sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet). Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I prefer the first one (a sunset) because it is colorful, soothing, and mysterious. I feel like I could look at it for a long time and still be intrigued.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I am driven, creative, and teachable. I love stories about people and seeing common threads in the way we interact with each other. I use this interest to connect with others and find out what they need. Then, I find ways to connect them to sources of information or resources that they would find useful. I am imaginative and like to daydream, but I also have a foot firmly placed in reality.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I would like to be a person that others look up to, not because they're intimidated by me but because they know I want to help them. I do not want to be the sort of person who is consumed by pride and whom nobody likes because I can't see past my own needs and problems.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

I think people do see me as a helper, though I'm not sure they always understand the ways I like to help or the reasons I do it. Also, I think people really see me as a "good girl" when I have some private convictions that tend to be less conservative than people might expect of me. I think they really see me as independent, which is true, and outside of the university I think a lot of people find me intimidating, which frustrates me.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

Faith, family, knowledge, passion, vivacity, wonder, peace, usefulness

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I am very adaptable. I do a lot of observation initially and blend into the background until I get my bearings, and then I fully engage with the new situation. This generally occurs whenever I go to a new school or get a new job; I'm quiet and observant at first, but I slowly bring out my more lighthearted or charming side as I get comfortable.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

The most stressed I've ever been was last winter, when I felt stupid at school (something that has never happened) and I lacked certainty about my future and started losing sight of why I was doing this whole grad school thing. Usually, when stressed, I start to think so far ahead into the future that I forget to pay attention to what's right in front of me. This results in clumsy accidents (like car accidents) or neglecting relationships.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

When I am really at ease, I tend to be a little goofy and am willing to try just about anything. I enjoy hugs with people I trust, get excited about my environment, and grin like a fool. when I'm really enjoying myself I'm more likely to want to take calculated risks, do something I've never done, or express my real thoughts or ideas that are usually filtered. I'm not a loose cannon, but my release some of my inhibitions.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I am an introvert (of this I'm sure), but I actually don't mind being around people. I think they're interesting. I like to learn about people and what makes them tick. Sometimes one-on-one interaction makes me nervous, but I can generally overcome that and enjoy the interaction. In a group, though at first I'll do more listening, I will be happy to contribute. I can actually talk a lot in group settings once I get warmed up, but I have to like what we're talking about.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I am definitely willing to question cultural norms when appropriate, but my Christian faith does guide a lot of that. However, I do not accept dogma and am willing to look at things through a different perspective. I think compassion is incredibly important. I am not too wrapped-up in tradition--I don't care for greetings cards or saying happy birthday to almost-strangers on Facebook, but I enjoy spending time with my family. I see myself as one who observes for the purpose of contributing at a later point. I love community service and getting involved with things that improve my community, though my role tends to be more sidelines that hands-on (for example, I'm a musician at many community service events and don't regularly engage with the people there, though I might if I had the right opportunity).

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

Respect has to be earned, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt until it is proven that this person does not deserve respect. People who take advantage of their privilege in power situations infuriates me. I see authority figures as flawed people, but this doesn't mean I won't respect them.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I tend to prefer order to chaos, but my environments don't always prove this. My room is a horrible mess at times, but I almost never lose anything. I know where everything is, even if there does not seem to be logic to the arrangement. I like to know about things in advance and being told things at the last minute frustrates me to no end. Have something going on tonight? You should have told me at least three days ago. Order is having a thumb on everything to being generally oriented on where you ought to be and what the goal is. Chaos is miscommunication, incompetency, and mixed messages.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

I am afraid of not knowing what's going to happen to me. I'm okay with not knowing specifics as long as there's some stability (i.e. I have a job, I have some sort of idea of where I'll be living, etc.). I tend to focus on what I don't know too much when this fear is haunting me and I feel lost, empty, and anxious. I'll start being irreponsible with the present because I can't see the future.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I desire financial comfort and some sort of position where I'll be an authority on something and have the respect of others. I don't need to have power over people, but I want to be admired (as conceited as that sounds). Ever since I was little I've been told how smart I am and how good I am, and I internalized much of that to put a great deal of pressure on myself, for better or worse. I did not feel like I was allowed to fail when I was a child, and this is still a big part of me.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Music tends to energize me, as does reading a really good book. I tend to be drained by parties with loud music or noises or not getting quiet time in between lots of social interaction. For example, I had a really busy week last semester and was really tired the following Monday, even though I had gotten plenty of sleep. I just hadn't had any quiet time or time to rest, and it had drained me.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

The MBTI was really popular with my Christian club in undergrad, and so initially I found out just so I had the answer to the question. Then I realized it's applicability as a writer and as a way of seeing how people tick, so I use it mostly for writing. After answering this questionnaire I think I really might be an INTJ, but I still think there's a possibility for ISTJ. Of the two I think I would rather be INTJ, though I don't like the stereotypes associated with it. My Enneagram is Type 4, followed by Type 5 and Type 3 (so I guess an unhealthy Type 4? I'm not too familiar with Enneagram).

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

Part of the reason I doubted INTJ was because I'm not interested in science at all and am a huge reader/English nerd. I've almost never read anywhere that INTJs are like this. So anyway, I just want that clarified. Thank you all so much for your help!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I'm having the same conflict myself! Damn Si/Ni D:
Anyway, upon reading your questionnaire I think you're an ISTJ and not an INTJ, I see far more Si than Ni. I could elaborate if you'd like! I relate to a lot of the stuff you wrote... I might be an ESFJ after all, hmm.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
- Describe the very first things that jump out to you in this picture.
The picture is very relaxing and calming. The lines are smooth, gives it a nice flow. It looks like there are waves on the rocks as well, how odd. Is it a drawn picture or a photograph? It is very realistic. I like the contrast beween the warm colors of the rocks and the cold colors of the water, dry vs. wet.
- Why do you think you focused on those things?
Uhm, that's a tough one! Maybe because I love art and I draw quite a lot, so I look at it from an artistic point of view and maybe slightly analytical.
- On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how strongly did this photo appeal to you and why/why not?
Maybe 7? I could stare at it for a while, it reminds me of the desert in my country which is nice looking but it gets boring after a while. I look views that are green and lively. The things that do appeal me are the water, because it's unique to see water in the desert.
-
I consider myself Ni/Se but I could be mistaken for Si/Ne :D
When I go back over this response to the image scenario... I really get the sense of Si / Ne. Your leading statement "This image IS very relaxing and calming." Given what I have learned myself over the last few days in determining the difference between Si and Se... this speaks very much to Si. You are giving a subjective interpretation of the image ie: what the image IS to you. Se would most likely say something along the lines of "This image IS a giant cavernous canyon". Se senses and describes the object actually is. Ne also comes out in the oddities you notice and the questions you ask. Connecting and relating the image to personal memory could also be Si / Ne.
@BethanyCassel would you do me a favor and try out Scenario 7 here? Try your best to put any personal bias as to what you may want to be true on Ne/Si vs Ni/Se and just describe what flows naturally into your mind.

http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...ive-scenario-questionnaire-2-0-self-type.html

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
When I go back over this response to the image scenario... I really get the sense of Si / Ne. Your leading statement "This image IS very relaxing and calming." Given what I have learned myself over the last few days in determining the difference between Si and Se... this speaks very much to Si. You are giving a subjective interpretation of the image ie: what the image IS to you. Se would most likely say something along the lines of "This image IS a giant cavernous canyon". Se senses and describes the object actually is. Ne also comes out in the oddities you notice and the questions you ask. Connecting and relating the image to personal memory could also be Si / Ne.

@BethanyCassel would you do me a favor and try out Scenario 7 here? Try your best to put any personal bias as to what you may want to be true on Ne/Si vs Ni/Se and just describe what flows naturally into your mind.

http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...ive-scenario-questionnaire-2-0-self-type.html
Thank you for still thinking about it! The more I think about it, the more Si makes sense again D: why is my life hard??? @BethanyCassel you should try Jinsei's scenarios, they're the bomb!

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Thank you for still thinking about it! The more I think about it, the more Si makes sense again D: why is my life hard??? @BethanyCassel you should try Jinsei's scenarios, they're the bomb!
Thanks so much for the compliment! They seem to be getting a lot of good feedback and that makes me very very happy and feel like I accomplished something. Really hope it gets stickied now! lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks both of you! I'll give the scenarios a shot:

Scenario 1: I would be pissed off at first, even briefly after finding out about the cancer. I would much prefer my partner be up front with me so we can work together on approaching the end. If the relationship really was as serious as considering marriage, I would care about what my partner was going through and want to be included in it. I would much rather know what is really going on than be left with no information. After I get over being mad, my comforting side would come out and I would be a lot more emotional with my partner and about the situation. The focus on my feelings would be over what I would subconsciously perceive as a lost investment. I also react really badly to abandonment, having had a few friends drop me out of nowhere. I'm much more comfortable if I know that the end is coming and can emotionally prepare for it.

Scenario 2: I would probably agree to help in some way, even if it is a bit obliquely--that is, I would suggest different ways of thinking about a question rather than providing any answers. In this way, I would feel like I'm still acting in the spirit of the professor's rule (which I would feel is nonsense anyway--learning is a team effort). I also tend to seek harmony in my living arrangements, and if I didn't help my roommate I would fear a disruption of that harmony. That would be a large part of how I made the decision. Also, I tend to have compassion for struggling students and desire to help them in any way I can, so even if I came to the decision not to personally help them, I would provide multiple avenues and resources where they could also turn instead. To lay out the flow of that decision: "Well . . . the professor said not to work together. That's dumb, but academic honesty is important. But on the other hand, her grade is at stake, and I don't want her unfairly blaming me for her failing. Plus, it's not like she does this all the time. Maybe there's a way I could help that would provide help without saying I worked with them? Let's try it. If that doesn't work, I know three other places where she can go that can probably help her better and still be honest."

Scenario 3: I definitely like project 2 the best, as I do prefer working alone when it comes to intense research or projects like this. While it would be nice if it had a bigger impact, maybe the smaller impact will have a ripple effect and make life better for everyone. I also like taking seemingly small motifs or details and researching them deeply, so this really appeals to me. In terms of aspects that guided my decision, I liked the first part of Project 1 (it was a little overwhelming but potentially a good challenge), bu when it discussed a lot of group work I was turned off. The large impact was nice but it's not worth the group work. I would prefer to work alone on a more detailed project of smaller focus and smaller acclaim that might improve things in the long term than a big bombastic group project.

Scenario 4: This is a group project I would be happy to be a part of. If I can be sure that everyone is going to contribute and it's a smaller group, then I feel more comfortable. During the brainstorming process I would do a lot of listening and jotting down quick notes about what people are saying. If I hear something particularly exciting to me, I would jump in and elaborate. I would also probably detect similar threads in everyone's ideas so that we would develop a project that everyone could feel invested in, even if the main idea is generated by just one member of the group. I would behave this way because, in a situation like this, I would feel like everyone has something valuable to contribute and I would try to pull that out and combine it to get the best project possible. I tend to be the more organizing member of the team in this way.

Scenario 5: That Saturday would be a day when I would watch Kitchen Nightmares or Say Yes to the Dress marathons while spending a lot of time on Tumblr. I find Tumblr engaging because it's filled with art as well as good conversations that can be more intellectual, but I can choose which I prefer to be looking at. I will probably spend all day in the same chair. I might work on personal writing projects or maybe play a bit of piano. I draw non-physical energy from reconnecting with myself and what I am interested in, rather than what I have to be interested in for work or school (sometimes there's overlap, but sometimes there's not). Before I was in grad school I used to relax by doing a lot of reading, but since I'm an English major I'm less likely to choose reading a book on my day off (though I anticipate this changing when I'm done with my M.A. I miss reading for fun).

Scenario 6: Teacher, Musician, Actor. One of the first questions to come into my mind was "Okay, so I don't have to worry about money, but what about job security?" I've always loved educating people and providing people with knowledge that improves their lives, and until recently I was determined to be a college professor. However, if I could make a living as a musician or actor, that'd be a lot of fun. I've always loved music and have been playing publicly for five years--I would love to spread a message through music. As for acting, I would enjoy it because it requires stepping into someone else's shoes and studying people, which is interesting to me (plus it's fun). It was not hard to pick 3 because those stood out to me right away; I've never considered careers in any of the other fields.

Scenario 7: The first thing my eyes were drawn to was the splash of the green trees, but my attention quickly turned to the contours of the cliff walls above them. I also noticed the contrast of the dark cliff walls on the right side of the picture. I think the trees drew my eyes because of the bright difference in them, but my eyes didn't linger on them too long because I noticed other, more interesting things. The contours in the cliff walls were cool because I could look at them a while and study them. After studying them, I would focus for a while on the dark cliff walls and would probably search for similar details that I saw in the bright cliff walls. And then I would just think for some time about the effect of the contrast in the image and think about if I have a different understanding of the picture because of it.

---

Thanks! I hope this is helpful. I'm learning a lot about myself too in this process! ;) And @Gray Romantic, I would love to hear you elaborate more on what you see as Si in my answers!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I am imaginative and like to daydream, but I also have a foot firmly placed in reality.- that's Si, not being a useless doormat.
Faith, family, knowledge, passion, vivacity, wonder, peace, usefulness- you know what wasn't there? intuition, creativity, that kind of stuff... Valuing family is a Si trait.
I do a lot of observation initially and blend into the background until I get my bearings, and then I fully engage with the new situation.- couldn't be more Si. New situation, unfamiliar- wait, what the fuck, let's stay back and see how everyone's doing things so I can learn how to behave properly. When it's familiar, you feel comfortable enough to act.
I lacked certainty about my future and started losing sight of why I was doing this whole grad school thing. Usually, when stressed, I start to think so far ahead into the future that I forget to pay attention to what's right in front of me.- Si is afraid of uncertainty, it needs things to be known. You lacked certainty about your future and that made you anxious- Si, perhaps even enneagram 6.
I am afraid of not knowing what's going to happen to me. I'm okay with not knowing specifics as long as there's some stability (i.e. I have a job, I have some sort of idea of where I'll be living, etc.).- if I wasn't sold on Si, that's it. That's Si.
I desire financial comfort and some sort of position where I'll be an authority on something and have the respect of others.- Si and Te.

I could go on but I think we got the point! :D

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
@BethanyCassel
Hello! Sorry to intrude, randomly. I passed by this thread due to boredom.

I'd like to note that just from your interpretation of the image Scenario 7, you are very much an Si user. When I did that, I was giving all these odd associations about how I believed the image was a representation of the eye of a storm and a demon amongst other various Ne things. You focused solely on the basic sensory input of the image, of the nice pleasant aspects of the scene, and just enjoying it. From this I can concur you are a sensory-oriented person, and from your responses it is obvious that you are an Si user (as opposed to Se.) Thus, it's safe to say that you are probably an ISTJ or at least an SJ. :)

(P.S, You are very lucky to not contain such an insane mind like me. I will never accomplish anything with my brain, I have the attention span of a squirrel.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Gray Romantic
@Telepathic Goose

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me! I really started to doubt the INTJ with the "evil scientist" stereotype, as well as the lack of interest in people. So ISTJ seemed valid, but I wasn't sure the "rulebook" aspect applied to me (though now I'm sure it does). Anyway, ISTJ it is! Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
@Gray Romantic
@Telepathic Goose

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me! I really started to doubt the INTJ with the "evil scientist" stereotype, as well as the lack of interest in people. So ISTJ seemed valid, but I wasn't sure the "rulebook" aspect applied to me (though now I'm sure it does). Anyway, ISTJ it is! Thanks a lot!
Stereotypes aren't always true :D Anyway, yay for clearing up your type!

·
Registered
377 Posts
You seem very Si to me, and most likely ISTJ.

As a side note, I disagree with your idea that ISTJ type is less scientifically oriented than the INTJ type. You couldn't be more wrong - science is a very STJ style philosophy. However, most of the "geniuses" in science have been NT types, so I can see where you'd get the idea. Many STJs mistype as Ns because of this misunderstanding.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
@Gray Romantic
@Telepathic Goose

I'm glad you looked past the Rules Are Our Overlord stereotype. ISTJs can be calculating and bend the rules too. It just doesn't make sense to most of the time. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.