Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I help people on here with depression now I'm kinda stuck with a problem of my own.

I still really want to achieve some greater with my life and have career doubts all the time.

I guess what I have difficulty is, still, is connecting my self to a path which connects to a career which is something i want to do. I am stuck with a research assistant type degree, and i want to do something else. I'm good at Law and got into law honours, I was wondering what i could do with that.

I want to be more than a policy officer at the same time. should i just try to do a science diploma and get into a good university and become a researcher there? or should i do the law diploma or full LLB program and become a lawyer but it will take 3-4 years and i will be like 27 years old when im qualified to work in law or whatever. Or i could go down the research path at 25, and work for two years and do really well in that (hopefully). Jesus, i just dont see the point in doing research for other people though, sounds like a way to waste 2 years of my life.

Law on the other hand. Or even Science/Physics. though that would be using my talents and the job may sound kinda interesting there. i'm still really confused. what would happen next if i did that stuff, would i still be unsatisfied with my career choices? and i guess i needed to make a new thread for myself

Media is also a preferable route which i have talents in photography for, that i could maintain a job in doing something at the TV network. Should I just work there? . I have the option of doing that but if i study law, i will not have the option of doing that on the side, but if i graduate at work overseas, i get to do the research job and the media job both. (this would mean sacrificing law study and further job opportunities, in my good field of expertise)

Which choice should i take?

·
Registered
24 Posts
ALERT: TAKE THIS ADVICE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

I still really want to achieve some greater with my life and have career doubts all the time.
"Achieving something greater in life" --> Make sure that you define that what do you mean by "something greater". Is it greater reputation? More money? A bigger challenge? A more satisfying interest?
And also, what are your priorities and financial condition also. Everything needs to be taken into consideration.
I guess what I have difficulty is, still, is connecting my self to a path which connects to a career which is something i want to do.
I get you. I also had this kind of thinking in the past, but for some reason it doesn't work. I don't know that reason and I am still struggling to figure things regarding this, but I think this way is wrong. Atleast it didn't suit me.
I am stuck with a research assistant type degree, and i want to do something else. I'm good at Law and got into law honours, I was wondering what i could do with that.
I don't know about the scope, requirements and emplyement rate of various careers in your country, so probably I can't give a suggestion on what can be done, but from my own experience, I can suggest one thing. Whatever you choose, whatever you do, keep in mind the "opportunity cost" of not doing/choosing the other options available. Opportunity cost = profit of other options. We get so indulged in seeing the benifit of the option we are choosing, that we forget about the opportunity cost we are paying in choosing that.
I myself struggle a lot regarding this career decision. I had a coding background, I loved it, that became like my life's main goal, exactly the way that you had described "Connecting myself to a path and then wanting to do something......"
But as I couldn't concentrate at all, and was involved in my own problems, so I lost it, I lost the opportunities, the easiest ones and landed into finance. Now I will have to put a lot of effort to succeed.
I am in a similar dilemma with different set of complications.

These articles by mark manson can help a lot to gain clarity of mind:-
(Atleast read the headings, if you don't want to read the whole article)

·
Registered
163 Posts
What would all of these options do for you personally? What do you think they would teach you, what values would they instil? Seems you're focused on what you could bring to each field, but what would each field bring to you? Maybe this would help tip the scales.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would all of these options do for you personally? What do you think they would teach you, what values would they instil?
Sorry it’s late I didn’t think anyone was going to reply . That’s a good question .

I guess what a career in law would teach me, is that policy is an important consideration. Science would teach me to think critically about research. Engineering would teach me to make new products and constructions. Media would teach me to be versatile with film equipment and editing videos and providing content in a convincing fashion.

I think judging from this I would like to do engineering and media. My direction has totally changed, actually.

Seems you're focused on what you could bring to each field, but what would each field bring to you? Maybe this would help tip the scales.
That’s a damn good question. I guess I need to pursue further study in engineering because I would really like to be a more innovative and practical person in business and development of products. More innovation is required for better business and I guess I discovered I would like to change my direction to something greater in this manner

Media can also help do this. It would make me more like a filmmaker someone who can move people emotionally and psychologically with the visual medium. That is something I would really like to do too.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ALERT: TAKE THIS ADVICE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

"Achieving something greater in life" --> Make sure that you define that what do you mean by "something greater". Is it greater reputation? More money? A bigger challenge? A more satisfying interest?
And also, what are your priorities and financial condition also. Everything needs to be taken into consideration.

I get you. I also had this kind of thinking in the past, but for some reason it doesn't work. I don't know that reason and I am still struggling to figure things regarding this, but I think this way is wrong. Atleast it didn't suit me.

I don't know about the scope, requirements and emplyement rate of various careers in your country, so probably I can't give a suggestion on what can be done, but from my own experience, I can suggest one thing. Whatever you choose, whatever you do, keep in mind the "opportunity cost" of not doing/choosing the other options available. Opportunity cost = profit of other options. We get so indulged in seeing the benifit of the option we are choosing, that we forget about the opportunity cost we are paying in choosing that.
I myself struggle a lot regarding this career decision. I had a coding background, I loved it, that became like my life's main goal, exactly the way that you had described "Connecting myself to a path and then wanting to do something......"
But as I couldn't concentrate at all, and was involved in my own problems, so I lost it, I lost the opportunities, the easiest ones and landed into finance. Now I will have to put a lot of effort to succeed.
I am in a similar dilemma with different set of complications.
As time has gone by I’ve seen my direction change more to the path of engineering. I guess what I wanted was to be something more in terms of my self identity and how I’m recognised by myself. For example, not just a researcher but someone who makes new things or discovers something new.

I realise I would have to do extra qualifications in engineering. I don’t see the utility of doing Law, or why that was so appealing at the time. I guess the opportunity cost of skipping it would be skipping something I’m good at that opens doors. However, I would much rather do my media work for now, and maybe later get into tech.

I want a more satisfying interest and was really interested in engineering books for some time and did extra reading for it, so it must be the right direction . I guess the answer came because I would much rather do what I would like to expereince in the present moment, and forget about the theoretical point of doing only what you are truly skilled at, and maybe building an identity and experience you would want instead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts