Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am said confused individual. I've had many troubles determining my type in the past. I used to always test as one thing back before I knew anything about personality types or functions. All I knew then was that the type sounded nothing like me. So I read about another type one letter off from the other, and that sounded more like me. I got to know the functions better and everything seemed peachy. Now I've been identifying as that type for a while, but I've been losing confidence. There are a lot of things that irk me about the descriptions of my supposed type- while the functions seem to fit me, the type descriptions fall flat in too many areas. Also, watching videos of other females supposedly of that type...well, I can't see anyone ever comparing us. (I have, however, been able to identify with males of the type.)

Anyway, that was a hopefully brief introduction to my problem. Now I'll answer those questions.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I probably have mild depression and some social anxiety disorders. Nothing official, just things I and the people close to me have observed. This stuff started around age 14 and got really bad last year (17/18). Now it's summer and I've evened out a bit, but that's just because I've been removed from the situations that cause me stress. (In short, school.)

1. Click on this link: Flickr!Explore Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

I'll do this one later it's not working :[

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

On the inside I'd probably just feel like "of course this would happen" Either that or "I can't believe this would happen." If it was my favorite band I'd probably be really excited to see them, and I probably would have paid for my ticket, so I'd start to feel really anxious that the car wouldn't start again and I'd lose money and a really great experience. I've developed a sort of way of coping, however, where I just shut off. I don't think I'd be useful to the situation at all, so I'd just stop thinking. Get out of the car, stretch my legs, let the people who know what to do take care of it. I'd probably try to take in the scenery and wonder if we would at least be able to make it to a bathroom or rest stop soon. I might also try and talk with anyone, try and ease whatever tension there might be by joking around, like, "Of course this would happen to us. There is no good in this world." I might even want to go explore the surroundings while we wait for help- anything to take my mind off the stressful situation.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Uhh, no, I think I'll just stay in the hotel or sleep in the car or whatever. I hate parties, that is parties full of loud strangers. I'd probably be exhausted from the concert anyway. And doubtful that there would be no drinking, even if the driver them self doesn't get drunk. The only thing that might make me want to go is if I could meet the band members or get free stuff.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Inwardly, I'd feel uncomfortable. I'd start thinking about all the reasons I think they're wrong and working out a good, solid argument in my head, most likely based on my own knowledge and all the flaws I can pick out in their own statement.

Whether I actually respond is another situation. If I was confident others would agree and see my side, I might point out what I think was wrong with what the person said. If I would probably be outnumbered, though, I'd get frustrated and just tune in to my own thoughts. Especially if it was more of an objective issue. I'm more confident when it comes to subjective issues- if they have said something that disregards the feelings and opinions of others, I'd be more willing to speak out.

I also rarely feel strongly about beliefs anyway. I tend to be open to both sides of an argument, even if I lean one way. If someone can make a good point, then I can understand where they're coming from and I might feel out of place telling them what to believe just because I see it the other way.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I'd probably ask some questions. "hmm, well that's interesting. I didn't know things worked like that. If that's a possibility, how can I work it in with my current beliefs? What does it mean for me? Can this actually be explained by my current beliefs and I just hadn't considered it, or can it add on to them? Is there something unrelated to my beliefs about this thing that has caused it to behave/happen in this way?"

I also might feel really dumb for never having considered the thing before and feel all self-doubting and DUMB because I'm an insecure dumb dumb. but then I'd eventually comfort myself with the idea that I'm still learning and it's better to have learned this instead of remaining ignorant.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

"There is no 'right' way to live your life." Is that even a value? Anyway, this comes from being raised as a church girl who never quite fit in and growing to resent the black and white nature of Christian teachings. Many super religious people seem to think their religion is like this magic key to solve any problem and that it's the only one and they have to share if with the world or else everyone will never find true happiness. I was fine with this as a dumb kid and even believed it, but I started to experience parts of the world outside of church and realize many of the things religion required just didn't work for other people- like not being a homosexual. Every person in this world is different in their own way, so they need to find their own way. I'll leave it at that.

Also, "Do no harm"
I guess doing harm would be the "Wrong way". Because there can be a definitive wrong way with no one right way, maybe?
I dunno. Just don't destroy your world or the people in it. I can't say I never do that. But I try to be conscious of when I do. I guess this just comes from being able to understand other people's feelings and the connections we all share, even with animals and plants and stuff. It's just not cool to trash nature or other people's feelings. u.u

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) I tend to put off a very childish, innocent vibe that stands out among a lot of groups. That might come from being only 5 feet tall and having a baby face, but people do tend to see me as naive, "unworldly" and cute. They like to joke about imagining me in the role of a muscular bad guy who beats people up just because it's so opposite from what I come off as. I don't they're too off the mark, but I'm not always a sweet little girl- at least at home, anyway.

b) I wish I could have more confidence in myself to be outgoing and friendly. I like to get to know people but I'm usually too shy to initiate anything. Especially when it's people I feel strongly drawn to; even if it's not in a romantic way, I just don't have the courage to talk to them. I'd also like to feel confident in my beliefs, enough to hold my own in an argument, but I'm so passive and submissive, I just avoid arguments all together,

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

Oh no, not the dreaded "gut feeling". I have a bad habit of becoming completely irrational when it comes to my anxieties. particularly my anxieties over how people feel or act towards me. I tend to hyper-analyze things and only pick out certain details that fit a certain hypothesis. It's like, just because something negative is a possibility I latch on to it as the only possibility and go on believing it. I can twist any new information to fit the unhappy conclusion. In short I can be paranoid and delusional and disregard logic when I get bad feelings about things. Usually i'm sort of right though, but just sort of. I had probably overlooked something that explains the situation in a less negative light.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) I love a good late night chat with my family and close friends. A campfire is optional but preferred. I love that kind of conversation where everyone is sort of on the same page, each reaching for different answers and explanations but helping each other along the way and letting the conversation turn wherever. I also do get energy from my time without others. I love to go outside on my own and just think of the trees and the dirt and all the creatures that could be crawling under my feet. Just appreciate the beauty and how it relates to my less beautiful world, and how maybe my less beautiful world is still beautiful in it's own struggling way. It helps to feel a part of something bigger and remove me from my trivial stress over trivial things.

b) School. SCHOOL. Loud people talking saying stupid things thoughtless conversation disrespecting others. SCHOOL. Pointless assignments that don't challenge me, writing periods too quick for me, descriptions that don't make sense. SCHOOL. Negative attitudes towards evrything including things I thought were alright making me think things aren't alright and thus spreading negative attitude to me. SCHOOOOOOOL. I'm sorry, that wasn't very articulate. So basically, any place full of negative attitudes, loud sounds, and boring tasks.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

My personal feelings. I don't like to express myself outwardly too much. "I love you" doesn't come naturally even If I love someone to death. It makes me feel vulnerable I guess. I can act friendly to anyone, but for some reason complimenting people or verbalizing positive feelings just feels...weird. I think I have a slight fear of intimacy.

Also, in certain environments, I'm afraid to share my deeper thoughts. I guess I think people will think the way I think is silly. That sentence had too many thinks.

I guess I just like to keep personal thoughts and feelings personal, unless I'm with someone trusted. Still, I don't like to display my mushy feelings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. :D

It's strange, Fi is one of the only functions I'm pretty sure I don't use though. Maybe I just have a weak understanding of it, but I really don't have the strong values I would imagine an Fi-dom having. My feelings and even my opinions to an extent rely a lot on my surroundings and the more practical side of whatever issue.

Here's an example: I was talking with my sister about why I would, if conditions were ideal, support the death penalty. She said she felt the government having the ability to violate someones freedom- to the point of ending their life - made her uncomfortable. I said people who are a threat to society should just be removed and stop sapping our resources (as long as they're proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt). I think she was considering what the issue means to the individual, and I was considering the overall harmony it would promote; which fits my understanding of Fe. Or maybe that's more Te? *Slams face in to desk*

Going back to my "do no harm" value mentioned in the questionnaire, I suppose I justify my support of a government's ability to end a life by saying "well, if that person made the decision to harm/ end another's life, then they've given up any protection by that value by going against it themselves." I think it's also easy for me to disconnect myself from the morality of the issue when looking at the practicality of it- if only the death penalty could ever actually be enacted in a practical manner.

I hope that wasn't too political or anything, I present my opinions merely as a means for typing ;P

·
Registered
506 Posts
Fi is more about living your life by a code and it appreciate being authentic unique and true to yourself. Fe is more concerned about fitting in and appealing to the masses sacrificing things in favour of overall group harmony. Obviously thats an extreme definetion of both but yea, which do you familiarize with more?

·
Banned
560 Posts
Leaning towards INFP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, other ENTP. :D

Well, I appreciate things that are unique but I'm not so sure I appreciate that or try to encourage that in myself. I think I do care more about fitting in than being true to myself. That might just be my social anxiety. I really just can't stand feeling like I've upset or troubled someone so I try be as nice as possible, even if I don't particularly care for the person.

I don't know if this means anything, but I also get annoyed by people who brag about being unique or special. We're all unique, so there's nothing unique about it. -_- So, if it comes down to choosing which description I like better, definitely Fe.

I've heard Fi explained as sort of always checking to see how one feels about things, if they think a thing is right or wrong, then making an internal judgement based on that. I think I did that more as a young teen, coincidentally when I was a strong christian and was always being told that was what I had to do in order to be a good person. I used to be strongly against lying because, well, the Bible said it was wrong. Now, however, I catch myself thinking, "If I just lied about this, no one would get hurt and the situation would turn out better." And I don't feel guilty about it. I guess my morals really only come in to play when it's a question of someone getting hurt or offended. I base my actions on my perception of the current situation- what the immediate implications will be, how others will be affected and how that will reflect on me - and less on asking myself a question of what's ultimately correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would say you are INXX for sure. I can see Fi in your posts but reading your other posts, it seems that you do not have an Fi model against which you judge reality like an Fi dom. The examples you have given in the other two posts sound more Te/Fi to me then Fe. An Fe user may act a similiar way but how you have described them seem Te objective logic in conjunction with some vague Fi values.

You could be INFP being Fi dom and inferior Te as others have said but I think there is a good chance that you are INTJ with Te secondary and Fi tertiary.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. :D

It's strange, Fi is one of the only functions I'm pretty sure I don't use though. Maybe I just have a weak understanding of it, but I really don't have the strong values I would imagine an Fi-dom having. My feelings and even my opinions to an extent rely a lot on my surroundings and the more practical side of whatever issue.

Here's an example: I was talking with my sister about why I would, if conditions were ideal, support the death penalty. She said she felt the government having the ability to violate someones freedom- to the point of ending their life - made her uncomfortable. I said people who are a threat to society should just be removed and stop sapping our resources (as long as they're proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt). I think she was considering what the issue means to the individual, and I was considering the overall harmony it would promote; which fits my understanding of Fe. Or maybe that's more Te? *Slams face in to desk*

Going back to my "do no harm" value mentioned in the questionnaire, I suppose I justify my support of a government's ability to end a life by saying "well, if that person made the decision to harm/ end another's life, then they've given up any protection by that value by going against it themselves." I think it's also easy for me to disconnect myself from the morality of the issue when looking at the practicality of it- if only the death penalty could ever actually be enacted in a practical manner.

I hope that wasn't too political or anything, I present my opinions merely as a means for typing ;P
So you're OK with the Government having the right to legally murder people? You also see no moral hypocrisy there, murdering murderers? You also haven't considered the possibility that many innocent people have been executed in the past, and many have been proven innocent after spending years on death row? You disagree with the maxim that it is better to let a thousand guilty men go free than to execute one innocent man? It doesn't bother you that there is no way to undo the death penalty once it is carried out? You think it doesn't even matter if a man reforms while imprisoned, he still deserves to be executed? You have complete, implicit trust in our legal system to be completely flawless, and are OK placing a man's life in the hands of 12 random citizens who weren't even smart enough to get out of jury duty? You also have not read any of the numerous statistics indicating that the death penalty is actually more expensive than life imprisonment, due to legal appeals in court, in addition to the years on death row and the actual cost of execution? You do not take into consideration the fact that the United States is one of only three developed countries in the world that still practices the death penalty, the other two being Japan and Singapore, the latter of which is a fascist state? You also ignore the numerous statistics proving that the death penalty does absolutely nothing to deter crime? Holy shit that's a lot of logic you have to ignore in order to satisfy your emotional desire to take an eye for an eye, which does absolutely nothing to undo the crime committed and generally leaves the victim's family feeling hollow and empty inside. There is no rational reason whatsoever to support the death penalty. Sounds a lot like completely irrational Fi to me. Fe would be able to feel empathy for even the criminal as a fellow human being.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've considered being INTJ and have tested with very high Te before, just below Fe, for whatever that means. Once it was to the point of getting ENTJ, but those tests are so flawed.
I have some trouble relating to Ni, though. I understand it to an extent, but I've seen more solid examples of Ne in the way I think and start coming up with solutions to problems out of nowhere, mostly when they're not even problems I'm facing. (At least, an INTP told me that's what Ne is like.)

Debaser, you seem a little frustrated. I hope I haven't offended you. I did worry speaking about an issue of that nature would create some animosity. You seem a bit more concerned with validating your own views than objectively giving your opinion on how mine relate to my type. You've made your point but it's sort of swallowed in your ranting and it overlooks and assumes a lot.
Allow me to clear up some things that I did leave pretty unclear.
First of all, I support the death penalty in theory. Not in actual real life with all of the details that come along with actuality: in theory. Note how I said, "If conditions were ideal" the fact of the matter is that conditions are not ideal, and there's a good chance they never will be. Also, "if only the death penalty could ever actually be enacted in a practical manner. "

I understand all the different issues that get entangled with it.

Yes, a prisoner could reform, but any prisoner I think would ideally get the death penalty would be imprisoned for life anyway. I guess that doesn't mean an individual can't live a good life in prison, but they wouldn't be self-sustained, and I suppose I believe there are other people who deserve the government's sustenance more. Perhaps some of my personal morals do tie in to that side of the issue.

Looking at the issue of if the person convicted was possibly innocent of the terrible crime I believe would merit the death penalty, this goes once again to ideal conditions. I don't see the death penalty as something that is just used willy-nilly on any supposed murderer or rapist. It would need to be a carefully written law that pays close attention to the circumstances, asking questions like, "Is the person likely to commit the crime again? Why did they kill who they killed? Have they received proper mental health care?"

As far as the expenses of the appeals and the actual execution, that's the reason I don't support it in actuality and understand fully how absurdly expensive the death penalty currently is and why I'm glad it was recently outlawed in my state.

I don't find it easy to feel sympathy for others unless I've personally been in contact with them, no. The world is far too big for me to feel sympathy for everyone and people die every day for countless of cruel or simply natural reasons. I suppose I choose not to use my sympathy on those who have been one of those "cruel reasons".

So, to summarize, I only support the death penalty in theory under ideal conditions. I feel personally that certain things overshadow the ideal that it's intrinsically wrong to end another's life. I can't help but feel it's an ideal you view as important, so I'm sorry if I've offended it. I certainly see where you're coming from. It just seems silly for you to call a stranger "illogical" for having a differing opinion on something, granted you were jumping to some conclusions based on my own vagueness. I can definitely see through to your actual point, though; my reasoning is based somewhat on my personal morals which could be a sign of Fi.

·
Banned
465 Posts
OK, that's a bit more understandable and I can respect that opinion more. I admittedly jumped to conclusions and assumed you were one of those people who is all about "eye for an eye" and ignores the statistics proving that the death penalty is costlier and an ineffective deterrent, not to mention didn't care about the possibility of putting an innocent man to death or that the death penalty is irreversible. I have no tolerance for people who won't listen to reason and ignore facts. But you also have to understand, the death penalty is one of the very few issues I feel extremely strong about. So naturally, you pushed a button in me. That being said, I can understand your perspective. I know that despite everything I've said, if I were to for instance witness somebody commit a horrendous crime, especially one against a child, and I had a chance to kill them right then and there I probably would. But it would be a purely emotional response based on the immediacy of the situation. I wouldn't feel the same years later or probably even minutes later, which is one of the biggest problems with the death penalty: It serves to satisfy a primal emotional urge, not any kind of real justice. There's just something fucked up about killing a man who has been detained and no longer poses a threat in cold blood, no matter how horrible that man is or was. (There are a small number of exceptions, most of whom were Nazis.) Your support of the death penalty seems to be based entirely around vengeance, which is a very Fi-driven concept, and I would be using Fi in the case I described despite the fact that it is not one of my primary functions. My reason would be clouded by anger and a desire for revenge. Some things are powerful enough to drive those extremely strong emotions out, and I can certainly understand it happening in some more than others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not so sure my personal view on it does come from a want of vengeance. Then, I'm seeing this as a difference between a justification of the action and the actual reason for an action. My justification could definitely be more Fi than anything, working on the view that if you think it's ok to violate someone else's freedom then you can't expect that same freedom yourself.

When it comes to the emotional side of the argument, my experiences are definitely one-sided. My history class had a debate on the issue a few years back, and two of my friends revealed their fathers had been murdered, and even though I've never had any personal reason to desire revenge on a criminal, seeing their reactions made me understand, to an extent, what it must feel like. (One even said they didn't care if the person was dead or alive, as long as they suffered knowing what they had done. It was intense.)

However, I'm not justifying the theoretical idea because I want people to "get theirs" in my ideal world. In the hypothetical world where the death penalty works, my wanting to support it come from a desire to save the government's resources and remove people who would be continuous threats. In the real world, however, I understand it just doesn't work like that and there are tons of other options. I'd like to see money go to actually reforming prisoners instead of just sustaining a miserable life of confinement. Also, I definitely don't believe in punishment just for punishment's sake (and I think jail is a very impractical punishment for a lot of crimes). I see it as necessary in some situations for showing people the consequences of their actions so they don't continue their destructive behavior, but the idea of, "You beat that dog so we'll beat you" is just continuing the destruction, fighting fire with fire.

In short, the way things work in the real world, the death penalty is a pretty bad idea because it doesn't do any good for society. However, if in some universe it does do good for society, I wouldn't find it hard for me to personally justify. And here's where I realize I probably shouldn't think and speak in hypotheticals so often.

So, sorry again for pushing some buttons. I think what you've said has actually helped me to consider the issue beyond the la-la-land of unreality my head can sometimes become. I just hope it's clear that my thoughts on the matter were making the mistake of not considering reality as much as I should have (considering this all started with a casual discussion with my sister that wasn't well thought out), not the mistake of overlooking glaring facts for the sake of justifying a want for vengeful justice. To be honest, I don't feel too strongly about the issue either way you look at it because it isn't one I've had to face, except maybe in that classroom a few years ago.

·
Banned
465 Posts
I see what you're saying now, and I actually agree with some of it. I certainly understand why the death penalty proponents feel the way they do, and I admit that I don't cry myself to sleep thinking about the fact that, say, the guy who shot up that movie theater last year might be executed. I just don't find the death penalty at all practical or sensible. I was admittedly a bit too harsh on you at first. Embarrassingly, I allowed my own somewhat emotional views on the issue to get the best of me. What you're saying makes sense, and it's good that you can separate what makes sense in your mind from what works in reality. A lot of people have that problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No hard feelings, I might have acted the same way if it had involved an issue I felt strongly about.

I suppose if I'm going to entertain such unrealistic ideas, I'd best keep the ones dealing with controversial issues to myself. It's pointless to think that way, but I just think it's fun for some reason. Probably because reality for me can sometimes feel like a giant anvil hovering over the world.

This has served the purpose of helping me discover more about my judging functions. Now the question for anyone out there is Ne or Ni? (because I don't think a Sensor would even have had that problem I just had, you know, thinking in improbabilities just because I could.) I'm curious to see if my answers had a clear tilt toward either one, or if it's too vague to say for sure. I have some examples to bring in if necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts