Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't figure out my type. For a long time I've thought I was 1w2 but 3 also fits me, as well as some other types. I get classified as a different type every test I do.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for? Creativity is probably a main drive, as well as ambition and a need for success. I look for success, especially in my writing. I also have a desire for justice - I am very involved with social justice and political issues.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life? Getting published, getting some level of fame, changing minds and making people think. Just generally making an imprint on the planet.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you? I want to avoid being close-minded and violent. I am very liberal in my values - equality is very important to me. I'm also very big on honesty and get very upset with lying.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why? If we're talking fears about myself and my personality, probably that I will do something violent or criminal, even though I know I never would. I also have a very large fear of "going off the deep end" and losing my grip on reality since I have anxiety issues. Being completely, totally alone (as in, no friends or anything) is also something that scares me. I'm pretty much afraid of everything, haha!

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself? I want others to see me as someone who is confident, talented, intelligent, fair, passionate and interesting. I alternate between seeing myself in a very positive light and a very negative light. I think for the most part, though, I think positively of myself. I see myself as most of the things I want other people to see me as, although also quite a stubborn, angry and anxious person.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst? I feel my best when I am doing something creative (particularly writing), and when having fun with friends. What makes me feel worst is my anxiety.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

Anger
I don't usually get truly angry, but when I do, it's like a huge monster welling up inside of me. I often feel the need to act out physically when angry, although I always try to keep it inside. I also can say extremely hurtful and terrible things when pushed over the edge, and oftentimes I shut down to keep myself from doing this, especially when online where I can easily think about my responses before I type them.

Shame
I don't usually feel shame, but when I do, I absolutely can't stand myself. I want to hide from everyone and never come out. I guess I feel things pretty extremely. I also feel a desire to turn back time and redo whatever made me ashamed, although obviously this isn't possible. Thankfully though, this is a rare occurrence.

Anxiety
I know anxiety way too well. I have it almost all the time, over the tiniest of things. My anxiety is like a constant static in the background of everything I do. When it gets too bad and I can't ignore it, though, it's like I entirely shut down. My throat closes up and I can't think or do anything else until it passes. It's a very powerful emotion, I think.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

Stress
I don't respond well to stress. A lot of times it makes me anxious, which I mentioned previously how I experience that. I often perform very poorly when under stress, and make myself more stressed out than I was in the first place. Unlike anxiety, however, I can usually push past stress and make myself do whatever it is I have to do.

Unexpected change
It depends on what kind of change it is. Generally I haven't reacted good to extreme change, even if it wasn't necessarily negative. For the most part I don't like change unless it's extremely good change, or something I already wanted.

Conflict
When I am in a conflict, I always stand my ground, but I also want to resolve it as soon as possible. It annoys the hell out of me when people leave conflict unresolved for days or even weeks, and I have to come to a conclusion even if it means fighting for hours about it. When other people are in a conflict that doesn't involve me, I generally pick a side mentally, although I might not let the people involved know unless I somehow directly become involved. Mostly I'm neutral to other people's conflicts, at least in feeling. I pick a side but I'm not upset by conflict, nor do I seek it out.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

Authority
I wouldn't say I'm a very rebellious person, but I wouldn't say I totally abide by authority, either. I listen to authority when it suits me, and when I respect and agree with what they are saying. So I guess I just listen to authority when it suits me. I consider myself a leader, not a follower, although I would never like to be in a position of great authority (such as leading a country or even being a boss in charge of important decisions). I do like when I'm the one making decisions in a social group, though, and if I'm not I'll be sure to make my opinion known.

Power
Power is something I desire. Power to change minds, to be someone that others listen to, to generally impact humanity for the better. When it concerns other people being in power, though, my opinion is pretty much the same as my opinion on authority. I am okay with it, when it suits my needs and thoughts.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
My outlook on both alternates between being very pessimistic and optimistic, depending on the day. My outlook on life is that it's generally good, although a lot of terrible things happen for no real discernible reason, and there are a lot of messed up people who make life hell for others. There are a lot of enjoyable things, though, and overall my experience with life has probably been more positive than negative.

My outlook on humanity isn't so great, though, and tends more towards pessimistic than optimistic. There are a lot of great people in this world, but there are probably more idiotic, judgmental and misguided people than there are great individuals. Mostly, I think a lot of people are jerks. Oddly enough, though, I'm an extrovert, and I really do enjoy getting to know people and being around people I enjoy. I just think most people aren't so great.

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
N/A

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I have a lot of trust issues. I expect most people to betray me or do wrongly, even if they are someone I otherwise respect and care for. It takes me a long time to trust someone, and even then I wouldn't say there is anyone that I would trust with my life. I've said before that the only person I can trust is myself, and I do believe that honestly. I try to be more trustworthy of people, but it's very hard for me.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
Creative
Opinionated
Open-minded (or at least I like to think I am)
Passionate
Ambitious

Dislike
Anxious
Angry
Stubborn
Bull-headed
Sometimes lazy when it comes to things I don't want to do

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
N/A

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
I generally just brush it off if a stranger insults me. They don't know me, so why should I care about what they think? Sometimes I get anxious over it, though, especially if they say something that's a weak spot or something I'm self-conscious about. It never impacts me as much as someone I know well saying the same thing, though.

If someone compliments me I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, regardless of who they are. With strangers it almost means more to me than friends, because with friends you sometimes worry they're just complimenting you because they feel they have to.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
Thankful I have
A great family and friends, creativity, a good work ethic when it comes to my writing, passion, ambition, drive, a roof over my head, food, water, pets. I think it should be pretty obvious why I am thankful for these things; they are good traits/things to have.

Wish you could have
Wish I could live in a bigger city so that I could have more access to things I want to do/enjoy, wish I had more friends closer to me in terms of proximity, wish I had less anxiety because it impacts my life so negatively, wish I wasn't so easily set off and angry about things.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
What is more important to you, success or writing itself? I mean, would you rather be a successful, but bad writer (think Stephenie Meyer) or brilliant, but unknown?

I think your head fix is 6w7, btw. It might be your core type, too. What do you think about it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is more important to you, success or writing itself? I mean, would you rather be a successful, but bad writer (think Stephenie Meyer) or brilliant, but unknown?

I think your head fix is 6w7, btw. It might be your core type, too. What do you think about it?
Hmm... somewhere in between, I think. I'd rather be brilliant and unknown, but at the same time I don't think I'd ever TRULY feel I was brilliant unless I had some recognition for it. I absolutely cringe at the thought of being horrible but still popular a la Stephenie Meyer, though, so I guess brilliant but unknown is the lesser of two evils.

I looked up 6, and I do see some similarities with myself, but I can't personally see it as my core type. Something just feels off to me. There are things that I found myself agreeing with, but some things that I'm entirely neutral on or that don't fit me.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Hmm... somewhere in between, I think. I'd rather be brilliant and unknown, but at the same time I don't think I'd ever TRULY feel I was brilliant unless I had some recognition for it. I absolutely cringe at the thought of being horrible but still popular a la Stephenie Meyer, though, so I guess brilliant but unknown is the lesser of two evils.
Interesting. I can totally relate, btw.

I looked up 6, and I do see some similarities with myself, but I can't personally see it as my core type. Something just feels off to me. There are things that I found myself agreeing with, but some things that I'm entirely neutral on or that don't fit me.
OK. What is it you don't agree with? I'm not saying you're a 6 for sure, but it's a possibility IMO.

Oh, and I agree that 1w2 is your gut fix, btw.

Well, when I tried to determine my type (I'm still trying, well), I found this to be quite useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think part of the reason I'm having trouble identifying with 6 is each description of it varies so widely - there's a lot of variables, which makes it hard to say definitively "yes, this is me". I guess I can identify with the fact that 6s seem to be so all over the place and can vary so widely, but I also see myself as quite an assertive person, and 6s (from most descriptions I've seen) seem to be generally more passive. I mean, I think it might definitely be my head fix, but I don't know if I can see it as my core type.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I think part of the reason I'm having trouble identifying with 6 is each description of it varies so widely - there's a lot of variables, which makes it hard to say definitively "yes, this is me". I guess I can identify with the fact that 6s seem to be so all over the place and can vary so widely, but I also see myself as quite an assertive person, and 6s (from most descriptions I've seen) seem to be generally more passive. I mean, I think it might definitely be my head fix, but I don't know if I can see it as my core type.
Oh, 6s aren't always passive, especially with 7 wing. What do you think: are you a head type (concerned with fear/anxiety), heart type (concerned with shame/image) or a gut type (concerned with anger/action)? And yes, 6 descriptions can be very varied - but it's your motivation that means, not superficial traits or stereotypes.

And what do you think about 4w3 as your heart fix? (I'm considering it for my heart fix, too, so I might be projecting). What do you think about 136 and 146 archetypes?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
6s (from most descriptions I've seen) seem to be generally more passive.
Oh, believe me - Sixes are not at all passive! They belong to the reactive triad. What makes it difficult to understand type Six is the fact that both X and its opposite can be true... And Sixes are the most difficult type to describe because they are so versatile. But the main issues are still there - trust, questioning, anxiety.

For example, it took me ages to realize I'm a Six. I didn't realize how anxious I was or how much I seek assurance outside myself and then question even that.

Forget all the stereotypes. Being a Six is being someone who has an active, curious, questioning and even nervous mind. It is definitely not being passive, there's very little passive about type Six ^_^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@aconite - of the tritypes you posted, the one I see myself most as is 1-4-6. I also identified somewhat with 6-3-1, although not quite as much. With the 1-4-6 I almost immediately had a reaction that it reminded me of myself. What do you all think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts