Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
IxFP-T
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly get INFP on MBTI tests. So far on Socionics test I get IEI / INFp. However, MBTI says my dom functions are FiNe, while Socionics says its NiFe. I'm confused. Are the definitions different? Am I just not understanding something? Or does this mean my MBTI type is INFJ and was mistyped before, or rather my sociotype is INFj (which uses FiNe in that system)? I am confused.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Opinions vary on how MBTI and Socionics types correlate. Personally, I think that there's no correlation, since the functions are different in the two systems (this source goes into more detail). However, there are those who believe in a j/p switch for introverts when "translating" types between the two systems. All of this being said, I don't know much about either typology system, so take my words with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I imagine there would be correlation based purely on the fact of, similar answers put people in similar mbti groups, same with socionics, ccrossover. But they're two separate systems and should be treated as such.

I havent took a deep dive into socionics yet, but, from what i can see its basically MBTI but with more expansion into functions and shadow functions. It can be somewhat applied to MBTI theory but, it's not what it was designed for, people just love shoving similar things together(What is this, a crossover personality test?)

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,095 Posts
Tests are bad and no wonder that you get different results. Socionics and MBTI results are interchangeable with some rules. Try to type yourself just from definitions of types and functions. That is way more legitimate than tests. It's also very possible that you are atypical and don't fit into 16 types, which is what majority of people are. Remember that only introversion and extroversion axis has been proven to be legitimate measurement of personality from these systems, everything else don't have statistically significant differences to prove their legitimacy.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I regularly get INFP on MBTI tests. So far on Socionics test I get IEI / INFp. However, MBTI says my dom functions are FiNe, while Socionics says its NiFe. I'm confused. Are the definitions different? Am I just not understanding something? Or does this mean my MBTI type is INFJ and was mistyped before, or rather my sociotype is INFj (which uses FiNe in that system)? I am confused.
As others have said, the systems are different. For one thing, Socionics doesn't call functions "functions", they're "information elements" or IMs. What they call functions are actually specific programs within Model A that information elements occupy. It's not quite the same as MBTI or Jung. In MBTI and Jung, functions are functions. There are no "information elements". This is the source of a lot of confusion, since most people are introduced to MBTI or Jung before they encounter Socionics, so they have the terminology already embedded, and they go "huh? what?" and most people just think Socionics is bullshit because it doesn't follow the same definitions that Jung and MBTI go with.

Jung was just the beginning. Ashura and others took his work and modified it, the same way Myers-Briggs did, to invent their own typology. Jungian functions are loosely related to the information elements, but they're not at all the same. For example, introverted intuition from a Jungian perspective is "fixation on inner images" and a general detachment from external reality due to the inferiority of extroverted sensation. That's okay and all, but it's not very clear. Jung's style of writing makes it hard to understand what he's talking about because he tries to write in a way that makes suggestions rather than definitions. In fact, he's self-aware enough to notice this about his own writing style, so he has to include an appendix in his own book where he redefines all the terms he appropriated, which only makes understanding him even more of a mess.

If you consider introverted intuition from a Socionics perspective, it is called "white intuition" and it is defined clearly as the perception of temporal processes. Now, some Jungian enthusiasts or MBTI scholars might take issue with this definition because it "isn't Jungian" or seems to ignore MBTI. They're right, it isn't, and it does. The people who developed socionics (and continue to do so) felt that defining it this way made more sense, and was easier to find evidence for in reality, thus making the entire model more scientific and verifiable, something MBTI and Jung lacks. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of exposure for Socionics in western civilizations, MBTI ran unopposed for decades and has taken over the pop psychology community. If Socionics had more researchers backing it (and it does, just not enough), it might flourish more and people would take it more seriously.

TL;DR, you have to study Socionics as if you are starting completely over from scratch and know nothing about personality typology. Don't try to compare it with MBTI or Jung when you're still learning about it. Set aside everything you have learned up until this point from studying Jung or studying MBTI and just start over. Then, after you finish learning about Socionics, THEN you can start drawing correlations and comparisons and contrasts, but not before, as so many impatient newcomers tend to do.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There were many threads about this already but here we go again: basically, MBTI (used to, not anymore) consider perceiver your first extraverted function. So even if your dominant function is Fi (a judging function) mbti will call you an INFP, not anymore because mbti only types you by letters and not functions. Socionics on the other (just as Jung) goes by the main function, so if your main function is Fi, socionics understands you are an INFj(EII).

Since mbti types you for letters and not functions, if you get INFP on mbti (and that does not mean you have Fi dominant) then you will usually type as INFp in socionics.

·
Boaz & Jachin
ESTJ; LSE-Te; 6w5; 631; Sp/Sx; DC; TN
14,734 Posts
Confused on MBTI vs Socionics
They're separate theories. Don't get too focused on them not matching since they have separate criteria.

·
Registered
IxFP-T
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since mbti types you for letters and not functions, if you get INFP on mbti (and that does not mean you have Fi dominant) then you will usually type as INFp in socionics.
that’s odd then, I’m neatly certain that I’m Fi dominant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts