Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time, I've thought of myself as infj. However, current therapist says differently. Took quiz over a few months, with varying results.

Unlikely to be different personality labels concurrently. However, could personality alter over decades? Any thoughts?

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,825 Posts
The tests are horribly unreliable. I think you should use them to narrow things down and then from there, learn which functions resonate best with you.

No your type doesn't change. It is your "default" position. Your cognitive functions are preferences, so you can learn to use others, but your core functions are still going to be the ones you prefer most.

Reactions: Muriel

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll give you an extreme example. I grew up and couldn't see my emotions what so ever. My career path was IT. Made it to the top, 6figs. After having a breakdown and a lot of catharsis all of a sudden I can pay attention to my emotions. I can see them.
I went from NT to NF. Now my career is in social work.

The thing you got to remember about psychological frameworks and Ti is it doesn't exist in the external world. It's all in your head. A bunch of justifications of why things are to avoid feeling lost, confused, and good for solving problems. But things just are (Te).

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,825 Posts
I'll give you an extreme example. I grew up and couldn't see my emotions what so ever. My career path was IT. Made it to the top, 6figs. After having a breakdown and a lot of catharsis all of a sudden I can pay attention to my emotions. I can see them.
I went from NT to NF. Now my career is in social work.

The thing you got to remember about psychological frameworks and Ti is it doesn't exist in the external world. It's all in your head. A bunch of justifications of why things are to avoid feeling lost, confused, and good for solving problems. But things just are (Te).
That's not how it works at all. Thinkers aren't always emotionless logicians. Feelers aren't always overly emotionally sensitive. There are plenty of emotional thinkers and logical feelers. You probably grew into a tertiary feeling function, like me.

What the T-F dichotomy is about is value judgements. Do you make them according to how you THINK about them, or do you make them according to how you FEEL about them?

For example: I am an ENTP, my first four functions are Ne-Ti-Fe-Si. We're known for being heavy on the first two well into our 20s. We don't start to really notice our tertiary Fe until our 30s.

Are thinkers less likely to pick up on emotions and feelers more likely? Sure. Still don't think this means a thinker becomes a feeler because they suddenly happen to add a tertiary function to the mix.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@tanstaafl28

"Thinkers aren't always emotionless logicians."
Thinker's are never emotionless logicians. They might think/believe they are due to suppressed emotions. I don't know what you mean by "That's not how it works at all." because that's exactly what happened. There's nothing to figure out.

"You probably grew into a tertiary feeling function, like me."
When I learned Fe / became aware of how other people felt, I became a top sales producer. (IT Programmer then IT Director > Sales Agent then Business Owner > becoming a Therapist) When I faced Fi, I changed my entire life. where Fi was the most important thing. I also mostly don't care about analysis anymore. I find it unnecessary at best and a trap at worse.

"What the T-F dichotomy is about is value judgements. Do you make them according to how you THINK about them, or do you make them according to how you FEEL about them?"

value judgment
an assessment of something as good or bad in terms of one's standards or priorities.

To answer your question I make them according to how I feel about them. Nearly every single thing I do is now based on my personal values (when previously I didn't have values, I was still figuring that out) and I really don't value thinking anymore (when previously It was all I ever did). Thoughts are just a distraction from what's most important in life (imo). Also I prefer a quiet mind. (and calm heart)

If I made a priority list it would be:
  1. Fi
  2. Te
  3. Fe
  4. Ti
If I made an old priority list it would be:
  1. Ti
  2. Fe
  3. ??? (unaware) (envious of those with Te)
  4. ??? (unaware) (disliked those with Fi)
"However simple and clear the fundamental principle of the two opposing attitudes may be, in actual reality they are complicated and hard to make out, because every individual is an exception to the rule. Hence one can never give a description of a type, no matter how complete, that would apply to more than one individual, despite the fact that in some ways it aptly characterizes thousands of others. Conformity is one side of a man, uniqueness is the other. Classification does not explain the individual psyche. Nevertheless, an understanding of psychological types opens the way to a better understanding of human psychology in general. "
- Carl Jung [895] page 485 out of 651 C.-G.-Jung-Collected-Works-Volume-6_-Psychological-Types.pdf

I am aware of the cognitive function order of all types. My own priorities and my own life experiences don't match type theory. It's not my own experiences or understanding that is wrong it is the theory. That doesn't make the theory any less useful, but does create a barrier for those seeking to find their true self. MBTI is a double edged sword.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts