Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if any of yall are having or had any difficulty determining your type? I was convinced that I was ISFP. I consider myself artsy as I love to paint draw and play guitar.Im a chef.I dont love it though I kind of feel like Im stuck in a rut. I took 3 test that said I was but I had a problem with the nice thing.While people mostly like me Im not the girl thats smiling and sweet all the time.
I think perhaps Im an ISTP as I love to figure things out problem solve, yet I love to read and go to art museums and have to have a challenge intellectually.I feel like i know what people are thinking mostly though usaually I dont agree with them.I dont like conflict but sometimes I am mean just for sake of being mean :)
So has anyone else had problems finding their type?~Kel~

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I love art, and museums, and reading as well. I don't seek out conflict either. Much of what you say I identify with. I think much of your confusion comes from the perpetuated stereotypes and misunderstanding concerning what it is to be ISTP.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
When first learning about the types, I was almost convinced my husband was an INTP just because he's very intellectually inclined and I was under the impression that ISTPs didn't care about intellectual persuits as much as he does. That of course, is BS.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
kept bouncing between intp and istp for a long time after i discovered the mbti system. When the dust settled down, i found im nothing like an intp. Never been a adventurous type, rather a computer geek.

·
Registered
305 Posts
kept bouncing between intp and istp for a long time after i discovered the mbti system. When the dust settled down, i found im nothing like an intp. Never been a adventurous type, rather a computer geek.
Are you saying that INTP is an adventurous type? Or that you're and ISTP but not adventurous? Or something totally different.

I correlate ISTP with being secretly adventurous, though of course that's a generalisation.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I too considered myself to be an ISFP for some time.

A number of years ago my first MBTI (and official paper test) came out with ISTP. But having had an upbringing that said "don't be afraid to show your feelings". I did so uncomfortably for a few years, and thus considered myself more of an F.

But I can now see that I naturally pull away from 'emotional' things, and feel far more comfortable in the Introverted Thinking realm. Fixing computers, playing games, cooking, fixing cars, enjoying the occasional risk taking session, all let me to the conclusion I'm now at.....I'm ISTP.

FYI to be 'creative' is the SP function. Therefore to cook, be artsy, etc etc, is still very much a passtime of us ISTP's :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
At first when I first read about it I quickly narrowed it down to I_T_ by reading the descriptions.
Now? I am still not sure. Mean just to be mean? Doesn't sound right to me.

The results seem to end up as ISTP or ISTJ. Look at my 5(?!) functions too. 3 ISTJ vs 2 ISTP but the strongest is ISTP. The only thing I can say with some certainty is IST_. I have also considered myself being unhealthy and really being a completely different type living with a mask put on. I got the impression few people repels me as much as they do to others and calling me stuff like "absurd" and the like. Could be a sign of me being unhealthy but the doc said I was in good mental health.

A question to others in here. When reading my posts what do you people see me as? ISTP, ISTJ, unhealthy "XXXX"?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
A question to others in here. When reading my posts what do you people see me as? ISTP, ISTJ, unhealthy "XXXX"?
Have you read into the functions? Se vs. Si, Ti vs. Te.

I'm borrowing this from the Myers Briggs forum thread Myers Briggs has screwed me over and I would appreciate some advice, and I thought this might be helpful to solve your type dilemma:

Let me save you some time, if you will.

I/E is pretty easy. Do you feel energized when you bring yourself to the world, or do you prefer to remained fixed and bring the world to yourself?

S/N. Do you think in details/specifics, or in theories? If you like details, do you rely upon what has worked in the past(si), or do you have a keen mind for specifics?(Se). If you see patterns and ideas behind detail, are you a passive observer pointing out constellations in the sky that everyone can see (Ne) or are your insights more personal and you generally feel that others should take heed of your intuitive insights? (Ni).

T/F. Do you think and make decisions with logic, facts, details and math, or do you weigh the emotional value of a situation to find the next best step? Sounds like you prefer the former. As a thinker, do you feel that your thoughts are uniquely yours (subjective logic) and that your logic sometimes doesn't get picked up all that well by others (Ti), or do you see logic as something as obvious as math written on a chalk board for everyone with half a mind to see (Te). If you're not an F, F still may be your shadow, so you'd need to understand what you try to avoid here. Do your feelings come from within and that they make you unique (Fi), or do you feel that your emotions bind you to the external world (Fe)?

Your P/J preference should be worked out from the above, but do you feel very strongly about the things you think and say as if the fact that they are your ideas makes them more meaningful to you, or do you just sortta sit back and notice things and then draw others' attention to them.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
@Madhatter, yes. But apparently not enough.
Reading a description now... I say I use Si more than Se... and Ti more than Te.
But I can't be TiSi/SiTi. The dominant and auxiliary can't both be introverted. Or so I thought.

Where's functianalyst when you need him?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
no, i dont connect at all with any of the intp people on their forums. I am however a non-adventorous istp, as in im quite content with staying indoors and doodleing with various computers / electronics / ideas yet i cant stand theoretical arguing at all. If it serves no practical purpose then it might aswell not exist. My hobbies are all non-adrenaline seeking ones, the only one would be ice/mountain biking but just one hobby doesnt make me adventorous.

Theres loads of tests and ways to determine your type. If i test, i land as an istp (70% S) everytime. If i follow "stereotypical traits" ive got more in common with an intp. Yet, almost everything posted and the way they talk is like hieroglyphs on intp forums.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
@Madhatter, yes. But apparently not enough.
Reading a description now... I say I use Si more than Se... and Ti more than Te.
But I can't be TiSi/SiTi. The dominant and auxiliary can't both be introverted. Or so I thought.

Where's functianalyst when you need him?
How about Fe? You could be an ISFJ who prefers your Tertiary Ti to auxiliary Fe. It's been known to happen. Functianalyst would be the first one to tell you that. We turn to the Tertiary because it shares the same orientation of energy that we prefer (Extraversion or Introversion). It's why many ISTPs come off as NTs, and why you are experiencing some confusion about your type.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Fe is weakest of all. Yes, it get place 8 of 8. This is one of those test results if you can believe in them.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************************** (29.3)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************************************** (41)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************** (17.6)
limited use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************** (14.4)
unused
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************************** (44)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************** (50.1)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********* (9.4)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.8)
good use

Time to get to work now...

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Interesting...I think just keep researching. It'll come to you. Have you read Lenore Thomson's book, Personality Type? It helped me a lot in understanding the cognitive functions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts