Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for ENFJs,

Do you find your intuition to be directed more towards people than towards general things and concepts?

When you're learning math/computers/science do you find yourself behaving more like sensors? focusing more on the details and getting lost in them?

I mean, for ENFJs, it's Ni "introverted intuition", although I'm not entirely sure what that means, but being an INFP, with Ne "extroverted intuition", I find that I use my intuition better when I'm studying general theories and concepts like science, computers, and even music theory. Where as when it comes to people (specially relationships), my intuition doesn't quite know how to work and I restore to using more "sensing" than "intuition".

·
Registered
75 Posts
When you're learning math/computers/science do you find yourself behaving more like sensors? focusing more on the details and getting lost in them? -- Yes!

·
Registered
53 Posts
When it comes to math, I most definitely tend to think like a sensor. When it comes to science or any of the liberal arts/humanities, I am always iNtuitive. Although, I know some ENFJ's that are very very sensing and I almost question their "N" everytime I see them attempt to solve any kind f problem. Yet, the test still places it there.. there must be something I'm not seeing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the only subject that I steered clear of in undergrad was Arts. I can't draw (period), although I was told by my former roommates and their relatives that I can do interior design/decoration. With the sciences, I have no problem understanding the big pictures and their filled-in details. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology and a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. So, apparently, I have studied the sciences heavily. I have no problem with math, physics, bio, chem, or any of the sciences. I am comfortable with technology. My weaknesses are arts and singing LOL I can't sing :( In undergrad, I had to take music in place of art/drawing to satisfy my Humanities requirements. I did well in my music class in terms of theory and aced the course with an A+, but I had the hardest time translating what I had learned into practice. After that required music course, music and I are perfect strangers of one another, although I do listen to music.

Like any ENFJs, I am comfortable with my people skills.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,074 Posts
Maths wasn't my forte at all. I was alot stronger with English and Art. I seem to remember being good at chemistry too.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I preferred the arts and humanities. I like science, not the detail but the bigger-picture perspective - quite a fan of psychology/human behaviour. Basically I'm most interested in topics/subjects based about people or are people-related, theories and concepts.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Cool! We should be friends and exchange nerdy programming jokes!
I'm in for the nerdy programming jokes! YES PLEASE! : )

I was always at the top of my class in math at school. Got straight A's and even wanted to be a Math teacher........ lol what was I thinking?

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
If it's science organized around a hypothesis, I am great at it. My job used to involve conferring with science and social science experts, gathering their evidence, and presenting it in an organized fashion to lead others to a conclusion. Mixed in with that evidence would also be anecdotes regarding individuals' relationships and emotions and financial data. All of this stuff would fill several big file boxes. I had memorized all the relevant details in those boxes. And I had organized them, and I presented it all to others to tell a logical yet moving story and lead them to a conclusion.

I now teach others a portion of this process.

With that said, I did not make it past trig in math. I got very frustrated with math at that point because no one would explain to me why we were doing it or how it applied to anything. If I had a context to root it in, I may have been more interested. So if I knew that such and so calculation could be used to build a bridge, then I think I could have dug it. But the collection of amorphous data meant nothing to me. Hmm--- from a pedagogical standpoint, applied math could be a great way to teach.

Actually, I am also seeing as I write how I need to explain more purpose to my students. That will help some of them.

Regarding people, I have intuition when I don't need something from them. So I can help others with their people interactions and can help teach someone something.

But when I need something from someone, my intuition is wonky. Because of my abuse history, I tend to read in criticism and disapproval from those who I need something from. I am unlearning that though. Conversely, I also tend to project goodness onto others and jump to conclusions about them too soon. If someone displays some niceness, I tend to expect them to behave in a certain way and get shocked when they don't. If I am crazy about a guy, my intuition will go haywire. Generally, my intuition has been bad regarding who to partner with. But I have been told that I was reading certain things right and just jumped too soon without knowing everything. That's why I have had to learn to really get to know a man and really see all of who he is before bonding with him or letting myself fall for him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hmm, i had never looked at it this way.
i couldn't say that i feel that i start behaving like a sensor, but there are contexts in which i will give great attention to details. however, i am always aware of the "big picture" and only value details as either illustrating/proving the patterns or just as completely detached "curiosities" - something to remember for its own sake, because it seems interesting or appeals personally to me to a great level. i guess this could partially be the reason why i always hated history - it just didn't seem important to know the dates or names, as long as i knew the general causes and effects.
but i think it works pretty much the same with people, i see patterns, i see connections that others don't see (e.g. can see mutual attraction between others even before they strike it up themselves), see potential behavioural tendencies. though i often find it difficult to put myself in there, sometimes misinterpret others' feelings towards myself (-the more i want somebody to like me, the more i'll see that they DON'T like me)

so i guess Ni works the best when there's no emotional pressure, and i'm not sure if i ever "sensor" much
except when it's something valuable for the Ni or Fe
like, i was really good at maths, but found it boring apart from some theorems in particular, and those i could study and use to the minute detail

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey thanks for all the responses everyone.

Looks like I was kinda confused myself, no biggies :)

i was really good at maths, but found it boring apart from some theorems in particular, and those i could study and use to the minute detail
I used to be good at math and used to love it, but then it got boring. I think it was when I moved to Canada during high school, everything started to get boring; it became just an endless stream of meaningless disconnected formulas that you just have to memorize. I hated it. I really really hated it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts