Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been confused about my type for a long time now, and it's something I really want to have settled. I made a post on INTJf a while ago, but the results weren't particularly conclusive. It can be found here: h ttp://intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=72429 (ignore some of the stuff I posted there where I say things along the lines of "I am not this type!" I was being silly then).

To reiterate (and hopefully do a better job than I did before) my OP in that thread:

I'm pretty much completely positive that I am an introvert. I enjoy spending time alone, and I feel much more energized after I've spent time alone. It's how I relax, social activity exhausts me.

N vs S also hasn't been very hard for me. No one in the post I linked doubted that I was an N, and I believe I fit the description well.

As to whether or not I'm a thinker or a feeler, well this is probably the area I'm least certain about. I'm a fan of logical subjects (I spend lots of my spare time programming /learning and writing math and algorithms). I've always thought I've been pretty aware of what other people are thinking and feeling (of course I can't actually know this for certain, but I've found it's something that I have some insight into). I'm always trying to see things from what other people are feeling, and I hate it when I can't figure someone out. I don't think I'm very blunt, somewhere where I go against the T "symptom." If someone asks me "Does this make me look fat?" there's no way in hell I'm going to say yes. Please feel free to ask me some more questions to try to figure me out here (and also, if you can, skim the thread I linked above from INTJf).

P vs J is an interesting one for me. I've always thought I was a J (I like things organized, I show up to places early, hate being late, generally dislike last-minute decisions, but I can also be a hell of a procrastinator and then chunk out 10 pages of a paper in a few hours of solid work). The part that confuses me is, even though I think of myself as a J, when I read the descriptions of the INTP and the INTJ, I feel like I fit much better into the INTP description. I don't particularly enjoy telling people what to do and I often don't want to have to be a leader, but I hate being told what to do (if someone doesn't ask politely and make me want to do it, I'm probably going to tell them to screw off). I also try to keep the peace, I usually don't enjoy fighting (unless it's with someone I truly detest), as you can probably tell from my T/F part noted above.

I also do believe I could be an INFJ, if I am in fact a feeler.

One more note, on the matter of INTP vs INTJ, is that I usually enjoy theoretical (I spend as much time reading about the theory of programming as I do actually programming) books, and I definitely don't fit the INTJ "learn as much as you need to apply something." I don't believe you can apply something well unless you are a master at it, so I hate only half knowing things. All of this makes me lean towards INTP, but going purely on the basis of dichotomy I feel like I fit being a judger much better than being a perceiver.

Thank you,
ascii

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your wanting to master things completely and understand (people) completely seems to suggest an Ni preference rather than thinking/feeling. But I doesnt sound like you have Te because you like to understand things before taking action. You seem to have an Fe/Ti prefermce which is probably why you identitfy with INTP however with you likely having Ni I would say INFJ preferences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see a conclusive answer out of that :/

Anyhow, I didn't realize there was a form to fill out, so here it is:
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I explain it in my above post. I never felt fully confident that I was what I had test as (an INTJ) because... well they kind of came off as douchebags in the description and I don't fit their description in some places.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I love knowing things, and intelligence. I value creative problem solving skills and a well rounded education above all things when judging a person, and it's what I strive for myself.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I usually feel at my finest when I feel like I've intellectually accomplished something. I usually get ecstatic when I solve a good math problem, write a nifty algorithm or finish a computer program.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
People calling me stupid (though I've gotten to the point where, for the most part, I just ignore them), thinking I'm inadequate or incapable of performing a task.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I usually think about people as they relate to pro-cons. I don't want to cause conflicts (though, if I'm trying to make someone angry, I will probably try to piss them off, and usually succeed), and I try to get an outcome that maintains the status quo.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I'm happy to let other people lead, but if there a crappy leader and the project isn't going to get done, I try to make people get their part done while doing as little "being the leader" as I can.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
My first Quizbowl tournament, when me and the team traveled on a bus to a tournament. It was the first time I realized I have found my "niche" for High School, and found people I enjoyed talking too.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Usually I'll read up on the topic for a while, and once I feel like I've thoroughly read about it (and memorized as much as I need, though I usually just use whatever I read as a reference) I start to toy around and eventually fully utilize the skill to be productive.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Reasonably. I'm usually psychologically at peace, and my desk/room can get messy but are usually clean enough for me to function in. I always have mental checklists of things to do and when I'm going to do them.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Definitely look for the principles behind it that make sense. I'm usually not a fan of having to provide a surplus of evidence, but rather explain principles in a way that makes sense. I find this much more convincing.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Usually the latter. I have a somewhat strict "don't get in other peoples business" policy. I don't like people interfering with me, so I try not to interfere with them. I can get along fine with the knowledge that someone else is not, as long as I know I'm being myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I like one-on-one to small group (3-4 max) discussions. I usually form a general idea in my head, and try to work out the wording as I talk. I'm unfortunately, pretty bad at this, and frequently just babble like an idiot. I'm not great at speaking in front of people when I have to figure out the wording on the spot.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I'm pretty cautious, so I usually try to have some sense of what I'm getting myself into before I do something. I believe words are the best actions, and a good speech speaks louder than something like violence.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on how I'm feeling. I don't want to piss them off/dissapoint, so I might say yes, but I'd definitely prefer to stay home. It really depends on the mood I was in.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Usually shut myself in my room and work until my stress is gone (I've accomplished everything I needed too). I might take breaks, but they'll basically be checking my e-mail and surfing a few web pages.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Ignorance, not thinking things through and general rudeness. I try to be polite when I speak, and expect the same respect back.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I love talking about computers, technology and programming.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
I should probably spend more time at the gym and physically exercising than I do :/

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
Usually my friends see me as a "funny one." I crack a lot of jokes around people, and generally keep the laughter going. I don't think people realize how much of a massive geek I am when it comes to computers, and how much I probably dislike them (I dislike close to 90% of people I meet :/)

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Sleep, code and eat junk food!

Sorry if this thread is now a lot of reading :p

Thanks,
ascii

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hm after reading that I'd say you more likely do have a T preference. Even though you don't feel you are a P, P does not necessarily mean unfocused or even disorganized. INTPs have incredibly organized thoughts. Your concern with coming off rude seems to be an Fe preference and I still believe you have that and Ti so I would say INTP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, and thank you. INTP was the final result I was typed with at INTJf, but I somewhat doubted it then. The description seems to fit me pretty well, but I still can't really see myself as a perceiver (maybe I'm just misunderstanding the P/J differences, however).

I'd also love any second opinions on my type if someone else would be willing to offer it.

Thanks,
ascii

1 - 6 of 6 Posts