Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's become aparent that a few istp's here can't understand why other types hang out in their forum.

i'd like to try to explain my reasoning for being here.

i have an istp boyfriend and so i want to try to understand him better. he confuses the life out of me sometimes because we are so different.

i have made the mistake in the past of going to enfj and esfj friends for advice on what to do about him and i have to say they only served to keep me more entrenched in my side of the argument. one example is that my istp will ring me up at 2 or 3 in the morning after he's had a few drinks asking if he can call into me. i was a little confused by this before and felt like i was being treated like a booty call. i can remember discussing this with my enfj friend and she of course said " i wouldn't stand for that at all, he can't treat you like that, it's not on" and i came away from her feeling really angry at him for treating me that way. i spoke to him about it though and he explained that it was just that when he has a few drinks in him he gets a bit more emotional and so he wants to see me. that is just one straightforward example of how different types do different things for different reasons. needless to say i take any advice from an enfj with a pinch of salt these days. it isn't helpful to be entrenched in my own side of the argument for too long. i want to learn and grow as a person and when i let my own ego be quiet for a while and listen to the opposite view i have found i learn alot more. yes it would be easy for me to go to my enfj friend and have her tell me i am right and he is just an asshole and feel all vindicated and fool myself into thinking i am perfect but that would make me an asshole if i did that so i come here to make sure that when i do get into an argument with him i am doing so because i am actually right and not because it feels good to be right.

i hope this clears up any confusion anyone might have as to why an enfp would hang out in the istp forum. i have no intention of stirring up trouble or offending anyone but if i am attacked by any member i will not roll over and take it.

oh and i also think istp's are awesome! especially istp women. ye rock

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Those ISTPs are atypical. You could make a thread here talking about what you had for dinner last night and I wouldn't care.

Thanks for the compliment.

Reactions: teabiscits

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Why is it you have more posts and replies here in ISTP land than virtually any of the regular ISTPs who participate here at the ISTP forum?

Maybe you should just start calling yourself an ISTP, that way you'd have an "apparent" excuse for coming here all the time.

I have an idea. Since so many of you ENFPs come over here to the ISTP forum, how about if ISTPs go and take over the ENFP forum? That way you can have the ISTP forum all to yourself.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Why is it you have more posts and replies here in ISTP land than virtually any of the regular ISTPs who participate here at the ISTP forum?

Maybe you should just start calling yourself an ISTP, that way you'd have an "apparent" excuse for coming here all the time.

I have an idea. Since so many of you ENFPs come over here to the ISTP forum, how about if ISTPs go and take over the ENFP forum? That way you can have the ISTP forum all to yourself.
You know, the enfp's probably would have no problem with that...

And as far as posting in other types forums...I post more in ENFP land than I do in ISFP land. I don't feel the need to make an "excuse" to be there. but thats all irrelevent, since I'm talking in ISTP land now, and apparently, nothing from outside matters.

Reactions: Linnifae

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ignore ignore ignore ignore

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only see one person that actually cares. I just confronted a line of questioning that seemed to contain an ulterior motive. Feel free to hang out. There are chips and dip on the table.
and i welcome you to confront me any time i do get out of line. like i said when i'm wrong i like to be aware that i am.

cheers for the chips! i brought some cola if you'd like some!:wink:

Reactions: ThoughtProcess

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, the enfp's probably would have no problem with that.
the enfp's would revel in the drama of it all and with our ever optimistic nature hope he might learn something from the experience.we're all about a win win situation for everyone even grumpy old men. i have to say that would bring a tear to my eye to see someone get a makeover. like how i get a tuck in my heart when i watch wifeswap and see someone finally admit their mistakes and commit to change. that would truly be a miracle.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Those ISTPs aren't atypical they are the norm of ISTP behavior....We are naturally get off our lawn types(misanthropic)...

Now then, very logical of you teabiscit :crazy:. Your points are very understandable a bit fluffy in words but eh..just know that we are a grumpy lot, you need a thick skin and logic to truly be welcome among the most misanthropic of us.

Me I'm generally apathetic to people here...till I see misinformation or logical fallacy *shrug* but I'm more in-touch with my N and J side than most ISTPs here *shrug*

Reactions: Linnifae

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Those ISTPs are atypical.
What is a "typical" for an ISTP? Is there such a thing?

Take for instance the thread about "sex." What is typical for an ISTP? Here you have ISTPs who like/enjoy sex and you have some ISTPs who could care less about sex which is totally incredulous to me. Then you have ISTPs who abstain from sex for religious reasons. Also there are some that just plain never have had sex, but probably want to.

So, what is typical? It seems that we either don't have a large enough sample of determine what is typical/atypical for an ISTP or maybe being atypical is actually typical for an ISTP?

No, the ENFP won't be able to understand this.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those ISTPs aren't atypical they are the norm of ISTP behavior....We are naturally get off our lawn types(misanthropic)...

Now then, very logical of you teabiscit :crazy:. Your points are very understandable a bit fluffy in words but eh..just know that we are a grumpy lot, you need a thick skin and logic to truly be welcome among the most misanthropic of us.

Me I'm generally apathetic to people here...till I see misinformation or logical fallacy *shrug* but I'm more in-touch with my N and J side than most ISTPs here *shrug*
i can't believe i'm saying this but i have to agree with aeiou on this one. i don't think all istp's are as grumpy as that. maybe it's related to how much sex an istp is getting at any one time! ha ha just joking!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have an ISTP boyfriend too.

Honestly, without this forum I would have been totally lost as to how he thinks, how he processes things, and how his expressions and actions convey how he feels about me. I hang out here a lot because, honestly, I already know how ENFPs work. MBTI is a tool. I use it to better my relationships with other types.

And it's true that there is no such thing as a "typical ISTP": you can tell this with AEIOU. I think he's unhealthy. :wink: But ISTPs have certain characteristics that they are prone to. Honestly, if no ISTPs are "typical" in any way, there shouldn't even be a primary ISTP board. :bored:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I don't think you've been around enough ISTPs, The jaded/grumpy ones are the norm aka hermits...once we realize that 99% of people suck or are dumb..we become hermits...*shrug* but whatever...

Sigh and please lets not make jokes about sex....I hate being a V sigh..but I hate people..:frustrating:
and there goes my Ti sigh..

Reactions: AEIOU

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think you've been around enough ISTPs, The jaded/grumpy ones are the norm aka hermits...once we realize that 99% of people suck or are dumb..we become hermits...*shrug* but whatever...

Sigh and please lets not make jokes about sex....I hate being a V sigh..but I hate people..:frustrating:
and there goes my Ti sigh..
i know alot of people are spas but you aren't perfect either and neither am i so.....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
i know alot of people are spas but you aren't perfect either and neither am i so.....
Uh...what? I'm so confused o_O what does that even mean...

no one said I was perfect so I don't know where you got that from......i've learned that most people suck....*shrug*

and I dislike people in general.....soooo...could you refrain from attacking me or putting words in my mouth... please :p

I was saying I hate being a virgin....but I hate people so...I'm going to be alone for life...because women don't just magically appear you have to socialize a little *shrug* .....and now I go ponder why I was born...

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uh...what? I'm so confused o_O what does that even mean...

no one said I was perfect so I don't know where you got that from......i've learned that most people suck....*shrug*

and I dislike people in general.....soooo...could you refrain from attacking me or putting words in my mouth... please :p

I was saying I hate being a virgin....but I hate people so...I'm going to be alone for life...because women don't just magically appear you have to socialize a little *shrug* .....and now I go ponder why I was born...
touchy!!!! jeez! i'm on your side man! chill.

a spa is a muppet, a moron, a sheep. most people are, but then i have found that most people when you get to know them are only human just like you and me and most people have some redeeming qualities.

then again when you REALLY get to know someone that's when you get to see their evil side. everyone has one. even me. you have to forgive people for their bullshit is basically what i'm saying.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
You know what ticks me off? Not a whole hell of a lot. But this does. Blaming your damn type on your complete lack of respect for other people. And even that wouldn't even bother me if I didn't also happen to be that type. So, go around being rude all you want, but don't bring being an ISTP into it.

What I meant by the typical ISTP is that we are supposed to be more inclined towards a live and let live attitude. Of course we don't all have the same opinions, like on sex, like all our favorite colors isn't blue. But most of us do behave a certain way, otherwise there would be no MBTI system, none of us would be here, and I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to make sense out of people.

Yes, I am somewhat misanthropic, I don't like most people, I wouldn't particularly mind being a hermit, but none of that means I have to be a jerk. There is no excuse for that for ANY of us.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts