Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"There is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself."

Above is a quote by Louis the 14th and I was jundering what my fellow INFJs thought about this quote - how it can help INFJs, how it relates to INFJs, what it means to conquer oneself for the INFJ etc. etc. any thoughts on this.

Also: I had to look it up but to "withstand" means to stand or hold out against; resist or oppose. And "jundering" is my term for just wondering. :crazy:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am totally being conquered by myself right now, it's not pretty. :/

·
Registered
428 Posts
For me, to conquer yourself means to master yourself. It means being in control of what you think, feel, say and do. This is probably one of the hardest things for any person to do since it is easier to give in to our impulses. To exercise such iron control and restraint has not been an easy journey for me. When I was younger, I had almost no control over my thoughts and feelings. To say I was moody would have been a gross understatement. I found that I was also a emotional vampire who needed validation and had great sucking powers when it came to seeking comfort from others. Needless to say I was unhappy for many years and my thoughts and feelings only served to heighten my deep unhappiness. I must have made life miserable for the people close to me but I was too selfish and too self absorbed to care.

Of course life would not allow me to carry on with that kind of behaviour without consequences. It took many painful setbacks for me which brought me to the edge of madness before I finally realized the need to take responsibility for my life. It was then that I began my journey to learn self-control and to conquer myself. Ironically, instead of feeling shackled and oppressed by conquering myself, I have never experienced greater freedom in my life. The journey took a few years. You could say that my 20s was about self-mastery and conquering myself. But as I begin my 30s, I am no longer the slave of my emotions or thoughts as I used to be. I am in greater control of things that I say and do. Yes I do slip and yes I still make mistakes. But I realize my errors quickly and bounce back faster than I used to. By conquering myself, I freed myself from the oppression of my own mind and feelings. That's not to say that my self-mastery is perfect or complete; it is not. Everyday is a struggle as it is easy to slip back to instinct and old habits. But with constant vigilance and practice comes the self-control that is necessary to do what I must.

The benefits of conquering myself is greater resilience and self-sufficiency. I also have greater capacity, compassion and patience to share the burdens of those whom I love.

My understanding of "little that can withstand" would be this: Now that I no longer waste my energies in inertia or fighting against myself, I can summon almost a 100% of it and focus it all in one direction to achieve whatever goal I wish to achieve. It means that for the 1st time in my life, I have the strength to steamroll whatever obstacles that lie in my path to reach my goals. Even if I am unable to do so, I have the strength of will to patiently find a way to work around it. Even when faced with self-doubts and fears, these feelings no longer hold me back the way they used to. I still feel them, but I continue to act in spite of it.

To me, this quote on conquering yourself and all its variants is one of the most important lessons in life. INFJs have huge potential because of their incredible depth. But water can sink or float a boat. Conquering yourself and mastering that self-control is crucial to unleashing our dormant potential. It is by no means an easy feat, but it is not impossible to do.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think it's important to clarify that conquering oneself in a positive sense does not imply stuffing our emotions and denying our deeper nature. It's about harnessing our strengths and working around our weaknesses through self-awareness and self-discipline. It's about knowing when to tell ourselves no when it's truly to the advantage of ourselves and other people. And it's about motivating ourselves to do what's necessary to succeed at something important even when the tasks are hard and go against our nature.

There's a scripture in the Bible that says that "the heart is treacherous, and so is it's desire..." Not everything we want is actually good for us, and not every impulse is constructive. Conquering oneself is all about self-discipline. And it's not easy!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I think it's important to clarify that conquering oneself in a positive sense does not imply stuffing our emotions and denying our deeper nature. It's about harnessing our strengths and working around our weaknesses through self-awareness and self-discipline. It's about knowing when to tell ourselves no when it's truly to the advantage of ourselves and other people. And it's about motivating ourselves to do what's necessary to succeed at something important even when the tasks are hard and go against our nature.

There's a scripture in the Bible that says that "the heart is treacherous, and so is it's desire..." Not everything we want is actually good for us, and not every impulse is constructive. Conquering oneself is all about self-discipline. And it's not easy!
I agree with Soul that conquering oneself can harness strength... it isn't about hiding our true selves... but rather harnessing our potential as people.

an INFJ who has conquered himself can use his emotions as fuel... rather than let his emotions lead him around on a leash.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell."
-- Buddha

Indeed.

By the way, it is worth noting that "you" are not the enemy in the traditional way. Conquering is different in this sense than when you are defeating an opponent. Conquering could be taken to mean "realizing," as in realizing one's true nature.

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
Temperament-wise, NTs are more into conquering/mastering one's self, whereas NFs tend to try and accept themselves.

I doubt I will ever master myself, but I have gotten a lot better at accepting myself.
The first step is to accept yourself. This will lead to conquering yourself.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
For me it is very much about understanding myself, accepting myself, and embracing my true nature. It has nothing to do with the desires of society, loved ones, or anything else. It has nothing to do with adapting myself to the world. It is not about overcoming or conquering. If it is part of you, it only needs to be overcome if you personally feel that it does. If it is the source of some contention within you, and only you, then perhaps it may be conquered.

For me it is akin to flowing with the stream of my true being, rather than striving against it, or attempting to construct dams to divert or contain or harness it.

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
For me it is very much about understanding myself, accepting myself, and embracing my true nature. It has nothing to do with the desires of society, loved ones, or anything else. It has nothing to do with adapting myself to the world. It is not about overcoming or conquering. If it is part of you, it only needs to be overcome if you personally feel that it does. If it is the source of some contention within you, and only you, then perhaps it may be conquered.

For me it is akin to flowing with the stream of my true being, rather than striving against it, or attempting to construct dams to divert or contain or harness it.
HorribleAesthete this is Perfect!

Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
Registered
233 Posts
For me i don't believe i'll ever fully accept myself as this would mean accepting the very thing that blighted my childhood; Clinical depression.

Although it seems it will at times continue to cast a huge swath of darkness over me it won't happen without a fight, its an invader and a destructive force within my own mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Conquering yourself is identifying your weaknesses and overcoming them as well as knowing your strengths and strengthening them . knowing your strengths and weaknesses is how you work towards conquering yourself .I've never met anyone who doesn't have a weakness so I dont know anyone who's conquered themselve .I imagine that if someone accomplished this they could withstand just about anything. knowing your strengths and weaknesses and always seeking to improve them will make you stronger. The more you improve the stronger you will become and the more you will be able to withstand.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
This has been one of my personal goals in life, to conquer myself. I've realized that all those voices in my head are not me, but just conditions, experiences and emotions that have risen due to my identification with them. The mind is a wonderful tool, but if used incorrectly can be extremely destructive. The only way to tame it is to take the reins of the mind and use them to help us achieve many things, and when such task has been taken care of, such tool should be put aside as you would put a blanket aside when you're no longer cold.

Conquering one self should be the priority of everyone, not just a select few. This, in my opinion, is the most responsible thing you can do to yourself and the world at large. Basically, all of our problems in the world are caused by conflict that result from different opinions and interests and those concepts, unfortunately, are mind-made. If we could just tame the mind, then most of our salvage behaviors would be eradicated and only our true selves would remain which does not identify with the corrupt and selfish behavior that identifying with the mind produces in us.

Finally, I fear that if humanity does not take conscious effort to understand this great illusion of the mind and keep being controlled by the tool, instead of us controlling the tool then grave consequences would result from this. We humans(with the aid of the mind) have created many great sociological, political, religious institutions and systems that are no longer relevant to our evolution, so we must seek to understand the potential of our true selves in order to know where to go next.

Reactions: soul searcher

·
Registered
487 Posts
The first step is to accept yourself. This will lead to conquering yourself.
I disagree with this. I do not believe that you have to accept yourself to master yourself. If you are skilled with a wooden staff, it's okay to wish for a metal one, that's improvement and should be something to strive for. Similarly, if you despise your faults, but are still able to do what you need to without sacrificing yourself to do it... There is no shame in always wanting to improve yourself.

Some people can accept themselves, these people are generally happier. Acceptance and triumph can go hand in hand, but not always.

I doubt I will ever really accept myself, but self control has not been a major issue with me as of yet.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Basically, it means that you need to get your shit under control. You have to take control of your life and recognize your weaknesses and do your best to correct them so that you can be the best possible person you can be. There's my two cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts