Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching "Aftermath" early this morning and William Shatner was interviewing Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau. At the end of the interview he asked Vili something about how he felt about the whole situation (her molesting him as a child and what not) and he said something about Vili now being in his 20's was at the age where he was just now capable of understanding consequences and then said something like: "That's why they send 18 year old's to war...because THEY think they're coming back."

This also reminded me of something I heard a while ago when I was younger about how the Frontal Cortex (or something to that effect.) of the brain was the last part of the brain to fully develop and that it played a role in understanding consequences.

Whenever I hear statements like these they always strike me as odd because I believe i've always had a pretty good understanding of consequences from a young age. I've never really been in serious trouble or even close to it as a result of that and in minor situations in which I simply didn't want to take the blame for my actions i've found myself playing dumb to lessen my punishment. As i've grown older i'm probably able to take into account a larger number of things that could go wrong or are most likely to go wrong but if anything it's only really made me take more risks (calculated risks but risks nonetheless).

So I wondered is it perhaps the ENTP frame of mind (mostly really due to Ne/Ti) that has caused me to recognize consequences or cause and effect. How does everyone else feel about their grasp on consequences as a child because quite frankly I feel like i've never had a huge problem with that.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Perhaps it is. I ahve always been good at this too. Unfortunately it was a hindrance, for instance when dating girls (ALL of these things may go wrong...oh boy).

But I am quite convinced that "regular Joe" dont get this until up to 25 yrs of age. I have envied them because they can so easily do stuff without obvious thinking.

When I grew up I had other issues, and I believe I recently matured. I am over 30.

Reactions: Ray Mabry

·
Banned
998 Posts
I think since we're Thinkers and not Feelers we have a netter grasp of consequences from an early age since it deals with logic.

I've heard this too though. I think what it mainly refers to though, is that we don't fully understand that we, too, will one day die, and that if we take the wrong actions, we could die sooner. I heard somewhere that the brain isn't fully developed until age 25.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Actually, when I was much younger, I was VERY impulsive. I slapped a guy impulsively. I threw rocks at someone's car whe I was five or six. But I was immediately aware of the possible consequences of these actions as soon as I did them...These were just impulsive actions.
I think that with other things, I've always had an easy time grasping how they may effect things. But I've changed as I've gotten older in that I think in more of a way that extends outside of the present moment. When I slapped that guy, I knew that it was something that would get me in trouble. If I was to skip school with the cognition I had then, I would think about whether or not I could get away with it and whether I'd have too much homework to take care of or something. If I was to skip school with my current cognition, I would think more about possible future consequences that would have more of an effect on me. In that way, I have developed my ability to grasp consequences.

Reactions: Ray Mabry

·
Registered
145 Posts
So I wondered is it perhaps the ENTP frame of mind (mostly really due to Ne/Ti) that has caused me to recognize consequences or cause and effect. How does everyone else feel about their grasp on consequences as a child because quite frankly I feel like i've never had a huge problem with that.
Me neither. We as ENTPs can interpret, analyze and evaluate all we want, but when the law states that you will not fuck a minor, we don't try to think of ways around it...unless the idea of going to pound-me-in-the-ass state prison doesn't bother you and you're a sick fuck.

MKL was damaged goods from a damaged family and it was only a matter of time until her mind or her desires got the best of her. Now that she's almost 50 and Vili is still in his late 20's, the next five years should prove to be interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think since we're Thinkers and not Feelers we have a netter grasp of consequences from an early age since it deals with logic.

I've heard this too though. I think what it mainly refers to though, is that we don't fully understand that we, too, will one day die, and that if we take the wrong actions, we could die sooner. I heard somewhere that the brain isn't fully developed until age 25.
So judging from your, uh, profile picture there I see your black now. Does that mean I get to teach you all of our secrets like what we really like instead of fried chicken and the origin behind "Sup Dawg?"

LMAO...Anyways, I always find it interesting the people that can't see the connection between our decisions now and how they will affect us in the future. I don't know whether it's just thinking alone though or at least for some people. One of my ISTJ friends understands consequences in some areas but lacks understanding when it comes to his health. His ESTP brother is pretty much impulsive and only has recently improved his health in order to go to the army and to partially to improve his social status a bit but he still doesn't seem to fully understand consequences. Perhaps it might be NT types that are forced to grasp this earlier?

Perhaps it is. I ahve always been good at this too. Unfortunately it was a hindrance, for instance when dating girls (ALL of these things may go wrong...oh boy).

But I am quite convinced that "regular Joe" dont get this until up to 25 yrs of age. I have envied them because they can so easily do stuff without obvious thinking.

When I grew up I had other issues, and I believe I recently matured. I am over 30.
I used to envy other people and their whole carefree thing and still do at times but quite frankly i'd prefer to be the sensible one of the group hahaha. Anyways I usually trust that things will work out for my carefree friends and in turn will work out for me so that calms me a bit when doing something stupid now and then.

That means though that i've got about 4 more years of my friends being retarded and not seeing the error of their ways. I'm bursting with excitement right now.

Me neither. We as ENTPs can interpret, analyze and evaluate all we want, but when the law states that you will not fuck a minor, we don't try to think of ways around it...unless the idea of going to pound-me-in-the-ass state prison doesn't bother you and you're a sick fuck.

MKL was damaged goods from a damaged family and it was only a matter of time until her mind or her desires got the best of her. Now that she's almost 50 and Vili is still in his late 20's, the next five years should prove to be interesting to say the least.
I found her to be one of the most perplexing people i've ever witnessed. I have a former friend that had a baby with a some 5 or 6 years younger than her when she was 18 and both exhibited the same characteristics. They APPEARED almost child-like and naive and both almost appeared submissive to their victims.(i'll also point out both are blond and so is Debra Lafave...hmmm....). Both her an Lafave also claim that some form of Bi-Polar disorder played a role although Mary Kay went a little more into detail about hers.

People like them are lucky they aren't men i'll just say that.

Oh and that's Scissor-my-snatch State Prison....you forgot that it was for women. We gotta keep it classy when talking about the lady's ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I just want to say that a lot of your threads seem interesting, but you have soooo much unnecessary information to sift through before you get to the point. I think I noticed it 'cause I do it to, but... yeah. Just some constructive criticism I suppose.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to say that a lot of your threads seem interesting, but you have soooo much unnecessary information to sift through before you get to the point. I think I noticed it 'cause I do it to, but... yeah. Just some constructive criticism I suppose.
LMAO. Thank you and yeah I know I do that alot it's the curse of my brain. I have a habit of not wanting to appear to be completely random so I find since i'm always having to explain myself and why i'm thinking something I usually include all of that from the get go.

Blame it on the years of people not getting me hahahaha:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts