Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you think of any ways in which societies, governments, corporations or economies may benefit from divorce?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lets see ... going through a separation at the moment ... which will end divorce in about a year or so

Lawyers ... working out all the settlement details ... mine is relatively painless but it can get messy
Real Estate Agents ... they get to sell one property and have potentially two in the market looking to buy (that can be good for Banks and Govts (Stamp Duty, etc))
The Economy... extra money from newly single people spending up to make themselves more attractive now they are back in the market...

There'd be negatives too but as to the overall balance who knows...

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
I can't imagine there being any long term positives with divorces and the list of things thats children of divorced parents are said to be more prone to because of the divorce create problematic people in the worst case scenario that would cost the government on social supports or if things really turn south, the finances of a prisoner and the productivity that they then don't contribute by being in the work force.
To me it seems you'd prefer that you're people are healthy individuals who get jobs and work without much help from the government and pay their taxes, ideally have high income jobs so higher taxes.

This isn't to say all children from divorced parents are doomed, its just stated that they are more prone to the pitfalls that a person may go through growing up than in a stable marriage. But certainly better having divorced parents then enduring a shitty marriage of parents fighting.

I suppose if the mother has a pretty sweet job or is financially supported by a new partner that the child support money she gets assuming the ex husband pays up will be there to spend on what ever, depending on what she values I suppose.
So spins that money around. I agree that lawyers benefit from it. Im curious to what conspiracy theory there could be in it benefiting anyone as it seems to be pretty shitty other than its getting out of a situation that both people don't want to be in.
As no happy marriage ends a divorce.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im curious to what conspiracy theory there could be in it benefiting anyone as it seems to be pretty shitty other than its getting out of a situation that both people don't want to be in. As no happy marriage ends a divorce.
It seems that society is not set up to support marriage or family units any more. I haven't yet come up with a conspiracy theory that fits. It may well be that there is a cultural lag in recognizing the value of family versus economic growth.

Reactions: Kizuna

·
Maid of Time
14,747 Posts
It seems that society is not set up to support marriage or family units any more.
Could you explain a little bit what you meant by this?

I mean, I do my taxes every year and am in the middle of a divorce; and it's very clear that US tax law supports marriage, this divorce will cost me when filing for taxes the year after it finalizes. It's also one of the issues in regards to gay marriage -- money savings that same-sex partners have not been allowed to benefit from. And while there might seem to be a self-absorbed/hedonistic streak in US culture on a personal level, culturally marriage seems to be a respected institution and many people desire to get married someday (if not in the present).

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
It seems that society is not set up to support marriage or family units any more. I haven't yet come up with a conspiracy theory that fits. It may well be that there is a cultural lag in recognizing the value of family versus economic growth.
If there is a problem in all of this, my thoughts would it's some cultural aspect than Government.
I'm not sure how you'd intentionally disintegrate marriages as marriage just seems to be a legal contract binding two people together in a bunch of legal benefits. I don't know what laws are more recent around marriage than perhaps its kind of recent that divorces became the norm and then there's things like prenuptial agreements and then the marketing of lawyers for women who want to divorce their husbands.
But I don't know of any significant change on the governments part in terms to marriage. So somethings changed within the people i'd say, they're not of the same values or thoughts as they once were for some reason. Divorces are pretty common even it seems and there is a whole new group of older single people.
I suppose being later in life they want to look good and having a good job is pretty sweet in both sexes.
Im sure someones got a pretty in genius thought on how it all connects :)

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could you explain a little bit what you meant by this?

I mean, I do my taxes every year and am in the middle of a divorce; and it's very clear that US tax law supports marriage, this divorce will cost me when filing for taxes the year after it finalizes. It's also one of the issues in regards to gay marriage -- money savings that same-sex partners have not been allowed to benefit from. And while there might seem to be a self-absorbed/hedonistic streak in US culture on a personal level, culturally marriage seems to be a respected institution and many people desire to get married someday (if not in the present).
It would seem that Western societies support marriage in so much as it assists their economic status. Marriage may be encouraged by the government for the purposes of stable breeding and maintaining the population. Costly divorces are one way that people are encouraged to stay in marriages.

Marriages aren't supported in that cost of living and housing have gone up to such an extent that both partners are generally required to work, and work long hours, significantly reducing the amount of time available to spend with family or being themselves / independent.

As for the respect of marriage, I think a large part of this is idealized. People respect it because it makes people appear more traditional, reliable, trustworthy and relatable.

·
Maid of Time
14,747 Posts
It would seem that Western societies support marriage in so much as it assists their economic status. Marriage may be encouraged by the government for the purposes of stable breeding and maintaining the population. Costly divorces are one way that people are encouraged to stay in marriages.

Marriages aren't supported in that cost of living and housing have gone up to such an extent that both partners are generally required to work, and work long hours, significantly reducing the amount of time available to spend with family or being themselves / independent.
Thank you, that helps me get a sense of where you're coming from. I agree with that second paragraph; divorce is costly, marriage is more economical, yet the economy itself makes demands that strongly encourages both parents to actually be sources of income. We do see couples occasionally reinventing themselves and withdrawing from that game, but it does mean giving up some amenities of modern life. This is one of the generational rifts between the pre-Boomers and modern generations, where we saw a huge shift from the one-parent income to a two-parent income, which made home life more diffuse/fluid and the nuclear family less the core of US life. The economy basically shifted along with the two parents working to take advantage of any additional income (which is typically what the economy does -- corporations position themselves to take advantage of new money sources), raising the minimal income level bar.

As for the respect of marriage, I think a large part of this is idealized. People respect it because it makes people appear more traditional, reliable and trustworthy.
Realistically, if the marriage was solid and both people truly dedicated to it, this could be true. I think being dedicated to something bigger than oneself can make a person more reliable and stable.

In practice, however, just because some idiot can get a marriage license doesn't nessarily mean they're becoming more reliable even if it encourages them to rise to the occasion.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Isn't that just the corporatism though? Would proper wages change the situation?

·
Banned
576 Posts
well i snooped around internet looking for graphs of divorce rate over the past 100 years. My search inquired both America and first world European countries. And for them most part the curves all had the same tendencies.

Note that i did this search having red an article months before explaining how feminist movements were orchestrated by the government. To accelerate cultural leaps and consequently the labor force. Whether the dominate institutions of a country are responsible for socioeconomic progression more so than it's "citizens". That we can not discern with certainty. But logically we can better infer it to be true.

As you can see the space between the first and second wave feminist movement is where the gradient declined. And this is consistent with graphs from European countries. The gradient also increased noticeably after WW1 during the height of first wave feminism.

The theory goes like this. Since the second industrial revolution the use of assembly lines pretty much removed men's undisputed dominance as a candidate in the labor force. The effort put out for labor decreased as well as the risk injury. And so women the baby carriers didn't have to fear accidents as much. And so productivity gains out weighted the dangers.

As an catalyst to that the industrialists wanted to break cultural norms and have women work in their factories. And whether we will aggrandize one factor over another for their contribution to whole is contingent. But by analyzing the possibilities in a detached way will we have a sense of accuracy towards the truth. And if you portray an denoted variable that you know exceeds the likely truth. And then align all others with-in that one to propagate it's plausibly. If the framework seems remotely logical then the danger may be possible in the future. But enough of my lecturing... Just my intuition on how the reaction will be after reading this and the true purpose of this thread. Hoping to stimulate analysis/research.

Anyways:
-More salacious themes in contemporary culture means greater likely hood of infidelity
-High divorce rates means demand for better settlements by the women
-Less money for men means greater efforts to work
-Re-marrying could mean more children and thus both parents have to work
-Lack of tutelage by parents means greater chance of being indoctrinated by institutions
-More powerful central governments

Edit: The American government has become more centralized over the last half century. What ever your suspicions may be on whether they are trying plot after plot to centralize further. And gain more control that's up to your own analysis. And the likely hood of that possibility. Even so the connections may never be concretely attributed as elaborate and intentional plots by the highest echelons. But we know centralization has it's flaws and that's the best you can focus on.

you can also try and be more specific than that. Something you should encourage yourself to do. Perhaps by seeking out patterns with-in historical events and the divorce rates over 100 years. As well as margin of error with-in the earlier half of the graphs.

But it seems to me that the government "drives the car" while people fix/build. Recently over the century i have reason to believe the government "is driving to close to the cliff". Perhaps we've already fallen off and are just waiting to...

But what ever the case make your own decisions on this one.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
separation by drama ends with both parents spending more money to make up for lost time and kids...

it's good for business, bad for self sanity.

Without divorce attorneys and marriage therapists, people can't think what to do for themselves and act on it!

Don't believe me? In a divorce where both parties are mutually separating without drama, the lawyers/attorneys holds private consultations with either of them "It's in your futures' best interest to make them pay and milk them for what they have."

Such bad practices led to the eventual adoption of pre-nup's to avoid this 'loophole'. Even so...

Oh... child support is another story... but alright.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Lawyers benefit from it, sometime children benefit from it, sometime spouses benefit from it. It's hard to imagine how sociality as a whole could benefit from the breakdown of family.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts