Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you easily annoyed and turned off by people who suffer from constant attention seeking?

I feel that I am a humble person, so desperately seeking attention is not a priority of mine. It's hard for me to like someone when they have an overwhelming desire to be the center of attention. I am easily disgusted by it.

It's as though my own set of personal values are being trampled on. It's as though someone is "all up in my grill" with their outrageous sense of self. I just want to back away and not be around it, because I feel embarrassed for the person who is being so excessive and dramatic.

Do you find it easy to ignore or does it bother you as well?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It is very annoying, and frankly I see it as dishonorable behavior, so I can get really cold when speaking to someone that I think is like that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am the same. It makes me very embarrassed. I find it easy to ignore because I don't like pandering to people's attention cravings but other times it's a bit like staring at a car crash.

I guess we INPFs are not attention seekers.

I am also very humble and if I thought I was getting attention because I was demanding it not deserving it, it would have no value for me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yea, I do get annoyed by it and there's someone even on this board that seems to fall into this category(hasn't posted in this thread:don't be paranoid ;)).

It's crazy to me. I feel there are some people that will seek the attention in any form. They don't even mind if they get the spotlight because of something NEGATIVE that they have done-as long as they are the story.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think wanting attention is a basic human desire that we all have to some extent. In light of this I think seeking it can be quite innocent. Sometimes people may go overboard with it, especially if the desire is not being fulfilled in some way,

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm generally pretty forgiving of attention-seeking behavior as long as the person doing so remains fairly unobtrusive. I mean, just because someone wants attention doesn't mean they're stupid or shallow, it just means they're insecure. And I can identify with insecurity.

Unabashed self-centeredness, though, the kind that's caused by an overabundance of self-esteem--that's what pisses me off. When people begin to lack self-awareness and break from reality into a delusion that they're the most amazing person ever, I begin get very annoyed.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
It depends on the individual actually.

I much prefer attention seeking in some amusing, dramatic form rather than indirect attention seeking though. There are some who indirectly seek attention through insults and pretend that they don't :dry: I wonder who they are.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I like attention. Most of the time around most people I prefer to stay hidden in the background, but with special people in my life, I can be quite the attention whore if I feel like I'm lacking. Berate me for it if you want; I personally don't have a problem with my tendency to seek love and attention from people who mean the most to me. :proud:

That said, I still desire attention in a different form from others. I like to be recognized for my achievement/success/individuality/etc., but I'm not about to go all Kanye West on someone to get it. I only want a little glimmer of the spotlight, not the whole thing, and especially not in a negative context.

·
Registered
444 Posts
For me, its more of how and why they are constantly seeking attention. I have one friend who seeks attention because he simply loves people and loves entertaining people. I have no problem with this...usually haha

I had a friend who constantly sought after attention because she was insecure, etc. This bothers me.

as far as the how...if they're doing it in an overly obnoxious and wild way, yeah that will bother me. or if they are just throwing out lie after lie to gain attention, that bothers me as well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If I find them entertaining and they only do it because that's just "them", then I don't mind... but if it's unhealthy ways to get attention, like starting fights, creating drama, pulling really mean pranks... then it starts to bother me.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I think it depends.

Without gaining attention, we'll just simply... Disappear. People won't know who we are, we won't get offered jobs (because again, nobody knows us.), we won't get dates, etc. We have to put ourselves out there in a positive way.

However, if done negatively, like someone said... By starting fights, breaking couples/friendships up, and the likes, then yes, that's annoying.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Are you easily annoyed and turned off by people who suffer from constant attention seeking?

I feel that I am a humble person, so desperately seeking attention is not a priority of mine. It's hard for me to like someone when they have an overwhelming desire to be the center of attention. I am easily disgusted by it.

It's as though my own set of personal values are being trampled on. It's as though someone is "all up in my grill" with their outrageous sense of self. I just want to back away and not be around it, because I feel embarrassed for the person who is being so excessive and dramatic.

I'm not an attention seeker most of the times, and when I get it, I feel a bit uneasy. I live in a thin equilibrium between these two, because I really don't like when people are all up on me telling me I'm so great, I'm so this, so that, and all that. It makes me anxious, makes me feel like I was a star and they were my fans.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I seek attention but in an indirect, roundabout way. I want it to be deserved (be truly interesting, inspiring). What bothers me most, is an egotistical narcissist acting all cool and bragging about himself, and people giving him positive attention for it. It makes me cynical about people in general, and I start to reject any notion of self worship. I just can't stand showing off, or acting like I'm cooler than everyone. I've tried to imitate it to get the same kind of attention, and not only do I fail but I feel miserable and highly dislike being fake. I'm addicted to integrity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you easily annoyed and turned off by people who suffer from constant attention seekingoverwhelming desire to be the center of attention. I am easily disgusted by it.
?

I feel that I am a humble person, so desperately seeking attention is not a priority of mine. It's hard for me to like someone when they have an

I just want to back away and not be around it, because I feel embarrassed for the person who is being so excessive and dramatic.

there's this girl in my class who LOVES to be the center of attention. and yes. i am embarrassed for her.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
There are positive and negative ways of attention seeking. Some people are just plain noisy and I tend to keep them at a distance. They can be tiring.

But for others, giving them attention is an extremely rewarding thing to do because they give back as much energy as they absorb. It is like that with my gf. She clearly enjoys to receive my love and in many ways seems to need it and bask in it. But she always gives back at least as much as she takes.

I think it has to do with energy. Some people(sadly few and far between) radiate it outwards, others suck it up like a black hole. And most are pretty much neutral.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It really depends on the person. I would like to believe that maturity also plays a role in this, but that's not always the case.

It depends on their mood at the time. If someone is feeling blue about something, they may just seek attention for the sake of someone being there, and or for the sake of someone guiding them, helping them.

It also depends on how close of a friend/acquaintance you are to me but either way, DOING THE SAME ATTENTION SEEKING CRAP OVER AND OVER FOR COMPLETELY STUPID REASONS PISSES ME OFF.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Oh yeah, nothing worse than that. I have an ENFP best friend and she CONSTANTLY runs around screaming and shouting, exhausting for all to see what she is. It makes my blood boil, i feel that when we're out together meeting new people no one ever remembers my name because they're all so wrapped up in paying attention to her. I cannot describe how frustrating it is! Also, that sly attention seeking is annoying. 'oh poor me i wish i was pretty' and some foolish person will reply 'what? Oh but you're stunning' things like that. It's so immature for people of my age to behave like this, but unfortunately it happens.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I hate attention seekers I think or most of them annoy me. I don't get how there brain works to be honest with you. What is so great about the spotlight really and why would someone try so hard to get it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's a matter of perspective with me. If I like the person and find him or her entertaining, then I'm fine with it. But if it seems the behavior comes from a sense of insecurity, I find it intolerable. Example of the latter: my sister. She is an artist and has to dominate every conversation with stories of her art and her dogs (she has sighthounds which she takes lure coursing). I don't get a word in edgewise in any family gathering, so I have stopped trying.

However...perspectives can change. I once was charmed by my husband, who is always the center of attention anywhere he goes. Now I find it insufferable because I can't stand him for other reasons. Sometimes I just want to melt into the wall when he gets really obnoxious with his "humor."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts