Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can be in a horrid mood one minute, then laughing my ass off the next. And then back to the dark side yet again. I'm guessing this is common for most NF's. Maybe just F's in general. Also, I have noticed that if I listen to certain kinds of music it will put me in a better or worse mood. I rememeber being able to listen to anything, at any time, and still keep my mood. Lately, my mood has simply been a product of my environment and I am tired of it. Obviously depression is in the works, but it seems the older I get the more everything affects me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I can be in a horrid mood one minute, then laughing my ass off the next. And then back to the dark side yet again. I'm guessing this is common for most NF's. Maybe just F's in general. Also, I have noticed that if I listen to certain kinds of music it will put me in a better or worse mood. I rememeber being able to listen to anything, at any time, and still keep my mood. Lately, my mood has simply been a product of my environment and I am tired of it. Obviously depression is in the works, but it seems the older I get the more everything affects me.
That is EXACTLY what I've been experiencing. I was ALSO just thinking lately how it was so much easier to buffer myself against my environment when I was younger.

I've been coming to the conclusion that my will power to deny "who I am" in order to survive my environment rather than change my environment to support who I am - has been eroded away. Wait, that doesn't sound quite right.

I am being forced to be more true to my nature as I get older because I can no longer stand to hide my nature anymore? Wait...

Anyone else experiencing this who knows how to explain it better? :crazy:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I'm totally going through this right now. Music no longer affects me because I'm too numb to be affected by it, but my mood seems to be a product of my environment too. I am burned out. I have been having mood swings as well. Not bipolar though - because in bipolar, people get in a "high" mode where they feel invincible and feel like they can jump off the building or stairs or something. I think it's just a simple matter of mood swings for me - going from really low, to going from where i feel a moment of clarity and peace, to going back to feeling awful.I also have a shorter temper lately. I don't blow up and go on an anger rampage, but I hate repeating myself so if someone asks something where I am repeating myself again, I get really irritated and I am very short with them.

I seem to be going through some internal struggles right now. Sometimes, when I interact with people, I go through this tug and pull where I feel like I can act like myself, but then I go through this strict phrase where I feel literally gross when I feel like i've showed too much of my emotions. I also feel sick to my stomach when I have to force myself to be "happy" in interacting with ppl because I just want to sulk in my dark emotions sometimes. I think it has to do with how we were raised maybe. We want to just be ourselves but we were taught to be "on our best behavior." i think sometimes the issues we go through are rooted in this.

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
I belief one is changing...peeling a layer away, if one will.

For myself, when I'm changing, I tear myself all the way down and rebuild myself back up to be a stronger me.
I have no qualms with myself for this. I walk through what ever needs to be walked through. That is good enough for me. I go through the emotions in a more peaceful way now days, because I have been through enough in my life to know that I will make it through and be stronger for it. Don't know if this makes sense to you all, but this is how I think of it.

If life throws you lemons make lemonade!:wink:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can relate to the tearing yourself down to rebuild yourself stronger. I think that is what is happening, but on a subconscious level. I've learned more this last year of my life than I have in the last 5 so it's definitely a life-changing time of my life.

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
I can relate to the tearing yourself down to rebuild yourself stronger. I think that is what is happening, but on a subconscious level. I've learned more this last year of my life than I have in the last 5 so it's definitely a life-changing time of my life.
Take heart in what I have put in bold in your post. I believe because of this you will be where you need to go. My hat is off to you! :wink:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
hey buuuuuuuuddddyyyyy.

:)

yeah. I have been going through this ever since I went through my hormonal stage and started wanting sex. I think it is our emotional half looking for our person to just take charge and drive us with love.
so next time you have someone in your enviornment affecting you interact with them. music is harder because it doesn't talk back to you. lol

but I have found, when in doubt, let yourself find someone you can trust, let you Ni guide you and forget about focusing on the asspects in the world which force you to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
For me, it will very much depend on some kind of general underlying mood or energy level. When my life is more or less well balanced in general, I would also be much more stable in my mood. However, if I've spent too much mental energy or am tired for any other reason, I'd be much more prone to mood swings... I think of it as an energy buffer that can be high or low, and when it is high I can just draw from the buffer if I need to, wheras when it is low, I simply go with the mood to a much greater extent as I don't have the energy to go against it.

To some extent I would guess this goes for any type, but I would still think that us INFJs are more dependent on our Fe, and hence at the same time more in touch with our feelings and less in charge of them. I've learnt that my immediate context is very important, and also much easier for me to manage than my feelings, so I try to make sure that I don't end up in situations where I feel too much downbeat - at least not when I know I can't afford it...

I'm also thinking that maybe age can affect this is more than one way... As we grow more mature we become more aware of our thoughts and feelings, and this could lead to a sense of becoming more vulnerable despite the fact that our better awareness also gives us more possibility to adapt and respond. And maybe with time it could grow into either a positive or a negative spiral, I don't know...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's mostly just where I am. I have to make new friends since I moved out of state and I've never been one to make friends. I normally let people befriend me and go from there. The ones worth keeping stay around and the rest fade away. But now it's time to take charge and it's quite intimidating. Life...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
you will be fine...

if they came to you before, they will come to you again.

and one day someone just comes and you stick with um.
happy traveling!

·
Registered
92 Posts
i used to have severe mood swings, but theyve evened out over the years.....not that im that old :wink:

i think that mood reflects something within that you need to take notice of

and as greencoyote said previously......take charge.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I really want everybody around me to be happy.

I'm in my best mood when all seems to be going well with me and everyone else that I am in contact with.

I seem to want to be "firm" with sad people though, and I think some may misunderstand this as meanness. I'm going to try to work on finding a balance between being too gentle and being too firm.

Life is all about balance for me.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I'm prone to mood swings. I have a few months where I'm fine and a few months where I feel awful. I can't quite pinpoint the cause of it. I think it can be hormonal, but then I tend to get in bad moods from around December through to Feb - winter months - so I wonder if I suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder)...

Also, I'm not good with change unless I've chosen it for myself. I need to know what I'm getting myself into before I'll do anything otherwise I get all anxious.

Music can affect my mood too. Ever since I was a child I've noticed how it affects me. My mum said sad music always made me cry, but this can happen with happy music too.

Here's an example of a mood change that happened to me the other day: I have just started uni and I had spent a couple of days writing all of my lesson plans out, I creating a timetable for myself. So I thought I will have a lie in tomorrow, catch up on some sleep because I didn't have a lecture until the afternoon. I woke up at 11.30am thought I'd better check my email to see if anything had changed with my lectures. And guess what? I find out that this afternoons lecture had been brought forward to 12!! I had 10mins to get ready and rush to my lecture. I panicked and started crying, but I stopped myself and said "Just calm down, get dressed you will make it on time. Don't worry about breakfast just grab a biscuit and eat it on the way. You can eat after the lecture it's only a couple of hours long. Even if you are late it's not your fault, they sent you the email on the day of the change! Be glad that you checked your email when you did".

I was calm again after that and I made it to my lecture on time. Pretty glad I did make it because it was a fun lecture!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Me too

First hi everyone! It's such a relief to find a community of fellow INFJs :happy:

I too suffered from daily mood swings until I cleaned up my diet; I stopped eating sugar and processed junk food and eliminated gluten. The difference that made was remarkable. I still have occasional mood swings but they're smoothed out. Before that, I felt like a jo-jo and that was quite annoying. :wink:

Reactions: Bright Laughter
1 - 19 of 19 Posts