Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem with this. ..

..All throughout college. I'm even studying subjects that I really enjoy and I'm loving my classes this semester. But I'm struggling with motivation/focus. Last semester I had to focus basically on one class - the others were easy enough for me to get A's without doing much outside [of class] studying. Last Fall was the first semester I had in the previous 3 years of college where I had direction and knew what I wanted, which is a huge lift (could be graduated by now - have two good buddies with their BS now). My GPA went from like a mid 2.5 for those first 3 years to a 3.7 from then till now.

But this semester I'm working 40 hour weeks and taking 14 credit hours. Its rough and I'm loosing focus. I've noticed this pattern in years past...and it doesn't end well. I have a passion, but I think I'm just getting burnt out. I have very little free time (I'm typing this while working :tongue: ).

It seems my motivation goes in spikes. sometimes they last a long time, sometime they last mere minutes. I'm worried i'm nearing the end of a long term spike in motivation.

I'm planning on getting a masters and probably a phd as well - and do private research or become a professor. That is a long and grueling process. but its what interests me...i just have the nasty infp issues - motivation, focus. I already wasted 3 years of school picking my nose.

I need to overcome these....lapses. I just know i'm not the only one suffering from INF[ocus]P[rocrastination]-itis...Have any of you over come this and if so, what advice do you have?

Sorry for the ramble.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
When I worked full time and attended school full time, I had to drive about a half hour to and from work, and three hours to and from school in total for two days, leaving the house every single day. Inward pessimism and outward laziness are my negative areas, so I came up with a couple solutions going by.

On my way to and from work, since I worked at a corporate professionally inconsiderate establishment, I found something to laugh about to and from work. While in college, since I spent so much time on campus and working, I found some extracurriculars like poetry to take up like a half hour to 45 minutes a week to take my mind off of things. Also, professional development gave me food for thought on how to help others better while I was in college, and I put some of the skills I learned there to work in the workplace to lighten the workload. Really, I just tried to ease my workload by working towards positive goals while going to school. :happy:

Hope you can take away from this. College isn't free, but there are a lot of free opportunities at almost anywhere.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
No real answers from me for you glooster, (kick ass gpa jump btw, grats)

I've generally been in your situation my entire life. I had those moments where I was inspired beyond belief, not only completing everything in my way, but absolutely blowing away everyone that was fortunate enough to witness. Then other times, I was basically an apathetic sloth with a bit of a "same shit, new day" mentality to life. Like you, I still generally completed my tasks regardless of mood, but I didn't seem to put anywhere near as much effort, but it was still good enough for most people. I think part of that makes it even more depressing, you can half ass your work and still do well.

I haven't exactly found any concrete answers for myself, but I find that I'm generally capable of inspiring other people. I think of this as being able to light their fires, but then sharing some of the warmth they give off. Even then, I think it just prevents me from spiraling rather than actually providing a solution. So with that in mind, I just go on a bit of a journey of trying to experience new things in life, pushing myself to those limits and see an example of how I think I would act vs how I will -actually- act.

Now, unlike you, I have a bit of free time because I basically scammed the system with regards to tuition and student loans (I used my student loans during the recession to buy stocks and when they all rebounded..... $$$$$$$$$$). However, -similar- to what Az mentioned, I started to divide my time with numerous volunteer opportunities as a form of reflection and venting. Sometimes doing something for free, with an intrinsic purpose, can inspire you in itself. It's like how a hobby can never really -drain- you, others may view it as work, but to you it's a recharge.

but ya.. no real answers from me. I feel like a dog sniffing around, barking when I find a bone, then going back to sniffing again until I find another.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No real answers from me for you glooster, (kick ass gpa jump btw, grats)

I've generally been in your situation my entire life. I had those moments where I was inspired beyond belief, not only completing everything in my way, but absolutely blowing away everyone that was fortunate enough to witness. Then other times, I was basically an apathetic sloth with a bit of a "same shit, new day" mentality to life. Like you, I still generally completed my tasks regardless of mood, but I didn't seem to put anywhere near as much effort, but it was still good enough for most people. I think part of that makes it even more depressing, you can half ass your work and still do well.
Yes, this describes it perfectly. One big issue is that the public school didn't challenge me much. I did that half assed work through out middle and high schools - and graduated with a very high gpa. I never learned proper study habits and came to college trying to do the same thing. It owned me, but when I readjusted, I learned the "college half ass" and now I get away with it all the time. But that's precisely the problem I think. ..I know I can do minimal work and get a decent reward for it. My subconscious weighs the pros and cons and sometimes decides, "meh, screw the homework, you need to have some quality waste time on the internet"

Now, unlike you, I have a bit of free time because I basically scammed the system with regards to tuition and student loans (I used my student loans during the recession to buy stocks and when they all rebounded..... $$$$$$$$$$). However, -similar- to what Az mentioned, I started to divide my time with numerous volunteer opportunities as a form of reflection and venting. Sometimes doing something for free, with an intrinsic purpose, can inspire you in itself. It's like how a hobby can never really -drain- you, others may view it as work, but to you it's a recharge.
Last semester I volunteered 4 hours a week at a local social services place - worked with kids 12 and under who had been taken from their parents because of drugs, jail, abuse, etc. It was awesome. But I just didn't have time for it this semester - when they wanted/needed me didn't work with me.

Nice job on the $$ stuff! I'm also battling the money war too but not nearly as successful as you are, i think I'm loosing right now haha. life and college ain't cheap, that's for sure.

My usual outlet - photography - my schedule doesn't give me time to get out and do a lot of shooting. I'm busy till later evening every night. I would die for a consistent day for me to be able to get out there and do some shooting. Maybe I need to be creative and find stuff at home to shoot and veer off my usual path of nature and landscapes.

I don't know about any other INFP's but I need that "wasted time" stuff. it allows me to reload and recharge. I think part of the problem is i spread myself too thin and just don't give myself enough time for this - and so it slowly builds up and then just caves in and my mind just says, no you need to catch up on your wast time.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you studying and how are you able to go to school with 14 credits and a 40hr/week job!?
Psychology. haven't decided on cognitive or social yet. I only switched to psych last year (before I was doing...dread...business and hated it it)

And I ask myself that question every day. haha.

Its definitely part of my issue of focus, I know that. But I can't really reduce either one - i need/want to finish school asap. and i need the money.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh do I know about this.

A year ago, I was in nursing school and had just started a new waitressing job that drained the hell out of me. I only worked it three or four days a week, but Saturdays and Sundays were insane. I literally went insane working those shifts.

Anyway, yeah, nursing school was ridiculously time-consuming and demanding of attention. Not only that, but I absolutely loathed it. I hated the work itself, and had no time to myself. I was either at school doing shit I hated, or at work going insane trying to do 7,000 things at once. I'm telling you, my life this time last year was similar to what I imagine it'd be like being burned alive.

What kept me sane? Smoking weed whenever I got the second, haha. Bad advice I'm sure, but hey. Also, having great roommates to come home to and laugh with didn't hurt either. And the fact that I promised myself after that semester I was done with nursing and all medicine fields in general, and that I was going to save money and go travel the US in the summer, and that after that I was going to go for sociology, what I've wanted to do but didn't because I was focused on the practicality and money aspect of nursing.

So, not so much advice as me letting you know that I feel for ya; I've been there, and it was horrible. I'm about to be there again in a few months, and I'm not looking forward to it, but at least I'll be studying something I love. I'm going to try to keep my thoughts not on how much working and going to school simultaneously sucks and how much I wish someone would just give me $50,000, but on the light at the end of the tunnel - graduating and being a step closer to whatever it is I'm getting at.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you're feeling like that, maybe you chose the path that isn't right for you.

I dunno about you, but I feel like when you truly find your path, your calling in life.

It's like riding bahamut [or a really, huge dragon for those who don't know.]

Nothing's going to stop you. :p

Reactions: gloosle

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I can't give much advice on the whole school and work thing (holy crap are you doing a lot!) but I do know about spreading yourself thin. I currently work about 60 hours a week, three days are eight-ish hour days, three are thirteen-ish hour days and then one day is my "off" day, which is really only an off day about every other weekend or so.

Here's what I've found I have to do in order to survive and have something resembling motivation to do /something/ at all. I have made sure that I have at a minimum eight (very precious) hours a week that are reserved just for me. It's nice if they're altogether, but two hours on Sunday, two on Wednesday, four on Saturday... it all helps. Part of that is also making sure that my friends are aware that there are certain weekends that I will not do /anything/ with them. In setting that boundary, they are actually quite reasonable and respect my "me" time, even if I choose to then spend some of it talking with them on the phone or texting or whatnot. I also then make sure that the other day I do things with them that we all will enjoy so that I'm not going to lose friends and thus a very important support system, because I'm too stressed and distracted and acting like a space cadet.

Really, a lot of it is (sadly) establishing a lot of boundaries with others and work (I told job#2 that I could not work both weekend days in August after going something like forty some odd days without a day off, more like sixty some odd days if you consider that my time off was for a festival thing in Chicago I performed in...) and then with yourself, and that's just to prevent/slow burn out. To actually increase motivation, you will most likely have to reward yourself. Example, if you get X done for these classes by this time, then you will have Thursday afternoon for photography. If you don't, then going out for a shoot has to be delayed until X and Y are done later in the week. I'm not a particularly big fan of that myself, but it does work if you really are limited on time and energy and have things you need to get done.

Good luck, and I hope you're able to find something here that will work for you. Several somethings would be even better. :happy:

Reactions: Lad and gloosle

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I'll try to get in a better reply sometime today.

But after sleeping on this the last two nights I think that my problem is one that I keep drifting towards...one that is simple and I've never learned to handle: time management. I'm horrible at it.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll try to get in a better reply sometime today.

But after sleeping on this the last two nights I think that my problem is one that I keep drifting towards...one that is simple and I've never learned to handle: time management. I'm horrible at it.
Terrible at TM too, gloo.

I remember doing a University course that stressed certain life skills and time management was this biggggggggggg project about setting goals and seeing where most of your time goes towards throughout the basic day. It was such a painful project to do, but it really gives you a lot of scope as well. I still cringe at the idea of planning too far ahead as things can pop up at anytime, but even I know it's for the best.

Anyways, your post inspired me to try working on time management again :p, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a grad student (PhD program in anthropology) and I've certainly been in similar situations before. I think that giving yourself permission to have "waste time" is really important. It's like stretching for runners: it helps you get ready, helps you wind down, and it keeps you from hurting yourself (by pushing too hard with all of the work, or by beating yourself up for taking too much down time).

Also, don't let your worries about this semester stop you from considering grad school and pursuing your dreams. It's not easy, but if you love it and it's important for you, you'll find a way to make it work. And you're already a rock star for switching majors and raising your GPA like that.

Also, coffee always helps. :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts