Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, nines! That is a very important question for me and I would really like to know, do you feel comfortable at place where you live (country/city)?

I myself live in Russia and I find it terribly annoying for nine to live here. It is totally 8 dominated country, not in the sense that everyone is 8 here, but the "normal,average,accepted" behavior is being eight, so everything makes me stressful in the way how people work, communicate, solve problems. This behavior clearly goes from the terrible country's past, but anyway...

I've also lived in Israel for 5 years and there I didn't really feel like a part of society (by the way does anyone can say what type is Israel?) and it's really frightening to live under the constantly falling rockets. Lets not talk about Israeli-Palestinian conflict, please, I don't want it to become political conversation, and things you read in news are often so far from truth.

So, how do you feel at place where you live, how do you communicate with people, governmental institutions etc?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A curious thread idea. I myself live in western Canada, Vancouver specifically, and from what I can tell this place is perfect for me. My evidence is all anecdotal, but my experiences have shown me that this place is very laid back indeed. Ours is a very social-liberal culture where almost any lifestyle or belief can seem to exist without much of a public backlash, a place where people are more or less free to do what they will as long as it's not harming anyone. Since the days of European colonization the region has never seen real conflict, and so it's also one of the few corners of the earth still relatively unstained by blood. The government is generally helpful and not a hindrance, the people are polite (there's some truth to that Canadian stereotype), and the cities are quite diverse and multicultural. Furthermore, while I'm not sure if 9's tend to enjoy nature or if that's just me, this area is renowned for its pristine natural environment in the form of mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, and coastlines in abundance.

I think it would definitely be more accurate to describe my city as being type 7, however, and these observations, being grounded entirely in my own personal experiences and bias, are not necessary true. This is just what I have seen myself, take it as you will.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
A curious thread idea. I myself live in western Canada, Vancouver specifically, and from what I can tell this place is perfect for me. My evidence is all anecdotal, but my experiences have shown me that this place is very laid back indeed. Ours is a very social-liberal culture where almost any lifestyle or belief can seem to exist without much of a public backlash, a place where people are more or less free to do what they will as long as it's not harming anyone. Since the days of European colonization the region has never seen real conflict, and so it's also one of the few corners of the earth still relatively unstained by blood. The government is generally helpful and not a hindrance, the people are polite (there's some truth to that Canadian stereotype), and the cities are quite diverse and multicultural. Furthermore, while I'm not sure if 9's tend to enjoy nature or if that's just me, this area is renowned for its pristine natural environment in the form of mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, and coastlines in abundance.

I think it would definitely be more accurate to describe my city as being type 7, however, and these observations, being grounded entirely in my own personal experiences and bias, are not necessary true. This is just what I have seen myself, take it as you will.
It's funny because Canada was the first country I thought of as far as one of the best countries to live in as a 9 LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That's really sounds like a paradise for me! Have you noticed "the dark side" of nines in the behaviour of Canadian people? Ignoring their anger, narcotizing themselves, avoiding the conflicts? Can it somehow be seen at Canadaian "archetype"?

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
How is it, being nine in the US? I've read a lot that US is totaly 3 type county.
Not as good as being a 9 in Canada! LOL

It's taxing for me, I should say. Plus people with strong personalities that don't strive for peaceful harmony are endorsed in television here. People love confrontation and drama. It tires me out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's really sounds like a paradise for me! Have you noticed "the dark side" of nines in the behaviour of Canadian people? Ignoring their anger, narcotizing themselves, avoiding the conflicts? Can it somehow be seen at Canadaian "archetype"?
Hmm... unfortunately I can't speak for all of Canada - it's a huge country, and I have experienced naught but a small slice of it. That yes, I would think so. Canadians are renowned for their use of passive aggressiveness over outright anger, both as individuals and as a collective community. Politically, we're very passive: voter turnout, for example, likes to flirt with the 50% mark when it comes to federal elections, and my city managed a whopping 27% in the last provincial election. Avoiding conflicts... well, we're the world's peacekeepers, so I'd say yes. We don't like to touch conflicts that aren't our business, and if we do we go in only to maintain order and keep the sides from shooting civilians. So I guess it might be accurate, sure. We're a very laid-back kind of place.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
The country where I live, the Philippines, is very 9 ever since the dawn came. Historically, and the collection of attitude amongst people are in essence very 9. Calm, modest, passive, peace-seeking, humble, very traditional, very sentimental. In cognitive function, very Si. And the historians called the Filipinos as indolent, and the reason is partly to be blamed because of the weather, humid, you just want to sleep and take a nap everyday.

EDIT: But these past few years, this decade specifically, I've seen the economic growth developing rather fast. More infrastructures being built, more jobs, more investors, more real state properties being built on a vast land, and getting paralleled to those other Asian countries who have a very stable and progressive economy. In a headline and survey I've read, it's stated that Philippines is the best place for women in Asia. Philippines is becoming more and more competent as the days go by. I see this as integration to 3. People are becoming more ambitious, driven, and assertive. Not to mention many are becoming social climbers xD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The country where I live, the Philippines, is very 9 ever since the dawn came. Historically, and the collection of attitude amongst people are in essence very 9. Calm, modest, passive, peace-seeking, humble, very traditional, very sentimental. In cognitive function, very Si. And the historians called the Filipinos as indolent, and the reason is partly to be blamed because of the weather, humid, you just want to sleep and take a nap everyday.

EDIT: But these past few years, this decade specifically, I've seen the economic growth developing rather fast. More infrastructures being built, more jobs, more investors, more real state properties being built on a vast land, and getting paralleled to those other Asian countries who have a very stable and progressive economy. In a headline and survey I've read, it's stated that Philippines is the best place for women in Asia. Philippines is becoming more and more competent as the days go by. I see this as integration to 3. People are becoming more ambitious, driven, and assertive. Not to mention many are becoming social climbers xD.
Thats interseting! Are you 9? How do you feel being in nine-country?

I've been thinking a lot is it bad for the nation's mentality to be nine? I mean, you're saying that a lot of bad luck of Philipines is coming out of typical problems of nines. You know, I grew up in a very eight-ish Russia and I can surely say that a LOT of problems of this county is because of this 8ish behavior, egoistic, violent, bravado, internal impulses going out...

Looks like Canada is quite successful: economics, healthcare,... Although it looks like they don't feel very happy about their country. I've been searching for any possible information about nine countries and I've found is that: Phillipines, Netherlands, Canada and Greece are nine countries. Not sure if it's true. There should be more!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Yes I'm a 9. It's good, but there are actually different personalities here, but the overall feel and aura of Philippines is 9, very welcoming and accommodating. There is also a strong 1 flavor to it.

Yeah there are some advantages and disadvantages of being a 9 country. One disadvantage is avoiding being a risk-taker, an innovator. Historically, it took 333 years before Philippines gained independence, because of overdependence and inability to challenge the authority. A Type 8 Filipino hero started to fight the Spaniards to death and that has inspired many Filipinos to make a change. And one of the advantages is, foreigners like to come here so often because we are very welcoming, friendly, accommodating, hospitable. And one more thing about Philippines' similarity to Type 9 is the diffused personality or should I say lack of personality. It has no solid personality unlike other Asian countries. A Type 9 personality is a combination of all of the other 8 types in enneagram. Philippines share both Western and Eastern culture.

Yeah, I've read that Canada is the best place to stay according to expats. Where did you find out about other 9 countries?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I live in England and I wouldn't say it's particularly good nor not good to be a nine here. I think I saw on here somewhere that England would be mainly 5, 6 or 1. I can see that I think that often things are a little fast paced here. I live in a city (Birmingham) and find comfort in the anonymity of being amongst so many people. I go to University in a quieter town and feel more exposed there. I think I stress less than a lot of other English folk. I also don't really feel a sense of cultural identity. This might just be me, however. I'm not sure whether I just don't see the point in patriotism or whether I just don't fit England / GB enough to support them like that. Either way I'm not interested in supporting our sports teams, our monarchy, wearing a union Jack / English flag, singing our national anthem (or any of of the other Brit songs like Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory etc.

BUT Brits are particularly known for their passive aggressiveness and apologetic nature. Here, if someone steps on your toe YOU apologise to THEM. And don't even think about jumping the queue - we value our queue system very highly and if you dare jump in line we'll passive aggressively glare at the back of your head, haha! I think the attitude that you can solve everything with a cup of tea is quite nineish as well. :p

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Yes I'm a 9. It's good, but there are actually different personalities here, but the overall feel and aura of Philippines is 9, very welcoming and accommodating. There is also a strong 1 flavor to it.

Yeah there are some advantages and disadvantages of being a 9 country. One disadvantage is avoiding being a risk-taker, an innovator. Historically, it took 333 years before Philippines gained independence, because of overdependence and inability to challenge the authority. A Type 8 Filipino hero started to fight the Spaniards to death and that has inspired many Filipinos to make a change. And one of the advantages is, foreigners like to come here so often because we are very welcoming, friendly, accommodating, hospitable. And one more thing about Philippines' similarity to Type 9 is the diffused personality or should I say lack of personality. It has no solid personality unlike other Asian countries. A Type 9 personality is a combination of all of the other 8 types in enneagram. Philippines share both Western and Eastern culture.

Yeah, I've read that Canada is the best place to stay according to expats. Where did you find out about other 9 countries?
And also, added to that, we have had dictators and exploitative, greedy rulers, and the people united themselves to overthrow the ruler. We call it People Power and this is a kind of revolution that has no bloodshed. A peaceful revolution wherein you don't have to take someone's life violently in order to make a positive change for the nation.

The person who overthrown the dictator with the help of the people, and who become the next president had won Nobel Peace Prize, and since then, this country has been a model for other countries when it comes to peaceful protests.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hey. I remember,I've seen some dispute abote Netherlands in this thread personalitycafe.com/articles/132705-enneagram-types-contemporary-countries-2
It's actually really hard to find ANY infomration about nationality=mentality=enneagram...About Greece, I remeber someone at this forum saying that Greece is 9, and I've just been reading about modern Greece a few articles and it kind of looks ninish, and their modern problems can be 9 too...

I've lived in Israel for 5 years and I've seen so much much Philipine man and woman going to Israel and working at hard, badly payed jobs, It made me thought there are eceonomical problems in Phillipines...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in England and I wouldn't say it's particularly good nor not good to be a nine here. I think I saw on here somewhere that England would be mainly 5, 6 or 1. I can see that I think that often things are a little fast paced here. I live in a city (Birmingham) and find comfort in the anonymity of being amongst so many people. I go to University in a quieter town and feel more exposed there. I think I stress less than a lot of other English folk. I also don't really feel a sense of cultural identity. This might just be me, however. I'm not sure whether I just don't see the point in patriotism or whether I just don't fit England / GB enough to support them like that. Either way I'm not interested in supporting our sports teams, our monarchy, wearing a union Jack / English flag, singing our national anthem (or any of of the other Brit songs like Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory etc.

BUT Brits are particularly known for their passive aggressiveness and apologetic nature. Here, if someone steps on your toe YOU apologise to THEM. And don't even think about jumping the queue - we value our queue system very highly and if you dare jump in line we'll passive aggressively glare at the back of your head, haha! I think the attitude that you can solve everything with a cup of tea is quite nineish as well. :p
Oh God, I had so much probles with that right now. I live in Moscow, but I study in a british university, and my teacher and curators are british and they drive me mad sometimes with this one-ish passive agression and I should say they love rules, they enjoy rules so much they would marry it. My curator is eight with this british one-ish flavour so I'm living the couse and moving to russian curator beacause I just can't take it anymore. Well, anyway it's more about him being 8, than british...

I think you still have a lot of nines in Britain? I have one nine british teacher and really love him, he's the funniest and nicest man on earth.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am from the Netherlands and I believe that as far as living there as a nine goes, it could be much worse. Even if we often can not escape international pressures and turmoils we still maintain our own character and in general do not easily allow the world to drive us crazy. We have a slight tendency towards neutrality but that has been much less pronounced since the last world war. We tend to shave off the sharpest edges of capitalism though we are not able to escape the whole of it.

Life for a nine is never easy, but as a nine you could do far worse than living in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am from the Netherlands and I believe that as far as living there as a nine goes, it could be much worse. Even if we often can not escape international pressures and turmoils we still maintain our own character and in general do not easily allow the world to drive us crazy. We have a slight tendency towards neutrality but that has been much less pronounced since the last world war. We tend to shave off the sharpest edges of capitalism though we are not able to escape the whole of it.

Life for a nine is never easy, but as a nine you could do far worse than living in the Netherlands.
So you wouldn't recomend moving to Netherlands?

And, by the way, always wanted to know, I've heard a lot that dutch people are extremly straightforward, they say what they think. That really doesn't fit into nine type, how can it be?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts