Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally dislike cooking. I don't really like messing with raw materials, and I tend to zone out because standing over dishes (observing, stirring, adding ingredients) bores me, and then things burn a bit. My favoured (least bothersome) method of cooking is in the oven - the most passive form.
I prefer to buy (healthy, not junk food) prepared foods. I have some food allergies which does make it easier to prepare from scratch, but I still do so minimally. How about you? Do you enjoy cooking?

Reactions: ponpiri

·
Registered
962 Posts
Oh my gosh, I LOVE cooking!

Now, it does take some time, but since it gives me the control over how healthy my food is (and usually saves me money), I'd say it's well worth it. Plus, it tastes better knowing that it's the result of hard work. :proud:

I like to experiment too, and I've had some flops over the years, but I've also had some major successes.

I keep an excel spreadsheet of recipes that I have tried and want to keep, and on another spreadsheet I keep recipes that I want to try.

There are so many delicious recipes from all around the world, and I love to mix things up. I currently have about 70 dinner recipes that I've loved and decided to keep.

I grew up watching the FOOD Network and I'm amazed that I didn't stain the floor where I used to sit from all the drooling I did :drooling::laughing:.

And I love cooking for people and seeing their face when they enjoy my food! It's one of the most satisfying things in the world for me!

I think the best food is made with love and creativity. :joyous:

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
I love cooking. At first, it started as basic skill meant to satisfy a vital need. In time, I’ve become increasingly proficient at it. In fact, my repertoire nowadays includes several complex dishes / desserts / beverages.

·
Banned
619 Posts
I personally dislike cooking. I don't really like messing with raw materials, and I tend to zone out because standing over dishes (observing, stirring, adding ingredients) bores me, and then things burn a bit. My favoured (least bothersome) method of cooking is in the oven - the most passive form.
I prefer to buy (healthy, not junk food) prepared foods. I have some food allergies which does make it easier to prepare from scratch, but I still do so minimally. How about you? Do you enjoy cooking?
No. Like you, I find cooking boring. If I could take care of my body's needs with just a handful of pills a day, I would. In addition, eating has virtually never been a social thing for me. Not growing up and not now. A dinner for two can be nice in a decent eatery and with the right kind of company, but even then, I would rather not cook it myself. I can, just do not enjoy it.

I try to live in places where I can afford to eat out almost exclusively. Healthy, decent food. Veg(etari)an where possible, otherwise I'll have some seafood.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I hate cooking and am terrible at it. I can't read a recipe. "Whisk until fluffy." It's a fuckin edible mixture, not a teddy bear, IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE FLUFFY, I DOn"T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SAY.

"Cook until golden."

There are so many kinds of gold (also, you probably mean light brown), GIVE ME A SPECIFIC HEX COLOUR NUMBER.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I've only recently started to pick it up as as hobby and I've found it rather enjoyable.

I found that the art of combining ingredients in order to make more advanced and enjoyable flavours appeals greatly to me.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
From 13 yrs old, I would cook for my dad and myself after school as part of my chores and when it came to family get-togethers, usually I was the only one to volunteer to help with food prep. So I do enjoy it on some level, especially food prep.

Now that I'm living on my own [sorta] I kind of despise it. Some of this has to do with being tired from working long hours, but most of it is a direct result of living with a filthy slob that doesn't clean the kitchen after he's done or clean the refrigerator even though mold and gnats are living in his food..

When I do feel like cooking something, I'll do it on a Saturday or Sunday after a deep cleaning. Usually a meal that will last for almost two-week's worth of lunch. I don't eat much meat, so it's easy to buy prepared meat and then cook a variety of vegetables on the side. The drive to cook nice meals comes back when I live in a place with a nice, clean kitchen.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do not. Basically for the same reasons that you listed. I dislike eating ready-meals though, so it's a great bonus if someone cooks my food for me.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
I enjoy cooking. I like playing around with ingredients as well, so I can get a bit creative with it. I enjoy baking and cooking very large dinners the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like cooking. Experimenting in the kitchen is interesting and and even better when the result is delicious. I'm not into prepared food. I like to know what I am eating and ready meals are often expensive.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm not sure if this is directed to intjs only, but because it didnt say so, i will post mine. Haha :)

I think my answer is both yes and no. Yes because i enjoy "exploring", if you will. I like trying out new things. It makes it easier for me to do now because of my new "healthier" lifestyle :) I am on my journey to living a healthy life :)

No because i do not really enjoy "mundane" stuff. I don't like doing routinary or ordinary things. That being said, i don't like defrosting foods, chopping meats and vegetables, etc. I just want to experiment with the flavors and eat healthy.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't hate cooking but I'm rather lazy at it. I like to buy premarinated stuff that I just need to throw in the oven 20mins and it's ready. I don't really like having to do half an hour of preparation before finally starting the cooking process. I don't eat junk food and I count my calories but cooking is generally a bit too time consuming for me.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I love to cook. It is a creative act, useful, and you get to eat it at the end! I like taking a basic recipe, figuring out how and why it is done like that, and then experimenting using different ingredients and quantities.

I usually feel like I am at war with myself. I guess my functions don't get along very well. But they all approve of cooking. My loose,creative side (Ni)has fun recognizing patterns and trying things out; my practical analytical side (Te) likes the analysis and practicality of it. Fi approves this as a morally upright act, and Se is in heaven with all the sensory stimulation.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
BTW, these are some of the things I like cooking:

Dishes​

• Baked lamb
  • Cheese fondue
  • Chicken kebab
  • Couscous with olives and herbs
  • Dolma (stuffed aubergine)
  • Falafel
  • Fish stew
  • Fried fish
  • Huevos haminados (brown eggs)
  • Lamb burgers
  • Marinated fish
  • Raw kibbeh
  • Tamarind-stewed meatballs

Desserts​

• Bimuelos (sweet fritters)
  • Charoseth (paste made with nuts, fruits, sweeteners and spices)
  • Coffee mousse
  • Fazuelos (pastries)
  • Mansanada (boiled and spiced apples)

Beverages

• Almond milk with rosewater
  • Limonana (lemonade with spearmint)
  • Raki (anise-flavoured spirit) with grapefruit juice
  • Spiced red wine
  • Turkish coffee

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Cooking creatively for the pleasure & nourishment of humans I like: I love it.

Cooking just for me: suddenly it feels like a massive waste of time.

Since it's usually just me, it's Keto diet with Sous Vide cooking all the way (take the already sealed meat out of the freezer, throw it in the water bath, walk away. Sometime eventually when I recall I'm hungry, go fish it out -- no overcooking/burning possible, no standing, no dishes). It's a fine line between being highly systematized for maximum efficiency and lazy :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No. Like you, I find cooking boring. If I could take care of my body's needs with just a handful of pills a day, I would. In addition, eating has virtually never been a social thing for me. Not growing up and not now. A dinner for two can be nice in a decent eatery and with the right kind of company, but even then, I would rather not cook it myself. I can, just do not enjoy it.

I try to live in places where I can afford to eat out almost exclusively. Healthy, decent food. Veg(etari)an where possible, otherwise I'll have some seafood.
I grew up in a small family, and there was great love of fruits and vegetables so we ate a lot of salads (easy to make, no 'cooking' required). There was always plenty of food, but it was part of life as in nourishment (and self-enjoyment if you like to eat, which I do). My family gathered around books or art, so cooking and eating are to this day not particularly social for me. In good company (one, two people at most) dinner can be very nice, I agree. On the topic of sea-food - I love fish. They are easy to prepare in the oven and they smell and taste wonderful to me.

Reactions: Asmodaeus

·
Banned
601 Posts
I can also sing the praises of cooking, as the activity is rewarding. Enjoying the sensation of cooking, is something that also resonates with me.. the bubbles of a stew with aromas spiraling around the kitchen, the peculiar sounds when something unexpected but welcome happens, and above all the experimentation with different flavors. I am also a staunch believer in the fact that the more effort and "love" you put in your cooking, the more good it will be for your body (relatively speaking). Playing around with patterns is also fun, as each flavour has its own distinct characteristic. In short, is there anything in cooking that you cannot like?

Oh yes, the cleaning up the dishes afterwards, much to my detriment.

Reactions: Smile_phantomhive

·
Banned
619 Posts
Oh yes, the cleaning up the dishes afterwards, much to my detriment.
Washing dishes is the only part of cooking I do enjoy.

I also enjoy cleaning, and generally keeping my living quarters well organised. I wonder if that contributes to my dislike of cooking - it creates a mess. I find messy pots and pans bothersome, so I wash every dish as soon as I am done using it. Even while cooking. A tad OCDish, mayhap.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts