Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I write poetry...
And apparently, my thinking side balances out the raw emotions so it doesn't come out sounding like garbled nonsense when I'm done, and I get to vent on paper instead of freaking out and having people look down on me.

But that doesn't always work...
My usual response is to excuse myself from wherever I am and go somewhere by myself and just freak out then come back like nothing happened.

I've tried saying how I feel about this... but I just get the impression that I'm talking my way around it - like I'm giving a lecture on what the response I felt myself having was. It sucks. Because I don't feel like I'm being sincere even though I know I'm not lying or stretching the truth or anything like that.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Lol I normally don't express my emotions; If I happen to be having a day full of feeling(very rare) I work out until exhaustion. Working out typically makes me forget whatever emotions I might have been feeling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is a really good book that explains how the different 16 types deal with their inferior functions (Fe in the case of INTPs) when we are under stress.

Apparently when we are under a lot of stress we loose our logical superpowers, and take irrational decisions when emotion overwhelmed us.

I think this book really hits the nail in the head it's called Was that really me? by Naomi L. Quenk, Look for the page 121.

There is a thread on this forum, started by an INFJ guy that has most of what is said in the book for INTPs check it out.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I analyse the hell out of them. Why am I feeling this? Is it good that I'm feeling this? If not, how do I get rid of it? If I can't get rid of it logically, I ignore it. So, "cope" isn't the best word to apply to how I deal with emotions.

For example, to determine if I have feelings for someone, the thought process usually goes something like this:
1. Is it just physical attraction? Probably.
2. Why do you like them? I don't know, but it feels funny.
3. Assuming reciprocation, would you want to date them? Maybe.
4. Is reciprocation likely? No.
5. Will you tell them or ignore it? Are you out of your mind? I'm going to ignore it!
6. Will you ever ask anybody out? Jeez, just get off my back already.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I analyse the hell out of them. Why am I feeling this? Is it good that I'm feeling this? If not, how do I get rid of it? If I can't get rid of it logically, I ignore it. So, "cope" isn't the best word to apply to how I deal with emotions.

For example, to determine if I have feelings for someone, the thought process usually goes something like this:
5. Will you tell them or ignore it? Are you out of your mind? I'm going to ignore it!
That's literally what I use my best friend for. I tell her what I'm thinking based on a situation and she takes away the trouble of my having to figure out 'what is this', and 'should I be feeling this?'

As far as that thought process for a love interest? Been there!!! Get out of my head ><

·
Registered
856 Posts
That's literally what I use my best friend for. I tell her what I'm thinking based on a situation and she takes away the trouble of my having to figure out 'what is this', and 'should I be feeling this?'

As far as that thought process for a love interest? Been there!!! Get out of my head ><
I don't like talking to people about that stuff. It makes me feel .. exposed, I guess. I don't even know. I just want to be left alone when sorting through things. I'm aware of bias in my thoughts, so I don't think I'm too bad at judging my own situations impartially.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Round about the time I joined PerC, I had a lot of strange emotions whizzing about. I can't quite recall if I explored MBTI stuff because I needed help or if discovering MBTI stuff triggered soul-searching. I do know that talking it out and reading up on being an INTP taught me a lot about coping with my emotions.

Now, I'm both less AND more emotional than I was previously. I'm less emotional in the sense that my feelings have never been so extreme as they were two years ago. Before that, I always had problems with bottling up my emotions, and it just got to the point where I had to confront my unhealthy behaviour head-on. It was a massive struggle, and I don't know if I'll ever experience something like it in the future, because the result of it was knowing how to vent about my emotions as they happened, instead of letting all my problems build up until I have a meltdown.

I'm more emotional in the sense that making sure I vent means I'm pretty much 'feeling' something all the time. I might have been afraid of emotions before, because I didn't understand them, but I now see them as useful and as something to be encouraged. I seem to cry waaaaaay more often than a lot of people on here. I actually really enjoy it. I find it to be a great release, and 99% of the time I feel better after having a wee weepy session in my room.

Huh. I kinda went off at a tangent there.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I think emotions should be embraced. Pretending they don't exist, IMO, does more harm than good. Keeping a journal really helps me. I don't write in it on a regular basis, and I don't restrict each entry to a typical 'dear diary' structure - it could be anything from a 6-page ramble to a quickly and angrily scribbled, "FUCK EVERYTHING" in amongst a mess of doodles and sketches.

Journalling isn't the only way to vent, though. There's talking to a friend, ranting on the internet and, the angst-ridden-teen favourite, screaming into a pillow. Words aren't always necessary. Sometimes making art or doing some sort of physical activity can be a way of helping you cope.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Prerequisite knowledge: The only time my emotions may become strong enough to have to "cope" is when dealing with other people.

In order to cope (read: escape, forget about, and otherwise destroy) my emotions, I usually just run away from my problem. After an interaction with another person that ends up going differently than planned (either for the positive or negative), it is not out of character for me to never make an effort to speak to them again. When people are no longer a part of my every day life, I don't make an effort to contact them unless absolutely necessary. The previously described scenarios are ones that would happen with friends. My family is different, of course. They know not to come near me with their messy, disgusting "feelings."

Healthy, I know. I'm a wicked unhealthy INTP. Let's just not worry about it, okay?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I used to ignore it until it went away, but these days i'm trying to fix that and confront my issues. However, if i'm really emotionally stressed I can go through a number of reactions. They range from anger to depression, to complete and utter detachment from the world for a while.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

My answers are slightly different, but the thought processes are very close. And this ladies and gentlemen, is why an INTP/INTP relationship is so unlikely to happen.

·
Banned
649 Posts
If I can, I would move to a quiet, private place (preferably my room) when I feel like I'm about to explode from the emotions. I usually try to make myself cry so that I can ride out the storm of sadness and get over my emotions quickly. Crying definitely helps me feel better even though it doesn't actually solve anything. After the cry, I usually decide to eat, work out, or draw and from there I forget about why I even felt horrible in the first place.

If I'm stuck in public and feel angry, I try my best to stuff the anger inside me and let it out later when I get home. Unless I can't hold my emotions back, I try to keep myself calm and composed around others. The last thing I want to do is break down in front of people. It is very embarrassing and it has happened before.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
If I can, I would move to a quiet, private place (preferably my room) when I feel like I'm about to explode from the emotions. I usually try to make myself cry so that I can ride out the storm of sadness and get over my emotions quickly. Crying definitely helps me feel better even though it doesn't actually solve anything. After the cry, I usually decide to eat, work out, or draw and from there I forget about why I even felt horrible in the first place.

If I'm stuck in public and feel angry, I try my best to stuff the anger inside me and let it out later when I get home. Unless I can't hold my emotions back, I try to keep myself calm and composed around others. The last thing I want to do is break down in front of people. It is very embarrassing and it has happened before.
While working out, try channeling your emotions into anger. It gives you a better workout (thus getting in better shape), and if you exhaust yourself enough, there is nothing left for emotions. That method worked pretty well for me, anyway.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't like talking to people about that stuff. It makes me feel .. exposed, I guess. I don't even know. I just want to be left alone when sorting through things. I'm aware of bias in my thoughts, so I don't think I'm too bad at judging my own situations impartially.
I know what you mean and I get like that sometimes. But a majority of the time I just go to her when I have questions -- she's known me for almost a decade so I'm comfortable with her knowing all that stuff about me.
The thing is, I used to just bottle things up and 'sort them out' in my head and that just made me spiral into a dark place. So now, I just vent to the people I know and trust.

·
&#40656;&#32218; ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Build up of emotions? Seems like you need a replacement feelings filter, a cork for your tear ducts, and a gasket change.

Swing on by the repair shop and we'll get you tuned away in a jiffy.

Before I forget, we are unable to accept Whiner's Insurance at this time.

They're apparently being sued ... something about an assessment of manipulative damages lawsuit.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So my dear fellow INTPs,
how do you cope when you become emotional about something?

For me it really messes up my Ti, makes me insecure, etc.

So how do you express emotions exactly? ;)
I go through phases where i express them way too often and overwhelm people but then i don't express them at all. Depending on the emotion, I can get pretty intense or not at all. It really depends on whether i have deemed the emotional reaction appropriate or inappropriate given the circumstances. If i think my feelings are way off base then i will ignore them. If I have actively embraced my emotional reactions then i can pretty excited. It is important to recognize your feelings though, I think INTPs tend to not give their feelings enough value.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The Three Stages to Emotional Meltdown in BUs!

Stage 1: Passive aggressively deal with it!
Stage 2: Suddenly start crying about it and freak out parents and (maybe) close friends!
Stage 3: DESTROY EVERYTHING.

I usually just go to Stage 1, and usually whatever it was either goes away or builds to Stage 2.
After passive aggressiveness doesn't work, the buildup of everything just gets to me and then the sobbing begins! This has happened maybe 10-20 times in the last 10 years, most of them being concentrated in the past year or so. I blame being a teenager. XD
There have been a few times (maybe two or three?) where I got to Stage 3. Most of them being concentrated from ages 2-4, and the latest one being... last week.
YAY! GO HORMONES! :dry:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.