Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm a true ISFP. A trendsetter. People are usually asking me where I get the things I wear. My INFP friend (male) is the one that asks me for advice, or visits sites like style.com to put together outfits.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I aspire to certain looks I guess, like if I see someone in a film who has a nice look I might replicate that so maybe I fall into the trap of copycat :unsure:. I do have my own style too, and try to be different from the typical; it's just I enjoy seeing what clothes look good together.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If I see a certain habit/way of doing something that I like, I'll incorporate it into my life, but not with the intent of copying another person. I'll adopt different habits if I find them more practical or the results more beautiful than my original ways, or it brings me joy.

Anon, it sounds like your friend may have taken copying too far. . . is there maybe some underlying issue? Perhaps she feels insecure with who she is, and worries no one will accept her if she reveals her true self? Maybe she looks up to you, sees you are confident and accepted by others, and is using your ways as a guideline on how to act?

Is there some way you could help boost your friend's confidence to bring her out of her shell? I'm just worried that she may pull away if you try to directly confront her about it.

Anyone else's thoughts on this?
Hi letsride :)

Thanks for your input... and you know what, it's not that ISFPs copy, I mean, anyone can be inspired by others and incorporate similarities with others in their own lives. My ISFJ mother loves to acquire ideas from the external world and try to mould it in her own life, but it's just ideas and not an exact picture. My ISTJ brother loves to compare his own opinions and ideas with others and if you can beat him in his own game, you'll find that he'll incorporate your values in his life somewhat. My ENFJ best friend is copied as well as copies others and is open about it. So what's the deal with ISFPs? I dunno, it seems as if they make it apparent that they have taken ideas from elsewhere and it may SEEM like (not that it is the case) they've marked it as their own work, if you know what I mean. This may be true about a lot of people... but anyway...

I think that may be it, about my friend. She has had self-esteem issues and is constantly trying different things out NOT only in the clothes department. I thought it would be good to tell her how I'm feeling but then I already considered it's a matter not for confrontation -- in fact, I'm not wanting to confront her, I'm wanting to just let her know and be open to her reasons. At the moment I am attempting to rebuild our communication so that eventually I can get to the side of her that needs a booster of confidence... we'll see what happens. I was just wondering if it's a normal thing with ISFPs to copy or be similar if they feel very close to somebody?

I'm a true ISFP. A trendsetter. People are usually asking me where I get the things I wear. My INFP friend (male) is the one that asks me for advice, or visits sites like style.com to put together outfits.
That's advice though. I mean, I know an ENTJ that also likes asking his ISFP buddies advice on phones, clothes and cars. I also think ISFPs are reliable when it comes to "what's happening", I have also inquired my ISFPs about certain things, I love their suggestions! :laughing: It's a matter of convenience or creating a look in situations as such.

I aspire to certain looks I guess, like if I see someone in a film who has a nice look I might replicate that so maybe I fall into the trap of copycat :unsure:. I do have my own style too, and try to be different from the typical; it's just I enjoy seeing what clothes look good together.
Don't worry, you're not the only one. I think it's okay to be inspired :happy:

Reactions: Raindrops

·
Registered
64 Posts
In the past 5-6? years I've been involved in creating new cultural contributions where I live. This has to do with starting private groups, websites, and movements and helping define the original shape, perspective, style or voice. It has to do with suggesting and carrying out how something could really work and reach people and appeal to them and be sustainable. These have not been earth-shattering, just small things here and there. And I was right, it did work.

I'm no longer a part of that stuff. Others are doing it now, they're running it. I'm not really interested in running anything permanently, it's not my style.

Anyway, I haven't always been credited in a way that is respecting and acknowledging. In fact, at times I've been sorta derided. :sad:

Looking back, I think people needed to say something bad in order to justify "taking over." However, like I say, I don't really want to run things anyway. So they don't hafta plot a takeover, or justify a power struggle, cuz I mean, they can have it.

I just like to make something and let it happen and see everyone enjoy how cool it is. I have opinions about what will work and how to do it, regarding the original direction, but no deep views beyond that. I don't get my whole identity from being in charge or from running something.

I need to move on and repeat the phenomenon.

So I've noticed there's more community options as a result of what I've said, done and created. I made a difference. I'm usually not identified as co-founder, co-creator, co-incubator, co-initiator, co-director. Or if I am, it's kinda tight-lipped praise, or might even be with a negative whisper. It's gotten to be sort of a drag.

In the past year I've taken a giant step back. I need to re-evaluate so that when I leave it's more clear about what I did (ISFP modesty has hurt me), so that it's more widely known that I'm capable and talented, and so that there's not any weird misinformation.

It seems that having a core group of supportive friends/witnesses is key. But being so introverted, and moving a few times, it hasn't happened.

The stage of life I'm in, is that I'm older and with some health issues. It seems that in the projects I've been in, I meet a lot of older women with health issues and other issues of their own. I don't always have the level patience and quick thinking with others like when I was young and perfect, hah, as if, right! :blushed: I can't see as easily how to say things that are quickly diffusing and building ease and building "coalition." That skill has changed. And my memory has changed so I don't remember the 7 things that "prove" or resolve something in my favor and on time.

A group of friends who can vouch instead of compete with me, wow, that's the ticket.

I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing as the copy cat problem. But it speaks to themes like theft, identity and ownership.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
How do ISFPs feel about copying the style of another and putting it across as their own?
Copying!? NEVER!

Unless you mean unintentionally adopting the personality someone as Kathryne said.
Then yeah I suppose it happens... I'm not sure how though! It sometimes frustrates me.

But as for anything else - No Way.
I about threw Eragon in the pool when I read it because of how unoriginal it was. And I would have too if it didnt belong to a friend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally, I really hate the feeling I get about copying. Like, I'll be struggling and trying really hard to come up with an idea that's all my own but I'll naturally start to pull things from other people's work; I just do it really easily. But I hate it! I don't want use something else, I want to come up with my own stuff and have it be really cool and amazing...and from me.

However I feel more and more as if true originality is unattainable. I keep hearing about how a piece of art was modeled after something another person did, or how an idea I thought was creatively dreamed up and crafted purely by itself was heavily influenced by events that happened to its creator. Granted, both the art and the idea will be freaking awesome but their origins aren't what I assumed. I'll come away thinking "You got that from that?"

So even though I don't like copying, I feel originality is not coming up with an idea purely on your own but allowing yourself to be moderately inspired by nature/other people's work/people/circumstances/etc. while striving to...I don't know, come up with something new. Don't just take things from somewhere else and slap them into your own work. Gosh I really suck $&% at putting this into words.

“If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” - Isaac Newton

Even though you might get an idea from nature (or anything that isn't someone else's work), that probably isn't what most people call "copying," or at least not the type that you would get flak for. But the resulting idea isn't 100% original; you needed help getting it and you got it from nature/an event/etc.

EDIT: #$%&, I dunno where I was going with this...I think this is a useless post...

·
Registered
751 Posts
^It's not useless! I feel like that a lot of times after I submit a post, too. Like "what did I actually say there?"

I also hate copying. I remember in school people would try to copy my handwriting, or the things I made in art (not that I'm a super artist, but I had some original ideas) and it's the one thing that would get me really mad, almost enraged. That part of me could also be the 4 in me talking though - sometimes I like being the odd one out.

For this reason, I wouldn't copy anyone else's work or use their ideas without their permission.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Sopris I really liked your post, it's not useless at all! I agree with what you said abt being inspired by nature or what someone else did. And I agree with you when you suggested maybe we can't always be 100% original anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the feeling after i write something that i shouldn't be saying it, or that it doesn't make sense, or that it's useless and undesirable. i especially believed that after writing the jumble of words on post #24 of this thread.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:Are all INTP's this way?

In my experience, they are instigators.

When it comes to being copy cats... yes, the term copy cat is a tad insulting to some - especially those that value creativity. But, I think it is important to consider that in the past most of the great artists, including Picasso, learned by copying other great masters in order to learn the technique and skill needed to paint well (and perhaps to also get more fulfillment when he broke all of the rules later!)

Musicians learn to play other people's music. They are encouraged to play classical music in the way that the composer intended. But, the GOOD performing musicians will add more to it than just what is on the page. Individuality is encourage, but it is controlled by certain limits (most likely set by someone who is not an ISFP). Accomplished composers generally learn the rules of music theory and composition first and then proceed to change it as they see fit.

I think when you see a personality that fits ISFP that seems to be a copy cat in an incredibly obvious way, it is very possible that they are simply in the infant stage of their creative process. If we aren't beaten down by the more aggressive personality types and can keep our confidence/ self esteem levels high enough, we will eventually get to the point where we will make it our own.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a ISFP friend who copied everything I did. (Style--I'm not even kidding--or the way I'll sit in a chair. :shocked:) It was cute at first, but then it got initially annoying....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello

I've an ISFP friend for a little over a year, we've got along, I love her free flowing nature and artsy-ness.
But we don't talk much anymore, not because we're holding a grudge, but there is a slight discomfort :unsure:

I have noticed she imitates the phrases I use, my choice of words, my thoughts that I express, my choices and tastes to quite an extent, but tends to conceal it. The more she's done that the more I tried to turn the other direction so that we don't get compared, but she finds me eventually. It got frustrating in all honesty and I've sort of drawn back from our chats lately... although I say hi and we have a couple of good conversations but that's about it. I haven't gotten around to telling her I feel she's imitating me as she may take it the wrong way and feel sensitive? How do you point it out?

I am guessing ISFPs do this whenever they feel close to somebody as a friend? Should I let it be and tell her how I feel I'm being imitated?
Oh ahah how I was in this exact situation a year ago. I really liked my ISFP friend but it was getting odd after awhile

·
Registered
677 Posts
If I admire someone else for some quality that they have, and aspire to be just as good if not better than them, then, yes, I can be a copy cat. But I don't just copy other people for the sake of copying other people. If someone else compares me to someone that I dislike or don't aspire to be like, then I get offended.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'm confident enough in who I am and what's me and mine that I don't need to steal someone else's style or ideas, or try to either fit in or stick out with something that isn't mine. Integrity is important. And I value individuality. Generally, I am either the total oddball, doing my thing, or occasionally trendsetter. Thing is, I'm willing to experiment, and to experiment on myself, so I often do things that aren't common, because I don't have fear over how it will be perceived. Sometimes it turns out plain weird, and people stare at me weird for a while. Other time it turns out awesome, and suddenly, everyone else will be doing the same, getting rid of fear of failure.

I do take inspiration from others, and integrate things, but as facets, and from a diverse sources. I don't want to be a copy of someone. And I generally acknowledge my sources too. If I get complimented on something that I have have because of someone else, I'll say "Thanks! I've seen XY wearing this piece of clothing, and I loved it, so when I saw this similar thing, I got it." Mostly though I'm original, and the one being copied.
The other thing I do though, is adopt phrases people use sometimes, if I love them. Not the complete style of someone, but odd bits here and there, to brighten up my vocabulary.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
This thread reminds me about "individualism". Is it really that when everyone starts doing and wearing the same things?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
This thread reminds me about "individualism". Is it really that when everyone starts doing and wearing the same things?
Only the first person is an individual in such a case. All the others are a crowd/trend. But I'm not going to stop doing things just because everyone else started to, am I? If I'd do that, I'd also be subject to the dynamics of the group, even if I always go in the opposite direction. Being a rebel against mainstream is in a way also going by mass dynamics.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
" - Everyone is an individual! Everyone can choose! Everyone can think and have an opinion!"
Then everyone is individual, making the same choices, having same opinions, thinking about the same things. And they still say "Individualism ftw!" when asked about anything.

Marvellous trends. They're funny.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
" - Everyone is an individual! Everyone can choose! Everyone can think and have an opinion!"
Then everyone is individual, making the same choices, having same opinions, thinking about the same things. And they still say "Individualism ftw!" when asked about anything.

Marvellous trends. They're funny.

There's inspiration and there's imitation. Two totally different things. I've never straight up copied anything or anyone, but I've definitely felt inspired by a specific style or medium.

That said I've had friends who would copy everything I did/made and it annoyed the shit out of me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Pretty much what a lot of people here said.

In school, I had my own way of dressing and always found ways to stand out and be different. I noticed a pattern where I would start wearing something that nobody else would be wearing and then a year or two would pass and EVERYONE would be wearing it. It annoyed me profusely, but deep inside I felt a sense of pride because I knew I wore it first. :proud:

I even love finding ways to reuse things and making them into something new. I am influenced by the external world around me, but who isn't to some degree? All the great innovators have been inspired by all kinds of outside sources too. I have folders upon folders of anything that intrigues me and gives me ideas. And I even can concoct an entirely new idea from my head too! Who would've thunk?

Judging from the OP's type and post, I'm assuming he believes S's aren't capable of being original and creative. Being an intuitive doesn't mean you are a special snowflake and an innovator. I am extremely tired of this sensor bias. Cognitive functions are just how a person thinks. However, I will say that the combo of Fi-Se-Ni can make us all mystical and shit. You should come check out our art gallery every once in a while and you can see for yourself the art we can produce. :wink:

You have the freewill to do something great. Stop being jealous that us ISFPs make glorious works of art (or are even works of art ourselves because we are awesome.) :kitteh:

***Oh wait. Just checked and realized the OP hasn't been active in over a year. And since he is an INTP, he probably made this post just to get a rise out of us...and it worked. Oh well, moving along now...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts