Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am referring to Disorders of Mental Illness as outlined in the DSM-IV-TR.

I'm sure there are many theories and perhaps some existing publications, but what do people on this site think?
I'm really good with the Mental Illness topic, but not some much with the MBTI topic, that's where I need help.

But, with my little knowledge, I think that Axis II Personality Disorders are more likely to be linked with NTs and NFs.

As for Axis I Disorders, maybe concerning Schizophrenia, there is a link between the sensing and thinking functions.

I don't know, just some thoughts!

·
Registered
45 Posts
i know that INTPs are frequent among people dubbed "schizoid." reading a description of the schizoid personality is like reading my own biography, making me quizzical upon whether or not it could possibly be a personality disorder, or merely a bunch of extroverted feelers trying explain our differences as disability.

also, "schizotypal" disorders are frequent among INTJs, the difference between the two diseases being a lack of interest in social environment (schizoid), versus a dislike of it (schizotypal).

what really confuses me about these "diseases," is the fact that it specifically is noted that these people have feelings and are only uncomfortable in expression of them. so they're mentally ill because they are emotionally shy!!
it even takes it a step further, stating that in both diseases, these people may be outwardly extroverted and feeling, but it is merely a mask they take on to be around people (although they don't see socializing as important) to better fit into society. so they simply are introverted!

another correlation i have seen is between ESFP and obsessive compulsion. the mix between their external sensing and their feeling makes them prone to wanting the world around them aesthetically organized.

i know little about the correlation between other illnesses and MBTI, but JJMTBC, please keep me informed if you find any other information. :)
love, bluemu

·
Registered
703 Posts
Interesting topic

Let me start with my type, ESTPs are adrenaline junkies and are going to frequently going to get in trouble for addictive behavior: gambling, drugs, sex, food.

One of the problems with mental illness is that people go to extremes with it. People get physical ailments all the time and get better. I think mental ailments and improvements occur even more often than physical ones, so the term mentally ill has extremely negative and IMO undeserved connotations. It is a shame to see how much money in health care is thrown at the body and not the brain. That said, here is what I have observed.

Every INTP that I have met has ADD or ADHD, the symptoms just vary.

Every INFJ that I have met has OCD, the symptoms just vary. The irony was that I expected OCD to be found almost exclusively with SJs.

ENFP goes with histrionic, ENTJ with narcissism, ENFJ with dependence, INTJ with schizoid, ENTP with masochistic or self-defeating, ESFJ with borderline, ESFP (who are actually quite social) goes with antisocial personality.

I have noticed that bipolar are usually S (never met a N bipolar), and people with ADD/ADHD are usually but not always N. I suspect schizophrenics are mostly S as well, but I haven't typed anyone with schizophrenia.

I'd be really interested in seeing what others have observed on this topic as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm bipolar, possibly ADHD and have anxiety. I haven't taken the "official" type test, but I suspect I'm an INFP. From my experience with groups, hospitals and online forums there isn't one personality type who gets bipolar or a specific mental illness, but I haven't delved deep into it. My type is determines how I react to this illness. I'm interested to see if it goes farther than that.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am pretty sure the incidence of ADHD among INFP and ENFP is rather high. I am not sure if it can be reduced further than that to any one single component of the personality description. I definitely see a lot of N and P(N OR P, N AND P?) people with similar issues.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A number of years ago I was diagnosed with Dependent Personality disorder. Through time I got better. I am not sure if those are common in ISFP.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Most often my results fall into the INTP catagory but occassionally I will get the result of the INTJ. Both seem fitting.

I am diagnoised with bipolar and generalized anxiety disorder. The doctor has mentioned that he believes that I may also from PTSD.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm an ISFJ with depression/anxiety and I think that is a fairly common diagnosis for ISFJs. My daughter is an ENFP and she's been diagnosed with ADHD, inattentive type.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Every INFJ that I have met has OCD, the symptoms just vary. The irony was that I expected OCD to be found almost exclusively with SJs.
see if you meet me then Ill confuse you by not being OCD at all. I suffer very badly from axietey and neurotisim, I had de[ression but thank fully nothing to serose

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I think it's very possible that some types are more likely to be misdiagnosed with certain disorders. Actual mental illnesses and personality type don't seem to have a strong correlation, but there are many people out there being medicated for disorders that they show mild symptoms of but don't actually have. I know people who are very creative and imaginative (maybe xSFP types) who are forced to be medicated for delusions, and many people who are very high energy and easily excited (strong extroverts) who are medicated for ADHD and bipolar. I imagine most of these people have some sort of background that exaggerates their natural tendencies. I myself have been forced on bipolar and anti-anxiety medication because I couldn't handle living with my abusive-neglectful family. The doctors insisted that I had a disorder that made me feel upset and frustrated all the time, when really it was my parents.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm an INFJ with bipolar, PTSD, and severe anxiety (different specific diagnoses from different doctors).
We have been diagnoised with the same 3 disorders. Do you take medication for 1 or all of them? Currently I'm on a mood stabilizer, anti-anxiety meds and anti-deressants. I've been thinking lots about trying to go off my meds but I am scared to.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
We have been diagnoised with the same 3 disorders. Do you take medication for 1 or all of them? Currently I'm on a mood stabilizer, anti-anxiety meds and anti-deressants. I've been thinking lots about trying to go off my meds but I am scared to.
I take Zyprexa (which I hate, but it's one of the only medications to work for me) and Klonopin as needed for anxiety. I also take Ritalin LA twice a day for anxiety (though I know that's not a typical use for it). Antidepressants all either make me manic, suicidal/homicidal, physically ill, or just don't do anything at all for me:p

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
ENFP goes with histrionic... ENTP with masochistic or self-defeating, ESFJ with borderline...
I don't agree with any of these three.

ENFP definitely doesn't go with histrionic, but, rather, borderline. The description of borderline sounds just like an ENFP description. Exactly.

Histrionic would be more ESFJ (you had the ENFP/ESFJ personality disorders backwards).

ENTPs usually get matched with narcissistic personality disorder. I don't agree with the association with masochism/self-defeating at all.

On a side note, I've never met an ENFP who wasn't diagnosed with ADD.

Reactions: Shale

·
Registered
703 Posts
Histrionic would be more ESFJ (you had the ENFP/ESFJ personality disorders backwards).
You are right. I got that part backwards.

ENTPs usually get matched with narcissistic personality disorder. I don't agree with the association with masochism/self-defeating at all.
I agree that ENTPs can be narcissistic, but I personally have seen a lot of the MPD personality trait as well. The one part of MPD that I agree ENTPs don't have is, "engages in excessive self-sacrifice that is unsolicited by the intended recipients of the sacrifice." However, there is a lot of crossover with ENTP behavior if you look here, PTypes - Masochistic (Self-defeating) Personality Disorder Criteria

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I wonder if it is easy to type someone with a mental illness. I'm still not sure of my brothers.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I take Zyprexa (which I hate, but it's one of the only medications to work for me) and Klonopin as needed for anxiety. I also take Ritalin LA twice a day for anxiety (though I know that's not a typical use for it). Antidepressants all either make me manic, suicidal/homicidal, physically ill, or just don't do anything at all for me:p
Bipolar means you have excessive glutamate, mania, or sensory overload followed by a crash in glutamate levels leading to sensory deprivation. When depressed like this, people cut themselves (or worse try to kill themselves) at that point so they can feel anything.

ADD or ADHD is chronically elevated levels of glutamate due to genetically low production of dopamine, however there is not the glutamate crash as one sees with bipolar. I don't recall seeing an increase in suicide rates with ADD or ADHD. BTW, ADD chemically is just low dopamine. ADHD is low dopamine and HIGH glutamate.

So let me add up what is going on. Zyprexa is an antipsychotic that lowers serotonin. Most antipsychotics lower dopamine. Klonopin lowers glutamate. Ritalin increases dopamine levels. If it increases the dopamine to normal levels, that would lower glutamate.

So your first issues is high serotonin. That is associated with anorexia. Low serotonin is associated with bulimia. People throw up which irritates the gut causing serotonin to rise.

Then you have the classic ADHD profile of low dopamine and high glutamate.

I think you are getting a lot of diagnosis thrown your way to justify the meds you are. The bipolar diagnosis may be being used to justify the use of Zyperxa, and the PTSD one is being used to justify the Klonopin.

If I had to pick one psych disorder I would swear INFJs could not have, it is PTSD. OTOH, I think all ISFJs suffer from it to varying degrees. They are stressed about what happened to them 20 years ago as if it happened today.

This combination of problems (high serotonin/glutamate and low dopamine) is usually associated with gut brain abnormalities (celiac disease, autism, chronic bacterial or yeast overgrowth in the gut). It can also be seen with heavy metal toxicity. If you cut milk and wheat out of your diet and got more exposure to sunlight, you would probably feel a lot better.

·
Registered
989 Posts
OTOH, I think all ISFJs suffer from it (PTSD) to varying degrees. They are stressed about what happened to them 20 years ago as if it happened today.
That's funny and fairly accurate, for me anyway.

This combination of problems (high serotonin/glutamate and low dopamine) is usually associated with gut brain abnormalities (celiac disease, autism, chronic bacterial or yeast overgrowth in the gut). It can also be seen with heavy metal toxicity. If you cut milk and wheat out of your diet and got more exposure to sunlight, you would probably feel a lot better.
I have a teenager with autism and I've read the literature, been to the conferences. I'm not impressed with the scientific evidence for the casein/gluten/yeast overgrowth/leaky gut/autism associations.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a teenager with autism and I've read the literature, been to the conferences. I'm not impressed with the scientific evidence for the casein/gluten/yeast overgrowth/leaky gut/autism associations.
You are right. The scientific evidence is terrible, and it is even worse for the vaccines. However, when I had one patient go gluten/casein free (milk and wheat for the rest of you), the response was dramatic. I then joined a yahoo group on gluten, casein free diets (gfcf from now on) and was impressed by how similar the stories were. The only objective evidence that gluten and casein cause problems is some obscure urinary breakdown products.

Let's start with the problems with the theory. Casein is actually found in mother's breast milk and some of the casein is converted to casomorphin, the morphine like peptide. In fact, studies have shown that part of the reasons babies cry for their mommy is that they literally want their morphine like casomorphin fix. Casomorphin's half life is like 20 minutes as well, so how can this substance cause autism if it is gone so quickly? In the kids that do respond, why does it take a week or so of being casein free for them to get better?

Besides, we know all about casomorpin. It can be artificially produced and shot into someone, and it doesn't cause autism. More importantly, casomorphin activates the mu opioid receptor which can be blocked by naloxone and naltrexone, and the studies have shown naloxone and naltrexone don't work for autism at all. The best they do is to get people to stop banging their heads.

The morphine like peptide from wheat, gliadorphin or gluteomorphin works on the delta opioid receptor, and it has a similarly short half life, and blocking the delta receptor hasn't prevented autism either.

The chemical profile for autistics is high glutamate, normal dopamine, high serotonin, and low GABA. Glutamate turns on the sensory system, and GABA turns it off.

Autism doctors have finally acknowledged the effects of high glutamate and have focused on bringing it down. The heavy metal theory never made sense to me. Glutamate is broken down by an enzyme called glutamine synthetase (GS). Glutamate combines with ammonia and is converted by GS into harmless glutamine and water. Heavy metals like mercury and lead inhibit the function of GS. If glutamate is not disposed of properly, it hangs around and destroys nerve tissue. The problem with the heavy metal theory though is that when GS is inhibited, the brain does not swell. In fact, it shrinks, and autistics have brain swelling not brain atrophy (or shrinkage). In short, the issue is not improper glutamate breakdown but has to be excessive glutamate production.

With the exception of smell, glutamate stimulating a receptor called the NMDA receptor is responsible for all sensing including touch, hearing, seeing, and taste. The term, sensory integration, has been used, but it's probably best to use the word hypersensing. In fact, the N personality type could be best described not as intuition but as hypersensing. We now have an anti-ALS drug, Riutek, that can directly lower glutamate levels. The NMDA receptor can be directly blocked by a whole host of drugs: GABA, magnesium, alcohol, valium, ketamine, dextromethorphan (cough syrup), memantine (a dementia drug), gabapentin (a seizure medicine), and LSD. And the results with the trials of NMDA blockers and Riutek is a big fat zero. Again, the studies at best show some symptom relief but nothing more.

Some doctors have had some luck with the detoxifying of glutamate. Increasing levels of glutathione, THE amino acid antioxidant, have been somewhat helpful in riding the body of excessive glutamate. Glutathione has been given IV, and there are glutathione skin patches. The only oral medication shown to work in raising glutathione is N-acetylcysteine. However, Vitamin D has been shown to raise glutathione levels. Hence, the suggestion for people with excessive glutamate to get more sun.

You can't measure glutamate, but it is easy to see the symptoms. Hyperactivity is one way, and another is that a person has allodynia, which is the term for a noxious reaction to non-noxious stimuli. The easiest adult example is the migraine sufferer who has to be in a dark room because the light hurts their eyes. Hung over adults also have this when normal sounds appear very loud, a problem autistics have all the time.

The people who believe in the GFCF theory have not got IMO a working hypothesis, so I had to make one on my own. Why can a kid with autism bang his head against the wall and have no pain but react violently and appear in pain when his or her hair is combed? It should be obvious to anyone who sees this that there is an alteration in endorphins, the body's natural pain killers. Studies have shown autistics have normal levels of beta-endorphin in their cerebrospinal fluid, so someone is on the right track. However, beta-endorphin actually calms the sensory system, so if anything, you would expect it to be low.

I haven't heard anyone talk about what I think causes autism, but it would have to a be a very powerful chemical. It has to be as powerful if not more powerful than morphine in blocking somatic pain (like the head pounding). It has to increase glutamate levels and activate the NMDA receptor and cause allodynia but be so so strong that it overrides the body's natural breaks on the NMDA receptor (GABA and dopamine) and even man made ones like memantine. Morphine, casomorphin, and gluteomorphin would have to cause this substance to be elevated not just for a few hours but for days/weeks.

There is one chemical I know of that does all of the above. Let me know if you figure out which one it is.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You're baffling me with bullshit! I'm not a biochemist, what is it?

1 - 20 of 179 Posts