Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"What are the MBTI types of your immediate family" is probably the most common thread on PerC, but I hadn't found any recent posts that actually analyzed all of the data these threads were collecting. Being the obsessive INFJ that I am, I decided to devote two days of my life to doing it myself. These are the results. (note: I do not know, nor do I claim to know, any advanced statistical methods. I'm just tryin my best, okayyy)

I used 169 users' data from four PerC threads (#1, #2, #3, #4). I tried to limit variables by only considering biological families that live together (ie. no stepparents, half children, etc.), and any posts with too many unknown typings (ie. ESXX) were discarded. Only known types were used, and if an older post included a typing that was later corrected (in the user's bio, signature, later post, etc), the most recent information was used.

I analyzed the data in several ways, but I'll put the data tables in spoiler tags so this post isn't too lengthy. The general key for all of the charts is bold = 1 standard deviation above the mean, bold underline = 2+ standard deviations above the mean, and bold-underline-italics = 2+ standard deviations above the mean higher in the individual type chart than in the total chart. In other words, italics represents a trend specific to the MBTI type of the child, and not a product of the overall data skew.

---

TOTAL RESULTS:
The overall trends reflected normal population statistics for MBTI type. ISTJ was the most common type for the father, and ESFJ was the most common type for the mother. Overall, SJs were extremely common in parental types, which makes sense given that they are the most common types among people. INTP was the most common type for children (generally, respondents), which also makes sense given that the data were taken from an online personality forum, ya nerds :)

This total chart is important because 1) it ensures that the data are accurate, as they match well with population statistics and 2) it acts as a check against potential trends for each MBTI type-- most of the "trends" were proportional to these overall numbers.

---

OLDEST/YOUNGEST SIBLING RESULTS:
Being an INFJ with an ESFP younger sister (a seemingly stereotypical older-younger sibling relationship), I was quite interested in oldest/youngest sibling MBTI trends. Surprisingly, this analysis yielded the most conclusive results.

NJs were twice as likely to be the oldest sibling than SPs, and SPs were almost three times as likely to be the youngest sibling when compared to NJs. An interesting sidenote is that ENTPs were extremely likely to be oldest siblings, while INTPs were commonly younger siblings. Comparing ENTP+NJ to INTP+SP made for an even more convincing split, as seen in the data table below.

These data were certainly the most interesting for me, and I'm considering collecting more data for this subset alone.

(Oh, lol, I totally didn't notice this table wasn't labeled on one side and I'm too lazy to fix it.
For reference, the types proceed in the same order as the total chart above, and as in the rest of the charts I made. Sorry bout that.)

---

FAMILY MBTI FOR EACH TYPE RESULTS:
This is the meat of this analysis, though the results weren't fantastic. Some types (ie. ESTJ, ENTJ) simply didn't have enough data to provide accurate results, while other types (ie. INTP, INFJ) were so common that their trends mirrored the population data from the total chart. When the skew from the total data was taken into account, there weren't too many convincing trends.

NFs:
ENFJs were more likely to have an ESFP mother. ENFPs were more likely to have an ENFJ mother. INFPs were more likely to have an ISTJ sibling.

NTs:
ENTJ results were unreliable. INTJs were more likely to have an INFJ mother. ENTPs were more likely to have an INTP father.

SJs:
ESTJ results were unreliable. Both ISxJs were more likely to have an INTJ mother. ISFJs were also more likely to have an ENTP sibling. ESFJs were more likely to have an INTJ father.

SPs:
ESTPs were more likely to have an ENTP sibling. ESFPs were the most likely of the types to have an ESTP father, but not enough that the trend could be considered statistically valid.

---

What do you guys think? Does this line up with what you expected? Any surprising results? Were my methods jank? I'm happy to hear it all :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Very interesting results! Thanks for sharing. I expected most of the parents to be SJ types, as this is common in my friend group, but it was interesting to see varied results among groups.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If I had a GIF with applause or hand clapping, I'd be using to right now. Nice job! I have a soft spot for statistical things, as well as birth order so this made my day.

Birth Order (when not correlated to MBTI) can definitely be varied, though it's generally believed that oldest children like myself are organized so the J results don't surprise me. The ENTP oldest kid definitely surprised me though. Just shows anything can happen I guess.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
6,996 Posts
TOTAL RESULTS:
The overall trends reflected normal population statistics for MBTI type. ISTJ was the most common type for the father, and ESFJ was the most common type for the mother. Overall, SJs were extremely common in parental types, which makes sense given that they are the most common types among people. INTP was the most common type for children (generally, respondents), which also makes sense given that the data were taken from an online personality forum, ya nerds :)

This total chart is important because 1) it ensures that the data are accurate, as they match well with population statistics and 2) it acts as a check against potential trends for each MBTI type-- most of the "trends" were proportional to these overall numbers.
I think it is very common to see your parents as SJs (especially SF for mothers and STs for fathers). Because you know, they're parents, from the last generation. They're obviously going to appear more practical and traditional for that reason.

It's interesting to see what the results are from all these threads though.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
No such thing as far as I know. You're either lucky or unlucky with your family members' MBTI.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ENTJ and ISFJ created: INFJ ISTJ INTP (and possibly esfp? unsure). I would like the engage this conversation but the OP is too intimidating I can't start reading it.
I apologize if the post was intimidating to you. Basically all I did was combine posts like that from multiple threads into several tables to see if any definitive MBTI trends in families exist. If you're a visual person, you might find the tables under the spoiler tags to be less dense than the big blocks of text :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I apologize if the post was intimidating to you. Basically all I did was combine posts like that from multiple threads into several tables to see if any definitive MBTI trends in families exist. If you're a visual person, you might find the tables under the spoiler tags to be less dense than the big blocks of text :)
text doesn't bother me too much, it's just the size. The P in me can't follow things in linier succession I just want to take it all in at once quickly. Smash or Pass is all my brain can manage sometimes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well my mom is ESFJ, my dad is ISTJ, and my brother is ESFJ. My bf's family is...

Mom: INTJ
Dad: ESFP
Sister:ENTP
Him: ESTJ

I'm wondering what our child's type could be if we possibly had a kid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts