Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correlations Between MBTI Type, Temperaments, Cognitive Functions, and Music?

I'm an ENFP, and when I listen to music it becomes an intense, deep, emotional experience. I connect with music in this way that I can't explain. I think it may have something to do with my Fi. But, at the same time, I'm not sure if it's just a personal thing, and not necessarily true of all people with dominant, or auxiliary Fi. Also, maybe people who don't have dominant, or auxiliary Fi feel this way too? I'm not sure. I also wonder if all NF's can relate to this. So, I was hoping you all could answer a few questions to help me understand the correlations there could be between MBTI types, cognitive functions, and music.

In general, what correlations, if any, do you see between MBTI types, temperaments, and/or cognitive functions, and music? How do you personally take in music? What does it do to you when you hear it? How do you connect with it?

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

·
Registered
196 Posts
If it's lyrical it's always a major tert-Ni trigger. If it's not then I ride out the Se high, dance, marrch, smile like an idiot :) whatever

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I love music! It's an integral part from my childhood. I dance every day. I want music that makes me move. It can come from many different genres. Blues, electronica, metal... uplifting, depressing, it's not about genre.

From what I can tell, ESTP's don't all listen to the same type of music.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If it's lyrical it's always a major tert-Ni trigger. If it's not then I ride out the Se high, dance, marrch, smile like an idiot :) whatever
Similar. Also depends on the situation; if I'm working out, I want music with a great beat. On the treadmill I listen to a lot of electronic, dance music, something you can really get into. When I'm journalling and listening to music, I sometimes find that I'm listening to the lyrics more and writing about them and what I think they mean. Either way, I'm constantly playing music throughout the day. I even hear music in my dreams and wake up to whatever song was in that "soundtrack." I also start playing songs in my head (if that makes sense; I just realized how strange that sounds when I write it) as a replacement sometimes for my ceaseless brain chatter.

Reactions: Lady D

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've found that I'm really interested in "Ni music," electronica/chill/downtempo stuff that wanders all over but doesn't have a central distracting feature. Listening to it stimulates my mind and creativity, and it's good background music to have while writing.

I wouldn't say I'm emotionally involved in my music. I do pick things based on mood when I'm not listening to the above (or affected by the below), so if I'm in a melancholy mood I listen to slower, piano type stuff and if I'm feeling energetic I'll listen to energetic stuff. And sure, sometimes a song will strike me in just the right way. But usually, I'm detached from my music emotionally.

A bigger factor for me is temperature. I have synesthesia and never realized until somewhat recently that the temperature of a room influences what I want to listen to. If it's cold or I'm cold, I want to listen to "warm" music which is slow, melancholy, reflective, acoustic guitar/piano type stuff. If it's hot or I'm hot I can't listen to warm music because it'll make me hotter, so I'll listen to upbeat or open, airy sounding music. It really does have an effect on my physical comfort level to listen to the right music in the right ambient temperature.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My choice of music is often influenced by the vibe around me - if the people enjoy it then I'll manage to enjoy just about anything. I always have music in my head - there's a constant beat dancing around. One of the more interesting bands for me is Fear Factory - I actually find some of their music strangely relaxing and sedate, because the music to me seems so corporate and robotic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm an ENFP, and when I listen to music it becomes an intense, deep, emotional experience. I connect with music in this way that I can't explain. I think it may have something to do with my Fi. But, at the same time, I'm not sure if it's just a personal thing, and not necessarily true of all people with dominant, or auxiliary Fi. Also, maybe people who don't have dominant, or auxiliary Fi feel this way too? I'm not sure. I also wonder if all NF's can relate to this. So, I was hoping you all could answer a few questions to help me understand the correlations there could be between MBTI types, cognitive functions, and music.

In general, what correlations, if any, do you see between MBTI types, temperaments, and/or cognitive functions, and music? How do you personally take in music? What does it do to you when you hear it? How do you connect with it?

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!
I'm an ENFP too, and you said it all for me. From what I've observed, most xNFPs feel that way about music. :crazy: I don't have a preference for either music or lyrics, I find them both to be incredibly emotionally stimulating, provided that that was the songwriter's/composer's objective. Some music is just made for mindless enjoyment and dancing at clubs, which is fun too!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I usually listen to hard rock. A lot of softer genres are depressing and uninteresting to me, while dubstep and the like irritate me. More stereotypical of my personality, I do listen to classical music on occasion, if I am doing work. I'm not really a music guy to begin with, even though my stupid username is a song.

One of the more interesting bands for me is Fear Factory - I actually find some of their music strangely relaxing and sedate, because the music to me seems so corporate and robotic.
I find them to be kind of beautiful.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love music but I don't have the healthiest "relationship" with it. I over analyze it. I can feel myself automatically trying to predict where a song will go, or change my experience with it a song by changing how I listen to it (like moving from focusing on the main singer and the general beat to percussive instruments only jumping from track to track, trying to isolate them and then listen to the song as one big mishmash of different ideas). I also pay extreme attention to the "perceived" quality of the source as well... and there is the psychoacoustic dimension of sound. And numbers... it's easy to get lost in something as complicated/technical as music, and then lose sight of it all, like gearheads over at dpreview who care about cameras for the specs, forgetting they are only tools for a larger purpose (creativity).

Music cognition is seriously interesting because how does one explain how they interpret music? But there must be some common thread, otherwise there would be no such thing as popular music or music that is appreciated on a large scale. I think they are all hearing music the same way, popular culture has simply acclimated to simple time signatures, or maybe music has a way to "explain" how to listen to it depending on structure.

I listen to mainly electronic music, but it can range from pop-experimental. If given enough time or incentive, I can learn to like genres which originally seem unappealing to me, like country.

Music rarely feels like an emotional experience for me. Sometimes I feel I am trying to force something out of it. The only time I am really emotional is when something comes out of left field, something I never expected.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Enfj - I adore all the oldies classics, I don't know why, it's like candy to my soul, and never gets old. 😌

Examples:
Nina Simone - my baby just cares for me
Bread - baby I'm a want you
Frank Sinatra - the way you look tonight
Peggy Lee - mañana
Patti page - old cape cod
Doris Day - funny valentine
Tony Orlando - tie a yellow ribbon

And many many more~ 🎶💕

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Old thread, but I don't see any correlation between type/functions and enjoyment of music in the broad sense, although I could see there being certain aspects of music enjoyment that might correlate to certain functions.

It's hard for me to find a common theme uniting the music I listen to that I could point to and say "that's what I enjoy about music", but, whilst not required, emotional connection can certainly enhance the impact of a track.

Reactions: MidnightPicnic
1 - 12 of 12 Posts