Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could just as well fit in the philosophy and critical thinking category, but, do you think about how odd this cosmos, it's existence, and therefore our existence as parts of the cosmos, really is in reality? Think about it for a moment. There was either always something with no beginning or end, and there was a state of nothing we cannot comprehend and then all of a sudden things started existing even without us around to observe this existence and the cosmos we are part of and inhabit. So, Thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, as it just converts from one form to another; and particle physics notes that particles just pop into and out of existence, and that explains the basis of our universe just coming to be, but what about energy? What is the energy of the cosmos? Can there truly ever have been nothing, and what does it all mean if there was always something long before our universe or even a multiverse existed?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't think many people even realize how big the universe is. A one-way trip to the nearest star system with some of probes we've launched would take about 74,000 years. A trip to the farthest planet in our own system would take 12 years.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Vinniebob We are the Universe figuring itself out really. Yes we have brains and all that, but though brains are made of tissues, those tissues of cells, those cells of organelles and viscous liquids, and all of those are made of molecules which are comprised of elements. We are elements that through chance, ended up forming us, people with something as mysterious as consciousness. This consciousness allows us, unlike asteroid or comets, to understand we are physically present. We can look out at the light of dead stars. We are the many eyes and ears of the universe, and we are driven to find out what exactly, besides that, we are.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We are not that important. The universe doesn't need us to understand it. It never has, it never will. It just keeps on working regardless of our presence in it. Our curiosity is a closed loop. We ask the questions, we give the answers. We frame the mysteries, then we find them out. Sometimes we're right, sometimes we're wrong. We swim in the middle of our own vast confusion. And even though it's great that we do all that, we could use some modesty. If advanced species from other planets saw us I doubt they'd be impressed. Even if we are exceptional, we sure don't act like it. We act more like teenage spoiled kids obsessed with places abroad while we shit and act disrespectful in our own home.

Sorry for the misanthropic rant... but really, not that sorry.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@CosmicYeti I agree about humanity, so don't be sorry. I meant us as conscious beings with some level of self awareness, and that could be other species on other planets too. I still view us as being part of the universe, only parts, if that makes sense. This means we are like a carbon atom in one of our cells, or, even just a proton of that one carbon atom

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
We need to not make physical laws any longer. We need to make bread and other things that aren't inductive in origin.
What about the bread's quantum gravity? Can we let it exist in a nongravitational world?

Reactions: Grandmaster Yoda
1 - 17 of 17 Posts