Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Type 9s (of average or unhealthy levels of health) are known to be slothful in regards to things that cause them pain or discomfort, habitually choosing to block them out in order to avoid having to deal with them.

But could a general attitude of apathy or indolence towards things as a whole, not just towards things that give you discomfort, also be due to type 9?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Type 9s (of average or unhealthy levels of health) are known to be slothful in regards to things that cause them pain or discomfort, habitually choosing to block them out in order to avoid having to deal with them.

But could a general attitude of apathy or indolence towards things as a whole, not just towards things that give you discomfort, also be due to type 9?
The list of things that cause pain and discomfort can grow to include just about everything. When that happens, you're considered depressed. I wouldn't say that it's so much due to type 9... it's due to being beaten down by life. But, yeah, this can happen to 9s.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have issues with clinical depression. I've been on Zoloft for about 3 years now and it works, but I'm still NINEISH. This came up in counseling just the other day. When I'm depressed, I'm, like, catatonic. Exaggeration, but still. Nothing can make me move. But I've got the brain chemicals evened out right now, so instead of being heartbreakingly apathetic, I'm CONTENTLY apathetic. Okay, actually apathetic MAY be the wrong word, and just "content" will do. Overcontentment leads to indolence, too. You still feel no particular need to act, but you're just fine with that. So I still have to work on strategies to keep me focused and present, otherwise issues build up around me until I'm suddenly overwhelmed because I didn't feel any need to deal with them when they first showed up. So... there is a difference between general 9ish apathy and depressed apathy, but maybe more in quality than quantity.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That can be a symptom of dissociative disorders, PTSD, schizophrenia or ADHD. With ADHD at least, it's not really apathy but can look like it, because the person can want something very badly, they just can't make themselves work to achieve it until the last minute when adrenaline kicks in and makes focusing on demand suddenly much easier and more bearable. With the others conditions, there is actually a lack of emotion involved.

Reactions: Crescent and nburns
1 - 6 of 6 Posts