Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many have said in this forum that people often confuse I with N and E with S. Some have said that the lay person's definition of introvert and extrovert is more like N vs. S. I disagree with that. I think the lay person---or the mainstream idea--- thinks extroverts= normal; introverts= not normal/"withdrawn" & need to get out of their shells. Maybe there are different levels of understanding these terms. A person who confuses I with N and E with S is maybe "level 2", and one who knows the difference between the terms is "level 3".

I admit that I am probably at level 2, but I would like to get to level 3. It's easy to see why people can confuse the terms. Sensors are said to primarily deal with details and things that can be processed with their five senses---those types of things are "external". Intuitors are said to imagine possiblities and primarily deal with concepts and ideas----those types of things are "internal".

Do you think it's more likely that an Ne or Si dominate person would wonder if they are an introvert or extrovert? Are Se's and Ni's more "extreme"?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I don't really think there is any such thing as ambiversion now that I've gotten into Jung's definitions of extroversion and introversion. Simply, extroverts draw energy from the world around them while introverts draw energy from inside. So extroversion and introversion will vary depending on the person's dominant function which could cause some confusion.

I'm not sure about the other functions, but I know that many Ne users(including myself) have been confused about whether they're an extrovert or an introvert. Many ENPs come out as introverts on the tests. And I really don't agree with the basic definitions that MBTI tests seem to go by to determine whether you're an extrovert or an introvert. That's why those tests are only really good for narrowing down your type, in my opinion.

I've taken the test on MyPersonality.info, and it's obvious what questions have to do with E and I.
They have to do with preferring to be alone or preferring to do things on your own and the such. Most of those questions would have more to do with other personality factors. Probably the best question on there asked whether I was more concerned with the world around me or my own thoughts and feelings.

The lay person thinks that extrovert= annoying attention-seeker who can't shut up for the world and that introvert= lonely eccentrics who have no idea how basic conversation works. I was partly joking there, though. That's too extreme :mellow:

Sorry, I get a bit too wordy sometimes. I may have repeated myself or repeated you ...I may not have even helped you lol

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really think there is any such thing as ambiversion now that I've gotten into Jung's definitions of extroversion and introversion. Simply, extroverts draw energy from the world around them while introverts draw energy from inside. So extroversion and introversion will vary depending on the person's dominant function which could cause some confusion.

I'm not sure about the other functions, but I know that many Ne users(including myself) have been confused about whether they're an extrovert or an introvert. Many ENPs come out as introverts on the tests. And I really don't agree with the basic definitions that MBTI tests seem to go by to determine whether you're an extrovert or an introvert. That's why those tests are only really good for narrowing down your type, in my opinion.

I've taken the test on MyPersonality.info, and it's obvious what questions have to do with E and I.
They have to do with preferring to be alone or preferring to do things on your own and the such. Most of those questions would have more to do with other personality factors. Probably the best question on there asked whether I was more concerned with the world around me or my own thoughts and feelings.

The lay person thinks that extrovert= annoying attention-seeker who can't shut up for the world and that introvert= lonely eccentrics who have no idea how basic conversation works. I was partly joking there, though. That's too extreme :mellow:

Sorry, I get a bit too wordy sometimes. I may have repeated myself or repeated you ...I may not have even helped you lol
You're fine. Wordy responses are welcomed. I don't have anything "better" to do than read lol.

Your second paragraph goes along with my theory. I'm still trying to grasp the Ne and Si concepts a little better. Most of the things I read online seem to pertain more to Se vs. Ni.

I'm fairly certain that I would be considered Ni, but as I've mentioned in the past on here, when I am extremely comfortable with a person I act more like what I've read about Ne. So I wonder: "Am I using a 'shadow function', or am I just a really issolated Ne who is comfortable by himself but often wishes that he could 'contribute' more to the external world?" Plus, all of this stuff I read about introverts wanting to be in the background isn't always the case with me, although sometimes it is.

Just when I start to think that I understand everything about MBTI, I start questioning myself and think that I still don't. :sad:

·
11,928 Posts
What is that behavior that seems more Ne-ish to you?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is that behavior that seems more Ne-ish to you?
Mainly my sense of humor. When I am around people that I am extremley comfortable with, I become a jokester. My good friends have described me as "clever funny". I'm playfully facetious- not really "sarcastic", since the goal isn't to offend anyone. Sometimes I actually use puns and stuff like that, but I often use them knowing that they are bad jokes. Every now and then, when I use a pun, my friends will kind of stop everything they are doing and look up and smile, and they will say, "Huh. That was actually good."

I never act like an Se dominate person...never.

·
11,928 Posts
Oh that's not really indicative of Ne. Are you, by any chance, an INFJ? My mom is like that. When she's comfortable with people, she can be the life of the whole gathering...That could be Fe.

Reactions: Daveman

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Ambiversion dose'nt play into MBTI.but in the world of Introversion and Extraversion alone 70% are ambivert(though most lean slightily to one side)15% are extreme Introverts and 15% are extreme extraverts.

·
11,928 Posts
I really think that you can only be one or the other though and that those percentages don't really mean anything. I don't think that you can be more introverted or extroverted than someone else...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh that's not really indicative of Ne. Are you, by any chance, an INFJ? My mom is like that. When she's comfortable with people, she can be the life of the whole gathering...That could be Fe.
dsv2e-- I suggest you check out some of the articles in the INFJ forum. Particularly the one titled, "The Many Faces of INFJs." It explains-- among other things-- why INFJ's are so often confused with E's or T's or even sometimes with S's.

The first time I ever took the MBTI test I came out as an ISTP; that didn't sound right, though. So I took a different online test and came out as INTP. But that didn't seem quite right, either...Recently, I came back to it again and tested as an ESFJ...Soooo confusing. But, now I know-- I'm an INFJ! And it finally feels absolutely, indisputably, 100 percent right.

I think the reason I was confusing myself with an E for so long, is that I get so bored being stuck at home in the same environment day after day. INFJ's love to observe and take in new information, but that's so hard to do in one's inner world...So I think INFJ's tend to surround themselves with their outer world much more than other I types, because it's the only way for us to take in new information.

Reactions: Daveman and Vaka

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could be. I've been wondering about my F and T. It just seems like those depend on the circumstances. It does seem like I switch faces sometimes. In any case, when I am acting like I discribed earlier, I at least feel like I am being more extroverted than usual. It doesn't happen all the time, and like I said, it depends completley on who I am with.

dsv2e-- I suggest you check out some of the articles in the INFJ forum. Particularly the one titled, "The Many Faces of INFJs." It explains-- among other things-- why INFJ's are so often confused with E's or T's or even sometimes with S's.

The first time I ever took the MBTI test I came out as an ISTP; that didn't sound right, though. So I took a different online test and came out as INTP. But that didn't seem quite right, either...Recently, I came back to it again and tested as an ESFJ...Soooo confusing. But, now I know-- I'm an INFJ! And it finally feels absolutely, indisputably, 100 percent right.

I think the reason I was confusing myself with an E for so long, is that I get so bored being stuck at home in the same environment day after day. INFJ's love to observe and take in new information, but that's so hard to do in one's inner world...So I think INFJ's tend to surround themselves with their outer world much more than other I types, because it's the only way for us to take in new information.
Thank you. I might check that out. I have tested online as an INTJ, but it wasn't an offical test. I have been skeptical about that, because they seem to be very low on the F side.

------------------------------

Anyway, I will stop talking about myself, as of now. I really want to stop doing that. I still wonder what people might think about my initial questions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah - no such thing as ambiverts in typology, but I would say IxxJ's are most likely to be mistaken for extroverts and ExxP's (particularly Ne'ers) are most likely to be mistaken for introverts - due to the placing of their articulation function (Te or Fe) in their functional hierarchy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts