Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first joined this site, I introduced myself as an ISXJ. After considering some other types, including ISTP and INFJ, I've been wondering lately if I could've been right from the start. I just re-took the test and resulted with a strongly expressed Introversion, Sensing and Judging, with a slight Feeling preference. The reason I'm starting with ISFJ is because I know I have a much stronger Fe than Te.

Random things about myself to see if others here can relate:
  • I feel other people's emotions, much more than I feel my own. I'm usually out of touch with my own feelings (and don't express them) because I push them away or convince myself that my feelings aren't logical or can't be trusted. I've been known to explode when I am pushed too far, but in general I am very mild-mannered.
  • In spite of the above, I am a very emotional person. I am easily touched and hold onto things that are special or important to me.
  • My home is my safe haven. I like everything to be organized and kind in my home. I get stressed out if there's clutter, or people invading it.
  • I don't focus much on the distant past, but that's possibly because it's a bit painful for me. I much prefer to live in the now, and am usually happy when I'm doing so.
  • I don't easily trust other people. I get drained quickly from being around other people, except for my closest friends. I'm incredibly loyal to those who have earned my trust though. (It takes me a REALLY long time to warm up to others.)
  • I love helping people. I always feel like I don't help enough. I feel terrible if I can't help out. I was sick last Thursday and had to miss work, and I beat myself up the rest of the night for not going anyway... It brightens my day when I can help people out though!
  • I plan a lot for the future, but not plans that involve other people unless I really trust them. I believe most people aren't reliable.
  • I was mostly raised by two Ne-users, so I don't believe I have as strong SJ values. I wanted to ask you guys in what way do you use your Si? I think I'm still learning about it, though I feel it makes up a core part of who I am. I seek stability above all else, and am fairly traditional.
  • I'm extremely gullible. (I'm not looking forward to April Fool's day...)

Well, that's what I've got. Please comment and feel free to ask me questions! :) Sorry for the huge block of text. I really appreciate any insight you may have on my type.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It sounds like you are an introverted feeler for sure. But what type: INFP, INFJ, ISFJ, or ISFP? It seems like your feeling is Fe from this post (making you ISFJ/INFJ), but I cannot know for sure.

I guess to figure out if you are an ISFJ, you could try to figure out if you use Si. A lot of Si is trying to use already-established methods to solve problems, often being able to tell the difference between what was done in the past and what is different. Si vs Ne, Ni, or Se relates to how you gather information.

If you haven't already, you can try a cognitive functions test. It might not tell you much, but then it might. Post the results after you are done. Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

You seem to be an Enneagram Type 2, or at least have Type 2 as your heart fix on the Enneagram.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I feel other people's emotions, much more than I feel my own. I'm usually out of touch with my own feelings (and don't express them) because I push them away or convince myself that my feelings aren't logical or can't be trusted. I've been known to explode when I am pushed too far, but in general I am very mild-mannered.
This screams Fe.

I read the rest of your post and it got me thinking that you would be either an INFJ or ISFJ.

Since Si is held at a high value for me, it's all about trying to keep things in my comfort zone. I know what I like and I know what I don't like. Sometimes, I need to trust that leaving my comfort zone is not the end of my world and that questioning the internal map I have made can be very constructive.

For somebody like an INFJ with highly valued, Ni. These are people that instinctively doubt the observable reality. They too seek to have a comfort zone, but rather than put trust and faith in their own experiences, they see their life's experience often as irrelevant because it is only one perspective at which to interpret their life experiences. They find comfort in having no frame of reference on their experiences unseen. An INFJ would probably agree that nothing is true in the ultimate sense of reality, which to me I think is nonsense and quite overkill in terms of philosophy and abstract concepts.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This screams Fe.

I read the rest of your post and it got me thinking that you would be either an INFJ or ISFJ.

Since Si is held at a high value for me, it's all about trying to keep things in my comfort zone. I know what I like and I know what I don't like. Sometimes, I need to trust that leaving my comfort zone is not the end of my world and that questioning the internal map I have made can be very constructive.

For somebody like an INFJ with highly valued, Ni. These are people that instinctively doubt the observable reality. They too seek to have a comfort zone, but rather than put trust and faith in their own experiences, they see their life's experience often as irrelevant because it is only one perspective at which to interpret their life experiences. They find comfort in having no frame of reference on their experiences unseen. An INFJ would probably agree that nothing is true in the ultimate sense of reality, which to me I think is nonsense and quite overkill in terms of philosophy and abstract concepts.
I can relate a lot more to valuing my experiences. I value reality a lot more than the "what ifs."

I usually score as an ISTJ or ISFJ when I take the functions quiz, though I'll re-post my results later.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I can relate a lot more to valuing my experiences. I value reality a lot more than the "what ifs."

I usually score as an ISTJ or ISFJ when I take the functions quiz, though I'll re-post my results later.
Well, then, I guess it seems you are an ISFJ.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

Yeah, trusting your experiences at face value would point to ISFJ. It's not that you don't come up with what-ifs to entertain yourself and to hold caution. They just stem from the reality as you know it and how you could change the present. Less so hypothetical alternate universes like a world without gravity.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
  • I feel other people's emotions, much more than I feel my own. I'm usually out of touch with my own feelings (and don't express them) because I push them away or convince myself that my feelings aren't logical or can't be trusted.
  • I'm extremely gullible. (I'm not looking forward to April Fool's day...)

• everything but the two listed above i can relate to. I was raised surrounded by N types as well and i think that it may have some impact on how you are. I wouldnt say that i feel other peoples emotions more than my own... i empathize alot, and i can usually tell what others are thinking/feeling but i always know how im feeling, even if i dont let others know. I am very much in tuned with my own feelings even if i wish i didnt feel that way or feel guilty about those feelings. I dont care at ALL about whether my feelings are logical. Feelings are just that feelings they are by definition illogical and many times uncontrollable. I do however guard my emotions when i know others will judge my showing of those emotions (as illogical, ridiculous, petty, whiney, childish, selfish etc). Ive found that i feel best when i release emotions and dont hold resentment inside if at all possible. Sometimes this means releasing emotion alone.

I wouldnt consider myself gullible for the very reason that im not an immediately trusting person. Also i tend to blame anyone else for their lying or deception rather than myself for not catching it. Why would it be my fault for trusting someone i have come to trust in the first place? If you are trying to deceive me you are putting at least some effort into doing so and are therefore to blame. So the judgement lies on you. (for example, not you specifically).

I find that my INFJ sister is more sentimental than i am (she holds on to the most random crap because someone gave it to her at some point in her life) its endearing but i rarely do this because i find that the memory itself or the person is more important to me.

Reactions: Nickel

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well, you definitely sound like an ISFJ to me!

I was mostly raised by two Ne-users, so I don't believe I have as strong SJ values. I wanted to ask you guys in what way do you use your Si? I think I'm still learning about it, though I feel it makes up a core part of who I am. I seek stability above all else, and am fairly traditional.
I'm just wondering what you mean by strong SJ values? What makes you think your values aren't strong?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
How do I confirm my type?

I read tests are often wrong.

I have read descriptions of the functions but they don't make much sense.
people usually just read more about each type that they test closely to and determine if another type sounds more like them. Ive always tested as ISFJ and it sounds alot like me so it was a no-brainer. Maybe it would help if you explained what exactly doesnt sound like you... there must be something thats making you question it so much.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just wondering what you mean by strong SJ values? What makes you think your values aren't strong?
Ah, sorry, I expressed this a bit poorly. xD What I mean is that my parents don't really value the same things I do; i.e. they don't value stability at all, so I grew up moving around a lot. Even though I seek stability above all, I know how to adapt, and there's a part of me who wants to value what my parents taught me, even though it doesn't go together with who I am.

I find that my INFJ sister is more sentimental than i am (she holds on to the most random crap because someone gave it to her at some point in her life) its endearing but i rarely do this because i find that the memory itself or the person is more important to me.
I'm the same way as you are. :) I don't like to keep clutter and I value memories a lot more than objects.

And finally, my functions. Not because I'm necessarily in question of my type but because I said I'd post them.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.7)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************** (32.7)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************* (33.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************** (30.5)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.4)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.6)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.8)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.7)
average use

It gave me ISFJ, ESFJ and INFJ xD
I've never scored this high on Ne or Fi before >.>

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
your numbers are very close, have you tried the humanmetrics version?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You sound like an isfj to me too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts