Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, ISFP's. I thought I was an INFP, but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm caught in between the two! Could you guys help me out? I'm feeling really lost, like I don't know myself anymore.

So I searched up the traits, and so here are the traits I have for both personality types.

Thanks, if you'll still come back and help me, here are some of my traits.

INFP:
-I'm attracted to sad things and the rain
-am deeply concerned with harmony and maintaining harmony is critica
-I'm very disorganized and messy
-I like to do things at the last minute
-value mercy over justice and am very empathetic
-I believe that I need to contribute to something important to life
-believe it's very important to be open-minded
-I am incredibly lazy unless I am passionate about something, then I become a perfectionist
-day dreamer
-have suffered from low self-esteem
-am more future-oriented
-have always dreamed of falling in love and living in a magical place
-my fashion style is very simple and laid back, I don't like wearing anything that'll bring too much attention to me (stuff with glitter, etc)

ISFP:
-am naturally empathetic and compassionate
-quietly and very realistically watching everything
-naturally free-spirited in a reserved fashion, realistic and spontaneous
-am very gentle
- I need variety and freedom
-am VERY naturally concerned for children and animals, natural things
-am somewhat idealistic
-Does not have great respect for rules and regulations per se
-am typically very concerned with harmony in all things
-Usually very down-to-earth people living in the present
-I DO like fashion and do care about the way I look to an extent: I dress more bohemian chic... my clothes must be comfortable. :) I'm very attracted to lace and flower patterns

I'm also starting to trust my head over my heart now. Mainly because I don't trust my heart, and that if I do, I'll surely make a mistake. I also don't think I get the deeper, symbolic meanings in things anymore, like in books. ):

One thing that also bothers me is that all the NF's seem to be so intelligent, not that SF's aren't or can't. It's just that I know so many of them who are so incredibly gifted, yet I'm just very... average. ):

I feel like school and how I WANT to perceive the world have changed me. I feel like I used to be INCREDIBLY creative, but it's all sucked dry now.

I think I just sound so much like both. Lots of help would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Most of your traits overlap and aren't exclusive to INFPs or ISFPs. For example, ISFPs are procrastinators, empathetic, and extremely concerned about harmony. INFPs are gentle and idealistic.

Trusting your head over your heart is actually a thinker trait too. And I find it strange how you say you're not into symbols or creativity anymore. Why did this change, because of school? It's pretty rare for Fi users' values to be swayed so easily unless they're depressed or going through a tough time. You don't have to answer that, but it's something to consider. Another thing to consider is what you say about the NFs being talented. All of the subtypes have abilities and strengths that are weaker in the others. Plus, remember that we're on a forum about typology. Most of us are going to appear articulate and knowledgeable because we're here to learn. There are plenty of NFs (and SJs, NTs, SPs) in real life who most likely wouldn't be able to do so even if they wanted to.

What it boils down to is Se vs Ne. Do you tend to notice your surroundings and generally soak them in? Do you act on your instincts without a second thought? Are you attracted to beauty and sensory pleasures? If so, you likely have access to Se. The questions I asked are pretty simplified so hopefully others will be able to help you too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey, ISFP's. I thought I was an INFP, but I'm not so sure anymore. I'm caught in between the two! Could you guys help me out? I'm feeling really lost, like I don't know myself anymore.

So I searched up the traits, and so here are the traits I have for both personality types.

Thanks, if you'll still come back and help me, here are some of my traits.

INFP:
-I'm attracted to sad things and the rain
-am deeply concerned with harmony and maintaining harmony is critica
-I'm very disorganized and messy
-I like to do things at the last minute
-value mercy over justice and am very empathetic
-I believe that I need to contribute to something important to life
-believe it's very important to be open-minded
-I am incredibly lazy unless I am passionate about something, then I become a perfectionist
-day dreamer
-have suffered from low self-esteem
-am more future-oriented
-have always dreamed of falling in love and living in a magical place
-my fashion style is very simple and laid back, I don't like wearing anything that'll bring too much attention to me (stuff with glitter, etc)

ISFP:
-am naturally empathetic and compassionate
-quietly and very realistically watching everything
-naturally free-spirited in a reserved fashion, realistic and spontaneous
-am very gentle
- I need variety and freedom
-am VERY naturally concerned for children and animals, natural things
-am somewhat idealistic
-Does not have great respect for rules and regulations per se
-am typically very concerned with harmony in all things
-Usually very down-to-earth people living in the present
-I DO like fashion and do care about the way I look to an extent: I dress more bohemian chic... my clothes must be comfortable. :) I'm very attracted to lace and flower patterns

I'm also starting to trust my head over my heart now. Mainly because I don't trust my heart, and that if I do, I'll surely make a mistake. I also don't think I get the deeper, symbolic meanings in things anymore, like in books. ):

One thing that also bothers me is that all the NF's seem to be so intelligent, not that SF's aren't or can't. It's just that I know so many of them who are so incredibly gifted, yet I'm just very... average. ):

I feel like school and how I WANT to perceive the world have changed me. I feel like I used to be INCREDIBLY creative, but it's all sucked dry now.

I think I just sound so much like both. Lots of help would be appreciated. :)
Wow...you sound eerily exactly like me. "I feel like I used to be INCREDIBLY creative, but it's all sucked dry now." that totally sounds like me too...I was always very artistic and creative, but lately I haven't been as much because I haven't had time for it and it saddens me...I still make an effort to do photoshop/photography and make homemade cards and things.
Funnily enough, I thought I was an INFP for the longest time too, but then I took a test and it said ISFP and when I read the description I felt I could relate to it a lot more. I think I'm somewhere in the middle of both types, to be honest.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Wow...you sound eerily exactly like me. "I feel like I used to be INCREDIBLY creative, but it's all sucked dry now." that totally sounds like me too...I was always very artistic and creative, but lately I haven't been as much because I haven't had time for it and it saddens me...I still make an effort to do photoshop/photography and make homemade cards and things.
Funnily enough, I thought I was an INFP for the longest time too, but then I took a test and it said ISFP and when I read the description I felt I could relate to it a lot more. I think I'm somewhere in the middle of both types, to be honest.
I can lose my creative drive sometimes too, when I'm feeling over-worked, too busy, or just stressed out. I think when I'm dealing with people or situations that require a fast pace and productivity, it gets me in the wrong frame of mind for artistic pursuits. Once things calm down, though, my creative interests seem to always return.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm somewhere in between too. I don't feel like I belong to one group exclusively, if you know what I mean. I'm kind of leaning in toward ISFP a little more, but I still have plenty of INFP characteristics.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think I'm somewhere in between too. I don't feel like I belong to one group exclusively, if you know what I mean. I'm kind of leaning in toward ISFP a little more, but I still have plenty of INFP characteristics.
I'm exactly the same way.. Your personality type doesn't have to be confined to just one.. I have a lot of INFP qualities but more ISFP traits.. I even know a couple of introverts with extrovert qualities also.. These personalities types are just a broad description of who you are, not really a concrete...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can also relate with a lack of creativity lately... February is usually a very empty month for me. I am usually quite creative but nothing has sparked it much and so I find it difficult to tap into... I'm sure once spring graces us with it's presence, Us Artists, will have our heads back. : P

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think maybe consider that isfp's have se or extroverted sensing as a secondary function, while infp's have ne, extroverted intuition. For me when I feel overloaded it helps me to give myself a break from language. I either cook or listen to music or look at art and just focus on how I feel about what I'm sensing. That lifts me up. I know an enfp who is very interested in perceiving social patterns, so I imagine an infp would also perceive social patterns with less effort than I would. I imagine they would be more interested in noticing social patterns or morales and communicating them. As an isfp, I seem to just wait and take things in. So I think it depends on if you feel more at home taking in the environment in a sensing way or noticing people's feelings and value patterns intuitively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts