Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been considering whether I could be a Si-dom or not. The main reason for this is that ISxJ's apparently do yearn for 'more', but in the end usually fall back into their routine, which is something I relate to. I also spend a considerable amount of time in my head and I incorporate elements of the outside world into my fantasy world, instead of focussing on what is actually happening.

Below is a questionnaire I filled in a while ago, I elaborated where possible so I hope it can clarify some things.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I used to type as an INTP but seeing how most of them act (online at least) made me realize I can't really relate to them at all and they somewhat annoy me. They probably can't help it but their over-intellectual way of writing comes off as really obnoxious to me. I know typing by behaviour is not the way to go but INTPs on the internet do tend to act rather similar to each other which made me wonder wether I'm one of them at all. (Strangely enough I don't have this problem with INTPs outside of the internet.)

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Novelty. I'm not someone who is able to follow the same path all my life, that would become stale too fast and knowing me would result in depression and extreme escapism. I need to know I'm able to switch studies, jobs, country of residence and more without repurcussions. I might not even make use of these options, I just need to know they're there.
Honestly, if possible I wouldn't enter the working force at all. Most jobs seem really monotonous and I'd like to contribute to society in a more grandiose and lasting way, as a revolutionary figure or a discoverer of new wisdom for example.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I think just after I had my last session with my psychiatrist. After having been depressed for almost 2 years it was good to know I should be able to finally experience life like a healthy person is supposed to. Around that time I'd also made some new friends, which gave me a bit more confidence in my social skills. All around I saw it as a period of change and was glad to just have become a bit more 'normal'. A part of me also hoped I would become a different, 'better' person without my depression holding me back, someone who is kind, helpful, social, smart, funny, quirky, fun and popular, because these characteristics seemed to be a guarentee for being well liked by most. I would never seriously aspire to be all of those things though, because the idea of all these traits combined into one person seems more disgusting than anything else, no one should be that perfect.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
My terrible memory, it shouldn't be so hard to remember stuff yet for me it is. I feel like people think I'm dumber than I actually am because of my tendency to remember generalities instead of all the tiny details and look down on me as a result.
I also dislike being proven wrong, although I don't know why. To soften the damage done to my ego I always try to spin it into a learning experience.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I usually start of with trying to predict all possible outcomes, if this takes too long for my liking I just go with the quickest and easiest option. If my decision involves other people I take their possible reactions into account as well. I want to avoid hurting others as much as possible since I don't know how to deal with negative emotions, which makes it really uncomfortable for both me and the other person(s) if this does occur.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
If it's a project on something interesting I'd try to make it as good as possible, mostly to show off to others how smart and talented I can be when it comes to something I care about, otherwise I'd probably half-ass it. I'm not going to spend my time on something boring when I could be doing something that's actually fun, especially when I know I could create a project of outstanding quality if I actually put my mind to it.
I do like having control of the outcome to a certain extent, just to make sure no one messes up my work.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?*
A few months back we had a school trip and there was a dance hosted on the second evening. We didn't expect there to be good music, and our suspicions proved to be right, there wasn't, but everyone tried to make it as fun as possible anyway. It was nice to see everyone let loose for once, the general atmosphere was nice as well, it was as if there was a sense of unity among everyone. I wish I could give a more detailed description but I tend to remember impressions and generalities more than actual events.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I search for all the information I can find on it and look at how it's all interconnected. I might apply it to real life if possible, but this is not neccessary for me to fully understand something.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I'm a somewhat messy person. My spaces are all cluttered, but there is always a certain order in the chaos. I can't be bothered to tidy up since it doesn't particularly bother me.
I'd like to say I'm a bit more organized in my head, but this mostly depends on the amount of energy I have. If I'm tired I'm a lot more disorganized in my head than when I'm not.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I try to understand it fully to see if it makes sense or not by asking the other person a lot of questions. If neccessary I offer suggestions that, in my opinion, improve the idea.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I've never seen the appeal of self expression to be honest, probably because I don't have a lot to express since I don't feel like I have a firm grasp on my identity. As for other people, I'd never openly judge them for their way of living, as long as they don't threathen other people's safety. I may not agree with everything they do but it's not my place to decide what they can or can't do. What does bother me though, are 'special snowflakes'. It's one thing to feel special and different, which is something that already annoys me quite a bit for some reason but isn't harmful in itself, but it's a whole other thing to feel elevated above others simply because you perceive their interests, their personality, and their perception of life to be inferior to yours for the mere fact that they're mainstream.
I like belonging to a group, to a greater whole mostly, but I usually have a lot of difficulty with actually fitting in. I do try to adapt to the people around me, but I can never quite get rid of the feeling I'm an outsider.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
That depends on who I'm with. If I'm talking to someone unfamiliar I try to determine what I can or can't say, but otherwise I speak without thinking beforehand, perhaps it would be more accurate to say I think while speaking.
The ideal amount of people to communicate with is around 5. It's not so big that it's overwhelming but big enough to have multiple things to react to. As long as I can contribute I'm happy though.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Depends on the situations. I usually try to form a plan but end up just winging it because I'm too lazy to come up with a whole plan. I'm not much of a planner in general, as knowing what's up ahead feels really restrictive to me. Despite this I wouldn't say I live in the moment, I'm quite unaware of my surroundings. I also dislike thinking about the past, because most of what has happened in the past has no bearing to the present and only illicits uneccessarry feelings of nostalgia. If you miss your past happiness then you should try to improve your current situation instead of hanging onto experiences that can and will never become more than mere memories.
I'd say intentions matter the most, but words are too easy to fake so actions speak louder than words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on what exactly they want to do, but I'd probably go out with my friends and record the show or watch it online later. I don't go out with them often so this offers a nice change of pace.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I become really emotional, although I never vent to others. I prefer to keep negative emotions to myself since I feel like opening up and letting other people see a weaker side of me will negatively influence my future interactions with them.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Unwillingness to actually listen to other people and the belief that their way of experiencing life is the only valid one. I see this as one of the biggest causes of the persistence of some problems that could have and should have been solved a long time ago.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I don't have a particular topic I like talking about with other people, but I generally enjoy discussing philosophical topics and societal problems with others, as long as it stays light-hearted. It's really interesting to gather other viewpoints on certain issues and it's especially rewarding if someone's opinion changes for the better.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
How am I supposed to know if I pay little attention to them?

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My friends perceive me as a lazy, sadistic, somewhat cold and private person. I'd say they're mostly correct, except for the sadistic bit. I don't actually derive pleasure from others' suffering (usually) but whenever I don't know how to react to something I start laughing, a lot. I also wonder how private I actually am, because I do sometimes talk about the things going on in my life, but usually in a very joking matter so it probably flies under the radar. It's not like I don't want to talk about personal matters with them but I really wouldn't know how to bring it up in a normal way and I also don't like the vulnerable position I'd be putting myself in.
My friends would never call me emotional or clingy.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I don't know, I always intend to go outside on my free days but I usually end up staying inside. What I end up doing depends on what interests me at the moment, I'm unable to determine these kind of things in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you thought of INFP?
Yeah I have considered INFP but I don't think I'm a Fi-dom. I don't have a lot of values, none come to mind at least, and I'm not really interested in self-discovery, which is something IxFPs seem to be big on. I assume I will become a better person as a result of improving my environment, but self betterment isn't something that is often on my mind. I'd like to know where you see Fi dominance though, you might be seeing something I'm not.

·
Banned
1,536 Posts
Yeah I have considered INFP but I don't think I'm a Fi-dom. I don't have a lot of values, none come to mind at least, and I'm not really interested in self-discovery, which is something IxFPs seem to be big on. I assume I will become a better person as a result of improving my environment, but self betterment isn't something that is often on my mind. I'd like to know where you see Fi dominance though, you might be seeing something I'm not.
Nowhere, I'm only asking questions. But I'm sure that you are Fi/Te.

Do you like surprises?
What is the meaning of life?
Is it true that whatever happens is only for the best?
What is beauty?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nowhere, I'm only asking questions. But I'm sure that you are Fi/Te.
Well, what do you see as indicators for Fi/Te then?

Do you like surprises?
Depends on what the surprise is. If it's something that involves socializing with a large amount of people I probably won't enjoy it too much, because I'm pretty shy and my conversational skills aren't very good. On the other hand, this might be a good oppurtunity to lessen my anxiety in social situations. Facing your fears head on is the most effective way to get rid of them, or so they say. Actually, the only kind of surprise I'd really dislike is one that doesn't benefit me in any way, like a sudden quiz.

What is the meaning of life?
The meaning of life doesn't exist. Each individual's life differs so much that it's impossible to attach one universal meaning to 'life'. Personally, I don't know what the meaning of my life is, and I don't really care. I don't think I have enough information to even form as much as a hypothesis. There is so much out there that I don't know about, I'd really like to travel around the world to discover things previously unknown to me, or even mankind. I know I could read a book to gain new information, but by experiencing it first hand I'd able form my very own understanding, without being influenced by the author's viewpoints. Basically, I want to learn about the world and analyze my findings to broaden my knowledge. It'd be nice If I could somehow extrapolate the meaning of life out of all this, but it's definitely not a necessity.

Is it true that whatever happens is only for the best?
I don't know. Every situation has it's positive aspects, no matter how negative it may seem at first, but it's definitely possible for the cons to outweigh the pros. The best course of action in situations like these is to put your feelings aside and analyze the situation so you can learn from it. Pain is only temporary, but life lessons are forever (or until you die at least).

What is beauty?
Beauty is that what is pleasing to the mind and senses, something that ignites certain feelings. Literally everything has the potential to be beautiful as beauty is subjective, thus different for everyone.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Hey!
So I think you absolutely have Fe-Ti. No way you have Fi. You "don't see the value in self expression" and all of your answers make note of how other people are feeling. So that's pretty obvious.

And I would have to say I'd timidly guess Si-Ne. It's hard to tell from your answers.

I agree with I**J. Probably I*FJ. I'd guess probably ISFJ?

·
Banned
1,536 Posts
Sorry for my late answer I was somewhat busy. And yeah hum, sorry I meant Fe/Ti.
That's why I was sure that you were Fe/Ti.

Novelty. I'm not someone who is able to follow the same path all my life, that would become stale too fast and knowing me would result in depression and extreme escapism. I need to know I'm able to switch studies, jobs, country of residence and more without repurcussions. I might not even make use of these options, I just need to know they're there.
Honestly, if possible I wouldn't enter the working force at all. Most jobs seem really monotonous and I'd like to contribute to society in a more grandiose and lasting way, as a revolutionary figure or a discoverer of new wisdom for example.
This makes me think that Ne is somewhere in your ego-block. I don't see an ISxJ saying this kind of things seriously. Ne types hate being limited in possibilities, because they are always expanding them.

I think just after I had my last session with my psychiatrist. After having been depressed for almost 2 years it was good to know I should be able to finally experience life like a healthy person is supposed to. Around that time I'd also made some new friends, which gave me a bit more confidence in my social skills. All around I saw it as a period of change and was glad to just have become a bit more 'normal'. A part of me also hoped I would become a different, 'better' person without my depression holding me back, someone who is kind, helpful, social, smart, funny, quirky, fun and popular, because these characteristics seemed to be a guarentee for being well liked by most. I would never seriously aspire to be all of those things though, because the idea of all these traits combined into one person seems more disgusting than anything else, no one should be that perfect.
Here we have Fe that is somewher in the Super-Id block. Fe want to be "well liked", and if you would like becoming a little bit like this, it's the sign that it is a dual-seeking or suggestive function.

I usually start of with trying to predict all possible outcomes, if this takes too long for my liking I just go with the quickest and easiest option. If my decision involves other people I take their possible reactions into account as well. I want to avoid hurting others as much as possible since I don't know how to deal with negative emotions, which makes it really uncomfortable for both me and the other person(s) if this does occur.
Inferior Fe again.

I search for all the information I can find on it and look at how it's all interconnected.
Could it be Ti?

I try to understand it fully to see if it makes sense or not by asking the other person a lot of questions. If neccessary I offer suggestions that, in my opinion, improve the idea.
Ti again maybe.

I've never seen the appeal of self expression to be honest, probably because I don't have a lot to express since I don't feel like I have a firm grasp on my identity. As for other people, I'd never openly judge them for their way of living, as long as they don't threathen other people's safety. I may not agree with everything they do but it's not my place to decide what they can or can't do. What does bother me though, are 'special snowflakes'. It's one thing to feel special and different, which is something that already annoys me quite a bit for some reason but isn't harmful in itself, but it's a whole other thing to feel elevated above others simply because you perceive their interests, their personality, and their perception of life to be inferior to yours for the mere fact that they're mainstream.
I like belonging to a group, to a greater whole mostly, but I usually have a lot of difficulty with actually fitting in. I do try to adapt to the people around me, but I can never quite get rid of the feeling I'm an outsider.
Well, we can say that Fi in the Super-ego block. You have a clear rejection for it. The part in bold strikes me as a dual-seeking Fe again.

I become really emotional, although I never vent to others. I prefer to keep negative emotions to myself since I feel like opening up and letting other people see a weaker side of me will negatively influence my future interactions with them.
Yeah that's how my INTP brother is too. Inferior Fe again.

I don't have a particular topic I like talking about with other people, but I generally enjoy discussing philosophical topics and societal problems with others, as long as it stays light-hearted. It's really interesting to gather other viewpoints on certain issues and it's especially rewarding if someone's opinion changes for the better.
Oh well, it seems like you may be in the Alpha quadra. So INTP/ENTP ISFJ/ESFJ.

Depends on what the surprise is. If it's something that involves socializing with a large amount of people I probably won't enjoy it too much, because I'm pretty shy and my conversational skills aren't very good. On the other hand, this might be a good oppurtunity to lessen my anxiety in social situations. Facing your fears head on is the most effective way to get rid of them, or so they say. Actually, the only kind of surprise I'd really dislike is one that doesn't benefit me in any way, like a sudden quiz.
Stop showing that inferior Fe lol. But I guess that Ni isn't here, because Ni-users dislike surprises.

The meaning of life doesn't exist. Each individual's life differs so much that it's impossible to attach one universal meaning to 'life'. Personally, I don't know what the meaning of my life is, and I don't really care. I don't think I have enough information to even form as much as a hypothesis. There is so much out there that I don't know about, I'd really like to travel around the world to discover things previously unknown to me, or even mankind. I know I could read a book to gain new information, but by experiencing it first hand I'd able form my very own understanding, without being influenced by the author's viewpoints. Basically, I want to learn about the world and analyze my findings to broaden my knowledge. It'd be nice If I could somehow extrapolate the meaning of life out of all this, but it's definitely not a necessity.
Ne in bold. And ouch, this Ti underlined.

I don't know. Every situation has it's positive aspects, no matter how negative it may seem at first, but it's definitely possible for the cons to outweigh the pros. The best course of action in situations like these is to put your feelings aside and analyze the situation so you can learn from it. Pain is only temporary, but life lessons are forever (or until you die at least).
This is why Ne is so optimistic, always able to find positive aspects in everything.

INTP seems a pretty good match. I've not seen much Ti though. But these questionaires are too bit shallow, it's hard to have an accurate result. But I'm sure that you are a thinker (your feeling functions are low), and a Ne user.
What makes you doubt of being an INTP, beside not relating to others INTPs? It would be a best way of solving this.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
INTP seems exactly right for you, and I say this as an INTP. The thing about the internet is that while INTPs normally "hide" our Ti from others when interacting with them, it comes out in spades when we write something out. Often we don't mean to be cold or patronizing, but in sharing what we know we can come across like that. For example, I got into a debate earlier today on a major conflict going on in the Middle East and I started in on my "let's look at the situation from a rational standpoint" spiel. The other person (an ISFP) came away saying, "how can you be so heartless?" I thought I was just bringing the focus onto the real point(s) of disagreement and places for change, but that wasn't how he took it. And remember that Ti doesn't necessarily feel the need to prove itself step-by-step, so making the sort of Ne-driven logical leaps INTPs tend to make drives others (even other INTPs) crazy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
INTP seems a pretty good match. I've not seen much Ti though. But these questionaires are too bit shallow, it's hard to have an accurate result. But I'm sure that you are a thinker (your feeling functions are low), and a Ne user.
What makes you doubt of being an INTP, beside not relating to others INTPs? It would be a best way of solving this.
Like you, I don't see a lot of Ti in myself, which isn't supposed to be the case with your dominant function I think. I also don't relate to the constant stream of ideas NPs are supposed to have. If someone were to ask me to come up with an idea on the spot I'd draw a blank, it's just not something I can do. I need some kind of starting point from the outside world to come up with something.
Intuitives are supposedly good at grasping hidden meanings as well, but I'm usually quite slow at catching on. Interpreting symbolism, for example, is something I'm bad at because there are too many ways something can be interpreted.

INTP seems exactly right for you, and I say this as an INTP. The thing about the internet is that while INTPs normally "hide" our Ti from others when interacting with them, it comes out in spades when we write something out. Often we don't mean to be cold or patronizing, but in sharing what we know we can come across like that. For example, I got into a debate earlier today on a major conflict going on in the Middle East and I started in on my "let's look at the situation from a rational standpoint" spiel. The other person (an ISFP) came away saying, "how can you be so heartless?" I thought I was just bringing the focus onto the real point(s) of disagreement and places for change, but that wasn't how he took it. And remember that Ti doesn't necessarily feel the need to prove itself step-by-step, so making the sort of Ne-driven logical leaps INTPs tend to make drives others (even other INTPs) crazy.
That is somewhat relatable, I feel like I sometimes come off colder than was intended on the internet as well. What exactly made you think INTP though? I don't feel like there is a lot pointing towards dominant Ti.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That is somewhat relatable, I feel like I sometimes come off colder than was intended on the internet as well. What exactly made you think INTP though? I don't feel like there is a lot pointing towards dominant Ti.
It would be easier to list what isn't pointing to dominant Ti, but overall, the degree and amount of self-reflection is a giveaway for dominant introverted judging. This:
13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Depends on the situations. I usually try to form a plan but end up just winging it because I'm too lazy to come up with a whole plan. I'm not much of a planner in general, as knowing what's up ahead feels really restrictive to me. Despite this I wouldn't say I live in the moment, I'm quite unaware of my surroundings. I also dislike thinking about the past, because most of what has happened in the past has no bearing to the present and only illicits uneccessarry feelings of nostalgia. If you miss your past happiness then you should try to improve your current situation instead of hanging onto experiences that can and will never become more than mere memories.
is so dominant Ti, it's hard to see beyond that. There's the typical Ti "depends on the situation" followed by the usual case (path of least resistance, jumping right in to answer the question), then a typical Ti non-reason ('too lazy'). Then there's typical Ti hyperbole combined with a poetic turn of phrase ("no bearing...illicits unnecessary"), and then to cap it all off, a Ti style judgment that is blunt and not universal in nature ("If you miss...you should").

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.